odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
ChefRAZ wrote:shouldn't the thumb be on the outside of the fingers for that sign? great so far.

It's not really a sign, but the thumb should be out. It's a traditional graffiti character hand gesture, with the index finger and pinkie pointing forward, sometimes the thumb is out, other times it's folded over the fingers. I try to draw it on my characters when it fits, as an homage to all of the graffiti writers that I grew up trying to imitate.

kosine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kosine

Hey guys, new here. This... probably isn't the best time to try and debut with T-shirt designs, but with the theme so "open-ended" this round, I actually feel like I can stretch my artistic limbs out. (That Eyewitness History bit was very "cramped" for me as far as ideas went because history was never my strong suit.)

Mythology, on the other hand, is! And to my joy, I have looked the list over and seen that very word as a Derby Theme. Let's give this a shot, shall we? I'm thinking... the Cyclopses. After all, good things come in sets of three.

Wish me luck!

Kore kara mo yoroshiku!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 217 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Good luck kosine! Your first derby is all about learning the ropes, and although this one will be crazy, it's a great way to get started. ^_^

---

odyssey', your crazy love design has a lot of potential! I did like seeing the meat from a higher angle in the rough. It's maybe a little too side on now. Also have you considered having a fork mark in the meat to show how they teamed up?

odysseyroc

Spiritgreen wrote:odyssey', your crazy love design has a lot of potential! I did like seeing the meat from a higher angle in the rough. It's maybe a little too side on now. Also have you considered having a fork mark in the meat to show how they teamed up?

The meat at the higher angle seemed a little wonky to me. I'll have to play with my meat a little bit and see what happens O_o

I was trying to figure out how too show some involvement with the forks. I thought about having some bits of meat in the tines, but that seemed maybe a little too gruesome. I'll play around with the fork marks when I get to the coloring stage.

I like that we have time to really get good feedback and refine our designs before putting them up for voting.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 7 Private Messages benjaminleebates

Loving the theme...
I was thinking of doing a shirt with Senile Felines for the redo of palindromes.
So I wanted to parody josie and the grapecats or the thundercats as old and senile.
One problem, I still don't quite have a grasp on how to parody with igniting the fires of the rejectionator!

Any tips on parody?

odysseyroc

benjaminleebates wrote:Loving the theme...
I was thinking of doing a shirt with Senile Felines for the redo of palindromes.
So I wanted to parody josie and the grapecats or the thundercats as old and senile.
One problem, I still don't quite have a grasp on how to parody with igniting the fires of the rejectionator!

Any tips on parody?

lol @ Josie and the Grapecats

vzfamily

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vzfamily
theWanker wrote:Here's my first entry:

I'm calling it: "Dinosaurs: Once again, nobody came to Jeff's party."

I've got another couple I want to do. One is Triceraclops--a triceratops with one big eye. Maybe that one will go mongoose (I've never really drawn in that style before).

Honestly, it looks scary! LOL But I think my husband would like it, so if it printed, I'd be in for one for him

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
ThunderThighs wrote:Since y'all tend to think graphically, this is my interpretation of the guidelines. Ignore the old; insert the new. I picked a derby at random.

Llandar, feel free to correct me.

You are 100% correct!

ashram101

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ashram101

So, if a guy like me with no design experience has an idea for an entry, does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to see the idea become a graphic? I know GIMP has been mentioned, and I've used paint.net a bit for photo manipulation, but with the number of entries that are going to hit this derby, it seems like a design is really going to have to stand out to have a shot at the top three.

Does woot have any policies against submitting a design that a member has paid a non-member to create? Collaboration was also mentioned in another post. How would one go about finding an artist with whom to collaborate?

theWanker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker
ashram101 wrote:So, if a guy like me with no design experience has an idea for an entry, does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to see the idea become a graphic? I know GIMP has been mentioned, and I've used paint.net a bit for photo manipulation, but with the number of entries that are going to hit this derby, it seems like a design is really going to have to stand out to have a shot at the top three.

Does woot have any policies against submitting a design that a member has paid a non-member to create? Collaboration was also mentioned in another post. How would one go about finding an artist with whom to collaborate?

You can always send a PM to anybody on here whose style you like. Or throw it out on here and see if somebody is interested.

theWanker

Here's my second idea so far:

I'm forcing myself to do this at this point. I really hate this style, but so many of my designs are so dark. I think it's good for me somehow to swallow this saccharine pill.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
ashram101 wrote:So, if a guy like me with no design experience has an idea for an entry, does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to see the idea become a graphic? I know GIMP has been mentioned, and I've used paint.net a bit for photo manipulation, but with the number of entries that are going to hit this derby, it seems like a design is really going to have to stand out to have a shot at the top three.

Gimp and Inkscape are your best bet for a free graphics program. Gimp is basically an open source version of Photoshop, and Inkscape is the same for Illustrator.

There are lots of free tutorial websites that can give you the basics on using either program... just run a search for Inkscape/Gimp Tutorials. I like www.tutorialized.com myself.

I don't know about paying someone else to do your work for you, but collaborating is very common. There are always a few people looking for other to collaborate with in these threads every week. I prefer that someone asks me to collab without just throwing there idea into the thread, because it never fails that half a dozen people will take that idea as their own, and not give credit to the original source.

Hope that helps..

theWanker

Maybe I should do a mashup where Jeff eats Triceraclops's head.

You know, just to get it out of my system.

JoshuaHippie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JoshuaHippie
odysseyroc wrote:Nice job on the def wildstyle. Keep in mind that Hip-Hop generally isn't well received by the audience here.

And that's a crying shame... I really appreciate that style. Got a couple friends who do graffiti and it's a seriouse art form. I say Rock out bro.

Love & Peace
- the Hippie

illuminator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator

Looking forward to this after finals. Back on the race for summer break! :D

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Spiritgreen wrote:Good luck kosine! Your first derby is all about learning the ropes, and although this one will be crazy, it's a great way to get started. ^_^

---

You are definitely right about the 'crazy' part. This derby may have the highest number of entries we've seen here... I'm fairly new, but looking at the list of themes, I havent seen any that are as open as this.

If you've ever wanted to try and enter, now's the time! But, as mentioned above, I think it's going to take something radically spectacular to stand out in the crowd this time. @_@ But, at least it's a chance for us all to draw anything we want and have fun! Very little to box you in.

Wheeeeee!

theWanker

Yeah, you can practically draw whatever you want and then find a theme that fits after the fact.

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
theWanker wrote:Yeah, you can practically draw whatever you want and then find a theme that fits after the fact.

that happens a lot. weekly. ;)

Happy Beer.

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62
Icemank91 wrote:Don't give up! Also, if you have great ideas but can't always realize them, ask to do a collab with some one!

Good luck!

vzfamily wrote:You sound like me with my photography.
As someone who has the same attitude as you, I'll say what everyone says to me: DON'T give up. Use all of this as practice to continue to improve. Just because they have good software, if they weren't talented, it wouldn't be worth anything. Perfect what you can do using the software you have. I know it gets frustrating, but if this is something you enjoy doing, keep trying!

Don't many here use GIMP? (I was under the impression that they did). If so, I believe that's free!!

Thanks. I use GIMP. It's good at the layers, but not good for drawing shapes. It also can't do the fancy half-tones (easily) that voters seem to love.

bassanimation wrote:I used to have this same attitude when I first came here.
{snip)
A lot of the time, Ebay has older versions of Adobe up for sale. Older versions are still wonderful and are just as capable as the newest version. It's all about your knowledge and raw skills. The programs can't do it all for you ^_~ Also, there is a great affordable program called Paint Tool SAI. I loooove that and it's very cheap. Open Canvas is also cheap and very popular with artists.

Try to hang in there! I have been where you are. It takes some time and practice, but try to have fun along the way .

Thanks. I'm unemployed, so pretty much nothing is affordable right now, but I appreciate the guidance.
I love doing the drawings on paper, but refining them with the computer frustrates the #*&% out of me, especially when the Gimp crashes for undetermined reasons.

I think part of the problem is I got tripped up by the FAQ. It suggests the Derby as an answer to "What if I have an idea for a t-shirt, but no previous design experience?" But that doesn't say only people with no experience can/should enter the derby.
Of course it does say, "If you’re one of those experienced, talented t-shirt designers we were talking about, contact us at artists@woot.com," in answer to "Can I design a T-shirt for Shirt.Woot?" but still, that doesn't preclude entering in the derby. So I should stop being a brat.

Well, I already have three designs as pencil line drawings on paper, two of which I'd done during the derbies but didn't have time to submit and the third I redrew (better) when I couldn't find the original. I've got a week to put them on computer, so there's no way I'm quitting this week.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
sasham62 wrote:Thanks. I'm unemployed, so pretty much nothing is affordable right now, but I appreciate the guidance.
I love doing the drawings on paper, but refining them with the computer frustrates the #*&% out of me, especially when the Gimp crashes for undetermined reasons.

When I first found Woot, I had been unemployed for about 8 months. I had contract work for a good amount of time, but at the end of summer it all dried up. I found Woot via a friend who found it via her friend, Miss Monster . I was very, very desperate at the time, so I fully understand where you're at. I was without a fulltime job from Jan 09 to Jan '10.

I wish you the best of luck! These art programs take a lot of work to master, but the basics for tshirting are not too hard. If you need help we can try and assist.

odysseyroc

I've got crazy deadlines all of a sudden, so I won't be working on my design till later, but I'll be livestreaming if anybody wants to watch me color comis.

http://www.livestream.com/odysseyroc

yoyogod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yoyogod

I have never submitted a shirt design, I have no knowledge of graphic design, and little or no artistic ability, but I did have a silly idea, so I may submit something this time. I know that I will lose, but what the hell.

Does this look like something that would qualify as an entry based on the Text as Art Derby:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
yoyogod wrote:I have no knowledge of graphic design, and little or no artistic ability

overqualified.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Aviary is a great option as well.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

theWanker

I'm so digging the dinosaur theme:

I'm trying to think of other hats that would look good on a pterodactyl.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
benjaminleebates wrote:Loving the theme...

Any tips on parody?

don't do it? do something original?

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
theWanker wrote:I'm so digging the dinosaur theme:

I'm trying to think of other hats that would look good on a pterodactyl.

Astronaut!

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

SubBass49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SubBass49

Here's the one I have so far...

Derby # 36: Text as Art

Hit me with feedback/suggestions/etc. I'd really like to grab more than a dozen votes next week...lol (wut)

sasham62

SubBass49 wrote:Here's the one I have so far...

Derby # 36: Text as Art

Hit me with feedback/suggestions/etc. I'd really like to grab more than a dozen votes next week...lol (wut)

Does "Huh?" count as feedback?

Maybe I'm just ... old, but I'm not sure you'd get a lot of votes from the over 30 ... or should I just say Old? ... crowd.
IMO, Text as Art works best when we know what it says.

sasham62

bassanimation wrote:When I first found Woot, I had been unemployed for about 8 months. I had contract work for a good amount of time, but at the end of summer it all dried up. I found Woot via a friend who found it via her friend, Miss Monster . I was very, very desperate at the time, so I fully understand where you're at. I was without a fulltime job from Jan 09 to Jan '10.

I wish you the best of luck! These art programs take a lot of work to master, but the basics for tshirting are not too hard. If you need help we can try and assist.

Thank you for the wish and encouragement.
Turns out I can afford Inkscape. And I've got a week to see whether it works better for me.
... Unless I continue to procrastinate for the next 6 days. :-7

odysseyroc

sasham62 wrote:Does "Huh?" count as feedback?

Maybe I'm just ... old, but I'm not sure you'd get a lot of votes from the over 30 ... or should I just say Old? ... crowd.

lol wut?

SubBass49

sasham62 wrote:Does "Huh?" count as feedback?

It's the LoL Wut? pear...

odysseyroc wrote:lol wut?

Ding ding ding - we have a winner!

odysseyroc

SubBass49 wrote:Ding ding ding - we have a winner!

I like it! I like the color combos too. I just know that your hard at work on that goatse design!

jupilberry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jupilberry
bluchez wrote:That is not what has been previously stated by staff (unless I can't read). The current staff comments certainly imply that you ignore the "extra rules" in bold of the previous derby, which is where "No Text" always sits now-a-days.

This is what it says to me...

Obviously you'll want to follow the design restrictions, but each Derby has its own individual rules and regulations,...

Follow the rules of the derby you are revisiting. Design restrictions and rules are one in the same.

...so for the contest just follow these simple rules:

No resubmissions. Not even "significantly altered" ones. Your design has to be brand-spanking new.

No using Derby #55c: Freestyle. Nice try, though.

No copyrighted material.

Keep it classy. No racism, no religious mockery, no drug use or paraphernalia, you know the drill.

Title Your Design with the Derby You've Chosen. We've got to be able to tell somehow.

These are rules specific to this derby. They cannot say no text since some derbies are text only. The derbies that had no bunnies, have no bunnies. The derbies that had no mario, have no mario, and so on.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jupilberry wrote:This is what it says to me...

Obviously you'll want to follow the design restrictions, but each Derby has its own individual rules and regulations,...

Follow the rules of the derby you are revisiting. Design restrictions and rules are one in the same.

...so for the contest just follow these simple rules:

No resubmissions. Not even "significantly altered" ones. Your design has to be brand-spanking new.

No using Derby #55c: Freestyle. Nice try, though.

No copyrighted material.

Keep it classy. No racism, no religious mockery, no drug use or paraphernalia, you know the drill.

Title Your Design with the Derby You've Chosen. We've got to be able to tell somehow.

These are rules specific to this derby. They cannot say no text since some derbies are text only. The derbies that had no bunnies, have no bunnies. The derbies that had no mario, have no mario, and so on.

If you look up to this post, this should clear it up.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

SubBass49

odysseyroc wrote:I like it! I like the color combos too. I just know that your hard at work on that goatse design!

Hahaha!!!! (shudder)

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 1128340

Yay! This is going to be the first Derby I enter, with a little help of a friend of mine, and I must say it couldn't be a more perfect topic for a newbie to this like me.

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle

Soooo...I thought I'd try something for the national park derby cuz I didn't have time for an entry for that one and all the other entries were so cool. Here's what I have so far:

Its Nightmare National Park...or maybe Fantasmagoria National Park? And then I wanna put something clever at the bottom like...located to the left of insanity just beyond your wildest dreams or Danger: do not trespass beyond your wildest dreams. I'm not the best at cleverness sometimes...any help? suggestions? Thanks!

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 129 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
SubBass49 wrote:Ding ding ding - we have a winner!

Oh man, I'm really sorry about this but... The LOLWUT pear is not a copyright free internet meme, it was created by the artist Ursula Vernon and then co-oped into a meme. Since the image has been floating around on the internet for awhile without credit this may not be obvious but it IS an owned and protected image.

http://ursulav.deviantart.com/journal/18607661/

I'd thought I'd let you know.

jupilberry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jupilberry
ThunderThighs wrote:If you look up to this post, this should clear it up.

That is good news! So all of my ideas that contained forbidden items when the derby originally appeared (bunnies, mario, text, earthworms)are now fair game and can be submitted. I predict that this derby will have more entries than any other previous derby!