LOLcommunism

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LOLcommunism
sokowa wrote:Well said LOLcom (and thanks for the Velociraptor shout out ;) ) I actually came across it myself for the first time today. In a bike shop no less!

LOL REALLY?

I wear mine at least once a week. ; 3; I love dinosaurs <3

and Sharks that drive Tanks while storming beaches. :D

Would you kindly...

gadam07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gadam07
LOLcommunism wrote:Even though you didn't win, I want you to know that this shirt is one of the best shirts I've ever seen in my life. If I would have been allowed to buy this, this shirt would have been one of my favorites.

It has the same subtle humor as the Villainous Victorian Velociraptor did back when it was being sold and THATS one of my favorite shirts.

I hope that this shirt gets an honorable mention and that it will be up for voting again because I will be crossing my fingers for it.

This shirt is completely original, well drawn, and well thought out. It deserves to be in the reckoning for everyone to where. I wish I could say the same for a certain piece thats already in there.

Once again, good luck if you get the honorable mention, I'll be pulling for you.

Amen to that. I'd have bought several for when I inevitably wore one out. I actually drew something just like this a couple years back; an old Russian tank driven by a bunch of sharks, specifically. I was amused by the switch in meanings of a shark in a tank, and I happen to be very fond of both.

Please inform us if you ever get this printed elsewhere, Spiritgreen, and I'll be watching for that potential honorable mention!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: The Physical Impossibility of Death...

Thanks to everyone who supported this design.

Tank Shark feels the love! (he hates that)

wolfgaidin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wolfgaidin

Terrific design. I want this on a shirt so badly. Well done.

wolfgaidin

Terrific design. I want this on a shirt so badly. Well done.

wolfgaidin

wolfgaidin wrote:Terrific design. I want this on a shirt so badly. Well done.

Stupid server errors causing double-posting.

urchin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages urchin
KromeHWI wrote:in case you do not know the image, this is the statue of peace at the Hiroshima atomic bomb memorial park.

Do Hiroshima and Nagasaki have identical statues? I only ask because I have seen this statue in person in Nagasaki at the Nagasaki Peace Park. Nagasaki was bombed on August 9.

ChaosDoctor07

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ChaosDoctor07
gadam07 wrote:Amen to that. I'd have bought several for when I inevitably wore one out. I actually drew something just like this a couple years back; an old Russian tank driven by a bunch of sharks, specifically. I was amused by the switch in meanings of a shark in a tank, and I happen to be very fond of both.

Please inform us if you ever get this printed elsewhere, Spiritgreen, and I'll be watching for that potential honorable mention!

Agreed. If this prints at any future date, I'm in for at least one. One of the most-wearable designs, for my personal taste, I've ever seen on this site.

"Don't believe in the you who believes in me. Don't believe in the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself."

RandomLynx

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RandomLynx

I am shocked this one didn't do better, I was really hoping to wear it in the near future

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
Re: The Physical Impossibility of Death...

Ok, let me start off by saying that whenever this prints, I am in for at least 2, maybe 3.

However, I just realized this was completely off topic for the derby. 8 shirts from this derby were rejected due to "reinterpreting artwork" instead of "reinterpreting title". This shirt is completely shark in a tank, and not The Physical Impossibility of Death.

I overlooked it until now because I think I was caught up in the I want one! state of mind. But how did Woot! overlook it if they rejected 8 others? Maybe it was because of how awesome it is.

Either way, I hope very much to own this one day. Please keep us posted if it prints somewhere else SG.

Thanks!

Happy Beer.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Thanks for the support jabberjaws'! I should explain that, like Robbie Lee and Walmazan's designs, I was reinterpreting the title -and- the content of the original art piece.

"The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living" can also be interpreted as feeling undefeatable or indestructible. Once I settled on that as my theme it quickly dawned on me that I could still use the shark and a different kind of tank to express it. Double whammy style. ;)

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
Spiritgreen wrote:Thanks for the support jabberjaws'! I should explain that, like Robbie Lee and Walmazan's designs, I was reinterpreting the title -and- the content of the original art piece.

"The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living" can also be interpreted as feeling undefeatable or indestructible. Once I settled on that as my theme it quickly dawned on me that I could still use the shark and a different kind of tank to express it. Double whammy style. ;)

yeah i didn't think of it that way.

either way it's mine when it prints!

Happy Beer.

bsbangel180

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsbangel180
Re: Birth of Venus

I must say, I am very upset this did not make the cut. I would have LOVE to have worn this!

JirafaBo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages JirafaBo
YinofYang wrote:You know, I've never seen giraffe as being particularly fearsome in any way, but this is excellent. Wow, love the artwork.

then you've never seen two male giraffes beat each other (sometimes to death) with their necks over a female. it's almost disturbing to watch it's so brutal

fronz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fronz

So there's no way to get this as a shirt since it didn't win the contest? I'd really like to buy this shirt . . .

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
fronz wrote:So there's no way to get this as a shirt since it didn't win the contest? I'd really like to buy this shirt . . .

Not sure which shirt you mean, but keep an eye on the current derby, as several shirts from Art Titles Reinterpreted are vying for another chance to see the light of day

fronz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fronz
Darquis wrote:Not sure which shirt you mean, but keep an eye on the current derby, as several shirts from Art Titles Reinterpreted are vying for another chance to see the light of day

The Burning Giraffe one. Is it likely that it will be available as a shirt within the next week? Or has its chance passed? Really want that shirt.

jeeeperz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeeeperz

Where can I buy one of those?!

littlepharoah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages littlepharoah
cashland wrote:thanks!

Is this shirt available? I really want it...

linablade

quality posts: 0 Private Messages linablade

Well, it's been a long time since this derby, and I finally got off my butt and posted my Starry Night shirt somewhere else! Click for the original derby entry. It's up for sale now, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link it in this post or not (since that would be advertising another site). If you're interested, please send me a private message and I'll let you know where it's up. Also, I removed that fake binary from the moon, since that seemed to be something everyone agreed needed to go. Thanks again for all the support! And I look forward to submitting more derby entries here in the future!

monkeyboi1011

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monkeyboi1011

Hey - I was wondering if this shirt is still up for sale on the other site that you mentioned? If so, please let me know. I think this is a great shirt and would def like to own one!

Thanks!

linablade wrote:Well, it's been a long time since this derby, and I finally got off my butt and posted my Starry Night shirt somewhere else! Click for the original derby entry. It's up for sale now, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link it in this post or not (since that would be advertising another site). If you're interested, please send me a private message and I'll let you know where it's up. Also, I removed that fake binary from the moon, since that seemed to be something everyone agreed needed to go. Thanks again for all the support! And I look forward to submitting more derby entries here in the future!

kumibradshaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kumibradshaw

Robbie, is this shirt available anywhere?

rglee129 wrote:I'm glad you sort of like the design! Believe me, this wasn't a Photoshop quickie. If you compare this design to the original, you'll see the vast majority of it is new, original linework- only the mountain and one wave (not the great one!) were copied (not pasted, but hand copied in the traditional sense) from the original. It was actually difficult to organically end the image and to use only 3 colors for the whole thing, etc.

Also, I really don't think the hand placement is an issue- do you think it would look like it was copping a feel or something?

I hope I don't sound too defensive here, but I'm proud of the way this design turned out and I'd hate for you to think this was a Photochop job!