Nekkochan


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
Re: Van Gogh Sunflowers



This gets my vote just because the art itself really appeals to me. I like the shapes, the scribbly-but-clean feel, and the colors. Not 100% sure about the road, but the flow is nice.

briansantamaria


quality posts: 0 Private Messages briansantamaria
mjc613 wrote:photo, not original artwork, not woot shirt color, not what woot is looking for



If you don't like it, that's fine, but there is plenty of original artwork that is created without a pen. And it is a play on the name of the work AS WELL AS the work itself. The irony and picture referencing the pun in the name and the works historical context in the modern age... the man who attacked the work with a hammer.

Do I doubt that Woot will reject it? No. But, that's because everyone seems to be stuck on cute pen and ink illustrations. Which is fine. It's just not what this is. Doesn't mean its not an original work. Doesn't mean it doesn't follow the rules.

Nekkochan


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
mjc613 wrote:The scrabble part of my brain has 2 questions:
1-Which word is 78 points?
2-How was the word Composition done? It would have had to be more than one turn, but I can't figure out what the first word would have been?



Quite apart from the fact that proper names aren't allowed. Gets a vote from me anyway - I may never look at Mondrian the same way again.

Twistedmonkey22


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Twistedmonkey22
Re: Man Holding Up a Baby as Though He Were...



Bootsboots, i gotta say you are my favorite artist on this site. your stuff always makes me laugh. =)
shame more it hasn't printed.

briansantamaria


quality posts: 0 Private Messages briansantamaria
sasham62 wrote:Also not the Woot Template, and the submitter reworked the original artwork (see here) rather than reinterpreting the title.



Did you include a link because you thought I was unaware of the original? its not just a photograph of the original, it is a photograph of Lazlo Toth attacking it. And it is clearly a reinterpretation of the title as the reinterpretation of the title is printed right on the design... 'la pinata' as opposed to 'la pieta'.

I understand it doesn't follow the normal, successful woot shirt model, but why does that make it less valid as a design? I thought the simple pun on the name of the work, when including the context of its own destruction with a man swinging a blunt object was an interesting, simple, and fun comment on the destruction of classic art in a modern digital age. It requires an informed audience... not to sound pretentious, but one who understands the name of the work by looking at it, and also knows it's history with relation to lazlo toth, and its significance to the art world and the catholic church.

And finally, I did NOT reinterpret the original work. I intentionally left it alone. I did not color it, disfigure it, or misrepresent the image of the original in any way, except to rebalance the newspaper clipping that depicts it. It is about reimagining the work inside of a reworking of its own name.

You don't like it. that's fine. it's not the best thing I've ever seen either. But that doesn't make it illegitimate.

rws402


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rws402
Re: Pink Angels



if this shirt won, it wouldn't be good

examae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages examae
Re: This is not a pipe_Ceci n'est pas une pipe




This needs more comments :^)
+1, love the bubbles paired with a classically macho man

examae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages examae
Re: Honey Is Sweeter Than Blood



so violent, lol. but cute violent? I'm curious to see how far this makes it, you've done great so far and you only submitted a few hours ago, gj ^^

examae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages examae
Re: The Last supper



I was one of your first votes but I didn't comment yet; I just want to say that I like this a lot. It's a unique style and it works, and I love your take on this, good job ^^

examae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages examae
Re: The Umbrellas




Amazeringzzz. I like that it covers the whole shirt, +1 :^) You fogged super fastly, I guess I gotta work on my coloring skills haha. Your halftones are subtle and amazering too ^^ (I think I made up that word just for this design..)

examae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages examae
capedcrusader514 wrote:Yeah, I didn't really know what to use as almost any close up wouldn't look like anything so I chose this. I hope people still look.



Yeah I think thumbnails are really important in derbies.. which I learned too late to resub for my own design, too, haha. Well, I watched you in the prederby thread and liked what I saw :^) plus your doing well despite the thumbnail comments so good job ^^

Duddles86


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Duddles86
amoliski wrote:Titles of artwork really don't mean much, would a proper entry dealing with starry night be... a knight with a shield with stars on it or something?



Yes. That is exactly the point of the derby... The title of many famous art titles could actually be used on other pictures that use the title in a literal or word play use that isn't the way it was used on the original.

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
briansantamaria wrote:If you don't like it, that's fine, but there is plenty of original artwork that is created without a pen. And it is a play on the name of the work AS WELL AS the work itself. The irony and picture referencing the pun in the name and the works historical context in the modern age... the man who attacked the work with a hammer.

Do I doubt that Woot will reject it? No. But, that's because everyone seems to be stuck on cute pen and ink illustrations. Which is fine. It's just not what this is. Doesn't mean its not an original work. Doesn't mean it doesn't follow the rules.


That's exactly what folks are trying to tell you - turn it down a notch and listen. Woot doesn't have this color, this is not on Woot's template, and in general, photos are rejectionable. Woot is for illustrations - hand-drawn stuff. Can't say I've never seen a photo get by, but...
So, basically - this sub doesn't follow the rules. At all. It is what it is.

nepbug


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nepbug
Re: Starry Night



Boo on the rejection. If you wanted re-interpretations of the Artwork Titles that should've been more clear. This is an actual re-interpretation of the theme of painting itself. I prefer this much more than a clever pun based off the name of a famous title.

Back in Van Gogh's days all the twinkling lights were stars, in this robot's day, the twinkles are satellites, it's definitely a more modern interpretation of the theme.

RagnarokAngel


quality posts: 2 Private Messages RagnarokAngel
kylemittskus wrote:You're basing a logical argument on an unprovable assumption with no logical reason for making said assumption?



The logical argument is that it's a futuristic, or even post-human, "starry" night — with something that aren't really stars acting as stars. I'm pretty sure that falls within the limits of "reinterpretation" of the title. This really feels like a woot staffer got slaphappy with the rejection hammer.


EDIT:

I thought I'd just point out the relevant sentences so you can see where the rest of us are coming from
"This week we're asking you to create a design reinterpreting the title of a famous work of art. Don't worry about recreating van Gogh's The Starry Night; just riff on the idea of a starry night."
It's says Don't worry about, not that it isn't acceptable to do so, and that it should riff on a starry night, which satellites as stars does well imho.

EDIT 2:

And a second thought that drives this ideology home is that The Great Wave doesn't get rejected, yet is in the same style as the original painting? C'mon woot.

dragonvt


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dragonvt

This rejection is a total load! This shirt absolutely fits the theme, and is beautifully done. Since it was in the fog, clearly more people agree with me than with you. I have never disagreed with a rejection before, but you guys were smoking something on this one. Put it back up!

nevetnod


quality posts: 2 Private Messages nevetnod
Re: [Modern] Self Portrait with Monkey



This is my favorite in the whole derby!

I like celery.

cmdixon2


quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
CapSea wrote:As a non-artist, I'm curious to hear how you design your shirts. They are always so clean. Start on a pad of paper and then work your way up?



Questions like this sort of throw me because I never really know how to answer them. I never seem to approach a design the same way, so I don't have a real pattern for how I work. I'll give it a shot.

Sometimes I do sketch on paper. Sometimes I just wing it in Photoshop. It just depends on the concept and what I have in my head. This design started off with a slightly different concept than what I ended up with. I decided to work straight in Photoshop without using a sketch and just see what happened. This design evolved on it's own as I worked on it. That happens to me a lot.

Basically I treat every design differently and they all come about in different ways so I can't really describe a process I use because it's always changing. Some weeks the designs come about easily and some weeks I struggle to get it right. I imagine it's that way with a lot of designers.

Sorry if that's not very clear. Glad you enjoy my work though!

And thanks again everyone for all the comments!


tico0001


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tico0001
spookynutz wrote:Agreed. The masked Scream guy is too cheesy.



I concur... I would have immediately voted for it if it didn't have the Scream character.

~Tico

sogj


quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj
Re: Starry Night



Thanks everybody.

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

Ryuzaki


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ryuzaki
Re: The Persistence of Memory



I love everything about this design. Something about the image of the seahorse sleeping, to me, displays a great illustration of someone being at peace with their memories. It is a beautiful idea and the artwork is amazing. I want this shirt so badly. Just a few more votes...

YinofYang


quality posts: 0 Private Messages YinofYang
Re: Night Watch



I really dig your...owl creature. I love the wings and the presence it exudes. I, for one, don't mind the placement, although it might be even lower. Centered is nice for some things, but it seems boring a lot of the time.

albinoapple


quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
AdderXYU wrote:And my point simply was that when a shirt printed is totally meaningless in determining whether another tee is frivolous. Whether this phoenix shirt is worthy of printing or not is 100% independent of how long ago the last one printed, and 100% dependent on whether this is at all an original, attractive design worth printing.


I agree that the important parts of woot derbies are originality, artistic merit, and quality. I personally see this shirt as artistic and unique, mostly because of the paint splattering technique and the fact that the bird looks more like a dove than an eagle, which is something I don't often see about phoenixes.

AdderXYU wrote:As derbies go, always remember that entry saturation means a lot, even if wins seem slimmer. If we get a Valkyrie in the top 5 every week, people are going to get sick of seeing them, even if they never print.


You're right, I didn't take entries into account. I'm not going to look back into 10 derbies to check but I don't recall ever seeing as many phoenix entries as you're implying that there are.

JesseBYAH


quality posts: 5 Private Messages JesseBYAH
Re: Honey Is Sweeter Than Blood



This is great =) You're submissions every week continue to impress and delight me =D

yrubutugly


quality posts: 0 Private Messages yrubutugly
jbb04 wrote:I don't understand why this was rejected. "The Problem We All Live With" is a very famous work of art.



yeah...I'm very curious as to what higher up to talk to to find out why this was rejected. I mean i know i won't win the derby...but this seems a bit like a kick in the gut...

sexylittlerobot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages sexylittlerobot
Re: Inspired By~A Women With A Head Of Rose~1935



a girlfriend for patrimpas! http://www.ffsky.com/ff/zhuanti/FF8//hacks/Patrimpas.jpg

I like this one, it gives me that sort of indescribable quixotic yearning for another time and place..

blukat44


quality posts: 1 Private Messages blukat44
Re: Dogs Playing Poker



I have to say, I was drinking Tea while looking at this shirt. I almost spit it out. Hilarious, Love it.

albinoapple


quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
Re: The Umbrellas



Uuuuugh why asphalt whyyyy! GMV but not sure if I'd buy it yet. :[

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
AdderXYU wrote:
I know you're not an artist, which is fine because I'm not either, but from what I hear it is far more helpful to any artist to give all opinions, negative and positive, than to just stay quiet to be nice. And obviously if people can't tell the difference between an entry that actually reinterprets a title and one that doesn't, that sort of input is needed. But I'm always happy to inform.



sorry Lucky that im responding again in your comments, i wasn't going to post anything else because you asked us not to but i feel i had to clear one last thing up.

Adder, i don't know why you assumed that I wasn't an artist, since i've submitted many designs to this site, but be assured that I am an artist and in my experience as an artist your critisism isnt constructive, its negative, there are ways of going about telling an artist what is wrong with his or her work without being a jerk about it and you are not doing that. in fact in my experience with other artist, there is always that ONE guy in the crowd who has to say something unnecessarially negative. and for this site that guy is you, we all roll our eyes when you post on something because we know what your gonna say, cause you just can't help yourself. I don't know what artists told you that they love to hear any critisim, maybe that is what they like to hear, but i think when an artist personally tells you to leave them alone and stop posting in their thread, that means they dont want your criticism.

JesseBYAH


quality posts: 5 Private Messages JesseBYAH
endangeredomega wrote:[Gasp!] You say that like it's a bad thing.

Some folks have just got a little too much fabulous to be confined to just one. And everyone else is just jealous ;)



HAHA yes!!!!

<3 this. Very beautiful. I think it could be even better on a different shirt color, or with some of the suggestions made by art, but this is still awesome. Nice entry, +1

jasneko


quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Honey Is Sweeter Than Blood

haha, so clever and so cute!

Vote!


profbrendan


quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
Re: The Phantom Landscape by Magritte



Excellent artwork! This has a great sense of wonder and exploration.

profbrendan


quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
Re: Inspired by The Great Wave



Better hope that giant hand is benevolent or else it's about to lay some serious smack down on those poor innocent bystanders.

Great work!

chennai8


quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8
cmdixon2 wrote:Questions like this sort of throw me because I never really know how to answer them. I never seem to approach a design the same way, so I don't have a real pattern for how I work. I'll give it a shot.

Sometimes I do sketch on paper. Sometimes I just wing it in Photoshop. It just depends on the concept and what I have in my head. This design started off with a slightly different concept than what I ended up with. I decided to work straight in Photoshop without using a sketch and just see what happened. This design evolved on it's own as I worked on it. That happens to me a lot.

Basically I treat every design differently and they all come about in different ways so I can't really describe a process I use because it's always changing. Some weeks the designs come about easily and some weeks I struggle to get it right. I imagine it's that way with a lot of designers.

Sorry if that's not very clear. Glad you enjoy my work though!

And thanks again everyone for all the comments!



Wow, that's very Artistish reply :P
just kidding, All your designs are so clean, professional and crisp, They don't seem like you wing it and happen upon them, So i think it's your crazy skill rather than the process.

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

profbrendan


quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
Re: The Umbrellas


I can't say enough good stuff about this one. Man, I hope it prints!

profbrendan


quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
Re: The Physical Impossibility of Death...


So awesome. That shark is so roostery!
(also, interesting that the ad on the side when I was viewing this was for Shark Week! How'd they know?)

profbrendan


quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
Re: Triple Self-Portrait


This is great! All the details really make this a fantastic little scene. Definitely looking forward to more of your work!

armandoartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages armandoartist
Re: Nighthawks



its nice

SeedUvPain


quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain
JesseBYAH wrote:This is great =) You're submissions every week continue to impress and delight me =D



thank you very much!

jasneko


quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Triple Self-Portrait

I've been meaning to post on this one but kept getting distracted. Such a charming illustration and delightful style!

Vote!