jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: The Physical Impossibility of Death...

Great detail on the tank Spiritgreen, and love the textures - it all works very well together!

RandomLynx

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RandomLynx

Might be one of the few light blue shirts I really like.

dewittc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dewittc
Re: Bits and Pieces Put Together ...

Hubby & I both voted for this & it's still showing Zero votes & a ranking of 9999th !!! waht's up with that!??? I guess the 'powers that be' don't want to give this design a shot at winning!

pi3832

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pi3832
cabooserwar wrote:The son of man.

The rules for this derby specifically say:

You must title your submission with the name of the Famous Work you're reinterpreting.

Best to re-sbumit, methinks.

pi3832

profbrendan wrote:Yes, it’s a pun on Yo! MTV Raps. I’m sorry.

Here’s the original, a self portrait by Pablo Picasso. You can clearly see that the same amount of artistry and skill has gone into mine.

This derby's rules specify:

You must title your submission with the name of the Famous Work you're reinterpreting.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
kylemittskus wrote:Reminds me too much of dslasek's design. Robot holding plant.

Found it.

Similar shirts exist.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

captainbaldie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages captainbaldie
kylemittskus wrote:Reminds me too much of dslasek's design. Robot holding plant.

Yes, the concepts are too similar in my opinion. It's a bit close to this one as well:

http://shirt.woot.com/Friends.aspx?k=13560

Nice work all the same, but the "nature robot" has been done to death IMHO.

etherbrian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages etherbrian

1000 apologies for hefty halftones, perspective impurities, and painted anthropomorphized canine quasimisidentifications. I just like hot dogs. They make mouths happy!

phrozt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phrozt
Re: Michelangelo's David

I like his tools at the bottom...

And endangeredomaga... are you jsut trying to crap all over every thread??
http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4052994

Seriously.. you're so far off it's pathetic.

profbrendan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
pi3832 wrote:This derby's rules specify:

Yep, I did. The title of the original work is Yo, Picasso. It's a self portrait.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Re: Mucha's Zodiac

Mucha Rules!

I tried a few different colored versions, but I really like this simple one the best. 2 colors on cream.

edugalad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edugalad
Re: The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp

Very Good, I instantly knew the piece you were re-interperating when I saw the thumbnail. Good Job! <3 Gingerbread Cookies

Siax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Siax
Re: The Thinker

Walmazan your my hero! +1!!!

edugalad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edugalad
Re: The Scream

I think this is the best re-interpretaion thus far. I get the same eerie feeling looking at the original work. The awesome part is, I would so wear this shirt. GMV

phrozt

captainbaldie wrote:Yes, the concepts are too similar in my opinion. It's a bit close to this one as well:

http://shirt.woot.com/Friends.aspx?k=13560

Nice work all the same, but the "nature robot" has been done to death IMHO.

So... apparently anything with a robot is now old?? I got owned by woot! do you people do all day? Sit around trying to find something that's barely even remotely close to something else and twist your panties over it?

I think it's a fantastic shirt. GMV and I'll buy it if it wins.

pi3832

Re: Flower Carrier

Just embedding images of the two other t-shirts that have been specifically mentioned.

Though, it seems to me that since the derbies are strictly popularity contests, it's inevitable that a lot of the winners will be similar to each other.

Indeed, if you are concerned more with winning than artistry, presumably you should mine previous winners for your design ideas. (I do not intend this as any kind of comment on patrickspens motivations or art. In fact, this entry GMV.)

omnitarian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages omnitarian

kwilder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwilder
Re: The Persistence of Memory

I want this so very very badly!

astyrfan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages astyrfan
Re: Dogs Playing Poker

I really like this one; I voted, but for some reason it seems to have sucked my vote up without counting it. It says your entry has 35 total votes in the hotlist, but with 43 votes in the past 3 hours. Is something broken?

-Ast

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Winged Victory

This is really sweet. I can see people's issue with the 'one leg' thing, but I didn't notice it until people pointed it out. I really like this, great work DeadFrog. Your skills always amaze me!

phrozt

Re: Inspired by The Great Wave

Great design, great presentation.. gmv!

bassanimation

Re: Bird in Space.

I really liked this one in the idea thread, and still do. It's a really cool take and something about this image is really memorable. +1!

pi3832

profbrendan wrote:Yep, I did. The title of the original work is Yo, Picasso. It's a self portrait.

Sorry. I forgot that "Yo" is a non-slang word in other languages.

bassanimation

Re: The Mermaid

I really love the changes to the hair, Jasneko! I like this version a lot, very pretty! Also, mermaids are timeless lore. There's so many rich legends about them. Love! +1

whovian42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whovian42
Re: The Treachery of Images

nicely done ..i like it - even though i'm aweful at that game ... and the french text is a nice touch

Leudast

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Leudast

Wonderful. Every time I look at it I cant stop laughing.

pi3832

dewittc wrote:Hubby & I both voted for this & it's still showing Zero votes & a ranking of 9999th !!! waht's up with that!??? I guess the 'powers that be' don't want to give this design a shot at winning!

Always assume conspiracy. They so often turn out to be true.

Anyway, this entry has been re-submitted, presumably to placate those of us with crappy monitors. Go vote for the re-sub.

pi3832

Re: Bits and Pieces Put Together ...

On behalf of everyone with crappy monitors, thank you for cranking up the contrast in the images.

phrozt

Re: Tommervik's Robin

Prolly gonna get rejected... that's almost exactly the original, just w/different texturing...

http://tommervik.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/800.jpg

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
kenney9226 wrote:...Therefore, "The Boxer" is a Famous ART Title!

Happy Birthday Kenney!!! Nice design!

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
Re: Mucha's Zodiac

While you've evoked Mucha's style well, and I can appreciate the subtle colour choices, I'm personally not a fan of the low placement. I'm also not sure I'm quite secure enough in my masculinity to wear such a feminine design.

sgreenip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sgreenip
Re: Waterfall, by M.C. Escher

Exohdus wrote:Neat design, I guess I just can't look at it and think waterfall...

Yeah, I guess it is more of twisted piece of sod that had the sprinkler on it too long, eh? Thanks, Exohdus!

phrozt

Re: Irises (Van Gogh)

Ohhhhhh... eye get it....

:D

ladafi

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladafi

I think this is really cute! Well done artwork too.

phrozt

Re: American Gothic

Very interesting take, and nicely executed.

I wonder how it would look if you made your images smaller to represent the full flag, but still keep the gothic texture...

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
phrozt wrote:So... apparently anything with a robot is now old?? I got owned by woot! do you people do all day? Sit around trying to find something that's barely even remotely close to something else and twist your panties over it?

I think it's a fantastic shirt. GMV and I'll buy it if it wins.

I don't think anyone is trying to claim that robots in and of themselves are off-limits for designs. Woot has printed *myriad* robot tees in the past (I myself own at least half a dozen, including the Dsladek design in question.)

However, the difference is that almost all of those shirts featured their own scenario or 'story', if you will. While they all feature robots, no one would accuse "The Awakening", "Squeeze", "Spring-ATRON", "Onward Robots!", "Bird-Powered Robot", "Almost Human", or "The Power of Giving" of being too similar to one another. (Just to name a few examples.)

The issue here is that this *concept* has won a derby before. (Steampunk Robot + Lonely looking bit of foliage.) Even the comments are eerily similar; if I recall correctly, Dsladek's shirt also drew multiple comparisons to Wall-E and the Iron Giant.

Woot claims to be dedicated to printing new and unique pieces; IMHO, examples like this are exactly why the "Similar Shirts Exist" rule was created.

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Dogs Playing Poker

WOW ETHERBRIAN!

Nice work here! love it!

tico0001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tico0001
awkwardmoose wrote:As soon as I saw this derby I knew I would see some awesome shirts, but NEVER did I expect to see, of all things, a reinvention of my all time favorite Dali painting. gmv. <3

These are also my favorite Dali paintings and I would buy this shirt in a heart-beat! I love how fierce this giraffe looks! GMV and good luck!

~Tico

walmazan

Re: Flower Carrier

I think you did an a incredible job here Patrick!

I take out my hat!

walmazan

Re: The Burning Giraffe

Sokowa, this giraffe it's amazing, and your color pallete are out of this word!

Love it!