loveengrey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages loveengrey
jabberjaws13 wrote:A great joke wasted on the youth.

I am not being snarky, or trying to come across that way, but go rent (or steal from the internet) a copy of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".

Hopefully you will not just understand the joke, but come away laughing at one of the most incredibly funny movies of all time.

While you are at it, watch "Three Amigos" too. My hope is that someday a "Three Amigos" tee will surface, and I will wear it to shreds. I think TGentry could do a great clever take on it, or Walmazan could work his magic in making a wearable cartoon shirt.

But I am getting off topic. Go watch Monty Python!

This post has my approval. A lot of my friends (aged early 20's) see the DVD of Holy Grail at my house and they're like, "What the heck is this?". Seriously, if you haven't seen it, go watch it and be open minded about the humor.

Oh and walmazan doing a Three Amigo's tee would brighten my day so much. His style would fit it so perfectly.

thedeadhead1077

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thedeadhead1077

I am new to shirt.woot. I just bought my first shirt 2 weeks ago.

I feel that this is a great design and havent even thought whether I would or wouldn't wear the tshirt. I look at each individual design as a piece of art. I give this my vote solely on the artistic ability.

What I don't understand, why do people insist on tearing the artist a new one if they are not even going to vote on the shirt? Why waste your time to tell everyone that a design is horrible and how you would not wear the tshirt? If I dont like a design, I would not put the time in to write/comment about how I dislike it.

Spend your time in a positive way.

THIS DESIGN ROCKS!!!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

laurel861 wrote:"Science" did not vote out Pluto. Pluto IS still a planet. Only four percent of the IAU voted on this, and most are not planetary scientists. Their decision was immediately opposed in a formal petition by hundreds of professional astronomers led by Dr. Alan Stern, Principal Investigator of NASA’s New Horizons mission to Pluto. Stern and like-minded scientists favor a broader planet definition that includes any non-self-luminous spheroidal body in orbit around a star. The spherical part is important because objects become spherical when they attain a state known as hydrostatic equilibrium, meaning they are large enough for their own gravity to pull them into a round shape. This is a characteristic of planets and not of shapeless asteroids and Kuiper Belt Objects. Pluto meets this criterion and is therefore a planet. Under this definition, our solar system has 13 planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Ceres, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, Haumea, Makemake, and Eris.

I like the requirement that a planet should have cleared it's orbit in order to be classified a planet. Just calling something a planet based solely on it being rounded doesn't take in the bigger picture. An object like Ceres or Pluto is a part of a larger ring of objects in the same orbit, whereas the planets are not. That's a big distinction IMO. We break everything into categories (we don't call hawks and eagles the same thing, despite the fact they share common attributes), and these smaller objects are clearly different enough from the major planets to be given their own category. I think separating Planets and Dwarf Planets was a great idea as they are different types of bodies: they orbit as part of a larger whole. Also we've found hundreds of extrasolar planets so far. In the future that will turn into thousands. It's a good idea to have well defined categories to sort these objects into (even if we'll likely not be seeing any extrasolar dwarf planets any time soon, if ever).

Oh yeah, and take that Pluto!

krazyloon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krazyloon
Re: Wanted: Schroedinger's Cat

I'm so upset...this is a great idea.

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8
thedeadhead1077 wrote:I am new to shirt.woot. I just bought my first shirt 2 weeks ago.

I feel that this is a great design and havent even thought whether I would or wouldn't wear the tshirt. I look at each individual design as a piece of art. I give this my vote solely on the artistic ability.

What I don't understand, why do people insist on tearing the artist a new one if they are not even going to vote on the shirt? Why waste your time to tell everyone that a design is horrible and how you would not wear the tshirt? If I dont like a design, I would not put the time in to write/comment about how I dislike it.

Spend your time in a positive way.

THIS DESIGN ROCKS!!!

I think a good comment, positive or negative helps the artists to refine their work. But the commenter should keep it decent and honest.

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

PixelPants

quality posts: 69 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: Pulleys

Good to see this climbing up toward the fog so steadily bassanimation. I am suspicious that as well as votes you might be using a complex system of pulleys to get it up that high.

PixelPants

Re: Conservation of Demolition v2

This one definately made me smile czar21. I agree that rounding the corners would better on the shirt and soften the square shape.

loaba

quality posts: 31 Private Messages loaba

I like idea and the bomb detail is excellent, but I don't care for the placement.

loaba

I get it, therefore I like it. Colors are good, but is the design too big?

PixelPants

LOLcommunism wrote:By the way, I loved your cities entry <3

Thanks for that LOLcommunism. It's comforting to know older designs are gone but not forgotten.

bassanimation wrote:I grew up in a coastal city, so night time views of the ocean were a big part of my childhood memories.

tjost wrote:Very nice composition. The facial expression reminds me of the old silent man on the moon movie. Nice ripple effect of the water too. +1 from me

Thanks bassanimation and tjost. I really like to hear how the image resonates with others for specific reasons. Compliments on the design from two people who have proven their design credentials over and over is like being given extra votes.

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
loveengrey wrote:This post has my approval. A lot of my friends (aged early 20's) see the DVD of Holy Grail at my house and they're like, "What the heck is this?". Seriously, if you haven't seen it, go watch it and be open minded about the humor.

Oh and walmazan doing a Three Amigo's tee would brighten my day so much. His style would fit it so perfectly.

I was actually hoping it would pop up during the "Three" derby, but I didn't want to jinx it by talking about it in case someone was doing it.

I really want to see how Wences does "El Guapo"! =)

Happy Beer.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
PixelPants wrote:Good to see this climbing up toward the fog so steadily bassanimation. I am suspicious that as well as votes you might be using a complex system of pulleys to get it up that high.

Actually, I'm using a complex system of broken pulleys...this thing is seriously heavy.. If Im not careful I'll further irritate my butt sprain. (yes, according to my physical therapist I have a butt sprain..haaa!)

Thanks again everyone, your support has been really wonderful. Rodents everywhere will groom your hands and faces to show their appreciation. <3 Just watch out, they love to climb in your mouth...

Conchita

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Conchita
Re: Gravity Well

I like it, but it looks like a Brown Strawberry..

thedeadhead1077

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thedeadhead1077
chennai8 wrote:I think a good comment, positive or negative helps the artists to refine their work. But the commenter should keep it decent and honest.

I completely agree. Positive criticism is good for the artist. I don't agree with people saying or implying that a design "sucks" or is a "horrible" tshirt design.

I really dont care to read that someone wouldnt wear this/that tshirt. Understand?

shannng

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shannng
Re: Retro Physics

I think cranberry is an excellent color choice...I really hope this gets printed,it could be my first ever woot shirt if it does!!!

loaba

This design is simple and well done. I love the colors and the placement. I would buy this shirt if it wins. Oh yeah, and it's not black or grey!

apeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apeman
Re: Happy Magnet

Physics makes everybody happy!

stephwak

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stephwak

Staff

roberttravis wrote:Clearly number 4 is Justin Timberlake

;)

SHUT UP!

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
ruf1o wrote:http://www.geeklabel.com/lcd_tee.php

OK, wow, I should have known somebody on this site would actually have a solution. That's very cool!

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
Duddles86 wrote:Dems fightin' words! :-D My cat is ~8lbs at 3 yrs old but very small and slim. Its only a certain angles where you would notice it.

Jw... do you feed your cat? :-D

I have a friend who thinks I have the world's most high-maintenance cat, between his immunotherapy shots, his special diet, all the pills he's on... but he's paid me back with over 16 years of constant devotion. And shedding on everything I own, but that's not really payback. I can't buy creme Woot shirts because he's black... only dark colors for me!

specsmachine

quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine
jabberjaws13 wrote:I was actually hoping it would pop up during the "Three" derby...

It did: here and here.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)

Wow! Thank you voters for all your nice comments and support. You are the best!

jezzarisky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jezzarisky
Re: Physics of a Falling Cat (resub)

I wish this were on a different colored shirt. I would totally buy it then. I just don't go for cream, or grey matter(tehe).

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.
--Mahatma Gandhi

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
thedeadhead1077 wrote:I completely agree. Positive criticism is good for the artist. I don't agree with people saying or implying that a design "sucks" or is a "horrible" tshirt design.

I really dont care to read that someone wouldnt wear this/that tshirt. Understand?

If a design sucks, I consider saying so to be an incredibly helpful commentary.

Negative criticism is 100x more important than positive. Because that's the stuff you need to work on. If you want to feel good about stuff, don't show it to anyone but sycophants. Otherwise, accept the fact that some people are going to hate it.

Yourkiddingright

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Yourkiddingright
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)

Sorry man, I like this shirt but similar shirts exist.

phahnleat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phahnleat
Re: Triple Point

Wow, a lot of are people seeing weird things in this. Maybe I should have made a triple point graph of a non-water-like substance instead. In that case, the line between solid and liquid (purple and aqua) would point to the top right corner, rather than the top left.

tgentry

Staff

Yourkiddingright wrote:Sorry man, I like this shirt but similar shirts exist.

Other than both being Monty Python references they have zero in common. This one shows two failed ways a swallow might carry a coconut and then one way that's successful. The other one is a coconut next to a swallow with a bunch of text. They have a reference in common, but nothing else on a conceptual level.

joyelle421

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joyelle421
Re: Nuclear Physics

BEST.SHIRT.EVER.
that is all

Yourkiddingright

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Yourkiddingright
tgentry wrote:Other than both being Monty Python references they have zero in common. This one shows two failed ways a swallow might carry a coconut and then one way that's successful. The other one is a coconut next to a swallow with a bunch of text. They have a reference in common, but nothing else on a conceptual level.

There's three links there, the first one is the closest to this design, it even uses the same text that this one uses for a shirt. The back image is the same concept with 2 birds string and a coconut. I'll post the images for quicker ref

Not saying he stole it, I think Artulo's ethics are above that, just that he referenced python and it's been done

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
tgentry wrote:Other than both being Monty Python references they have zero in common. This one shows two failed ways a swallow might carry a coconut and then one way that's successful. The other one is a coconut next to a swallow with a bunch of text. They have a reference in common, but nothing else on a conceptual level.

there are three different links to three different shirts, two of which have swallows carrying a coconut with a string. but i still agree with tgentry, all of these designs are taking their idea from a famous movie, so there arn't gonna be many ways to do it, this shirt does the same idea differently. What i find interesting is that it took this long for someone else to find those shirts and post them here, usually there are huge uproars about this sort of thing. ;)

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
AdderXYU wrote:If a design sucks, I consider saying so to be an incredibly helpful commentary.

Negative criticism is 100x more important than positive. Because that's the stuff you need to work on. If you want to feel good about stuff, don't show it to anyone but sycophants. Otherwise, accept the fact that some people are going to hate it.

im not trying to start anything with you adder, i just wanted to say i think the person said POSITIVE CRITICISM which is still criticism, just said in a nice helpful way so that the artist would be more apt to listen to it. If you berate the artist and tell them that their shirt "sucks" im pretty positive that they won't be taking any advice you give. Positive criticism still mentions the stuff the artist needs to work on, they just do it in a polite respectful manner. so there is no real benifit to being negative. the only difference between negative and positive criticism is that you are mean while saying one and nice while saying the other. and you are far more likely to catch flys with honey than with vinegar.

tgentry

Staff

Yourkiddingright wrote:

Not saying he stole it, I think Artulo's ethics are above that, just that he referenced python and it's been done

It's still different enough from the versions posted above (I didn't notice that it was three links). It's basically a selection chart showing three different attempts at a swallow carrying a coconut, two of which failed, one of which succeeded. Those other versions might have a partial element there, but not the actual concept. In addition it visually encompasses the debate within the movie, which the others don't. His version hasn't been done (as far as I know), which is why it won't get rejected. Again, same reference, different concepts.

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
shannng wrote:I think cranberry is an excellent color choice...I really hope this gets printed,it could be my first ever woot shirt if it does!!!

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. There are some nice ones on the reckoning right now, you should check them out.

tgentry

Staff

megsck wrote:there are three different links to three different shirts, two of which have swallows carrying a coconut with a string. but i still agree with tgentry, all of these designs are taking their idea from a famous movie, so there arn't gonna be many ways to do it, this shirt does the same idea differently. What i find interesting is that it took this long for someone else to find those shirts and post them here, usually there are huge uproars about this sort of thing. ;)

I imagine a lot of people probably DID scour the net to find this exact shirt, but didn't think anything was close enough to warrant posting. I'm sure there are a lot of Monty Python designs out there, including plenty of swallow/coconut themed ones. Like you said, it's all in how it's presented and what unique angle is taken on it.

emeraldchickpea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages emeraldchickpea
jasneko wrote:HUGE thanks to everyone in the pre-derby thread for all your help!!

You are very welcome. And contrary to what I usually do, this is the only design I'm voting for this week!

LiliaRose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LiliaRose

So very sweet, Artie. Love it. -- Lil

alihart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alihart
Re: Phive Phamous Physibots

Love it!
where can I buy one?

LOLcommunism

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LOLcommunism
jezzarisky wrote:I wish this were on a different colored shirt. I would totally buy it then. I just don't go for cream, or grey matter(tehe).

Goshdarnit! I picked such a horrible color, but it looked the best with the cats ; 3;

Maybe I shoulda made the cats brown or something, even white or black cats.

Goshdarnit. Thank you for the input though! :D

I'll do better next time ; 3;, i'll never make this creamy mistake again.

Would you kindly...

LOLcommunism

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LOLcommunism
Yourkiddingright wrote:There's three links there, the first one is the closest to this design, it even uses the same text that this one uses for a shirt. The back image is the same concept with 2 birds string and a coconut. I'll post the images for quicker ref

Oh snap.

Would you kindly...

silverstar1993

quality posts: 0 Private Messages silverstar1993
Re: The Black Hole

You must add "NOM NOM NOM"!!!!!!! Tis necessary for me to want this shirt! Not that you need the votes... but you know...