+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

The natural world's a pretty incredible place. There are things like oceans, mountains, planets, stars, and black holes; and they're all moving to an unseen rhythm: electromagnetism, gravity, fusion, and all kinds of other mind-boggling physical forces. When you think about it, it's a miracle we're able just to make into work without spontaneously combusting. So for this Derby pay homage to the forces that shape our universe. Of course even physics has laws, so we've got some rules for you to follow:

No Star Wars.

No text.

No video games.

No bunnies.

No hamsters.
A totally random rule from a totally random Woot staffer totally randomly-named Stephanie.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Something tells me the winning design will be something hitting something else (robots?) and be called something generic like "gravity".

Ugh.

Need to think of something unique.

Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug

I foresee a lot of swirly designs. -_-;

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd

Oh man, what a great topic! There are so many things I could do with this!
Can you tell I like physics?

parrotworks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks

Occasionally I love a theme. This is one of them. I'm hoping the creative interruptions of gravity etc work as well. Good luck all.

nevetnod

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nevetnod

I foresee spherical horses.

I like celery.

parrotworks

An early judgement on quantum physics would be helpful.

arparham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arparham

I am actually really excited, I love physics!!!

Nerd, there I said it for you .

jennyland

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jennyland

My first thought was the old Newton/apple/tree image.

Then I thought of a tug-of-war.

Then I thought of Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson talking about how ridiculous the concept of Pluto being a planet was, because planets don't have tails.

Then I realized I have no talent whatsoever to even be thinking of these things, and I backed away and let the pros do it, hee!

148 and counting: 64 Woots (inc. 8 Bundles of Clones), 25 Wines, 15 Shirts, 7 Sellouts, 32 Kids, 5 Homes
May the Crap be ever in your favor.

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62

I can't say I hate physics, but I certainly hated physics classes in high school and college. I was all set to say, "this derby s***s" ... and then I got an idea.

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

A physics derby without equations?!?!?!

Blaspheme!!!

Hmmm... now how to do a design around Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

If it weren't for that no text rule:

The first rule of physics club is Force = Mass X Acceleration.
The second rule of physics club is for every force there is an opposite yet equal reaction.
The third rule of physics club is a body in motion or rest will tend to stay in motion or rest unless acted upon by an outside force.

jel2301

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jel2301
Lagbert wrote:A physics derby without equations?!?!?!

Blaspheme!!!

Hmmm... now how to do a design around Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

If it weren't for that no text rule:

The first rule of physics club is Force = Mass X Acceleration.
The second rule of physics club is for every force there is an opposite yet equal reaction.
The third rule of physics club is a body in motion or rest will tend to stay in motion or rest unless acted upon by an outside force.

Yeah, the lack of text for equations is disappointing. I'm a fan of equations, as nerdy as that may be, so I think I would have been happy to see how they would've been used in the designs.

Sergio37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sergio37

this is mine.
what do you think?

Gravity solved

cynic11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cynic11

Great topic, hopefully we see some cool stuff!!

RaveDroid

quality posts: 15 Private Messages RaveDroid

No-text rule again? The science-related shirts always come across so much better with some kind of wording on them, and I wanted to actually see a few good physics shirts...
Good luck everyone!

If you can read this, yourᅠbrowser'sᅠCompatibilityᅠsettings
areᅠconfiguredᅠcorrectly.ᅠᅠツ

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Yeah this would be a good one for text.

Sergio37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sergio37
tgentry wrote:Yeah this would be a good one for text.

yup

parrotworks

tgentry wrote:Yeah this would be a good one for text.

I'm a lover of text but disagree here. We'd be getting a lot of people plopping cool formulas on shirts. There's so much more to explore.

nevetnod

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nevetnod

Just a reminder.... woot already did this. :-)

I like celery.

tgentry

Staff

parrotworks wrote:I'm a lover of text but disagree here. We'd be getting a lot of people plopping cool formulas on shirts. There's so much more to explore.

Yeah, but simple things like + and - and incidental text would really come in handy in a theme like this. I agree there would be too many formulas slapped on a shirt though with full blown text.

vzfamily

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vzfamily
nevetnod wrote:Just a reminder.... woot already did this. :-)

That was before my time here at Woot. Also known as BW. Cute!!

BOChunter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BOChunter

please someone do schrodinger's cat or a play on the following joke:
Up in heaven, three great physicsts were playing hide and go seek: Newton, Pascal, and Einstein. It was Einsteins turn to seek, so Einstein closed his eyes and counted to 10 while pascal and newton went to hide. Pascal hid behind a tree, but Newton just stood there and drew a 1 meter by 1 meter box around him on the ground. when einstein was done counting, he opened his eys and said, "Newton, what are you doing? you're supposed to hide! you're out!" And Newton replied, "No, you're wrong, im not Newton, im Pascal! See, im one Newton per square meter! Pascal is out!"

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen

I've been trying to come up with a good shirt idea for Quantum Entanglement, mainly because it pissed off Einstein so much, but so far nothing.

Fun theme! :^)

sogj

quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj
BOChunter wrote:please someone do schrodinger's cat or a play on the following joke:
Up in heaven, three great physicsts were playing hide and go seek: Newton, Pascal, and Einstein. It was Einsteins turn to seek, so Einstein closed his eyes and counted to 10 while pascal and newton went to hide. Pascal hid behind a tree, but Newton just stood there and drew a 1 meter by 1 meter box around him on the ground. when einstein was done counting, he opened his eys and said, "Newton, what are you doing? you're supposed to hide! you're out!" And Newton replied, "No, you're wrong, im not Newton, im Pascal! See, im one Newton per square meter! Pascal is out!"

I really feel like an A in high school physics should award me the opportunity to understand this joke. Alas...

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

wizardofkitty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wizardofkitty

No Bunnies?!? Well there goes any references using rabbit fur. ;)

sogj

I went all day thinking it was Wednesday. Came to check on the Derby and, HEY! New Derby up! Now I know it's Thursday. Who needs a calendar?

Question: Does the "no text" rule apply to languages that are not English? I'm assuming yes, I just wondered if another, more experienced Wooter had any better knowledge than "I assume."

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
sogj wrote:I went all day thinking it was Wednesday. Came to check on the Derby and, HEY! New Derby up! Now I know it's Thursday. Who needs a calendar?

Question: Does the "no text" rule apply to languages that are not English? I'm assuming yes, I just wondered if another, more experienced Wooter had any better knowledge than "I assume."

No text means no text, regardless of the language.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

I have a couple of funny but simple ideas. I don't know why, but I'm feeling really comical these days. Silly silly silly. Laughter is the best medicine though, so maybe it's the universe telling me to perk up.

This should be fun, I know y'all smart people will come up with fantastic things. :D Sadly, learning Physics in school for me was like watching a monkey try to climb a greased pole. >_<;; I could not grasp it... But, I do remember a few of the basics ^^. (Thank God, or else I'd -really- suck at Wii Pool)

vzfamily

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vzfamily
bassanimation wrote:I have a couple of funny but simple ideas. I don't know why, but I'm feeling really comical these days. Silly silly silly. Laughter is the best medicine though, so maybe it's the universe telling me to perk up.

This should be fun, I know y'all smart people will come up with fantastic things. :D Sadly, learning Physics in school for me was like watching a monkey try to climb a greased pole. >_<;; I could not grasp it... But, I do remember a few of the basics ^^. (Thank God, or else I'd -really- suck at Wii Pool)

So THAT's why I suck at Wii Pool!!!

waitwhatnow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waitwhatnow
parrotworks wrote:I'm a lover of text but disagree here. We'd be getting a lot of people plopping cool formulas on shirts. There's so much more to explore.

they could have made a no text-ONLY design rule...

sogj

llandar wrote:No text means no text, regardless of the language.

What about symbols? +, -, etc?

sogj

waitwhatnow wrote:they could have made a no text-ONLY design rule...

Agreed.

parrotworks

bassanimation wrote:I'm feeling really comical these days.

Like burning giraffes? I'm scared.

jomichar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jomichar

Here's a quick rough draft I did. Poor worm. He'll never be able to make it back through his wormhole fast enough. Maybe he'll curse both Newton and Einstein on the way down?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Smacks across the face? All are welcome!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
waitwhatnow wrote:they could have made a no text-ONLY design rule...

what if someone had essentially a slogan shirt with a tiny, barely-visible drawing added? that is not text-only, but hardly follows the intent of the rule. where do you draw the line?

especially for a staff that wants to minimize arguing with people over "how much is too much", it's easier to draw the line at no text.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

I started thinking about the ocean and waves. My idea is a wave surfing itself. Here's my very rough initial sketch

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
sogj wrote:What about symbols? +, -, etc?

If you can find it on a keyboard, it counts as text according to Woot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus

I'm concerned that a lot of the usual derby winners don't know what physics are...

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

sogj

SailorButterfly wrote:If you can find it on a keyboard, it counts as text according to Woot.

Ah! That is incredibly helpful, thanks.

tgentry

Staff

kylemittskus wrote:I'm concerned that a lot of the usual derby winners don't know what physics are...

I'm just concerned that a lot of entries will have something that happens to be moving (which encompasses about 90% of all designs) and that will be enough to qualify it for this derby, with no actual emphasis on the physics itself. For instance a bird flying. Technically the bird is using physics to fly, but on the shirt it's just a bird flying. I imagine we'll get a lot of designs like that.