endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
Re: Honey Is Sweeter Than Blood

This gets a vote. I'd buy one for my boyfriend who 1) loves honey, and 2) hates that I get to tease him mercilessly for actually reading all four of those damnable sparkly vampire books.

skenneldogs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skenneldogs
Re: The Umbrellas

This shirt is beautiful. I love the little dog- is he yellow, turning white by the rain? Or is he white, but got splashed by the yellow puddle he walked through?

I like the color choice. I second whoever said white would be nice, but then the umbrellas and rain wouldn't stand out. I'm also loving the blue, yellow, orange combo for the umbrellas. I really like those three together.

I hope the results of this derby don't disappoint, like others.

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan

HAHHAHA! I love it!

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
AdderXYU wrote:Does anyone understand the whole "TITLE REINTERPRETED" theme as opposed to "parody the piece of art itself"? This, like tens of others, is not on topic.

Dear AdderXYU-

I just wanted to express my unbridled gratitude for helping to get my submission rejected. Although the title "The Discus Thrower" and artwork/sculpture are one in the same and I can't fathom how anyone couldn't see that the word "Discus" is REINTERPRETED as a donut and that the words "Discus Thrower", usually associated with a person of muscular and athletic build not a lumpy, lazy oaf, I forgot for a moment that the "Lord of Artistic Merit and Engagement" (L.A.M.E. for short) had bestowed his almighty decree upon my humble creation. My sincerest apologies and I bow before thy magnificent greatness?

lucky1988

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: The Persistence of Memory

Lovely and peaceful. I am usually a fan of monochromatic shirts.

Vote!

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
lucky1988 wrote:Dear AdderXYU-

I just wanted to express my unbridled gratitude for helping to get my submission rejected. Although the title "The Discus Thrower" and artwork/sculpture are one in the same and I can't fathom how anyone couldn't see that the word "Discuss" is REINTERPRETED as a donut and that the words "Discuss Thrower", usually associated with a person of muscular and athletic build not a lumpy, lazy oaf, I forgot for a moment that the "Lord of Artistic Merit and Engagement" (L.A.M.E. for short) had bestowed his almighty decree upon my humble creation. My sincerest apologies and I bow before thy magnificent greatness?

lucky1988

Adder isn't the person who rejected your shirt, so blaming him as if he was the judge is kind of misplacing the blame. Also, I'm curious as to how Discuss could be reinterpreted as any foodstuff, let alone a donut. Or how one throws a Discuss (or perhaps a Discussion)

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
lucky1988 wrote:Dear AdderXYU-

I just wanted to express my unbridled gratitude for helping to get my submission rejected. Although the title "The Discus Thrower" and artwork/sculpture are one in the same and I can't fathom how anyone couldn't see that the word "Discuss" is REINTERPRETED as a donut and that the words "Discuss Thrower", usually associated with a person of muscular and athletic build not a lumpy, lazy oaf, I forgot for a moment that the "Lord of Artistic Merit and Engagement" (L.A.M.E. for short) had bestowed his almighty decree upon my humble creation. My sincerest apologies and I bow before thy magnificent greatness?

lucky1988

haha +1, i agree, i think some of the ones they rejected were changed enough, some of them were not changed enough, and some of those that were not rejected at all. there seems to be no rhyme or reason to their choices. sorry to see this one rejected but i look forward to the next entry you submit! ^_^

girtonman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages girtonman
VIIIofXIII wrote:You turned an awful work of art into a pretty rad t-shirt. I own too many shirts in this color but I'd buy it anyway.

SpazX wrote:Infinitely better than the piece it's based on, imo. Will buy if it prints.

Two people that beat me to the punch. Its sad when something that sold for almost 10 million british pounds has less artistic value than a shirt that will sell for 10 dollars.

YinofYang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages YinofYang
Re: Woman with Yellow Hair - Pablo Picasso.

This is a lovely design. She seems so peaceful, even a little detached. Excellent job!

YinofYang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages YinofYang
Re: The Phantom Landscape by Magritte

I love what you've done here and I must say, it's very creative. I'm hoping this one prints, will keep fingers crossed.

parrotworks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks

jtbradford

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtbradford
Re: The Physical Impossibility of Death...

I really hope this prints, because it's simply amazing.

whorlwind

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whorlwind
Re: The Treachery of Images

Excellent job, I'd buy one.

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 11 Private Messages SeedUvPain
endangeredomega wrote:This gets a vote. I'd buy one for my boyfriend who 1) loves honey, and 2) hates that I get to tease him mercilessly for actually reading all four of those damnable sparkly vampire books.

This shirt is definitely for anyone who's secretly into True Blood, Twilight, Theodore Roosevelt, Bee-Flower relations, or capes. Thanks for the vote!

lucky1988

Darquis wrote:Adder isn't the person who rejected your shirt, so blaming him as if he was the judge is kind of misplacing the blame. Also, I'm curious as to how Discuss could be reinterpreted as any foodstuff, let alone a donut. Or how one throws a Discuss (or perhaps a Discussion)

@darquis- the only reason I got "haterade" from AXYU is because there is "pop culture" integrated into the piece. Like I've said before, I'll continue to design what I want and not be influenced by anyone otherwise.

In addition if he's attacking my work as REINTERPRETING the actual artwork and not the title, I still see a lot of entries, even some in the fog that are in violation of "his" views. By his definition all of the entries should have no traces or similarities whatsoever to the actual artwork/painting/sculpture and be completely different and original works of art. Distribute the fertilizer evenly and fairly. Is that too much to ask for? BTW I was thanking not blaming.

pi3832

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pi3832
specsmachine wrote:I wasn't sure about the placement either. This is my third derby so I'm still trying to find my flow when it comes to shirt design and layout.

I'm of the opinion that "high and centered" is kind of boring. Symmetry is so easy.

Though, is it just me, or does there seem to be a strange bias toward off-centering down and to the left (as viewed)?

repoman86

quality posts: 3 Private Messages repoman86

I think we need more giant trees holding one of these:

jasonneumann25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasonneumann25

Thanks for the good words peoples!

Re: This is not a pipe_Ceci n'est pas une pipe

loaba

quality posts: 31 Private Messages loaba
repoman86 wrote:I think we need more giant trees holding one of these:

I like it, but why are all the good shirts asphalt grey?

jasneko

Re: Bird in Space.

I said something in the pre-derby thread, but just in case... this is really well done. Very striking, nice work capedcrusader.

Vote!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 223 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Such a fun concept! Another great design this week, SeedUvPain! ^_^

adavis23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adavis23
Re: We Can Do It!

We can do it!*

*Not just for winning World War II anymore.

lucky1988

Re: Sailing the Catboat by Winslow Homer

Thanks megsck, Bass, lonelypond and studio1172!

briansantamaria

quality posts: 0 Private Messages briansantamaria
Re: Duchamp's Fountain

Why 'not with the signature?' it's not a real signature. it's actually a piece of the work itself. DuChamp 'signed' the original fountain in a made up name "R. Mutt" as part of the work itself. It's no more a plagarization than is any of these shirts using the title of other works, or images of the screamer from 'The Scream', or melting clocks, or anything. I don't understand this.

CapSea

quality posts: 54 Private Messages CapSea
Re: The Umbrellas

As a non-artist, I'm curious to hear how you design your shirts. They are always so clean. Start on a pad of paper and then work your way up?

jasneko

Re: Sailing the Catboat by Winslow Homer

Adorable! The little catbeard! The cat masthead!(is that the right word?) I like the way you did the waves too.

Vote!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Spiritgreen wrote:Exactly, marzipan'. I really hate to say anything negative about other artists' work so I overlayed the images to make sure before I even posted about the issue.

Just so everyone understands : the problem is that you -legally- can't reproduce the work of someone like Pablo Picasso. His heirs own the rights to his work and they can and do sue people for improper use of it. Woot simply wouldn't be able to print this in its current form.

As they should. I don't understand how copyright can expire. It's like saying that a store can be robbed from now and then so long as it's been open over a century, and you tell everyone where you got your goods.

AdderXYU

albinoapple wrote:Your logic fails when you look at the fact that the last phoenix shirt to print was almost exactly a year ago. ;P

Regardless of the right or wrong of printing another boring phoenix tee, "the last one printed a year ago" is no argument. The last shirt about a neon pink monster on a scooter was printed almost three years ago. Similar shirts should be rejected.

MasterYodisha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MasterYodisha

It's a good thing that turtles live like 100 years. Maybe he'll see the ocean someday.

albinoapple

quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
AdderXYU wrote:Regardless of the right or wrong of printing another boring phoenix tee, "the last one printed a year ago" is no argument. The last shirt about a neon pink monster on a scooter was printed almost three years ago. Similar shirts should be rejected.

Wuuh, it's a mythological creature, yeah a similar shirt's gonna exist. A smilar shirt will always exist no matter WHAT creature is on it. The idea and concept is so basic you can't police it.

My point was, how can you argue that the market on woot is saturated with pheonix tees when the last (and only one I think?) was printed a year ago.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 223 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: The Discus Thrower

Well this is a little messed up. Not just because I love the design, and lucky's work is so rightly respected here that he deserves a sensible answer - but because the application of the rejection stick seems so random this week.

I can only offer my own opinion, but to me this design reinterprets the title -and- the original form of the artwork. What is a discus thrower? Someone about to throw a disc shaped object. This is a reinterpretation of the typical idea into something funny. It's not just a parody of the statue, although it is -also- a parody of it.

I hope that Woot understands how unfair it can feel when a rule is enforced that wasn't very clearly expressed (that secret rule was: don't resemble the original artwork in any way, I guess?) and especially when that gets applied to a random assortment of entries. There would be a lot more casualties if the same standard was applied across the board this week. Not that I'm suggesting that would be a good thing.

Oh well, keep your spirits up Lucky. These things happen.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
Darquis wrote:I don't think that reinterpretation and recreation (but with twists, as you put it) are mutually exclusive.

You're missing Bella's point and the reason for the rejection.

It's the title of the work that is supposed to be reinterpreted, not the piece itself. In this case, the designer was supposed to present his/her reinterpretation of "starry night," not of the original piece of art, "Starry Night."

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

AdderXYU

lucky1988 wrote:@darquis- the only reason I got "haterade" from AXYU is because there is "pop culture" integrated into the piece. Like I've said before, I'll continue to design what I want and not be influenced by anyone otherwise.

In addition if he's attacking my work as REINTERPRETING the actual artwork and not the title, I still see a lot of entries, even some in the fog that are in violation of "his" views. By his definition all of the entries should have no traces or similarities whatsoever to the actual artwork/painting/sculpture and be completely different and original works of art. Distribute the fertilizer evenly and fairly. Is that too much to ask for? BTW I was thanking not blaming.

By my definition, the title itself should be reinterpreted.

Taking your piece: you clearly parodied the piece of artwork as opposed to reinterpreting the title. Let's put it this way: if you drew Homer with a Donut in the same position but in a different style, it would have little to do with discus or throwing. He would be in a similar pose, but arguably the concept would be homer throwing a donut like a discus, not discus throwing in general. Is it a lazy pander of a concept anyway? I'd argue yes. But that's quite beside the point in terms of this design.

To take one of the most obvious pieces in the fog, however, if Robbie's "great wave" was drawn in any other style, the whole of the concept would still be there, and the whole of the title would still be represented. He -also- parodies the work itself, as opposed to -just- doing so. It fits the theme because the title is being illustrated. Instead of a sea wave, there's a hand wave. Made of the sea? Sure is. But it's not the same.

More arguably, the shark in the tank. Honestly, I tattled on that one too, but I haven't seen any reason to make a big deal over it because the title is so ambiguous. It's literally just a shark in a tank, just as the other piece is just a shark in a tank. The title doesn't have anything to do with the image in either case. But in the same ways one can explain away what Hirst likely meant, it's a whole lot harder to conclusively say that's off topic.

But again, your piece is indeed different in that its entire crux is the pop reference. It would work as a concept if there was a reason for homer simpson to be using a donut as a discus... maybe if he was at the olympics, and a bunch of discus guys were hanging around and he had his donut... but as presented here, it's obviously more of a reinterpretation of the art itself than any sort of attempt to re-imagine the title. The theme asks us to ask ourselves "what could this title look like in another context". It should be more of an association exercise.

If you are so convinced of a personal vendetta against you due to your use of pop culture, however, you should perhaps consider: how often do you sandwich pop culture into a design? I wager there is more guilty conscience behind such a belief than truth. Though I do thank you for believing I have any real clout with the woot powers that be. Believe me, we'd have far different reckoning results every week if things I tattled on were rightfully rejected.

Jaiyla

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Jaiyla
Re: Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose

I would love to see this one win. gmv :]

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

albinoapple wrote:Wuuh, it's a mythological creature, yeah a similar shirt's gonna exist. A smilar shirt will always exist no matter WHAT creature is on it. The idea and concept is so basic you can't police it.

I've thought a lot about "similar shirts exist" and how the lines are drawn on that. I've come to this conclusion based off my own opinion (not necessarily how woot calls them or doesn't):

To me there are (very broadly) two types of designs. The first type is a design that incorporates a single element or idea. For instance Dragon, Phoenix, Skull, Argyle, or Bird. To me this is a "style" shirt. Yes, there are a million shirts with dragons on them, but this is this artist's take on it. In the case of the single element shirt it's not the concept that needs to be judged, but the style and appearance. Does it look too much like another shirt? If so then it should probably be rejected. Otherwise it's simply the artist's take on that single topic.

The second type of shirt is the concept shirt. This is when you start juxtaposing elements together. A phoenix riding a dragon. A penguin playing with a Yo-Yo. Suddenly you're into the realm of concepts and "similar shirts exist" gets much dicier. To me that's when concept should be the main focus point in considering rejections, not style.

As far as this shirt's concerned, I think it falls in the first category and has to be judged on whether or not it looks too much like another shirt. It may or may not, I don't really know, but if I were making the judgment call that's what I'd base it off of rather than subject matter.

AdderXYU

albinoapple wrote:Wuuh, it's a mythological creature, yeah a similar shirt's gonna exist. A smilar shirt will always exist no matter WHAT creature is on it. The idea and concept is so basic you can't police it.

My point was, how can you argue that the market on woot is saturated with pheonix tees when the last (and only one I think?) was printed a year ago.

And my point simply was that when a shirt printed is totally meaningless in determining whether another tee is frivolous. Whether this phoenix shirt is worthy of printing or not is 100% independent of how long ago the last one printed, and 100% dependent on whether this is at all an original, attractive design worth printing.

As derbies go, always remember that entry saturation means a lot, even if wins seem slimmer. If we get a Valkyrie in the top 5 every week, people are going to get sick of seeing them, even if they never print.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
tgentry wrote: snip

I think that this is very well reasoned. I think I agree, although even if I ultimately don't after mulling it over, I think that you presented it well and logically.

The problem with a style shirt -- which I agree this fits into -- is that it becomes increasingly difficult to create a new take on such a used and over-used image like the phoenix. (This is anent the over-all discussion, not your post.)

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

AdderXYU

to it's credit, at least this lumpy, pointlessly shiny, beady eyed turtle has a reason to be standing motionless instead of looking like it's moving. Unlike the last one.

carin01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carin01
Re: The Last supper

cool design! I love it!

AdderXYU

kylemittskus wrote:You're missing Bella's point and the reason for the rejection.

It's the title of the work that is supposed to be reinterpreted, not the piece itself. In this case, the designer was supposed to present his/her reinterpretation of "starry night," not of the original piece of art, "Starry Night."

This.

In this case, we have the image, starry night, reinterpreted with a robot and some satellites. there is no starry night involved. It's Night With Glowing Satellites.

Ergo, the title is only reinterpreted insofar as the title is the title of the reinterpreted art.