ellerythecelery


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ellerythecelery

Fantastic shirt! I really like the work of Escher, and I think you've done a great interpretation of it. The olive doesn't bother me, but I could see this shirt looking great on a variety of other colors as well. I'd definitely wear it either way! +1

jasneko


quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: The Tree of Life

Hey, so nice to see this again in the hotness since last night - thanks everyone who likes it!

Some more details for those interested:




Spiritgreen


quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Moon Explorer Robot by Andy Warhol



What a great illustration! The perspective and the energy in your pose is very clever and yet it seems effortless. The paint wash coloring totally suits it too, even though it's a mechanical character.

It's a darn cool shirt. Where are all the votes?!

+1

briansantamaria


quality posts: 0 Private Messages briansantamaria
paigeg wrote:That's exactly what folks are trying to tell you - turn it down a notch and listen. Woot doesn't have this color, this is not on Woot's template, and in general, photos are rejectionable. Woot is for illustrations - hand-drawn stuff. Can't say I've never seen a photo get by, but...
So, basically - this sub doesn't follow the rules. At all. It is what it is.



Why is Woot only for hand-drawn illustrations? Because you say it is? That's not in the rules. And the template thing is fine, but all their standards say is that it will be changed if it's made. It's not going to get made so it doesn't matter.

Why are you so stuck on saying that since you don't like something it's against the rules? Is it possible that something could be a completely legitimate submission AND you don't like it?

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Man Holding Up a Baby as Though He Were...



The night-time feeds were beginning to take their toll on Bob. :p

Funny idea Boots²! +1

deftgurl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deftgurl
Re: Night Watch



Very cool, wild bird.

Sevenie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sevenie
Re: The Umbrellas



loveloveLOVE this. GMV and oh man it needs to win so i can have this FANTASTIC shirt.

ilovemouse


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ilovemouse
Re: The Umbrellas



best shirt of the derby. hands down.

lmoughty


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lmoughty
Re: Starry Night



Sweet design. I would have like to see it without the sky blob and just the stars directly on the shirt. Maybe it's just me but I was so distracted by it I didn't notice that the stars formed a heart until I looked at it a second time.

aPleaForMercy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages aPleaForMercy
Re: Inspired by Clock Explosion



The painting by Dali is called "The Persistence of Memory" just to let ya know

missile225


quality posts: 0 Private Messages missile225

I love the colors on this. Too bad it wasn't around for the psychedelia derby. Probably would have been a guaranteed win. But this is definitely the only one (besides my own) : P this derby that I would buy at 1:01 without a second thought.

missile225


quality posts: 0 Private Messages missile225

excellent design, sir.

hannaz92


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hannaz92
briansantamaria wrote:Why is Woot only for hand-drawn illustrations? Because you say it is? That's not in the rules. And the template thing is fine, but all their standards say is that it will be changed if it's made. It's not going to get made so it doesn't matter.

Why are you so stuck on saying that since you don't like something it's against the rules? Is it possible that something could be a completely legitimate submission AND you don't like it?



I am pretty sure she was just trying to help you understand if you submit for another derby. And as a side note since you are stuck on the picture thing. If you did not take the picture you used in the submission, you can not submit it either. Since it isn't actually your work.

missmissa07


quality posts: 12 Private Messages missmissa07
briansantamaria wrote:Why is Woot only for hand-drawn illustrations? Because you say it is? That's not in the rules. And the template thing is fine, but all their standards say is that it will be changed if it's made. It's not going to get made so it doesn't matter.

Why are you so stuck on saying that since you don't like something it's against the rules? Is it possible that something could be a completely legitimate submission AND you don't like it?



Woot is only for hand-drawn illustrations because photos are too hard to print. Typically, photos consist of a lot more than just 6 colors, and there is a 6 color limit on designs because it is too much work/would be too expensive to allow more than that. And it is in the rules, as if you paid attention to past derbies you would realize that people have been rejected many times in the past for using photos in their entries.

The comments on this design do not exist to insult it because the various people don't like it. They exist to point out what is literally wrong with the design that is/was going to cause it to get rejected. Woot has rejected hundreds of tees in the past for not being on a woot templet. They have particular shirt colors that they allow - they simply cannot print a tee on a blank that they do not have.

Please do some research before submitting a design next time, and don't necessary become overwhelmingly defensive because people are trying to help you.

I am sorry if this post came off as snooty, that is not my intention. It just baffles me when artists become irritated or automatically assume people are "bashing" them when they simply did not follow the rules.

profbrendan


quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
briansantamaria wrote:Why is Woot only for hand-drawn illustrations...Is it possible that something could be a completely legitimate submission AND you don't like it?



Everything I was gonna say about colors and photos has already been said, but I'll just add a couple things.

The derby theme was to reinterpret the name of a famous piece, not to parody or reference the original work. Though this is sort of a grey area for some titles and has admittedly flummoxed many people in this derby, it's what they were looking for. So if you wanted to use La Pieta as your reference, the better thing to do would have been to reinterpret the title itself, or the translation, The Pity. Not the original statue or Lazlo Toth. Look at some of the other rejections and you can maybe see what I'm talking about.

As far as the template in your shirt comp is concerned, I don't think Woot really cares, considering the majority of shirt comps are on other presentation templates, mine included. Is that always gonna be 100% true? Nope. But I would bet that as long as your print-ready art file is on their template and everything else is in line with the rules, it's probably fine.

No one is saying that it's breaking rules because they don't like it, they're saying it because it's true. Maybe don't take it personal, just learn from it so you don't get rejected in the future.

pixmith


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pixmith
Exohdus wrote:Really cool concept, great design. Only thing I'm personally not fond of is the eyes of the angel, something just doesn't sit right with me in relation to the character. Still definitely a vote from me, gj sir.



I agree about the eyes

jfade


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfade

This is awesome. I really hope this makes it to print, because I would definitely buy one. But, I doubt I'd wear it... Mostly because I'd wanna stretch it around a square wooden frame and hang it above the bookshelves in my bedroom. It looks that good.

pixmith


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pixmith
Re: The Discovery of fire



feels like the graphics should be moved up a bit so the sings almost tough the shoulders and span the neckline!!! but awesome art!

jasneko


quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: The Discovery of fire

Love the colors and the painted style is gorgeous!


joe517


quality posts: 0 Private Messages joe517

I really would love to get this t-shirt. Nice job.

Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
RagnarokAngel wrote:The logical argument is that it's a futuristic, or even post-human, "starry" night — with something that aren't really stars acting as stars. I'm pretty sure that falls within the limits of "reinterpretation" of the title. This really feels like a woot staffer got slaphappy with the rejection hammer.


EDIT:

I thought I'd just point out the relevant sentences so you can see where the rest of us are coming from
"This week we're asking you to create a design reinterpreting the title of a famous work of art. Don't worry about recreating van Gogh's The Starry Night; just riff on the idea of a starry night."
It's says Don't worry about, not that it isn't acceptable to do so, and that it should riff on a starry night, which satellites as stars does well imho.

EDIT 2:

And a second thought that drives this ideology home is that The Great Wave doesn't get rejected, yet is in the same style as the original painting? C'mon woot.



I agree with everything you said but edit 2 - Great Wave stands on it's own because it's a giant hand, waving - something unique from the original piece of art, and a complete reinterpretation regardless of style.

But like I said, I agree in the other aspect - a modernized starry night "riffs on the idea of a starry night" - if it wasn't in the same style as the original it wouldn't even be up for rejection I'm betting.

astyrfan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages astyrfan
Re: The Scream~! v2



Per request, murderer removed. Now scream-tastic and without film references!

-Ast

astyrfan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages astyrfan
tico0001 wrote:I concur... I would have immediately voted for it if it didn't have the Scream character.

~Tico



As per request, I've eliminated the murderer from the shirt. Assuming it gets reasonable response, I'll be taking this one down.

Thanks for the input, folks =)

New one:

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=44455

-Ast

spookynutz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages spookynutz
Re: The Scream~! v2



Much better! <3!

Barnhill5


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barnhill5
imsochady wrote:That is some awesome rendering! Love the texturing too!



Spiritgreen wrote:-Love - the effect of the parallax layers of paper. The way you've used your palette is especially clever...



AGREED! This is fantastic, Travis!!!

LiliaRose


quality posts: 0 Private Messages LiliaRose

I think your fruit is cute, Art.

myndii


quality posts: 0 Private Messages myndii
JadenKale wrote:

Phoenix Rising
- RamyB & Zenne collab (line derby)

Life Renewed
- TheInfinityLoop (beginning derby)

The Original Recycler
- patrickspens (bird derby)

Non-derby piece:
Phoenix Rising
- MissMonster


and about 10X that in non-winning entries...



I saw each of these pieces when they were on sale, and I did not like the style of any of them (granted, I might've gone for patrickspens's design if it weren't for those hideous blue arrows).

So frankly, I like this design, am glad that it's in the cloud, and will probably buy one if it prints.

DaveD1420


quality posts: 7 Private Messages DaveD1420
Spiritgreen wrote:The night-time feeds were beginning to take their toll on Bob. :p



Been there, and what a toll it is!

kitsunerei


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kitsunerei
alranth wrote:Paul Klee meets the Audubon Society meets Twitter.

The Twittering Machine by Paul Klee



I just wanted to say, thanks for a fun interpretation of my favorite Klee work, in part because of the title

sgreenip


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sgreenip
Re: Waterfall, by M.C. Escher



ellerythecelery wrote:Fantastic shirt! I really like the work of Escher, and I think you've done a great interpretation of it. The olive doesn't bother me, but I could see this shirt looking great on a variety of other colors as well. I'd definitely wear it either way! +1



ellerythecelery, thank you so much for those wonderful compliments and the vote! I really appreciate that! Escher has been my fave for at least twenty years now (hope I'm not showing my age too much there), and I have definitely been influenced a great deal by him. I tried this on many different colors, but I liked the earthy feel of the olive. It was way too contrasty on a lot of the other colors, but I must agree it still looked pretty cool. Thanks again!

odysseyroc


quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
Re: The Discovery of fire



I like this, but the one thing that is bothering me is that is too obvious that you used the same photoshop brush a few times. It's the repeating of of the larger blobs, with no variation that does it. It's really killing the design for me.





linablade


quality posts: 0 Private Messages linablade
Re: Starry Night



I'm really touched by the amount of people that have shown support here, even though the design was rejected. Thank you all so much for making my first attempt at the Derby so much more memorable! Rest assured that I have not been deterred by this and I will be entering again in the future. I'll just have to pay a bit more attention to the theme's wording next time. Thanks again everyone, and hope to see you all in the next Derby!

bellarific


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellarific
Re: Bird in Space.



Ya know, I think I like the thumbnail more than the whole design (and I really like the design!). O_o

I guess I just uberly enjoy looking at your swanky linework, and the thumbnail boasts it best.

...That all was a compliment, by the way. I struggle with these things.

yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
Re: Man Holding Up a Baby as Though He Were...



I laughed at this the other day, and I had to come back today and laugh at it again. That earns it a vote, and if it ever prints anywhere, a purchase. Freakin' hilarious.

sciencemodel


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sciencemodel
Re: Starry Night



This is an absolutely beautiful design and I'm so sad that it was rejected and I won't be able to purchase it as a t-shirt.

Honestly I'm not really sure why it was rejected because of a lot of the reasons stated previously. I see this as a similar reinterpretation as the great wave design that's still in the fog right now. The only thing different is that that one is punny and yours is not. Still done as a re-interpretation of the title while keeping the feel of the original, just as yours is.

Oh well. Please keep designing & submitting! This design is awesome!

albinoapple


quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple

Ah, I just noticed JadenKale's post! That is an awful lot of phoenix shirts. Still might buy it though, if I like a shirt then I like it. I was around for all of those shirts, and I just didn't want any of them. I guess in my mind that makes this one different from the rest!

vorteks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vorteks
Re: The Scream~! v2



Yay! Voted.

Danni1185


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Danni1185

LOVE this! Great work. I would definitely buy one!

Siax


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Siax
aPleaForMercy wrote:The painting by Dali is called "The Persistence of Memory" just to let ya know



my bad i must of looked at the wrong name o-well this isn't gonna print anyway