goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

substandardtim wrote:man this is the one I wanted and it's sold out!

This shirt will be for sale again starting tomorrow--here, at $15. All shirts continue to be sold after the first day. A shirt will remain for sale (at $15) until reckoned.

yesterdaysjam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yesterdaysjam

I am happy to say that this is the first woot shirt I've chosen to purchase. Great idea and lovely artwork! <3

venturboy

quality posts: 4 Private Messages venturboy
sstrunks5555 wrote:Wait, where are the orbitals?

the whole electrons-on-a-ring-track model is not accurate ;_;

I want an atom shirt with s and p orbitals.

It's not "not accurate." It's vintage retro!

08riehlet wrote:To many electrons to be a carbon Atom, it could be a carbon -2 ion, I suppose.

Carbon has six total electrons in its neutral state. Ramyb chose to represent all of them, rather than just the four valence ones. He did, however, make the four valence ones angry, ready to react, and the two in the 1s shell crying, sad that they could not react. Also, the 1s electrons are closer to the nucleus than the 2s and 2p electrons, although it is true that all s electrons could be anywhere in a sphere around the nucleus.

Cornelius wrote:Is this carbon ... or carbon 14? I see noticeably more than 6 neutrons, so I have to assume this shirt tells the world "stay away".

Looks like carbon-13 to me, so feel free to wear this shirt without fear of mutation!

ijestha wrote:If you loose an electron you get a carbon with a negative charge, a VERY strong bass. If it were to loose a proton you would get a positively charged nitrogen.

Go Chemistry! Ha!

Dude. Dude. Electrons are negative and protons are positive. We usually think of atoms as neutral because they have an equal number of electrons and protons. So, if you have 0, and you lose an electron (i.e. subtract -1), you get +1, a carbon with a positive charge. This carbon is not a base at all, since it is unfavorable to the point of impossibility for it to donate electrons or deprotonate another compound. It's actually an acid, an electron acceptor, although you would never see a carbon floating around in nature with 5 electrons, since it would bond with something else long before it ever got to that point. If you lose a proton, through some miracle of science, you would have 0 - (+1) = -1, a negatively charged boron.

Go Chemistry indeed!

the88thcrazy

quality posts: 10 Private Messages the88thcrazy
albinoapple wrote:Why is the placement for this shirt so high? It's almost touching the collar!

Take note that you're looking at the animated representation of the shirt, not the actual shirt itself.

it usually specifies the placement in the description

Kseamon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kseamon
venturboy wrote:If you lose a proton, through some miracle of science, you would have 0 - (+1) = -1, a negatively charged nitrogen.

So I totally agree with what you said up to this point, but taking a proton from carbon would actually give you a negatively charged boron, not nitrogen. The isotope boron-11, to be exact, which is actually the most abundant form (assuming of course that this shirt is portraying the common carbon-12 to begin with).

Sorry, as I realize this is completely unrelated to the shirt, but I second (third, I suppose) the go chemistry!

jessebuynothing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jessebuynothing

sold out?! ah, gutted! i really wanted one...

krdove

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krdove

Oh NO! I missed it and it's sold out...... This is where I start lamenting and stalking the reckoning, hoping for my missed shirt....

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

jessebuynothing wrote:sold out?! ah, gutted! i really wanted one...

krdove wrote:Oh NO! I missed it and it's sold out...... This is where I start lamenting and stalking the reckoning, hoping for my missed shirt....

Don't hope, don't lament, don't stalk, but KNOW: This shirt will be for sale again starting tomorrow--here, at $15. ALL shirts continue to be sold after the first day. A shirt will remain for sale (at $15) until reckoned.

phenolholic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phenolholic

fack. i'm a physical chemist by trade and this shirt was sooo me. slept on it and now they're all gone

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
yankeebird wrote:To be fair, mod, if this is a new user (the account was just created today), he/she probably doesn't know it's going to be available for $15 tomorrow, so the ALL CAPS and "dude" was probably a little over-the-top. Nor did he/she know not to post personal info in threads. And who exactly would you have him/her PM since it's a generic shirt request? He/she has no idea who may be willing to part with a copy.

{{Mod note: Ahh, do not chide, dear sir--only pity me for my poor communication skills. Please consider the note within that post as directed not so much towards the user--which,yes, it ostensibly was--but more towards all those reading the thread and all those who have done and will do as s/he. A little meta exasperation, perhaps. Also... yeah.}}

Can I at least chide you for calling me sir? Don't the ruffles on the shirt in my avatar give it away that I'm of the female sort?

{{Mod note: EEK!! Madame, madame! Oh, madame, I apologize! *cries tears of shame*}}

hmerwin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hmerwin
phenolholic wrote:fack. i'm a physical chemist by trade and this shirt was sooo me. slept on it and now they're all gone

Please do not dispair. This shirt is available on our Reckoning page.

tdang823

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tdang823

Hmm... FedEx says my package for this is 10.5 lbs/4.8 kg...an anomaly?

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

I think it is appropriate and fair to post this on this thread:

Yourkiddingright wrote:Uh oh....

Again from DA

image is link

?

CelticWabbit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CelticWabbit
Jestik wrote:I think it is appropriate and fair to post this on this thread:

?

Clearly different. I mean, that's like an Argon isotope or something. Clearly not Carbon!

cmcclean22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmcclean22

Got my shirt just in time for my O-Chem final exam! I am excited. I wonder what the return policy is if I don't get a good grade...

winnie71

quality posts: 1 Private Messages winnie71
cmcclean22 wrote:Got my shirt just in time for my O-Chem final exam! I am excited. I wonder what the return policy is if I don't get a good grade...

Just copy someone else's work, like this 'artist' did, and you'll do fine.

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8
CelticWabbit wrote:Clearly different. I mean, that's like an Argon isotope or something. Clearly not Carbon!

Oh really?

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

LOLcommunism

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LOLcommunism

?

Ehl oh Ehl, why didn't this come up sooner

Would you kindly...

ichimunki

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ichimunki

It sure is similar, but I think it's one of those ideas that's more about execution than originality.

http://www.particlezoo.net/index.html

bpr2

quality posts: 175 Private Messages bpr2

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=atom#/d9uj4z umm, woot! take a look. Another ripped off design by this guy.

Please stop allowing ramy and seik to sell here!

that was fun while it lasted!

number37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages number37

I randomly saw someone wearing this shirt at a local restaurant today. I have never come across anyone else wearing a Woot shirt before.

bpr2

number37 wrote:I randomly saw someone wearing this shirt at a local restaurant today. I have never come across anyone else wearing a Woot shirt before.

I hope that you told this person that he or she is supporting people who steal other’s art.

number37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages number37
bpr2 wrote:I hope that you told this person that he or she is supporting people who steal other’s art.

Ha, no I did not. That may be the case, but this was my favorite restaurant and I don't want to get banned. A screaming rant directed at someone across the room might cause a scene.

bpr2

Woot, why do you still have this for sale? The evidence that this is stolen art is damning.

Hodakaroadtoad

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Hodakaroadtoad

I agree.. the representation of an atom with a smiley face is not something new..

What next, do we condemn someone for representing a Sun with a smiley on it too? That's not common at all, is it?

katreenz wrote:By that standard then the evidence is even MORE damning that your evidence is stolen art.

http://images7.cpcache.com/product/248228447v3_480x480_Front.jpg

http://images.clipartof.com/thumbnails/94431-Royalty-Free-RF-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Happy-Smiling-Atom-Face.jpg

http://idahoptv.org/dialogue4kids/images/season11/chemistry/atom_face.gif

http://mammamacie.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/atom-smiley-face.jpg?w=82&h=100

vegetablelove

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vegetablelove

I really struggle to see how this shirt could constitute plagarism- "protons looking happy and electrons looking sad" isn't such a unique and unusual idea that it's impossible to imagine two people coming up with it independently, and the execution of the idea is different enough to the DeviantArt piece that it's not really plagarism even if that's where the idea comes from. It's in a different style and composed differently, has a carefully chosen colour scheme and is just a lot more well executed than any other example of the idea I've seen. I'm not sure this would ever have won the Derby if there wasn't originality in it- the piece it's allegedly plagarising is, IMO, rather ugly and wouldn't fit on a shirt at all.

That's not to say I don't feel a little guilty about having bought this thing, or that there aren't valid reasons to want to boycott it. But it pretty obviously isn't equivalent to the Nom-ination shirt, which is near identical, uses an idea that's far less general and copies another bit of clothing as opposed to a sketch.

basstone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages basstone

I am a proton as people try to figure out this shirt. Electron when I have to explain it.

zoundwave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zoundwave

@ Posters claiming that the design is plagiarized: If you read half the previously-made posts dissecting the chemistry evident in the design, it's clear that the design itself is original in that some thought went into the facial expressions of individual particles, unlike in the sketch that you posit is proof of thievery. In that one, the electrons are not too dissimilar from some of the neutrons/protons; your sketch artist is in fact less artistic, oh the irony.

And honestly, how hard is it to come up with the idea of negative-feeling electrons, positive-feeling protons, and neutral-feeling neutrons? It's not so brilliant that it could be subjected to such any copyright scrutiny. Otherwise, everyone who's ever written a love song or poem is plagiarizing some poor cave man. And lets face it,
that dude was a genius; who's going to stand up for his rights?

monotonouslangour

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monotonouslangour
rawfish wrote:A carbon atom contains 6 protons, 6 neutrons, and 6 electrons, 2 in the first energy level (the sad ones...) and 4 in the second. ;)

I liked this T-shirt but as a graduate physical chemist I wouldn't dare wear this around the dept. without my fellow co-workers constantly telling me how this illustration fails miserably at representing the actual carbon atom (the one shown here is grossly outdated).

Remember electrons were once considered to "orbit" the nucleus (Rutherford's orbital model) but this was disproven by modern quantum mechanics back in the 30s and 40s. Rawfish is somewhat correct in stating that 2 electrons reside in the first energy level (s orbital) and 4 in the 2nd (p orbitals) but remember that the p orbitals consist of Px, Py, and Pz, all with a dumbbell shape which is most certainly not spherical. Also we can only view these orbitals as probability densities, not actual electron paths (like in the Tshirt).

TL;DR - The shirt is cute but a very wrong depiction of the carbon atom.

PS - I do like the shirt though.

maddhatterannaarrgghh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maddhatterannaarrgghh

how long does it take for this shirt to get to australia? I bought it two weeks ago and i still dont have it and when i try to use my tracking number it doesnt work. :S

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 503 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

maddhatterannaarrgghh wrote:how long does it take for this shirt to get to australia? I bought it two weeks ago and i still dont have it and when i try to use my tracking number it doesnt work. :S

Hello there. I think you'll find your answers in the FAQ. Start here and read the next question as well.

jwaal

quality posts: 25 Private Messages jwaal

6 protons, 6 electrons, 6 neutrons...666
Since we're carbon based organisms, I guess that means there's a little devil in all of us.
Hmmm.

bsmith1

quality posts: 93 Private Messages bsmith1

Saw someone wearing this shirt in line for the Harry Potter ride at Universal Studios.

carabb75

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carabb75

This has been sold-out for a while now. Anyone now if there are plans to get more inventory anytime soon?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 503 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

carabb75 wrote:This has been sold-out for a while now. Anyone now if there are plans to get more inventory anytime soon?

Once a shirt is goes off our Reckoning Page, it's sold out for good.

It's possible that it could return in a future Plus sale on shirt thought so keep checking those.

You might try WootSwap, TeeTrade, or The Random Shirt Trade Center.