vzfamily

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vzfamily
cmdixon2 wrote:Argyle Kites (Patterns Derby)

2 colors on black. Feedback appreciated.

Love it!

vzfamily

odysseyroc wrote:a little progress on my Cat and Fiddle design

Check out the awesome Jazz Cat!! That's great!

logomachinist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages logomachinist

That is a classy feline. Can't wait for the fiddle.
(though it's a tiny thing, I noticed his tail is set a little left of center and now I can't stop staring)
~
For me, all this time seems mostly to lead to more room for self-doubt.
Here's a roughie I'm playing with

for the theme of Versus.

theWanker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker
cmdixon2 wrote:Argyle Kites (Patterns Derby)

2 colors on black. Feedback appreciated.

I'm a huge fan of your work.

This one is another cool concept, but for some reason it's just not that "wearable" like some of your others.

I think it's the idea of "argyle." It's just too--argyle. I hate argyle, and I'd feel like I was wearing argyle just wearing it.

Have you tried something more subdued instead of red? Have you tried maybe a light blue shirt (sky) and maybe dark blue diamonds with white?

I don't know. Maybe it's just me. But it's the colors holding it back. Everything else about it totally rocks in my book.

It'd also be cheerier, which is kind of what you want to go for with a mom and son flying a kite. That red and black looks better with...maybe a t-rex threatening a cupcake?

anjulka

quality posts: 5 Private Messages anjulka
truffleshuffle wrote:Soooo...I thought I'd try something for the national park derby cuz I didn't have time for an entry for that one and all the other entries were so cool. Here's what I have so far:

Its Nightmare National Park...or maybe Fantasmagoria National Park? And then I wanna put something clever at the bottom like...located to the left of insanity just beyond your wildest dreams or Danger: do not trespass beyond your wildest dreams. I'm not the best at cleverness sometimes...any help? suggestions? Thanks!

I wouldn't say it's Nightmare, far from it. I like Fantasmagoria better. For some reason, parts of this reminds me a lot of Brian Froud and Terry Jones work. Ie, awesome creatures. Hmmmm... actually, maybe a line reminiscent of Labyrinth or Dark Crystal would be good.

I will think on what would be good for this. I'm super excited about the design. What color shirt are you thinking?

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

I've got 2 designs done for the derby so far.

Visual Puns / Bugs - Computer Bugs

and

Slogans - Promises

Comments or suggestions?

ressamac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac

Making changes!

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc

I'm going to have to tweak the colors a little bit, but I think this is pretty much done. Comments?

edit:The jpeg looks a little darker than I expected. I designed this on my modbook instead of my desktop so the colors are a little off.

glitchigo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glitchigo

Hi all, I've been following and reading the site since last fall and have always wanted to contribute some art to the derby. Being a doodler by trade, I don't have much in the sheer artistic skill category, but I've decided that this derby, because of its week head-start and open-endedness would be as good as any time to make an attempt. I dug up one of my old sketches from a notebook, and after verifying that it applies to at least two different past derbies, I'm currently colorizing it.

The process so far has been really laborious for me; I've gone from Photoshop to Paint.Net trying to get a working picture that adheres to Woot's guidelines and, finally, the thing's almost done. I'm having some troubles deciding on some final touches, and would love to share it with you to get some input. I hope to have something posted very soon!

glitchigo

Oh well, never mind...I just read some additional guidelines, and it looks like my picture won't be able to be considered, as I used outlines and detail lines (extensively) that were less than 4px in my quest to not use gradients and be as clean as possible. Wow, that was a lot of work for nothing. I was having resolution difficulties from the start after using the scan of my drawing. I would have liked to at least have finished the design, but there wouldn't really be a point. What a shame too, I was really excited to be part of the derby.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

I was hard at work on a design with an owl tearing through a door when I had this idea instead, and spent several hours getting it into its current condition. I do have black in it which is going to be navy as part of the shirt, so I will only have six colors. This is for the birds derby, of course. I'd for sure like to know whether it is too boxy, and how best to remove the boxiness while still letting the grass look grassy. Other suggestions are more than welcome.

vzfamily

odysseyroc wrote:I'm going to have to tweak the colors a little bit, but I think this is pretty much done. Comments?

edit:The jpeg looks a little darker than I expected. I designed this on my modbook instead of my desktop so the colors are a little off.

Very cool - and the moon looks like it could glow in the dark!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
odysseyroc wrote:I'm going to have to tweak the colors a little bit, but I think this is pretty much done. Comments?

Niiiice. What a crazy, anthropomorphic dude, and he wails! It does seem dark, tho. And please tell me that green does NOT glow in the dark!

paigeg

Drakxxx wrote:I'm most likely (hopefully) going to have a few for submission on Thursday or the days following.

I've been wanting to make one for awhile, so here is a Mr. Poe design for "Madness". It's in it's extreme rough stages at the moment:

More to come.

Beautiful - can't wait to see how this progresses. You do have a one-track mind with that elongated, semi-triangular design, huh? I was wewaring The Clockmaker this morning... Can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve.

odysseyroc

paigeg wrote:Niiiice. What a crazy, anthropomorphic dude, and he wails! It does seem dark, tho. And please tell me that green does NOT glow in the dark!

Nope, no glow in the dark. Just a weird green.

Here's the updated version.

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
Drakxxx wrote:I'm most likely (hopefully) going to have a few for submission on Thursday or the days following.

I've been wanting to make one for awhile, so here is a Mr. Poe design for "Madness". It's in it's extreme rough stages at the moment:

More to come.

man i hope you put this on an asphalt shirt!!!
i would love this, and i know quite a few people that would love it as well B^)

JRWorkshop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JRWorkshop

I made this for the No. 33 "lyrics illustrated":
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=11253.
Since the passing of Mr. Dio I wanna make a remake. A totally different design about the same Song. A tribute for this amazing voice that left us this weekend. I hope woot and you guys like it.

glitchigo

Here's the design I was working on before I found out it wouldn't work. I was working on the flannel and it ended unfinished.

paigeg

fishyfishy wrote:Sorry for possibly 'nooby' questions, first time I've been interested in participating in a Derby.

Two questions:

If I'm creating/importing something in Photoshop, how big should I make the file (pixels, inches etc.) to make sure theres no pixelation or anything if it is on a shirt?

Second, where can I get the stock photos of the tee's in different colors that I see on submissions?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if you got an answer to this, but the shirt design max is 16w X 20L in inches. You should work at 300dpi. And you can get the templates (and more rules)on the Submission page.

paigeg

L3g3ndQ wrote:man i hope you put this on an asphalt shirt!!!
i would love this, and i know quite a few people that would love it as well B^)

Nooooo! I am SO asphalted out! I admit it's a decent color, but damn, I gotta be able to wear something else once in a while...

paigeg

odysseyroc wrote:Nope, no glow in the dark. Just a weird green.

Awesome! That moon just brightened right up. Definitely much better.

paigeg

JRWorkshop wrote:I made this for the No. 33 "lyrics illustrated":
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=11253.
Since the passing of Mr. Dio I wanna make a remake. A totally different design about the same Song. A tribute for this amazing voice that left us this weekend. I hope woot and you guys like it.

Sounds great! Yeah, Dio was distinctive, and made a mark on rock. You go - let's see it!

theWanker

Ok, I gave up on Triceraclops. And "pterodactyl hats" wasn't enough of an idea on its own. So I thought I'd parody one of my kid's activity books:

I'll try to add perforation marks to the left side, so it looks like it came out of an activity book.

I hate using Ariel font, but that's what they always seem to use. So I guess I have to suck on that.

I'm open to ideas for the last activity. Maybe a maze? Color by numbers?

paigeg

OK, I'm a glutton for punishment, so I'm going to try in the Deja Vu Derby. I'm working on this (for either Pets or Cooking - probably Pets). Calling it Chipwich, or Why I Like Catss
I have the colors down, I think (still open to suggestion), but could used advice on whether/how to texture, shade, etc. Larger version here.

theWanker

paigeg wrote:OK, I'm a glutton for punishment, so I'm going to try in the Deja Vu Derby. I'm working on this (for either Pets or Cooking - probably Pets). Calling it Chipwich, or Why I Like Catss
I have the colors down, I think (still open to suggestion), but could used advice on whether/how to texture, shade, etc. Larger version here.

I'd do a lot more shading if it were me. Add more thick lines. Darken it up. Here's a 5 minute start to what I mean, although I'd be a lot more careful about it than I was here:

theWanker

paigeg--one other thing I've finally started to learn here is to go with a color pallet that matches well, not the obvious colors that go with the image.

I've been trying lately to stick to one or two dominant colors, one secondary color, and then use the rest of the colors as just some tint of the aforementioned top 2-3.

If you look at the derby winners and the reckoning, that's the pattern for success (because it's good design and it makes for clothing that's easier to match).

gina1221

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gina1221

Oh, this is great! I would definitely wear that... even if it was glow in the dark.

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle

Okay...more progress.

Still unsure about the text...but I think I agree with anjulka that its not scary/nightmare-ish enough to be "Nightmare" national park. I was thinking maybe the bottom should say "Don't feed the animals...don't even make eye contact." Thoughts on that and other accompanying text? Also, any suggestions on the design in general would be much appreciated!

PS. It's on asphalt.

odysseyroc

truffleshuffle wrote:Okay...more progress.

Still unsure about the text...but I think I agree with anjulka that its not scary/nightmare-ish enough to be "Nightmare" national park. I was thinking maybe the bottom should say "Don't feed the animals...don't even make eye contact." Thoughts on that and other accompanying text? Also, any suggestions on the design in general would be much appreciated!

PS. It's on asphalt.

How about something that sounds inviting, but is really sinister. Something like "free candy" would probably work.

theWanker

odysseyroc wrote:How about something that sounds inviting, but is really sinister. Something like "free candy" would probably work.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Except "donuts".

Maybe have the chubby ghoul in the back waiving a white donut enticingly.

It'd have the added benefit of drawing the eye into the middle of the drawing to a center of interest. Also nudge the guy with the sign more to the left, so the path is more open.

odysseyroc

paigeg wrote:OK, I'm a glutton for punishment, so I'm going to try in the Deja Vu Derby. I'm working on this (for either Pets or Cooking - probably Pets). Calling it Chipwich, or Why I Like Catss

Hey Paige, It's cool that you're throwing your hat in the ring this time around. Give yourself a "you rock!" award for that alone.

Right now I feel like your design is being swallowed up by that grass green shirt. I'd suggest try some hatching for your shading and maybe beef up those outlines a a bit.

color wise I think you need to play with the values and saturation. Right now everything is just kind of the same and are competing with each other a well as the shirt color. Right now the viewers eye is sort of bouncing all over the place and not knowing where to stop. If you want that sandwich to be the first read, then I'd suggest darkening and desaturating all of the cat's colors, especially that pink. If you're using photohop, the Hue/saturation, Color Balance and Replace Color adjustments are great for exploring color.

odysseyroc

theWanker wrote:I was going to suggest the same thing. Except "donuts".

Maybe have the chubby ghoul in the back waiving a white donut enticingly.

It'd have the added benefit of drawing the eye into the middle of the drawing to a center of interest. Also nudge the guy with the sign more to the left, so the path is more open.

Yes! A Wile E Coyote style plate of free donuts would work.

odysseyroc

gina1221 wrote:Oh, this is great! I would definitely wear that... even if it was glow in the dark.

Thanks. I'm pretty happy with it. I just need to come up with a snappy title and it's ready to roll.

theWanker

Soooo cool.

One little thing bugging me is the green around his nose. The green there looks more like it's out of regristration instead of glowing.

Anyway, awesome.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 36 Private Messages BootsBoots
odysseyroc wrote:I just need to come up with a snappy title and it's ready to roll.

"I Diddle My Fiddle"

Nice design, Odyssey. I love the green glow.

odysseyroc

theWanker wrote:Soooo cool.

One little thing bugging me is the green around his nose. The green there looks more like it's out of regristration instead of glowing.

Anyway, awesome.

Thanks! It's hard to really tell in the small pic, but it is supposed to be out of registration and not glowing. It's like that in various places in the design.

odysseyroc

BootsBoots wrote:"I Diddle My Fiddle"

Nice to know

theWanker

odysseyroc wrote:Thanks! It's hard to really tell in the small pic, but it is supposed to be out of registration and not glowing. It's like that in various places in the design.

Yeah, it's probably bugging me more than it would many people because I do a lot of publication printing. When I see things out of registration, I'm programmed to get annoyed.

It just seems more out of register than other parts of the green to me. *shrug* I doubt it really matters to anybody else.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

OdysseyRoc - looks amazing!

Here is one I am planning to submit - I had started during the Luck Derby but didn't finish it in time to submit... it could also fit with 'Pets' or 'Ocean' I guess... any thoughts on which derby to submit it under? Not sure hoe much it matters, but wondering.
Any other design feedback/suggestions?
Thanks!

Vote!

BootsBoots

quality posts: 36 Private Messages BootsBoots
odysseyroc wrote:Nice to know

lol.