Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
linablade wrote:I'm really touched by the amount of people that have shown support here, even though the design was rejected. Thank you all so much for making my first attempt at the Derby so much more memorable! Rest assured that I have not been deterred by this and I will be entering again in the future. I'll just have to pay a bit more attention to the theme's wording next time. Thanks again everyone, and hope to see you all in the next Derby!

Do you intend to submit this design elsewhere when you can (I don't recall if 60 days applies to shirts that were rejected)?

Darquis

AdderXYU wrote:For the umpteenth time, this does reinterpret the title as well. Unless you think THE REAL OCEAN HAS HANDS.

No, and this one deserves to stay in, but http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=44372 this entry, for example, is the original work of art, with guns, in green pixelated art. I don't have anything against the piece or the artist, but Draug is right in saying there is a lot of inconsistency if Vitruvian man there is allowed in and others are not.

pjsiqhh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pjsiqhh
Re: The Thinker

The ironic thing is my browser timed out twice trying to load this page.

Timeoftheelves

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Timeoftheelves
Re: The Young Beggar

Aw, so sad and yet so cute! GMV

PBRules

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PBRules
wylekat wrote:The image quality is due only to image artifacting from reducing it. I spent FAR too much time making pen strokes on the actual design.

I really think this is one of the best. Funny concept and I really enjoy the stars the knight is seeing are the stars from the actual starry night. Props to you for the design!

weeborg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages weeborg
Re: Triple Self-Portrait

I just have to tell you that I love this design, and I love your style! Definitely please keep submitting!

sogj

quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj
Re: THE SCREAM

HA!

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

pookarah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pookarah
Vinyaernil wrote:This is cool, but it looks stretched horizontally.

Agreed... still really like it though.

dmkooo

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dmkooo
Re: The Discovery of fire

Reminds me of "freebird"

http://xkcd.com/556/

lonelypond

quality posts: 437 Private Messages lonelypond

MathUhhhSaurus

quality posts: 59 Private Messages MathUhhhSaurus
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=44460]

"M.C. Escher's my favorite M.C."

Examine Bindle of Carrots.
What Bindle of Carrots?

MathUhhhSaurus

quality posts: 59 Private Messages MathUhhhSaurus
MathUhhhSaurus wrote:"M.C. Escher's my favorite M.C."

*emcee

Examine Bindle of Carrots.
What Bindle of Carrots?

sextonftw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sextonftw
Re: Separation of Light from Darkness

Transfixing! It's an zone out shirt.

sextonftw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sextonftw
Re: The Scream

Trippy awesomeness on an attractively colored shirt, well done!

3blackbelt3

quality posts: 4 Private Messages 3blackbelt3
creativedv8tion wrote:Wow, denial much? Look, I know you're embarrassed because everyone pointed out all the reasons that makes it apparent that you didn't bother to read the rules, but yes, your submission violated many of the rules, THEREFORE it did not follow the rules.

This.

zenadventurer2010

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zenadventurer2010

Tbe dog makes it!

Geo

tangentreality

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tangentreality
Re: The Umbrellas

I love this shirt, it is very pretty and cute. I've been avoiding graphic Ts for the last while (just had too many and needed to convert my wardrobe a bit, haha) but I would still buy this shirt if it won. :D

flemtone

quality posts: 7 Private Messages flemtone
Re: Dogs Playing Poker

I love this design.

IMO, the 'Dogs Playing Poker' title defines the genre, not the actual painting, much like the Velvet Elvis. To me, it works on many levels. Call me a drooling mouth-breather (well, go on - I'll wait), but I know all these paintings as 'Dogs Playing Poker', not their original titles. I would have completely missed the point otherwise.

Great design - I'd love to wear this on stage.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Skrik! (The Scream)

Not sure if the vampire or the white shirt is putting folks off, but I think this deserves more love. A really attractive illo.

Kailadriel

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Kailadriel

This is absolutely stunning. It might be the first derby entry I've seen that took my breath away. You've definitely GMV, and I pray that this goes up for sale!

Re: The Umbrellas

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: The Last supper

Loving the Hokusai style, but I'm not down with the paisley whale. It kinda takes away from the awesomeness of the way the water is rendered. Use a Woot navy tee and use the tee color for the whale...?

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan
pjsiqhh wrote:The ironic thing is my browser timed out twice trying to load this page.

I hate you hourglass!

grrrreg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grrrreg
Re: The Life Line

i want 1

cooldudeguy911

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cooldudeguy911
Re: Winged Victory

For some reason, I am reminded of "La Defensa"

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 218 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Woman with Yellow Hair - Pablo Picasso.

Skillful use of monotone. Hopefully you'll at least get an HM and be back at the start of the double-take derby.

+1

effiew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages effiew
Re: Woman with Yellow Hair - Pablo Picasso.

Are you going to consider submitting this design elsewhere for printing? If so, I'd like to know. I'd really like an opportunity to buy this one.

tlwwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tlwwoot

i really want this shirt. absolutely gorgeous. are there any other ways.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
briansantamaria wrote:If you don't like it, that's fine, ....

My post had nothing to do with whether this is likeable or whether this is art. I posted some of the reasons that woot could reject it.

This is a contest, and as such there are rules that everyone has to follow to make sure that everyone has the same chance to win. There are the weekly rules, based on what woot has in the warehouse and what their printers can achieve, as well as who they want to sell to. In that category, you picked a shirt color they don't have and too many inks for their machine.

There are also weekly rules concerning the theme. You missed that also.

If you want to enter this in a more open forum, try DBH or Threadless. DBH has a more artistic community - but a lot more competition, and Threadless is up for everything.

indihar

quality posts: 7 Private Messages indihar
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=44460]

VOTED!

Wish this had shown up about a week ago...I would definitely buy 3 of this one!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: The Tree of Life

I think this design has had the lowest comments compared to votes as far as my designs go... very interesting. Thanks for all the votes, mostly quiet voters!

Vote!

DeadFrog

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DeadFrog
Re: Moon Explorer Robot by Andy Warhol

Love the robot. The 1950's vibe + postmodern apathy is surprisingly charming.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

mjc613 wrote:My post had nothing to do with whether this is likeable or whether this is art. I posted some of the reasons that woot could reject it.

This is a contest, and as such there are rules that everyone has to follow to make sure that everyone has the same chance to win. There are the weekly rules, based on what woot has in the warehouse and what their printers can achieve, as well as who they want to sell to. In that category, you picked a shirt color they don't have and too many inks for their machine.

There are also weekly rules concerning the theme. You missed that also.

If you want to enter this in a more open forum, try DBH or Threadless. DBH has a more artistic community - but a lot more competition, and Threadless is up for everything.

All signs point to troll. I think this person is just looking to bait you and anyone into wasting as much time on them as possible.

cosmiccow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cosmiccow
Re: La Pieta by Michelangelo

briansantamaria: From the standpoint of someone who has a degree in art history, as a work of art, the design is legitimate. Not necessarily good, but it's very much in the vein of mid-80's thru mid-90's political/social art.
However, shirt.woot is not an art gallery, and the derby is not an exhibition. It is a contest, with rules, with the goal, quite frankly, of finding the design they will be able to sell the most of. Those rules entail the printing process used (i.e. how many colors can be present), what you are allowed to use in your creation, and what shirt colors are available. You, quite frankly, broke every single one of those.
You didn't take the photo, that's obvious. You say as such. That's a rule broken.
Even if you HAD taken the photo, the use of color and gradient would well exceed the 6 spot-color limit. That's a rule broken.
Woot makes it clear what colors they have available for shirts. Hot pink is not one of them (thank god for that). That's a rule broken.

If you had just commented, "I know it's not printable, but I really wanted to share this design," then fine. Instead, you try to say that something that violates a number of rules that have long been established doesn't in fact violate those rules, which, quite frankly, is astoundingly obstinate and silly. It would be like if a schoolteacher caught a student who had written test answers on their hand, and they kept going, "No, those aren't really there! You're wrong!"

profbrendan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
DeadFrog wrote:Love the robot. The 1950's vibe + postmodern apathy is surprisingly charming.

Thanks DeadFrog! Glad you like it.

cosmiccow

Darquis wrote:I agree with everything you said but edit 2 - Great Wave stands on it's own because it's a giant hand, waving - something unique from the original piece of art, and a complete reinterpretation regardless of style.

But like I said, I agree in the other aspect - a modernized starry night "riffs on the idea of a starry night" - if it wasn't in the same style as the original it wouldn't even be up for rejection I'm betting.

Wow, that's seriously splitting hairs. The artist on Great Wave even admits to basically tracing parts of the original. Yeah, he replaced the wave with a "wave." But I would argue that it's closer to the original than this one is.

cosmiccow

imsochady wrote:Ah phooey! Oh wells. Thanks again for the peeps who were amused by this and gave support and left them cool comments. Cheers to you all!

There have been some seriously arbitrary rejections (or lack thereof) this week. You got ripped off, man.

Darquis

cosmiccow wrote:Wow, that's seriously splitting hairs. The artist on Great Wave even admits to basically tracing parts of the original. Yeah, he replaced the wave with a "wave." But I would argue that it's closer to the original than this one is.

Closer or not, it's a great Wave - it's waving. That's reinterpretation - a lot of users went with puns. Maybe it should have just been puns on art titles.

gadam07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gadam07

Spiritgreen, you are my hero. I will be purchasing this when it inevitably arrives on shirt.woot.

mitchellp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
Re: The Scream!

Sorry you didn't win... I thought it should've done better. If Woot! doesn't pick it up for a double-take derby, I'd submit it to Threadless. Nice work just the same!

kitsunerei

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kitsunerei
Re: Flower Carrier

Just wanted to say I love the detail and shading texture of the piece! The blue really glows against the greys of the rest of the piece and just having the bit of color enhances it a lot.

It reminds me of Laputa most, with the robot holding the flower when they're on the floating castle, but despite any similarities that can be drawn I think it stands strongly on its own. Good luck! :D