endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
cosmiccow wrote:This is just awesome. I'm an art historian and I grew up on TMNT (the orignal...both the Eastman and Laird books and the old school cartoon), so this one just strikes a chord with me.

As I'm sure this week's daily shirt did as well?

http://shirt.woot.com/friends.aspx?k=14665

Sorry, I understand the concept is slightly different, but for me, this one just comes far too soon on the heels of the other TMNT/Classic Art mash-up (which many already accused of being a retread of a Threadless print.)

penguinzaz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages penguinzaz
Re: The Burning Giraffe

I love this so much, but I think I'd like it a bit more if the image was shifted a bit to the right, or made larger.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: The Physical Impossibility of Death...

You did it! Captured the 2 things my husband loves to watch on TV on one shirt - tank battles and sharks, on any channel. Next time we lose power, I'll just tape this to the TV and point a flashlight at it, and he probably won't notice.

cosmiccow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cosmiccow
Spiritgreen wrote:

I like it! I think the speech bubble takes away from it, though.

dougblair3

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dougblair3
Re: Michelangelo's David

Hahahah. Most original TMNT shirt I've seen in a LONG time.

endangeredomega

Re: Autumn Rhythm by Jackson Pollock

Does anyone else look at this design and suddenly feel a Cool Breeze blow through ...

http://shirt.woot.com/friends.aspx?k=3806

Mitohapa

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Mitohapa

Klimt's "The Kiss", android'd!

theWanker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker
Re: Persistence of Memory

The original:

DeadFrog

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DeadFrog
Re: Bird in Space.

This design is awesome. It's exactly what I hoped this derby would produce: a shirt that subtly mocks high modernism that I can wear to school.

ncolgate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ncolgate
Lagbert wrote:Very cool! If Pixar had done Walle with a steam punk theme, I bet he'd look something like this.

GMV

I know exactly what you mean To me, though, it reminds me of Miyazaki films.

mjc613

Re: The Scream

How hysterically funny!

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
cosmiccow wrote:Oh, no! I didn't mean to imply that you did. It's clear that you started from scratch and meticulously tried to mimic the original. I absolutely love the concept, and that you have the wave and people greeting each other with "konnichiwa." The drawing is extremely well done, and it's a well balanced composition. It's just that, from the perspective of an art historian who interprets this derby as trying to get people to view works or titles in new, unique ways...it's a little TOO meticulous. TOO close to the original. I don't think it's off topic, I just don't think it was quite what they had in mind. (That said, I know you had this design already made, I remember you posting a modified version in the Kawaii thread, so I don't blame you for bringing it out for this one!)
As far as hand placement, that was just my impression as a man, the women may not agree (and so far haven't!)
I wasn't trying to denigrate your work, it's very good.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a thoughtful and diplomatic reply. I'm glad you like the design overall.

I hope you find some interesting stuff this derby- for an art historian, this week's theme may end up to be very gratifying, frustrating, or (most likely) both.

specsmachine

quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine
Re: Flower Carrier

I would buy this just because it reminds me of "The Iron Giant."

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: The Mermaid

Very pretty, jas'. And I really like your water FX.

GMV. ^_^

endangeredomega

Definitely surreal. Nicely done, & GMV.

theWanker

Re: Dogs Playing Poker

Really cool. I agree about the halftone.

I also think the cards look a little strange. The ones on the table have perspective, but the ones in their "hands" are flat. Just seems weird.

Anyway, it got a chuckle out of me.

mjc613

I think the photo will be an issue.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: The Boxer

And 'The Kiss' was sitting right there...

-_^

amarillo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amarillo

looks great!

theWanker

Awesome work. Only critique I have is that the shirt space is so long, and giraffes are so long, it'd be nice to communicate their imposing height more. Just show more of their legs.

An added benefit is that leg posture often can be used to convey power and authority. So you could have it rearing up on it's hind legs, or kicking out a front foot like a battle stallion.

Also, the fire would point down diagonally more, communicating power and motion.

Anyway, this is freakin' cool. GMV!

endangeredomega

Your thumbnail absolutely fails to do this proper justice. GMV, nonetheless.

capitalsown

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capitalsown
Re: Dogs Playing Poker

I don't mean to be a buzz kill, but there is no actual painting titled "Dogs playing poker". No famous one, anyway. That's just a colloquial name for a lot of CM Coolidge paintings featuring dogs playing poker.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Reminds me too much of dslasek's design. Robot holding plant.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

wugsby

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wugsby
Re: Winged Victory

I can't un-see the view of him looking like he only has one leg. Also, is that a skateboard behind the minotaur's head? Finally, why use a minotaur?

colinm09

quality posts: 70 Private Messages colinm09

I love this, Robbie! Awesome as usual.

Also, I just got my "Twenty If by Giant Robot" in the mail...it printed beautifully!

-Matt Colin

amesj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amesj

I love the stars on black, great to see your parrot shirt on sale at GoodJoe, I've been hankering for that one for some time.

pi3832

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pi3832

I thought is was "A loaf of bread, a quart of milk, and a pound of budder"?

notpallavi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages notpallavi
llklocke wrote:this isn't a great work of art, it's just a pop culture, propaganda image.

Pop culture images, and certainly propaganda images, make their way into art.

Very clever, astyrfan. The Riveter is one of my favorite images, and this interpretation cracked me up. (And made me de-lurk.)

cosmiccow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cosmiccow
rglee129 wrote:Thanks for taking the time to write such a thoughtful and diplomatic reply. I'm glad you like the design overall.

I hope you find some interesting stuff this derby- for an art historian, this week's theme may end up to be very gratifying, frustrating, or (most likely) both.

Haha, yes, a fair bit of both. I just wish I had more time to work on stuff and start submitting designs!
Good luck this week!

clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd
theWanker wrote:Not a fan of Dali? Well, it's also a pun on Solid State vs Flash memory.

Flash memory is solid state memory. Are you trying to say that it's a pun on volatile vs persistent memory (like SDRAM vs Flash) maybe? Or am I just misinterpreting everything. (Which happens sometimes)

DeadFrog

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DeadFrog
wugsby wrote:I can't un-see the view of him looking like he only has one leg. Also, is that a skateboard behind the minotaur's head? Finally, why use a minotaur?

To answer your questions,

1. Yes, he does have 2 legs. Most angels do.
2. The thing behind the Minotaur's head is a broken sword.
3. I actually hadn't put much thought into why. I just thought it would look pretty sweet. I guess you could think of it as a retelling of the Daedalus myth, with the time line being rearranged to accommodate more fight sequences.

mjc613

Re: The Concert

It would be interesting to hear "Jailhouse Rock" on a violin.

pi3832

ncolgate wrote:I know exactly what you mean To me, though, it reminds me of Miyazaki films.

Makes me think of District 9, despite the scarcity of robots in that movie.

goatcane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goatcane
Re: Persistence of Time

Yes, I know - the famous Dali work is technically "The Persistence of Memory" - but it is often reproduced and talked about amongst the art-illiterate as "Persistence of Time." So, the common folk misinterpret the Dali work in title (because of the clocks), making this W! extra meta.

META. It's what's for dinner.

phrozt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phrozt
Re: Winged Victory

Something about the sparkle on the sword reminds me of a magic card for some reason, and I just dug my old collection out after about a decade of not looking at them... so it might sound funny, but your design has a bit of a nostalgic look to it and I really like it lol.

theWanker

clarinerd wrote:Flash memory is solid state memory. Are you trying to say that it's a pun on volatile vs persistent memory (like SDRAM vs Flash) maybe?

Uh, yeah. That one. Or something.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: The Mermaid
JesseBYAH wrote:Awesome, Jas. I remember you old mermaid entry (you had one similar to this, right?) but this is definitely a step up. Awesome halftone work, it looks great =) I know you're not too fond of the halftone, but you did a fantastic job!

Thanks Jesse! I did have a mermaid/moby homeskillet entry that is similar, but different style-wise. Glad you think this is a step up! And thanks on the halftones - I'm not the most confident using them, but I did like the watery effect I kinda got with them! =)

capedcrusader514 wrote:I think you would have been OK with the red although this looks good too.

Yeah I agree... but since I was thinking about blue anyway I tried it and liked it, plus then realized I was one color over, so it worked out! Thanks for saying so, appreciate it.

Spiritgreen wrote:Very pretty, jas'. And I really like your water FX.

GMV. ^_^

Thank you Spiritgreen, and glad you like the water FX that I muddled through;)
PS. And thanks for the post in the PD thread too.

Vote!

phrozt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phrozt
endangeredomega wrote:Does anyone else look at this design and suddenly feel a Cool Breeze blow through ...

Yes.. there are leaves and notes in both designs...

... and that's about it.

To say your comment is a stretch is a bit of a stretch in and of itself.

clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd
endangeredomega wrote:Does anyone else look at this design and suddenly feel a Cool Breeze blow through ...

Wow, that actually is fairly similar. I had no idea that shirt existed. Hmmm. Do you think it's similar enough that I should pull it?

I guess that's what I get for assuming that no one would have thought of that idea before.

pi3832

Re: We Can Do It! (Rosie the Riveter)

But does it qualify as parody?