bookworm656

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bookworm656
CapSea wrote:Without the text, I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

If the text was in a different FONT, I would have considered buying it. (The cat would also have needed to look a little more cat-like and be cuter.) Seki is absolutely horrible at choosing fonts, apparently. An awful choice of font killed the "Procrastinate" shirt too.

Woot: I'm in it for the monkeys.

bookworm656

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bookworm656
Miyari wrote:The kittens' first threat will be to replace the typefaces of everything in existence with ones that completely don't fit the style.

EXACTLY!

Woot: I'm in it for the monkeys.

staffell

quality posts: 4 Private Messages staffell

It's not that I don't like Cooper Black, it's that it's been skewed out of proportion. That alone is a crime...let alone the awfully unnecessary message on the shirt.

No advertising, pls.

lisaviolet

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lisaviolet
bookworm656 wrote:If the text was in a different FONT, I would have considered buying it. (The cat would also have needed to look a little more cat-like and be cuter.) Seki is absolutely horrible at choosing fonts, apparently. An awful choice of font killed the "Procrastinate" shirt too.

I have to laugh at this. When my husband (who has been installing all types of glass except auto glass for the past thirty some years) and I go out to places that have massive amounts of glass, like storefronts, disneyland, that type of place, he always checks out the installation of the glass or mirror walls and how it's set, proclaiming if it had been done properly or not and proceeds to tell me how it should have been done.

I guess it's just the nature of the beast.

scyth118

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scyth118

Too bad this is a stolen idea

That real nice, taking someone else's work and making money off of it...

http://keevs.deviantart.com/art/Cats-168478316?q=&qo=

Is it a direct copy? No. Is is stealing the idea? In every single way, yes.

idres

quality posts: 0 Private Messages idres

Wow. Way to take someone else's idea. What, because you bought the sticker you thought you bought the idea as well?

http://keevs.deviantart.com/#/d2sb2p8

(And yes, I know you did- I was at the table next to hers in Artist's Alley when you bought them.)

jakarta65

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jakarta65

They were on the list as attending:

http://www.animenext.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9919

Any response to this?

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
scyth118 wrote:Too bad this is a stolen idea

Please suggest your friend seek legal action. This is flat out plagiarism from someone who has made tens of thousands of dollars off this site.

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
Yourkiddingright wrote:Similarities?

scyth118 wrote:Too bad this is a stolen idea

idres wrote:Wow. Way to take someone else's idea. What, because you bought the sticker you thought you bought the idea as well?

http://keevs.deviantart.com/#/d2sb2p8

(And yes, I know you did- I was at the table next to hers in Artist's Alley when you bought them.)

jakarta65 wrote:They were on the list as attending:

http://www.animenext.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9919

Any response to this?

This is exactly why people don't have respect for this artist and rightly so. No one can argue that and if they do, there should be an automated response to their post with the above things I just quoted. Forever. It should be a like a filter. And crap like this is exactly why people are continually becoming disheartened about this site. Please don't turn away from this. Put a stop to it.

xazothia

quality posts: 54 Private Messages xazothia

well see usually seki adds stripes to her cats, this time she just took them off

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple

I'd really like to hear what the artist has to say for herself.

Paradox55

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Paradox55

This surely can't be printed now, can it? I would think there's more than enough ammo here for the original artist to sue the artist/woot. Woot should take a page out of Deviant's book- ban her. How much more evidence does it take?

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

I would like to say that this is a serious topic to me and I'm sure most artists who frequent this site that spend a great deal of effort trying to come up with original ideas and designs. I'm not in a position to say what is true or not true and I understand that these things can be delicate in terms of legal matters and what not so I won't demand a response or express outrage. But the idea that people might just be skimming the web, books, magazines, conventions, or whatever for designs from other artists to stick on a shirt with little to no creative input of their own is a scary one and I hope it doesn't have a place in the derbies. When you put up a design you are basically saying "this is my work". I understand similar ideas can be developed completely separate from one another, but sometimes it can be very clear that lines have been crossed. I would really like to think that that isn't the case here so my mind remains open.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
tgentry wrote:I would like to say that this is a serious topic to me and I'm sure most artists who frequent this site that spend a great deal of effort trying to come up with original ideas and designs. I'm not in a position to say what is true or not true and I understand that these things can be delicate in terms of legal matters and what not so I won't demand a response or express outrage. But the idea that people might just be skimming the web, books, magazines, conventions, or whatever for designs from other artists to stick on a shirt with little to no creative input of their own is a scary one and I hope it doesn't have a place in the derbies. When you put up a design you are basically saying "this is my work". I understand similar ideas can be developed completely separate from one another, but sometimes it can be very clear that lines have been crossed. I would really like to think that that isn't the case here so my mind remains open.

I agree with everything here. I think this coming to light is unfortunate in many ways.

To counter you, however, did you not just make a design based on Ramy and Seki's art for the kawaii derby that was 2 votes away from winning? I know another artist who expressed concerns to me privately about what a bad precedent that sets. All joking and ribbing aside, and regardless of Ramy's/Seki's past etc, copying another artist's distinct style or characters for personal gain is wrong. You almost won $1k with a design that was aimed directly at those artists. :\ I know it was a joking matter to a lot of people, but it sets a very bad path for all artists here.... It is one thing to use a coloring style or mimick a genre, but to effectively copy what has become known as someone's character or style is not a good thing, regardless of who they are (as we are all discussing). Again, this was something brought up to me off site by another artist, and I think bringing it up here is appropriate, given the topic at hand.

I will end in saying I'm disappointed, in a lot of things. I did cancel my order for the shirt, as I feel the issue is too up in the air. I don't want to own something that may or may not belong to another artist.

Kawaii Derby is now Sad Derby . Mope.

tgentry

Staff

bassanimation wrote:I agree with everything here. I think this coming to light is unfortunate in many ways.

To counter you, however, did you not just make a design based on Ramy and Seki's art for the kawaii derby that was 2 votes away from winning? I know another artist who expressed concerns to me privately about what a bad precedent that sets. All joking and ribbing aside, and regardless of Ramy's/Seki's past etc, copying another artist's distinct style or characters for personal gain is wrong. You almost won $1k with a design that was aimed directly at those artists. :\ I know it was a joking matter to a lot of people, but it sets a very bad path for all artists here.... It is one thing to use a coloring style or mimick a genre, but to effectively copy what has become known as someone's character or style is not a good thing, regardless of who they are (as we are all discussing). Again, this was something brought up to me off site by another artist, and I think bringing it up here is appropriate, given the topic at hand.

I will end in saying I'm disappointed, in a lot of things. I did cancel my order for the shirt, as I feel the issues is too up in the air. I don't want to own something that may or may not belong to another artist.

I get what you're saying Bass, but there were original ideas in my entry and to my knowledge they didn't invent that style. Fable has been using it for quite a while herself and it's all over Deviantart. Being that it was a Kawaii derby, parodying or aping a style while still adding original content seemed to be acceptable to me. No one complained to me at the time, and I even added that I hoped that I did the style justice, fully acknowledging who I was trying to reference. If it looks too much like a specific artists work, perhaps it's because I just don't know the intricacies of the different Kawaii styles. If that's the case then I apologize, because I was only after the style. If someone had a problem with it they should have said something and I would have dealt with it accordingly. At the very least I copied a style and put my own ideas into it, something that's been defended by many in the past, and didn't take a design almost element for element and put it up as my own.

EDIT: If Ramy, Seki, or Fable have any qualms about the turtle/rabbit entry I'll happily delete it from the running should it get an HM. As I said above and on the original entry I was directly looking at those three artists when doing that design. I was only after the general style of nubby animals with little black eyes and mouths, but if someone feels like I ripped off their specific characters that they originated I wouldn't hesitate to pull it.

bassanimation

tgentry wrote:I get what you're saying Bass, but there were original ideas in my entry and to my knowledge they didn't invent that style. Fable has been using it for quite a while herself and it's all over Deviantart. Being that it was a Kawaii derby, parodying or aping a style while still adding original content seemed to be acceptable to me. No one complained to me at the time, I and even added that I hoped that I did the style justice. If someone had a problem with it they should have said something.

Will continue this via PM, as Im not interested in riling people up on here.

tgentry

Staff

bassanimation wrote:Will continue this via PM, as Im not interested in riling people up on here.

Thanks, Bass.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
bassanimation wrote:I agree with everything here. I think this coming to light is unfortunate in many ways.

I will end in saying I'm disappointed, in a lot of things. I did cancel my order for the shirt, as I feel the issue is too up in the air. I don't want to own something that may or may not belong to another artist.

I counter that though. While Travis did make use of similar characters that both artists have frequently employed, the style of his are different if you put them side by side. For instance on the rabbit, facial structure and dimensions are different, ears taper differently, body anatomy doesn't seem as skewed as often is the case with Rami and Seki. Then we can move on to mister tortoise. Unlike the turtles in say School, the legs are not all equal size and thickness and look like they were glued on as an after thought. His look more like real tortoise legs tapering as they go up, also look at the basic structure of the heads, Travis' does not have the severe bubble head syndrome that Ramy's suffer from. Now is Travis' animals 100% anatomically correct, no, they're anthropomorphic with a sprinkling of kawaii and while they could be said to borrow some general style guidlines from Ramy and Seki I don't think anyone would have confused his art for theirs. Examples below

The real crux of the matter though is that Ramy and Seki have not made art depecting a tortoise and a hare playing chess with the hare being impaitent over the tortoises slow moves. HOWEVER someone has made a picture of a giant cat eating a globe with almost the SAME exact text as used by Seki in this piece. You can like Seki's work and I don't personnaly hate her and I've enjoyed some of her pieces, but you can't defend this piece. Taking off the wings and stripes does not new art make, even if drawn in a slightly different style. I wouldn't have even minded if Seki's cat was playing with the globe like a ball of yarn on it's back and taking a bite into it but this is just too close in composition and thought.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
bassanimation wrote:I think this coming to light is unfortunate in many ways.

It's great that it came to light, it's terrible that it happened in the first place. (I suspect that's what you meant, just wanted to make it crystal clear)

Stealing ideas is a big deal. While I fully acknowledge that there are times when artists unintentionally borrow from others, this is even more disturbing because it seems premeditated and because it might not be the first time (I remember questions raised about Grim Optimism as well, though that was less convincing). This is a highly specific idea, the DA version is dated clearly, eyewitnesses have stepped forward (though I do take that with a grain of salt) and the similarities are uncanny- I'm pretty convinced this time.

I hope Woot will do the right thing and work with the original artist to settle the matter. It would be nice to see a public statement on Woot's policy in issues like these going forward, even if the specifics stay behind closed doors.

bassanimation

tjost wrote:
The real crux of the matter though is that Ramy and Seki have not made art depecting a tortoise and a hare playing chess with the hare being impaitent over the tortoises slow moves. HOWEVER someone has made a picture of a giant cat eating a globe with almost the SAME exact text as used by Seki in this piece. You can like Seki's work and I don't personnaly hate her and I've enjoyed some of her pieces, but you can't defend this piece. Taking off the wings and stripes does not new art make, even if drawn in a slightly different style. I wouldn't have even minded if Seki's cat was playing with the globe like a ball of yarn on it's back and taking a bite into it but this is just too close in composition and thought.

Exactly, which is why I took my conversation with TG to PM so as not to derail the thread too much from the real issue.

I agree fully that the Nomination shirt is too close for comfort, and I have no defense of the image at all. It is definitely something the staff needs to look into. From what I am reading on the original artist's DA journal, she is most unhappy. As someone who's had my own art actually taken and printed sold, I can attest it is a truly funk-tastic feeling. (not the good funk, the bad funk)

bassanimation

geekfactor12 wrote:It's great that it came to light, it's terrible that it happened in the first place. (I suspect that's what you meant, just wanted to make it crystal clear)

Stealing ideas is a big deal. While I fully acknowledge that there are times when artists unintentionally borrow from others, this is even more disturbing because it seems premeditated and because it might not be the first time (I remember questions raised about Grim Optimism as well, though that was less convincing). This is a highly specific idea, the DA version is dated clearly, eyewitnesses have stepped forward (though I do take that with a grain of salt) and the similarities are uncanny- I'm pretty convinced this time.

I hope Woot will do the right thing and work with the original artist to settle the matter. It would be nice to see a public statement on Woot's policy in issues like these going forward, even if the specifics stay behind closed doors.

+1 all the way.

AdderXYU

geekfactor12 wrote:It's great that it came to light, it's terrible that it happened in the first place. (I suspect that's what you meant, just wanted to make it crystal clear)

I would like to highlight this comment, specifically the fact that these allegations have been coming hard and fast SINCE THESE TWO STARTED COMING HERE. And been denied over and over again, no matter how many people say it, or how many times it's shown. This is all the worse because it is finally provable, but it is something that has been part of the complaints about these two from the beginning. With proof now, how likely is it that it's NEVER been true before? How many designers got screwed over because of these two? How many thousands of dollars were lost due to another cheat or swindle?

The ONLY recompense for this, for the artists and the people who have had to tolerate this for years now, is to ban both parties, since there is NO way to prove the one is not supporting the other or submitting their work. To make this a one-design issue is to potentially have this come up again. To not refuse to pay these two another cent is to tell the artists here that plagiarism is not taken seriously, and that their art is worthless to them, even if it's more creative and not illegal. Remember your history. This is nothing new for these two.

snarkygal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
AdderXYU wrote:I would like to highlight this comment, specifically the fact that these allegations have been coming hard and fast SINCE THESE TWO STARTED COMING HERE. And been denied over and over again, no matter how many people say it, or how many times it's shown. This is all the worse because it is finally provable, but it is something that has been part of the complaints about these two from the beginning. With proof now, how likely is it that it's NEVER been true before? How many designers got screwed over because of these two? How many thousands of dollars were lost due to another cheat or swindle?

The ONLY recompense for this, for the artists and the people who have had to tolerate this for years now, is to ban both parties, since there is NO way to prove the one is not supporting the other or submitting their work. To make this a one-design issue is to potentially have this come up again. To not refuse to pay these two another cent is to tell the artists here that plagiarism is not taken seriously, and that their art is worthless to them, even if it's more creative and not illegal. Remember your history. This is nothing new for these two.

I read the original artist's (keevs) post that "A fairly notorious artist (with an ED page) brought some of the cat items at animenext. Since this person was notorious, I uploaded the cat images onto DA the first second I got. Well my paranoia was not unfounded. The certain person clearly copy one of the designs and won a contest with it. According to ED this isn't the first time they did that."

I finally have to agree with Adder. The proof is finally out in the open. It isn't just suspicions, it is proven. Even without the last sentence, in keevs' post.

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

In agreement with this as well. Many of us artists struggle enough as it is, and seeing someone make money by borrowing your ideas and concepts is quite painful.

kwilder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwilder

Looking at the original artist's description of events and her subsequent comments, woot will need to legally address this somehow.

csnhsyearbook

quality posts: 0 Private Messages csnhsyearbook

So, we're just not going to address this issue, Woot? You're just going to hide in Texas during this whole debaucle? (This sounds familiar. August 2005, anyone?)

The more you wait, the more money Seki makes off of a design she stole. I've lost a lot of respect for you, Woot, since this scandal came out. Please fix it. It would mean a lot to the artists who contribute here and the people who support them.

Thank you.

AdderXYU

csnhsyearbook wrote:So, we're just not going to address this issue, Woot? You're just going to hide in Texas during this whole debaucle? (This sounds familiar. August 2005, anyone?)

The more you wait, the more money Seki makes off of a design she stole. I've lost a lot of respect for you, Woot, since this scandal came out. Please fix it. It would mean a lot to the artists who contribute here and the people who support them.

Thank you.

Never forget December 2008, either, when they literally bought out someone's photographic rights instead of chastising a "designer" for flat-out theft. They consider reference to that theft "harassment". They don't care about artist rights. They don't care about artistic integrity. They're going to beg and plead we forget about this and simply say nothing. Don't do it. Don't forget. Don't let them forget.

joelterrific

quality posts: 21 Private Messages joelterrific

Staff

Thanks to the community, we've determined there are issues with this design and we've decided to take it down while we get things sorted out.

AdderXYU

joelterrific wrote:Thanks to the community, we've determined there are issues with this design and we've decided to take it down while we get things sorted out.

I can only hope that by "sorted out" you mean "finding a way to permanently ban two people that everyone has tried to warn you about for years and finally proved everything we've known already, because flat out theft should be punished definitively"

Lynchzor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lynchzor

Is there any other way to resolve the issue then to purge it in flames? Royalties, artists consent, something... I just like the shirt and want one >.< , but I do agree that plagiarism is bad and needs repercussions =/

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Lynchzor wrote:Is there any other way to resolve the issue then to purge it in flames? Royalties, artists consent, something... I just like the shirt and want one >.< , but I do agree that plagiarism is bad and needs repercussions =/

Still selling the tee would only serve to allow the creator of this shirt to do something like this again. If the original artist refuses to give up the rights, because this person stole the design, that's her prerogative. And woot should respect that. The creator of the t-shirt would only see the 'slap on the wrist' and figure out a more creative way to do this again in the future. The best punishment is to not sell it at all... and I would say go further to not let her compete in further derbies, since there have been other pieces that have won where this issue has been brought up, but other ripped artists failed to contest the situation.*

And before someone says "well, she could just change her moniker," remember, winning requires proof of who you are for payments. So she couldn't come back as one of her old, more obscure DA names.

I'd go further to say block the BF/fiance (whatever Ramy is) because she could easily just submit under his name, but that's not for me to decide. HOWEVER, I believe it is something for the staff to consider.

*Those who have the specific piece(s) where there has been proof posted (I believe one was 'wireless mice') I'd appreciate a link. I couldn't find it for the purpose of quoting. That and it was too early in the morning for me to recall that info.

kwilder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwilder
Lynchzor wrote:Is there any other way to resolve the issue then to purge it in flames? Royalties, artists consent, something... I just like the shirt and want one >.< , but I do agree that plagiarism is bad and needs repercussions =/

If you like the design, contact the original artist, keevs, and see if you can purchase something with her/his artwork on it. That way you can have your shirt and the person who thought of the idea can benefit without the person who stole the idea getting money from the theft.

staffell

quality posts: 4 Private Messages staffell

Woah

No advertising, pls.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
JadenKale wrote:*Those who have the specific piece(s) where there has been proof posted (I believe one was 'wireless mice') I'd appreciate a link. I couldn't find it for the purpose of quoting. That and it was too early in the morning for me to recall that info.

That was the first piece that I thought of. I remember people in the derby thread going all ape-stuff on the person who posted the original link. Like everything else up till now it was "just a coincidence" that something looked foul.

From the Derby Thread:

mrwednesday wrote:So February 2008 we have this on Deviant Art drawn by JohnSu (not seki):

Then about a year later seki submits this:

And now we have this:

Now this wouldn't be the first time they've stolen ideas from DA *cough*grimoptimism*cough* but this is really getting sad.......

misrymonky

quality posts: 2 Private Messages misrymonky
odysseyroc wrote:

and it keeps getting worse

Obviously she/they have a history here.

wow...just wow!

thurdl01

quality posts: 11 Private Messages thurdl01

I've gone through both the submission thread and sale thread for Grim Optimism and can't remember what the issue was at the time.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
thurdl01 wrote:I've gone through both the submission thread and sale thread for Grim Optimism and can't remember what the issue was at the time.

Right Click --> View Image to see bigger

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
joelterrific wrote:Thanks to the community, we've determined there are issues with this design and we've decided to take it down while we get things sorted out.

Thank you.

I'm glad to hear there is sorting out going on. But when doing it, I ask that you take into account all of these past occurrences. I have to say I'm sick that this stuff has carried on so long. There have been more than enough red flags. And all the times people have tried to warn everyone and expressed their concerns? At risk of being blatantly honest, the ability to say "I told you so" is not enough for me to feel better about it. I'm saying all this because I hope these feelings, which I'm pretty sure are felt by other artists/voters, can be considered when making your decision. I'm just hoping this kind of lack-of-ethics by derby entrants will not have a chance to be fostered anymore.

I've felt this way for a long time, but as an artist, sometimes it's hard to feel comfortable about publicly complaining. Things have crossed the line though, and I think communication about it is beyond necessary.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
theinfinityloop wrote:Thank you.

I'm glad to hear there is sorting out going on. But when doing it, I ask that you take into account all of these past occurrences. I have to say I'm sick that this stuff has carried on so long. There have been more than enough red flags. And all the times people have tried to warn everyone and expressed their concerns? At risk of being blatantly honest, the ability to say "I told you so" is not enough for me to feel better about it. I'm saying all this because I hope these feelings, which I'm pretty sure are felt by other artists/voters, can be considered when making your decision. I'm just hoping this kind of lack-of-ethics by derby entrants will not have a chance to be fostered anymore.

I've felt this way for a long time, but as an artist, sometimes it's hard to feel comfortable about publicly complaining. Things have crossed the line though, and I think communication about it is beyond necessary.

^ x 1,000,000,000

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
bassanimation wrote:snip

Bass, I know you have to sycophantically defend ramy and seki because you feel they are unfairly hated because of their "style" but this is the exact reason you talked yourself into pariah status as soon as you got here.

To attempt to sidetrack the issue by baselessly accusing the veritable posterchild of integrity and artistry at this site is beyond classless especially when you know full well that ramyoku's work is as generic and unoriginal as it gets.

Further to do it in this manner, after the fact, and to in the same breadth attempt to minimize the fact that an artist you like stole, I repeat stole in its entirety, a design from another artist is unconscionable.

I'll leave you with this. Beady eyes. Geometric mouth. mongoose fat cuteness (look at that adorable skeleton). Ramyoku clearly stole their "style" from Travis......

This makes at least 4 questionable or clearly stolen designs by the two of them. Grim optimism, the "mice", the "Bears" design ramy stole lock stock and barrel including text from the Colbert Report and now this. And I know I'm forgetting a few.

At first I was disappointed that this printed but now I'm quite glad because if it had been rejected during the derby woot could pretend no harm no foul. But the fact that it was printed and money was paid and that now lawyers are involved might mean that something positive will actually come from this and we might not have to deal with ramy and seki's constant theft in the future.