thorntizzle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thorntizzle
jragnar1 wrote:whats with alll the Devo stuff? Isnt this like the 3rd Devo shirt in a week?

derp

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

Congrats to Kasey. Cool design.

koneco

quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco
MegatonPunch wrote:There hasn't been a really good shirt in about 6 months. This as editors choice shows why woot has fallen off so badly. These days they lean towards the cutsy. The sort of thing I'd dress a child in, but never wear.

Notice how all the contests say no video games, no etc etc etc. They stop the artists from submitting what we want in an attempt to make the site more populist. The result is milktoast. Nothing good, nothing interesting.

I so used to love woot. Unfortunately those days are gone.

To the artist: Great piece of art. I don't mean to detract from your work. I love the design, but it's just not devo. Monkeys are Evo, not DEvo. I've never seen an official devo shirt with a monkey.

Serious woot connoisseur is serious.

koneco

quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco
ChefRAZ wrote:I'm probably the only one who thinks that heather grey should be used only by sports merchandisers like Adidas. there was a time when I used to only wear H grey, then I stopped playing freestyle frisbee.

Or working at a job which requires you to w-w-w-w-WORK.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots

Congrats, congrats! Great design, Kasey!

MadamAtom

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom
Draug wrote:Wooh! Congrats, kasey! This almost makes up for the time when you should have gotten an HM for that totally awesome derby entry you once did.

Hear, hear!

... any chance of that one printing somewhere?

elviswind

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elviswind
jragnar1 wrote:whats with alll the Devo stuff? Isnt this like the 3rd Devo shirt in a week?

Must be some crazy sort of coincidence.

Chikitory

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chikitory

I think the comment "Quite good" would be portrayed as a hint. The idea of DEVO as a music group would indicate that the music is mind stimulating to the Chimp.

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing

Congrats! I think it's quite good as well and was hoping to see this pop up here. Love that it's on grey too!

khfour

quality posts: 0 Private Messages khfour

Every time I look at this, I see Gorilla Grodd, from The Flash series.

Then again, my superhero-based mind always thinks this whenever it sees a talking monkey...

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5

of the two versions of this, you picked the crappy one... well done, woot.

poplust

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poplust

Love it! I'm a huge DEVO fan, & I joined 'woot!' just to get this design! Also, I really like gray shirts... I'm a happy ol' spud.

bamaster

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bamaster

For some reason I hear John Cleese's voice when reading this. But I want to hear Morgan Freeman.

geo8rge

quality posts: 33 Private Messages geo8rge

PAGLIA thinks the shirt is stoopid and wouldn't be seen with a guy wearing one even if she weren't a lesbian.

"American men remain perpetual boys, as shown by the bulky T-shirts, loose shorts and sneakers they wear from preschool through midlife."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/27/opinion/27Paglia.html

(Overall signature size was getting large. Recommended signature size is 5k.)

jynxman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jynxman

Ugg.Quite bad.

HannaDisaster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HannaDisaster

YAY!

kaseyfleming

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaseyfleming

wow, this was totally unexpected woot! thanks everybody for comments and voting. Double thanks to the woot staff for picking this design to print! DEVO!!!!!!!

HannaDisaster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HannaDisaster

just a little fyi...kasey fleming is a DUDE.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
HannaDisaster wrote:just a little fyi...kasey fleming is a DUDE.

LOL, you know, I have never quite know this, but thank you for clearing it up!!! I'm so sorry, Kasey! I've know girls with the same name, so yeah..cool, now I know. ^^

If it makes you feel any better, peopel were super sure I was a dude when I first came here ^^.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
MegatonPunch wrote:There hasn't been a really good shirt in about 6 months. This as editors choice shows why woot has fallen off so badly. These days they lean towards the cutsy. The sort of thing I'd dress a child in, but never wear.

Notice how all the contests say no video games, no etc etc etc. They stop the artists from submitting what we want in an attempt to make the site more populist. The result is milktoast. Nothing good, nothing interesting.

To the artist: Great piece of art. I don't mean to detract from your work. I love the design, but it's just not devo. Monkeys are Evo, not DEvo. I've never seen an official devo shirt with a monkey.

There hasnt' been much cutesy here in a awhile, actually. Back in late May there were two 'cute' shirts, but even then they are the only two in a good amount of time.

As for no video game shirts, there's been very few video game derby shirts, but there's been some great daily ones.

Nougatrocity

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Nougatrocity

Wow. Whoever came up with the color for this one should get a gold star sticker or something.

kaseyfleming

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaseyfleming
MadamAtom wrote:Hear, hear!

... any chance of that one printing somewhere?

lol. i reworked some stuff on it and its getting ready to go up for voting at threadless.
http://www.threadless.com/submission/282257/LES_FILLES_L_ESPACE

iminderman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iminderman

Disappointed. I thought there were much stronger and more elegant designs.

CheapJoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CheapJoe
ChefRAZ wrote:I'm probably the only one who thinks that heather grey should be used only by sports merchandisers like Adidas. there was a time when I used to only wear H grey, then I stopped playing freestyle frisbee.

I'll back you on this one. Woot has ruined (for me, anyway) an exciting derby concept and a good design by printing it on the tackiest shirt color known to man or chimp.

texastarkus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages texastarkus

Q. ARE WE NOT MEN?
A. WE ARE DEVO.

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
MegatonPunch wrote:There hasn't been a really good shirt in about 6 months.

As much as I don't care for most of woot's prints, this is not remotely true.

jmmbell1987

CheapJoe wrote:I'll back you on this one. Woot has ruined (for me, anyway) an exciting derby concept and a good design by printing it on the tackiest shirt color known to man or chimp.

Heather grey is also one of the best canvases for making colors pop. I've never understood why people are so quick to dismiss it even when it's the best possible color for the design (see Flying and Zombie Robot Vampires from Space).

I'm wearing the latter at this moment. It looks awesome, and heather is perfect for it. I would never wear a heather grey blank tee. Woot doesn't sell blank tees. To each their own, but I think ruling out heather grey is giving into a silly hangup and ignoring the truth= a good design on heather changes everything about it and looks fantastic.

elviswind

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elviswind
kaseyfleming wrote:lol. i reworked some stuff on it and its getting ready to go up for voting at threadless.
http://www.threadless.com/submission/282257/LES_FILLES_L_ESPACE

Awesome . . . be sure to let us know when we can vote.

Belimoth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Belimoth

This is actually the first shirt in a while that I can see myself wearing.

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

Congrats Kasey!

UniversalSnip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages UniversalSnip

How is disallowing what the people want populist?

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129

Congrats, mega-talented Kasey!

jmmbell1987

MegatonPunch wrote:

When woot allows video game references in derbies, the result tends to be uninteresting, milquetoast crap. That's one of the best rules in the derbies, and one of the few things keeping woot from devolving into teefury.

NaryaMithrandir

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NaryaMithrandir

Can anyone tell me what on earth Devo is?!

kippyj

quality posts: 12 Private Messages kippyj

Devo themselves voted on this one?

Huh. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but then I'm not Devo.

"I love your red hair. It's not very common and YOU are FAR from common." Tom Harris

kippyj

NaryaMithrandir wrote:Can anyone tell me what on earth Devo is?!

A rather famous band. Try googling them. Youtube would supply even more info.

"I love your red hair. It's not very common and YOU are FAR from common." Tom Harris

kippyj

jmmbell1987 wrote:When woot allows video game references in derbies, the result tends to be uninteresting, milquetoast crap. That's one of the best rules in the derbies, and one of the few things keeping woot from devolving into teefury.

I don't believe we've met, but I LOVE that you can spell Milquetoast (although you may have wanted to add "Casper," "Caspar?") in front of it. I forget which way it's spelled. Still, I'm impressed, and that actually takes a lot for a girl like me. Kudos to you!

kippyj

kaseyfleming wrote:wow, this was totally unexpected woot! thanks everybody for comments and voting. Double thanks to the woot staff for picking this design to print! DEVO!!!!!!!

Hmmm...I was actually under the impression that Devo themselves picked out your design. I could be wrong (doesn't happen often, but occasionally). Wouldn't it be great if you went on youtube (for example) and got a sample of Devo?

In any case, grats to you!!! Really!!!

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
koneco wrote:Or working at a job which requires you to w-w-w-w-WORK.

I hope that was a joke.
Seriously? I probably work harder at my job then most workers will ever do. I just happen too love what I do. Had too stop soda because of the hbp I got from the stress.

mathusrayn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mathusrayn
jmmbell1987 wrote:Giving up after a few weeks on woot is like a forty-niner giving up after panning in one creek. The good stuff emerges eventually, you just have to wait for it. Trust me. It's worth it.

Never mind the fact that I'd say that this shirt qualifies as "decent". It's not something I'd wear, but I still think it's pretty damn decent.

Disagree. Weeks is plenty long especially since before the mountains of suck there were great shirts every other day. Also, this shirt is a chimp. Relevance and meaning aside, it's still just a picture of a chimp. Wooo...