jerschroe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerschroe

maybe this was covered elsewhere..but..

why does the light text in the background say 'all that GLISTERS is not gold'??

acallens80

quality posts: 2 Private Messages acallens80

Another week where humor trumps truly well drawn art 2-1 in the derby. Sad. There was some remarkable art in the mix this week.

SatharRicale

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SatharRicale

I'm an English Major, and this is freaking epic!

venturboy

quality posts: 4 Private Messages venturboy
Kudospop wrote:I'm with the conspiracy camp that Shakespeare was more than one person.

I'm in the conspiracy camp that Shakespeare was actually Elvis.

jerschroe wrote:maybe this was covered elsewhere..but..

why does the light text in the background say 'all that GLISTERS is not gold'??

Because that's what the original quote says.

www.phrase.org.uk wrote:The original Shakespeare editions of The Merchant of Venice, 1596, have the line as 'all that glisters is not gold'. 'Glister' is usually replaced by 'glitter' in renditions of the play:

MOROCCO:
There is a written scroll! I'll read the writing.
All that glitters is not gold;

Clearly, as someone who would rip a Cliff Notes book in half, Shakespeare would want the original quote to be on the shirt, and not a modernized version.

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

Really great. Well deserved!

Craigmar

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Craigmar
acallens80 wrote:Another week where humor trumps truly well drawn art 2-1 in the derby. Sad. There was some remarkable art in the mix this week.

Amen. Really inside humor at that. If you wear it any place but the faculty lounge or the poetry reading people will give you strange looks. I would have bought a couple of the others.

meekaboo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages meekaboo

Yay! I bought my first Woot! shirt! My life finally has purpose!

OblivionAngel

quality posts: 8 Private Messages OblivionAngel

EPIC!!!

If I was an English teacher I'd wear this...

I wish I was an English teacher...

howwow90

quality posts: 2 Private Messages howwow90

I'm torn between whether or not to buy this shirt.

nerdtasticalone

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nerdtasticalone

Yeah, the shirt I wanted!

mikeymac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikeymac
Kudospop wrote:I'm with the conspiracy camp that Shakespeare was more than one person.

So am I! Shakespeare was just Francis Bacon's literary front man!

Silhou3tte

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Silhou3tte

This is strangely relevant to my night since I just got back from the Twelfth Night 20 minutes ago and we have the Cliffs-Notes version downstairs.

missmissa07

quality posts: 12 Private Messages missmissa07

Okay, I'll admit it. I am an English major and made it through my Shakespeare class thanks to Sparknotes. Only read 2 of the 6 plays the whole semester and still ended up with a B- in the class. It was exciting. I'm much more into modern American poetry, so Shakespeare is kind of the opposite of what I'm interested in...Plus, we didn't even discuss Shakespeare's poetry in that class. Whatsupwwiththat?!

UniversalSnip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages UniversalSnip

What a hilarious image - truly LOLed. I'm not sure I feel english-dweeb enough to make this statement so forcefully on a shirt though. You're committing a lot of your presentation to it.

Craigmar wrote:Amen. Really inside humor at that. If you wear it any place but the faculty lounge or the poetry reading people will give you strange looks. I would have bought a couple of the others.

Are you kidding? What kind of dip wouldn't get this?

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
howwow90 wrote:I'm torn between whether or not to buy this shirt.

You mean you're having a "to buy or..."

No, I can't do it.

maraquin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages maraquin
OblivionAngel wrote:EPIC!!!

I am an English teacher, and I will be wearing this to school. Thanks, Woot! Congratulations to the artist, as well. Also, statistically speaking, a student caught using Cliff's Notes in my class would have a better chance of being struck by lightning searching for a bucket on the dark side of the moon while wearing an Easter Bunny costume on the first Thursday in the Cambodian New Year than to receive a D- or better on the assignment they had cheated on.

maraquin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages maraquin
missmissa07 wrote:Okay, I'll admit it. I am an English major and made it through my Shakespeare class thanks to Sparknotes. Only read 2 of the 6 plays the whole semester and still ended up with a B- in the class. It was exciting. I'm much more into modern American poetry, so Shakespeare is kind of the opposite of what I'm interested in...Plus, we didn't even discuss Shakespeare's poetry in that class. Whatsupwwiththat?!

. . . Um. . . Shakespeare's plays are poetry. . . Carry on. . .

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 222 Private Messages Spiritgreen

In the immortal words of the bard, "Whoa."

Wait, that was Keanu... well it totally applies, I'm stunned to see this up because there were SO many great shirts in the derby this week. Hats off to jasneko, Drakxxx, tgentry, tjost, cmdixon and DeadFrog, really amazing designs.

Thanks to everyone who supported it! Now if you're reading this, and you're probably not as it's July 4th, get back to the party!

:^)

mybell

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybell
lshaw3 wrote:I bought all three. And a friend also bought the winner for me knowing I would love it. So, I am now that girl with FOUR Shakespeare shirts! Although, I do teach high school English, so I do have an excuse! ;)

Awesome. I never liked english until my junior year, when I was lucky enough to have a teacher who made it fun. My teacher would have loved this. I bet you are a great teacher.

mattlscc

quality posts: 34 Private Messages mattlscc

This is great, but there are somethings that Cliff Notes are just better for.

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

really was hoping for CMD's shirt. Nothing against this particular shirt, mind you. No sour grapes (of wrath). I suppose if this had been a Steinbeck derby, I'd feel more that way.

Sardinicus

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Sardinicus

This is funny to those of us of a certain age, but I think you'll get some confused looks from the kids these days, who are all about the SparkNotes.

Hard to tear a website in half, though.

eleuthero

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eleuthero
tjsynkral wrote:Wow, can Woot really get away with the Cliff's Notes trademark?

Woot is critiquing Cliff's Notes (and also hasn't used the full name of the company--though that wouldn't count for too much):
From Title 17, Circular 92, chapter 1 (US Code):
§ 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use40

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include...

MadamAtom

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom
CaptainWes wrote:Who'st among thou appreciates english that doesn't read like English.

Nor every ear requires a modern cant,
Nor every brain self-limits to the new.
There’s some amongst us take a longer view
And find delight in old things brilliant.

Whoso amongst you sees things otherwise,
Thy point of view is valid, but not lone;
Diverse opinions live beside your own,
And in denying them foolishness lies.

For you, no taste of the Pierian spring;
’Tis well; but as for me, the shirt’s the thing.

... right. I was waffling (Three shirts in one weekend? All of them Shakespearean? Two of them cream?), but I think I'm now obliged to buy this.

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

and Happy July 4th everyone!

IgnatiusRiley

quality posts: 1 Private Messages IgnatiusRiley

Geez. There were three shirts in the fog this week that I definitely would have bought, and none of them place. I'm officially tired of this site. The best ones never win.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots

Congrats on the print, Spirit. It's a fun design.

And happy fireworks day, anyone who's reading this!

tattooedbear

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tattooedbear
JadenKale wrote:My friend invented Cliff's Notes. When I asked him how he got such a great idea, he said, "Well, first I... I just... well, to make a long story short...

XP

Hahahaha. Awesome.

singinintheraino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages singinintheraino

I am so happy that this shirt made it through. As a high school English teacher, I could not think of a more perfect shirt for myself! Kudos to you, Spiritgreen!

YinofYang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages YinofYang

First of all, let me congratulate you, Spiritgreen on your win! You did a good job twining together Shakespeare and humor.

Is there still hope that any of the others will print? I'm a bit brokenhearted that Drak's or Deadfrog's isn't here...I was really digging the artwork.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 222 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Awww thanks, singinintheraino! That's a lovely thing to say. :^)

YinOfYang - there's definitely a chance more of the shirts from the derby will print.

Woot will pick some honorable mentions and they'll compete in the next double take derby. There are four of those a year.

Also, the rights revert back to the artists after 60 days and they get to pitch them to other sites. I can definitely see all of the contenders getting printed (and hopefully quite a few more, like Walmazan's Romeouse and Julirat!)

coniahg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages coniahg

I love this design! It quite hilariously drives home a valid point.

Vocatus atque non vocatus deus aderit

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 11 Private Messages SeedUvPain

Congrats on the print! I knew this was going to win as soon as I saw it tearing up the charts.

mcfad3kern

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcfad3kern

I'm very glad this design printed. Had my fingers crossed. I ordered mine late last night.

Any chance a MUG might happen down the line, SpiritGreen??

cwhieldon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages cwhieldon

Shakespeare was King James. Malcolom X told me.

RussilloSM

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RussilloSM
*cue pendants ranting about being able to rip a book in half*

These pendants?

:-)

scfrome

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scfrome

Last wooter to woot: scfrome

Yea! My sister in law (also a H.S. english teacher) will LOVE this! Great Job!

nerdtasticalone

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nerdtasticalone

How are these not sold out yet? Seriously.

Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15
Nekkochan wrote:You mean you're having a "to buy or..."

No, I can't do it.

Oh wow...

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

straind

quality posts: 0 Private Messages straind
OblivionAngel wrote:EPIC!!!

If you were awake in English class, you should have learned that the proper way to say that is "If I were an English teacher...." If I were an English teacher, I'd get tired of reminding everyone about subjunctive case. Luckily, my father was an English teacher, and my wife still is an English teacher, and I paid attention in class.