SeedUvPain

quality posts: 11 Private Messages SeedUvPain

Hey folks,

Wanted to see if anyone wanted to collaborate on something for next week. I want to revamp this:

and i need a colorist to make it look pretty. I'll post the new line-art soon, but if anyone is interested in coloring something please let me know. Thanks!

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

Here's the latest revision of my design. Let me know if you like the steak better this way or laying down.

theWanker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker

My pterodactyl design:

logomachinist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages logomachinist

I was fond of the propaganda line "Passive Aggression: our nation's first line of defense. (but if you think you have something more important to do, that's fine too)", but Boots nailed that joke much more classily... Hm.

Anyone else feelin' like mario might end up being the fog d'jour?

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2

Argyle Kites (Patterns Derby)

2 colors on black. Feedback appreciated.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
DianaSprinkle wrote:

Oh man, I'm really sorry about this but... The LOLWUT pear is not a copyright free internet meme, it was created by the artist Ursula Vernon and then co-oped into a meme. Since the image has been floating around on the internet for awhile without credit this may not be obvious but it IS an owned and protected image.

http://ursulav.deviantart.com/journal/18607661/

I'd thought I'd let you know.

You beat me to it.

I highly suggest not doing this... Ursula V is an extremely well known artist. I'm not sure how happy she would be with someone using a likeness of her art for a contest :\.

odysseyroc

Here's the other one that I'm working on. I've got to add the dog and the cow, I haven't figured out exactly what I want to do with either of them. I'm considering dropping the cow,dog,dish and spoon and maybe making this a fake band design.

kosine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kosine

Thanks for the support, everyone! My scanner's sort of on the fritz at the moment, so I'll take a few pictures of the motif I'm working off of for the round.
EDIT: Aaand here's a photo. Because my hand was shaky, all the other snaps were too blurry... >_>

Also! Does anyone know a good way to translate "colors seen on screen" to "colors seen on shirts"? I've always had terrible luck with this in my art classes, and I expect that the difference will only be worse on a printing medium that isn't paper. Or is shirt.woot pretty good about that consistency?

logomachinist

That's why they ask you to use the Pantone color set, so they know just the ink to use. Now, if your monitor is wonky you may think you're working with a different color than you are, but they're careful about the transition to the shirt.

logomachinist

I am definitely into that Argyle Kites design. I think the subdued thing is really working for it.

clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd

This derby really really scares me. This is what I'm predicting wins:

1: Pixel Grid Mario
2: A cute cheebee cat with big sad eyes
3: A nerdy slogan

The plus side is that all three would probably stay at the top of reckoning for ever and knock nevermore down three pegs.

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62
truffleshuffle wrote:Soooo...I thought I'd try something for the national park derby cuz I didn't have time for an entry for that one and all the other entries were so cool. Here's what I have so far:

Its Nightmare National Park...or maybe Fantasmagoria National Park? And then I wanna put something clever at the bottom like...located to the left of insanity just beyond your wildest dreams or Danger: do not trespass beyond your wildest dreams. I'm not the best at cleverness sometimes...any help? suggestions? Thanks!

Since you have a sign at the bottom left, would you consider having it say "Welcome", with a monster-hand-scrawled "Stay For Dinner" or "Danger: Enter at your own risk", but crossed out with the same "Stay For Dinner"?

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

I'm most likely (hopefully) going to have a few for submission on Thursday or the days following.

I've been wanting to make one for awhile, so here is a Mr. Poe design for "Madness". It's in it's extreme rough stages at the moment:

More to come.

SeedUvPain

It's a rough copy (i'm at work, afterall) but here's what i'm thinking for the new Death Rain picture. Still looking for someone who would like to color it. I'll put up a better scan of this when i get home. Cheers!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
Drakxxx wrote:I'm most likely (hopefully) going to have a few for submission on Thursday or the days following.

I've been wanting to make one for awhile, so here is a Mr. Poe design for "Madness". It's in it's extreme rough stages at the moment:

More to come.

I know at least one person who would absolutely buy this and I will alert him when it goes up for voting.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

Why are people having such a hard time understanding these derby rules? They seem pretty clear to me...

kylemittskus

cmdixon2 wrote:Argyle Kites (Patterns Derby)

I'm not sure I like the random kite with the string that goes somewhere off the shirt. Sweet idea though and I like the two-color scheme.

SubBass49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SubBass49
DianaSprinkle wrote:

Oh man, I'm really sorry about this but... The LOLWUT pear is not a copyright free internet meme, it was created by the artist Ursula Vernon and then co-oped into a meme. Since the image has been floating around on the internet for awhile without credit this may not be obvious but it IS an owned and protected image.

http://ursulav.deviantart.com/journal/18607661/

I'd thought I'd let you know.

Wow...thanks! Glad you posted that before next week! I have gone ahead and contacted her by e-mail about the design. I basically told her that if I don't hear back, I'll assume I don't have permission, but that if she likes it and I have permission to enter it, I'd split any earnings with her. We'll see how it pans out.

koopadaisy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages koopadaisy
SeedUvPain wrote:Hey folks,

Wanted to see if anyone wanted to collaborate on something for next week. I want to revamp this:

Doesn't this fall under the first rule listed?
No resubmissions. Not even "significantly altered" ones. Your design has to be brand-spanking new.

kylemittskus

SubBass49 wrote:Wow...thanks! Glad you posted that before next week! I have gone ahead and contacted her by e-mail about the design. I basically told her that if I don't hear back, I'll assume I don't have permission, but that if she likes it and I have permission to enter it, I'd split any earnings with her. We'll see how it pans out.

I feel like that is a tremendous idea! Well done.

bassanimation

SubBass49 wrote:Wow...thanks! Glad you posted that before next week! I have gone ahead and contacted her by e-mail about the design. I basically told her that if I don't hear back, I'll assume I don't have permission, but that if she likes it and I have permission to enter it, I'd split any earnings with her. We'll see how it pans out.

That is very cool of you ^^. From what I understand she's an awesome lady. If you do get to enter the design, good luck!

bassanimation

koopadaisy wrote:Doesn't this fall under the first rule listed?
No resubmissions. Not even "significantly altered" ones. Your design has to be brand-spanking new.

Awww man... I think you're right... I am sads, as I really loved this one.

To the artist, you should perhaps submit it to another venue :D There's a lot of places that I think would love it.

ozgrl12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ozgrl12
cmdixon2 wrote:Argyle Kites (Patterns Derby)

thats really cool. reminds me of a Rob Gonslaves print

Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug
Drakxxx wrote:I'm most likely (hopefully) going to have a few for submission on Thursday or the days following.

More to come.

Now THIS is a Nevermore-inspired shirt I'd buy! :D

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

SubBass49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SubBass49
kylemittskus wrote:I feel like that is a tremendous idea! Well done.

bassanimation wrote:That is very cool of you ^^. From what I understand she's an awesome lady. If you do get to enter the design, good luck!

Well, I heard back quite quickly, and though she said she really liked the design, it was just a little too close for comfort in terms of having it sold. No worries though. She seems like a really decent person, and obviously a talented artist.

Thanks for all the support ya'll...I'll keep trying to come up with other designs...

SeedUvPain

koopadaisy wrote:Doesn't this fall under the first rule listed?

Technically speaking the design IS completely different, as is the execution. The idea is the same, but I haven't altered the original design to get a "new" result. If Eric Clapton can do a cover of 'Layla' then I can cover my own idea, right? Anyone? Anyone?

theWanker

SubBass49 wrote:Well, I heard back quite quickly, and though she said she really liked the design, it was just a little too close for comfort in terms of having it sold. No worries though. She seems like a really decent person, and obviously a talented artist.

Thanks for all the support ya'll...I'll keep trying to come up with other designs...

Well, if it's any consolation (probably not) it gave me this idea:

DrkRonin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages DrkRonin

More to come.

If the color scheme is wicked id totally be in for one!!!

Cactupuss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cactupuss

Alright, here's one of my designs for next week, inspired by an old internet joke

Any comments/suggestions are much appreciated

6 colors, the 7th(brim of the hat)is the shirts color

Derby #66: Versus: Beer can Vs. Bacon

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Cactupuss wrote:Alright, here's one of my designs for next week, inspired by an old internet joke

Any comments/suggestions are much appreciated

6 colors, the 7th(brim of the hat)is the shirts color

Which derby is this theme from?

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 223 Private Messages Spiritgreen
odysseyroc wrote:Here's the latest revision of my design. Let me know if you like the steak better this way or laying down.

Y'know, I really like the work you've put into the knife and spoon since the rough version you first showed, but I prefer the steak lying on the ground cut in half. I think it's funnier that way, and just that little bit more twisted.

I get a dangerous love vibe from this, more than crazy.

"Natural Born Kutlery" ?

odysseyroc

Spiritgreen wrote:Y'know, I really like the work you've put into the knife and spoon since the rough version you first showed, but I prefer the steak lying on the ground cut in half. I think it's funnier that way, and just that little bit more twisted.

I get a dangerous love vibe from this, more than crazy.

"Natural Born Kutlery" ?

I like that, NBK. I'm not sure which version I like better. I kind of like them both for different reasons. Maybe you're right about the other version being funnier. If I have time I'll ink and color both and see what people think during the official derby thread on thursday.

fishyfishy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fishyfishy

Sorry for possibly 'nooby' questions, first time I've been interested in participating in a Derby.

Two questions:

If I'm creating/importing something in Photoshop, how big should I make the file (pixels, inches etc.) to make sure theres no pixelation or anything if it is on a shirt?

Second, where can I get the stock photos of the tee's in different colors that I see on submissions?

Thanks in advance.

clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd
fishyfishy wrote:Sorry for possibly 'nooby' questions, first time I've been interested in participating in a Derby.

Two questions:

If I'm creating/importing something in Photoshop, how big should I make the file (pixels, inches etc.) to make sure theres no pixelation or anything if it is on a shirt?

Second, where can I get the stock photos of the tee's in different colors that I see on submissions?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there. I have found this link by eHalcyon to be very helpful, and I believe it has the answers to both of your questions. Good luck!

logomachinist

That link is wonderful and so are the ones it links to and all of those artists are beautiful people and everyone should read those words.

Cactupuss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cactupuss
Mavyn wrote:Which derby is this theme from?

oops I totally forgot!

Its from Derby #66: Versus

D3lusional

quality posts: 2 Private Messages D3lusional
SubBass49 wrote:Well, I heard back quite quickly, and though she said she really liked the design, it was just a little too close for comfort in terms of having it sold. No worries though. She seems like a really decent person, and obviously a talented artist.

It's great you're trying to respect the artist but are you sure you can't submit this?

I may be wrong but isn't this far enough removed from the original to be safe under fair use? You haven't used any of the original art and the "LUL WUT" meme was not even her creation afaik. For better or worse it's taken on a life of it's own, I've seen that pear 1000 times and until now I never knew, or cared, where the art came from.

I'm not trying to coax you into submitting(I wouldn't buy it), but I'm really curious if there is any legal reason why woot couldn't print this.

theWanker

I think this one is about done:

anjulka

quality posts: 5 Private Messages anjulka

cmdixon2, just send you a PM.

odysseyroc

a little progress on my Cat and Fiddle design