no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
jasneko wrote:OdysseyRoc - looks amazing!

Here is one I am planning to submit - I had started during the Luck Derby but didn't finish it in time to submit... it could also fit with 'Pets' or 'Ocean' I guess... any thoughts on which derby to submit it under? Not sure hoe much it matters, but wondering.
Any other design feedback/suggestions?
Thanks!

are those standard freshwater goldfish?

defenestration

quality posts: 0 Private Messages defenestration
odysseyroc wrote:I'm going to have to tweak the colors a little bit, but I think this is pretty much done. Comments?

edit:The jpeg looks a little darker than I expected. I designed this on my modbook instead of my desktop so the colors are a little off.

cool looking, but the lighting is off. There shouldn't be any highlights on the front of the two, unless there is frontal lighting, but then the shadows on the ground would have to portray that as well.

SubBass49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SubBass49

For some reason I'm loving this "Text as Art" theme...

Feedback/color suggestions/etc are always welcome & encouraged. In fact, I demand them....lol!!!

EDIT: This dollar sign is done with a bunch of slang words for money...
- Dollars
- Cash
- Bundle
- Funds
- Bill
- Bread
- Dinero
- Roll
- Tender
- Paper
- Green
- Dough
- Cheddar
- Bank
- Loot

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
defenestration wrote:cool looking, but the lighting is off. There shouldn't be any highlights on the front of the two, unless there is frontal lighting, but then the shadows on the ground would have to portray that as well.

I know. I'm breaking the rules on purpose, because I think just a straight rim lighting is just doesn't do it for me. If I had more colors to work with I'd have a much better solution, but for the 6 colors I have, I can live with the lighting being a little off.

odysseyroc

SubBass49 wrote:

Feedback/color suggestions/etc are always welcome & encouraged. In fact, I demand them....lol!!!

- Dollars
- Cash
- Bundle
- Funds
- Bill
- Bread
- Dinero
- Roll
- Tender
- Paper
- Green
- Dough
- Cheddar
- Bank
- Loot

Looks great. You've got skills with the text as art stuff.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
no1 wrote:are those standard freshwater goldfish?

Good catch... why yes they are - it seems lucky, but ... it's not.

Ummm... does it not work?

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
jasneko wrote:Good catch... why yes they are - it seems lucky, but ... it's not.

Ummm... does it not work?

i think it would work better for "pets" than "ocean". i hear the great lakes have some nice whitecap action going on sometimes.

that's just me, though.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
truffleshuffle wrote:Okay...more progress.

Still unsure about the text...but I think I agree with anjulka that its not scary/nightmare-ish enough to be "Nightmare" national park. I was thinking maybe the bottom should say "Don't feed the animals...don't even make eye contact." Thoughts on that and other accompanying text? Also, any suggestions on the design in general would be much appreciated!

PS. It's on asphalt.

Your text is grammatically incorrect. It should say, "... if I were you."

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle
kylemittskus wrote:Your text is grammatically incorrect. It should say, "... if I were you."

oh thanks! haha...embarrassing *blush* Anyway, I've edited that and I think I'm done. I've decided not to include any other text than what I have already, cuz I think it would just be too much, but thanks to Odysseyroc and The Wanker for the suggestions!

chloepolybug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chloepolybug

Workin on this as a 'Birds' submission... I think I want to make the hummingbird smaller so he's more to scale, and I'm not sure about placement yet. I'd appreciate any feedback! =)

jboshaw

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jboshaw
truffleshuffle wrote:oh thanks! haha...embarrassing *blush* Anyway, I've edited that and I think I'm done. I've decided not to include any other text than what I have already, cuz I think it would just be too much, but thanks to Odysseyroc and The Wanker for the suggestions!

I dunno... the sign just doesn't feel right with those words.

- no after midnight feedings
- what's cute is often deadly
- free cake with every survival
- do not feed the bushes / trees

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
SubBass49 wrote:

Very nice! I really like how you nested all the words and kept it very visually interesting.

jasneko

no1 wrote:i think it would work better for "pets" than "ocean". i hear the great lakes have some nice whitecap action going on sometimes.

that's just me, though.

Ok, good point! Thanks.

And is Pets better than 'Luck'?

carol2bs1grl

quality posts: 7 Private Messages carol2bs1grl

One thing that might be an issue -- Phantasmagoria is actually a computer game...I played it in high school. (Very cool at the time, I must say...lots of brain games in a haunted house....hmmm, did I ever beat that thing?) Anyhow -- I think that might violate the copyright rule? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasmagoria_%28video_game%29 If not, then just ignore this post!!

[urlhttp://imagecache.w00t.com/?url=http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/b5502c28-f049-480e-a59b-f63eded1a6a7.png[/url]

theWanker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker

Yet one more dinosaur idea I'm working on. (Yeah, I'm kind of obsessed.) Kind of a George Romero meets Daniel Day Lewis meets Jurassic Park:

I probably need one more zombie dinosaur front left.

I'm going to make the oil drip down from the top, and make the gusher look better still. Lots to do on this one.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
SubBass49 wrote:Ding ding ding - we have a winner!

First, remember that woot sells children's sizes. Second, remember that woot's purchasing public is a broad spectrum.

I think you have a design that does not mean anything to many of the people that woot sells to, so this may not fog during the derby.

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
carol2bs1grl wrote:One thing that might be an issue -- Phantasmagoria is actually a computer game...I played it in high school. (Very cool at the time, I must say...lots of brain games in a haunted house....hmmm, did I ever beat that thing?) Anyhow -- I think that might violate the copyright rule? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasmagoria_%28video_game%29 If not, then just ignore this post!!

I doubt that'll be a problem. Phantasmagoria is an actual word, and there's nothing on the shirt's design that could be confused with the game.

theWanker

My dino oil shirt coming into shape....

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg

Still unsure about the text...but I think I agree with anjulka that its not scary/nightmare-ish enough to be "Nightmare" national park. I was thinking maybe the bottom should say "Don't feed the animals...don't even make eye contact." Thoughts on that and other accompanying text? Also, any suggestions on the design in general would be much appreciated!

PS. It's on asphalt.

>sigh< Asphalt. Meh. But it does work with the design. I wonder - should the text even be there, like a 'shirt banner'? IMO it would work better as a sign for the park. If you add something like "Don't feed the animals...don't even make eye contact." , then it's starting to become a kitschy gift-shop shirt. My 2 cents, anyway.

paigeg

theWanker wrote:I'd do a lot more shading if it were me. Add more thick lines. Darken it up. Here's a 5 minute start to what I mean, although I'd be a lot more careful about it than I was here:

Thanks for the advice. yeah, I knew the lines were just too wimpy. I usually skethc and scan, then work in Photoshop or something. For whatever reason, I'm too timid with the ink when I'm finalizing a drawing for scanning. I'll work with this, but I may have to redraw and rescan to really get the lines to work.
Thanks, again!

paigeg

odysseyroc wrote:Hey Paige, It's cool that you're throwing your hat in the ring this time around. Give yourself a "you rock!" award for that alone.

Right now I feel like your design is being swallowed up by that grass green shirt. I'd suggest try some hatching for your shading and maybe beef up those outlines a a bit.

color wise I think you need to play with the values and saturation. Right now everything is just kind of the same and are competing with each other a well as the shirt color. Right now the viewers eye is sort of bouncing all over the place and not knowing where to stop. If you want that sandwich to be the first read, then I'd suggest darkening and desaturating all of the cat's colors, especially that pink. If you're using photohop, the Hue/saturation, Color Balance and Replace Color adjustments are great for exploring color.

Wow - thanks! I really am such a noob, and while I've prided myself on being 'self-taught' on most of the stuff I've learned over the years,it gets harder all the time. Maybe I should have taken at least ONE Photohop class!
Thanks - I'm gonna go play with colors.

odysseyroc

paigeg wrote:Wow - thanks! I really am such a noob, and while I've prided myself on being 'self-taught' on most of the stuff I've learned over the years,it gets harder all the time. Maybe I should have taken at least ONE Photohop class!
Thanks - I'm gonna go play with colors.

Meh, who needs photoshop class. I learned everything I need to know about photoshop on the mean streets of south Los Angeles. Me and my gang would drive around with our laptops looking for rival art gangs and have photoshop fights. We lost some good men out there, but we fought the good fight.

Ezshrkman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ezshrkman
SubBass49 wrote:

- Dollars
- Cash
- Bundle
- Funds
- Bill
- Bread
- Dinero
- Roll
- Tender
- Paper
- Green
- Dough
- Cheddar
- Bank
- Loot

I learned a new slag word for money last night... watching the first 48..
They called it "Grip"
"We were after his Grip"
PS... great job!

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle

New sign? Better? I had the brief instinct to put "free cake" instead of "free candy" and then make the tag line be: "The monsters are very real but the cake is a lie.". However...I resisted, haha.

Also, I think I agree with Paigeg that the text on the bottom doesn't really add anything so I'm not gonna include "Phantasmagoria National Park" in the design. Thanks to everyone for the continuing suggestions and help!

odysseyroc

truffleshuffle wrote:New sign? Better? I had the brief instinct to put "free cake" instead of "free candy" and then make the tag line be: "The monsters are very real but the cake is a lie.". However...I resisted, haha.

Also, I think I agree with Paigeg that the text on the bottom doesn't really add anything so I'm not gonna include "Phantasmagoria National Park" in the design. Thanks to everyone for the continuing suggestions and help!

I think the crossed out "danger" is a funny touch. Great job

weirdpuckett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages weirdpuckett
odysseyroc wrote:This is my first rough idea, it'll be underground comics style (classic comics derby).

I think it's great "AS IS" .. ..

jboshaw

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jboshaw
truffleshuffle wrote:New sign? Better? I had the brief instinct to put "free cake" instead of "free candy" and then make the tag line be: "The monsters are very real but the cake is a lie.". However...I resisted, haha.

Yes! It's perfect. Great job as always, Truffle! And you even still have time to do a design for another previous derby... haha.

anjulka

quality posts: 5 Private Messages anjulka

Oooooo.... I like this a lot. And I think that taking the Phantasmagoria NP out is good. You can always name the shirt that if you want. I'd also be really okay with it saying "free cake" (without the tagline at the bottom), but my workplace is addicted to cake.

And I second jboshaw's request for another monster shirt in this derby. :-)

theWanker

Stretched it out. Seems to fill out a shirt better:

darel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darel

Would this fit under #141: Classic Comics Style? I'm really not too sure what constitutes copyrighted material, since that one printed a Superman/Wonderwoman design once the logos were taken off.

Any comments greatly appreciated!

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62
darel wrote:Would this fit under #141: Classic Comics Style? I'm really not too sure what constitutes copyrighted material, since that one printed a Superman/Wonderwoman design once the logos were taken off.

Any comments greatly appreciated!

It would also fit under Superheroes. (I think I remember that being on the derby list.)

------------------------------

SHOOT! Print-Ready version of my Deja-Vu for Spring is 81 megabytes, which even with the work-around for sending in extra-large Print-Ready files seems ... excessive.
A vastly-cropped sample:

The trouble maker is the bird seed, but I really like the bird seed.

darel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darel
sasham62 wrote:It would also fit under Superheroes. (I think I remember that being on the derby list.)

Ah yes, thanks! I was using another list and it didn't have the first few derbies. Now I've just gotta hope it doesn't fall under copyrighted material.

odysseyroc

here's some progress on design #2

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

odysseyroc, the rim lighting looks awesome on your cat & fiddle characters. Sweet coloring choice!

Looks like you're doing great with your crazy love design too. I'd maybe like to see a bit of negative space between the knife and the meat (at least vertically). Overlapping them makes it harder to read.

I'm drawing a lot. I'm not sure giving us a whole week to work on designs is good for our sanity. Whenever I close my eyes I see halftones.

odysseyroc

Spiritgreen wrote:odysseyroc, the rim lighting looks awesome on your cat & fiddle characters. Sweet coloring choice!

Looks like you're doing great with your crazy love design too. I'd maybe like to see a bit of negative space between the knife and the meat (at least vertically). Overlapping them makes it harder to read.

I'm drawing a lot. I'm not sure giving us a whole week to work on designs is good for our sanity. Whenever I close my eyes I see halftones.

Thanks SG! I'm happy with how the color came out on that design.

I have the elements on separate layers, so I'll play around with placement a little more.

Yeah, it's crazy having a whole week to mess with this stuff. I was doing shirt designs when I probably should have been doing work that I get paid for.

Lagbert

Lagbert

Spiritgreen wrote:

My girlfriend made the observation that having such a wide open topic plus a week to do it might result in a bunch of people just stalling out do to choice overload.

I'm just trying to crank out a lot of concepts and finish designs that I didn't have time to finish before.

Got two designs done

Bugs/Visual Puns - Computer Bugs - New
Slogans - Promises - New

...and two in the pipeline

New Vintage/Word - Fresh Hot Coffee - Originally, developed for New Vintage, now being upgraded to full word art.
Steam Punk/Chinese Zodiac - Tiger of Iron and Fire - Originally developed for Chinese Zodiac, but ran out of time (90%).

theWanker

I think I've put this one to bed:

So T-Rex cupcake, this one and LMAO are done.

Still working up Dino Fun Shirt.

I've got one more dinosaur one I'd like to do. Really simple though--it's called "Fossils don't show color." I'm going to have a t-rex with tiger stripes, a triceratops with zebra stripes, and a brontosaur with giraffe pattern.

theWanker

I should add that the above design was heavily (and pretty obviously) influenced by this great Zombie design from the Spring derby:
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=41911
and the flying octopus:
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=42270

jasneko

Anyone else finding so many options overwhelming? Yipes!

So, here's something I did for 'Join the Revolution'... feedback and color choice appreciated. On Navy or Asphalt.