dsevers89

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dsevers89

Can somebody that gets it please explain the Salman Rushdie reference to me?

marcpic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marcpic

Friggin EPIC!!!

jeremytheindian

quality posts: 17 Private Messages jeremytheindian

Cry me a river!

This shirt is fun and it won the derby, stop whining! They often make "no video game references" a part of the derby rules so when they actually make it an option, and someone makes a clever well done design like this, it is going to make it to the fog and possibly win. Don't like it? Don't buy it and move along. If you day can be "ruined" by which shirt wins at shirt.woot then you my friend need to find something more important to do with your life.

Wootx16-Winex1-Kidsx13-Shirtx20-Selloutx8-Homex1-BOCx2

thurdl01

quality posts: 11 Private Messages thurdl01

I had simultaneously high and low hopes for this derby. High because it was basically a free for all and I hoped my favorite designers would really go for that. Low because there were so many derbies that hadn't gotten the rabbit-penguin-turtle treatment. And once again I'm reminded that the tastes of a large enough portions of woot derby voters is just so completely different from my own.

At least I get to save money on shirts this weekend.

and someone makes a clever well done design like this

Wait, a clever and well done shirt won in addition to the one with turtles? Could someone link me to that one, I might want to buy it.

HascAke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HascAke

Just wondering, but how are there no copyright issues with this?

luizin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luizin

Omelets made great... already sold out...
damn... i was buying and got an error message, when I tried again: SOLD OUT...

namzaps

quality posts: 6 Private Messages namzaps
luizin wrote:Omelets made great... already sold out...
damn... i was buying and got an error message, when I tried again: SOLD OUT...

Tell me about it. *crying into my steering wheel*

-JCH

genericwit

quality posts: 2 Private Messages genericwit
giostickninja wrote:I always thought shirt.woot was about printing shirt designs that people wanted to buy. Most people are not artists, and do not understand art....but they know what they like.

I second this. As a female college-age consumer who probably spends a greater chunk of change and time buying and picking out clothes than the men that frequent this site do, I can tell you that I spend very little time considering artistic merit when picking out clothing. I pick out clothing which is A) fashionable and B) that I like.

Clothing doesn't have to be art. You just have to like it enough to wear it. If you like it because it's art, go for it. If you don't like it because it's not "artistic," then you CAN take it elsewhere. I'm sure Woot isn't going to be collectively bawling their eyes out.

As for me, I'm in for one. LOVE the Mario reference. Love it enough that I bought it. Love it enough to where I'll wear it on a regular basis.

spicyflavor

quality posts: 5 Private Messages spicyflavor

The Star will overcome all.

luizin

namzaps wrote:Tell me about it. *crying into my steering wheel*

I should really cry... =[
Please woot, sell more of this shirt for only 10 bucks... we really don't care about how much time for the shipping... we just really WANT IT!

genericwit

luizin wrote:I should really cry... =[
Please woot, sell more of this shirt for only 10 bucks... we really don't care about how much time for the shipping... we just really WANT IT!

That's why you guys should check woot right at midnight! Bwahahhaa!

toymachine0707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toymachine0707

I want this shirt soo bad!!!!! is there any other way I can get it?????? PLEASEEEEEE!!!!!!

genericwit

toymachine0707 wrote:I want this shirt soo bad!!!!! is there any other way I can get it?????? PLEASEEEEEE!!!!!!

Wait until tomorrow, and you can get it for $15.

luizin

genericwit wrote:That's why you guys should check woot right at midnight! Bwahahhaa!

But I clicked and selected everything and clicked on the gold button... but when the order was processing, it redirected me to the home page with the "sold out!" message... frustrating

jeremytheindian

genericwit wrote:That's why you guys should check woot right at midnight! Bwahahhaa!

More like 1:00am for us on the east coast.

Chickeninawhat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Chickeninawhat

Say what you will about his designs being simplistic, cheap, cheesy, pandering, childish, bland, repetative, boring, rushed, thoughtless, and cliche but he sells out every time. That's a feat.

ankna226

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ankna226

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo. (((

misrymonky

quality posts: 2 Private Messages misrymonky

Love the shirt...just a bit too late. Tomorrow!

JustKevin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustKevin

This shirt is a prime example of how well video game shirts sell. So why is Woot on this "No video games." crusade?

ashram101

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ashram101
dsevers89 wrote:Can somebody that gets it please explain the Salman Rushdie reference to me?

My best guess is it's a reference to Colonel Turtle in Shalimar the Clown, but I could also be 100% wrong.

jessaminda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jessaminda

Sold out at 6am?!?!? crap

anjulka

quality posts: 5 Private Messages anjulka

Regarding Salman Rushdie, it's amazing what a little google pulls up:
Woot's original tribute
The explanation

jeremytheindian

anjulka wrote:Regarding Salman Rushdie, it's amazing what a little google pulls up:
Woot's original tribute

Still a little sad that I didn't buy that shirt...

mykexyz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mykexyz

Nooooo! Make more NAO! ::sniff::

paramecium10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paramecium10
thurdl01 wrote:
Wait, a clever and well done shirt won in addition to the one with turtles? Could someone link me to that one, I might want to buy it.

Here it is. One of Threadless' most popular shirts and "coincidentally" reprinted on their front page the day before this design was submitted. Just a coincidence I'm sure. Of course this design went that extra mile by featuring creatures that aren't even in the game it's parodying (those aren't koopas being fired, they're empty shells, but just a minor detail when you're entire joke is based around koopas learning to steer. No matter. MARIO!!!Omelets made great!!!)

misterchun

quality posts: 1 Private Messages misterchun
anjulka wrote:Woot's original tribute

Ah, my dear friend (who was actually the one to introduce me to woot) has that shirt. I love it.

Looks like I'll be paying the extra $5er for this one.

Woot.com - 4
Kids.Woot - 1
Shirt.Woot - 9
Oh, there you are Perry!

spicyflavor

JustKevin wrote:This shirt is a prime example of how well video game shirts sell. So why is Woot on this "No video games." crusade?

I agree. I love video game reference shirts.

spicyflavor

paramecium10 wrote:Here it is. One of Threadless' most popular shirts and "coincidentally" reprinted on their front page the day before this design was submitted. Just a coincidence I'm sure. Of course this design went that extra mile by featuring creatures that aren't even in the game it's parodying (those aren't koopas being fired, they're empty shells, but just a minor detail when you're entire joke is based around koopas learning to steer. No matter. MARIO!!!Omelets made great!!!)

I have that shirt. This shirt made me think of it.

flailsquared

quality posts: 1 Private Messages flailsquared

Criticism and/or Omelets made great! Mario Kart aside, I can't think of a more appropriate person to win the deja vu derby. That in itself is almost art. :P

lunixer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lunixer

Didn't they say no more video game shirts?

bmelnyk0

quality posts: 41 Private Messages bmelnyk0

Got mine just before it sold out!!!

canaryk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages canaryk

ALREADY? Shoot. I really wanted this one.

SimonWaltr2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SimonWaltr2
jeremytheindian wrote:More like 1:00am for us on the east coast.

Woot most certainly favors one time zone over others. Given that releases happen around 1am EST, most of us are winding down, or have been down for the evening. Ultimately the timing really focuses sales on the west coast.

I can almost guarantee if woot sold tees starting at 7AM EST, the vast majority of sales would be on the east coast.

mandren

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mandren
canaryk wrote:ALREADY? Shoot. I really wanted this one.

this

lovehatesex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lovehatesex

Awe, I think I just got tears in my eyes when I saw the sold out.

Can someone explain if/when my chances might be to snag one of these shirts? I know I've bought shirts from the the reckoning before... but I actually don't understand how/when/why shirts get in there :'( and I'm off to work right now and don't have time to go find it in the FAQs haha. Thanks anyone for your help!

Lets just say I've bought a good deal of crap on here, that I probably could've gone without haha!

RandomLynx

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RandomLynx

Sold out surprisingly fast. How do they determine how many they'll sell of a particular design, is it always the same or somehow based on the number of votes it receives?

I guess it's good that I wasn't interested in this one... oh I wish Nevermore or the Hungry Hippos has won :/

scarchin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scarchin
genericwit wrote:I second this. As a female college-age consumer who probably spends a greater chunk of change and time buying and picking out clothes than the men that frequent this site do, I can tell you that I spend very little time considering artistic merit when picking out clothing. I pick out clothing which is A) fashionable and B) that I like.

Clothing doesn't have to be art. You just have to like it enough to wear it. If you like it because it's art, go for it. If you don't like it because it's not "artistic," then you CAN take it elsewhere. I'm sure Woot isn't going to be collectively bawling their eyes out.

As for me, I'm in for one. LOVE the Mario reference. Love it enough that I bought it. Love it enough to where I'll wear it on a regular basis.

LOL!

Get used to it. There are a few snoots who parade around this site like art professors on a trip to the Louvre.

Ignore them and have fun!

/Love this shirt
//Have to get it tomorrow
///Love ramyb

pbandito

quality posts: 11 Private Messages pbandito

I don't get it.

Is this supposed to be Deja Vu because we've all seen silly mario kart parody shirts 73 times before?

Did the red and green turtles see all this in their mind's eye before class today?

Someone that comprehends this derby entry please explain what it has to do with the topic.

squall14716

quality posts: 0 Private Messages squall14716
pbandito wrote:I don't get it.

Is this supposed to be Deja Vu because we've all seen silly mario kart parody shirts 73 times before?

Did the red and green turtles see all this in their mind's eye before class today?

Someone that comprehends this derby entry please explain what it has to do with the topic.

It has to do with Derby 109: School.

pbandito

quality posts: 11 Private Messages pbandito
squall14716 wrote:It has to do with Derby 109: School.

Aha... so Deja Vu as in, we've seen all the derby entries before? I thought that was the idea behind the double-take derby.