IvusFest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages IvusFest
Re: Fractal Tree

The tree frog one better be second or third because that is a much better tree. Who the hell voted for this?

That being said, grates on the print!

Mattroid

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Mattroid
Mattroid wrote:Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't there a giraffe in one of those old school "movie ratings" ads they used to play before movies? Like the one for G rated movies showed a family with kids and as the ratings got higher, the younger kids would be gone or the parents would cover up their eyes or something. Then for R rated it was just the parents...wasn't there one similar to that that just had this mysterious giraffe sitting a few seats down from the family? These were cartoony, obviously.

This was my first thought when I saw this shirt but I'm surprised no one else remembers that, so I'm wondering if I'm just remembering something that never happened...wouldn't be the first time!

Found it. I was remembering there was an animal with glasses, as well, so I guess I was confusing the giraffe and the rabbit in the image below. THIS is what I thought this shirt was a reference to...was I wrong?

http://www.fiestadrivein.com/mpaa.jpg

Abidingdude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Abidingdude
arparham wrote:Love this shirt!!!! The first version is awesome as well, but I like the simpler background. Though, I must admit I prefer it without the text.

Agreed! This is a sweet shirt

Lanabear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lanabear
Re: Go with the Flow

Love the lineart, the design.. everything. Will buy immediately if it gets in. :D

gazeebo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gazeebo
finalthought wrote:Agreed. I would love to wear a shirt with this design.

Will do. I'm planning on submitting it to DBH and or threadless when i get a chance to rework it a bit

ya2sabes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ya2sabes
AdderXYU wrote:They did look the other way for other things. Half of the fog is off-theme.

All the irony of someone who took to complaining in depth about her previous off-theme rejection aside, this is a lesson in "letter of law" and "spirit of law". The critter in alex's piece, being that its entire face and body is being smeared back, could technically be anything. That it is likely a bunny, however, brings up the actual REASON for the rule. It is not a hatred of bunnies. It is a tiring of relying on pointless cuteness for a win. It is incredibly telling that people who never seem to care about thematic irrelevance are the people who would jump on some of the most artistic pieces for such a negligible thing.

Woot is a company that once rejected a cat in a pumpkin for being "already printed", and allowed the resub to remain in despite it being the exact same cat with tiger stripes. They're never going to care about fairness. But the bunny rule is in place to allow work like this alexmdc print to have a chance. In objecting, people are basically not understanding the purpose, and are condemning the exact work the rule intends to foster.

I am not going to pretend that I would not prefer the "bunny rule" to be more basic and to-the-point: no pointless mongoose would be better. No horrible designs would be best. But it is nice to see something that is an actual DESIGN have a chance. It's nice to see something artistic and wearable. Here's the difference: No one, if woot chose to reject it, would not get why they did it. I don't think anyone would have objected, only been upset they didn't do it sooner so Alex could rework it. But by them not rejecting it, most of us who are actually intellectually sound understand the why of it.

The fact is, woot shouldn't need ANY rules, because woot should just print good tees. People should not be submitting generic, repetitive crap that need these rules to come up. But until people start respecting that art is not all about money, and business has a responsibility to care about the product it sells, I don't think anyone who truly respects art cares. The rules exist to keep people who have no respect for them out. I don't think, looking at this piece, that anyone can say that Alex was at all disrespecting the theme at hand. It is, again, incredibly telling who the people are who care.

Some people like the "generic crap" the other people design. Sometimes simple is nicer. I think it's just a matter of personal opinion, so there's no need to say that all the simple tree designs are worthless pieces of garbage.

I will agree that a lot of the cute bunny/kitten tees are not good, but that's because I'm not a fan of them; to each their own.

That being said, and from a man who is fan of simple clean designs, this shirt is awesome: right on the money with the theme, love what you did with the cut outs. Hope it prints on saturday.

kaiserchen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaiserchen
Re: Tree Frog

Great!

mgherter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mgherter
Re: owl!

Dah, just bought the tree before I saw this! Sure hope it gets printed, I will break my "only one shirt per derby" rule if it does.

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan

Print!

kimos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimos

Is there any way to convince W00T staff to take a harder line on requirements to be on theme?

Great designs are pushed aside for shirts that may be good/cute/funny but have little to nothing to do with the week's theme. Seems awfully unfair to people who work hard to design for the theme and those who want to be able to buy them.

Thanks

oddlyjen

quality posts: 25 Private Messages oddlyjen
Re: Round Trippin'

If this prints somewhere else, can you PM me the info? Thanks. :p

RandomLynx

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RandomLynx

For some reason I think of the Flatwoods Monster when I see this design. But... the white shirt background doesn't really do it for me, it'd get one wear before being damaged in some form or another ^.^;;;

leozeppelin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leozeppelin
Re: Fractal Tree

Is there a way to buy sold out shirt? It was sold out before I could grab it!!!! Lazy me.

fulltruth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fulltruth
Re: 3rd Eye

good work! great concept! this should have won.

RandomLynx

Some great shirt designs this derby, half the fog options are on my want list. Now with one down for the weekend... my hope is the Cat, the Lizard, the Turtle, or the Trippy Ride got top scoring. I may find myself buying the top three this weekend.

RandomLynx

leozeppelin wrote:Is there a way to buy sold out shirt? It was sold out before I could grab it!!!! Lazy me.

Wait a little while and you'll be able to buy it for a tad more but unfortunately that's it for the ten bucks version.

mafodor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mafodor
walmazan wrote:Print!

Oh man, I hope this one does. Badass.

cswitz01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cswitz01

Give it!

anatwork

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anatwork
tgentry wrote:Yeah the melting thing is so vague that to me it could be any number of things. I actually was looking over the entire design trying to spot the offending bunny.

Haha, yeah me too!

kennykrotzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kennykrotzer
Re: In front of me at the movies

Yes! Another giraffe shirt! Giraffe shirts are the best

poris64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poris64
JRWorkshop wrote:Paul is a Dead man indeed...pretty sad to remember

too bad it's a george harrison song....

plbishop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plbishop

If I don't get a chance to purchase this tomorrow morning you were robbed!!!!

wootleey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages wootleey
Re: acid rain

I think this shirt is awesome. I really wish I could buy it..

rowanofrin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rowanofrin

A measly 7 votes...

;__;

Azurett

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Azurett

Hope it get's an Editor's Choice...I want one.

orrantia49

quality posts: 0 Private Messages orrantia49
Re: Peace and Love

I want one of these

etherealstrife

quality posts: 0 Private Messages etherealstrife
Re: Magic Ride

:-/ Can't believe this didn't make it. It deserves to be printed, if not through woot then through another site.

b1w2k3s4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages b1w2k3s4

Hey, are you going to print this elsewhere? I really want this shirt!

jluckey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jluckey

want want want want want want!

klanigan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klanigan

it makes my eyes tingle. sorry your eye can't see it. That's the point!

srtramsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srtramsey

I would totally buy this and wear it!

jrolston

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrolston
Re: Bucking Bronto

This is outstanding! Any way I can buy one?

doabarrelroll16

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doabarrelroll16
Re: Strawberry Fields

... i would have bought it...

skippykj

quality posts: 16 Private Messages skippykj

does anybody know if this has printed anywhere else yet?
I was really hoping Woot would print it being an Honorable Mention but it's been a month. I still love this shirt and hope it hasn't been given up on.

voltylicious

quality posts: 5 Private Messages voltylicious

The absolutely best reaction i got for wearing this t-shirt:

"Without looking, what's on your shirt?"
-- "er... schroedinger's cat!"
"How do you know without looking?"

makaveli456

quality posts: 0 Private Messages makaveli456
Re: broccoli jam

Is this shirt for sale?

makaveli456

quality posts: 0 Private Messages makaveli456
Re: Groovin'

Where can I buy this shirt?

gatormania31791

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gatormania31791

i want one so hard!!

Jussslic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jussslic

I'm a firm believer that this is the best piece of artwork ever submitted at Woot.

crafty23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crafty23
Re: Turtley Trippy

I want one of these!