odysseyroc


quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc

I'm not sure if there's already a thread like this buried in the forums, but I thought it might be cool to have someplace to show off any ideas or works in progress. So let's see what you got, from the roughest thumbnail sketch, to a piece you just finished, post them here.

Here's an idea that popped into my head tonight



and a character that I doodled a few days ago





Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

great stuff. and great idea.
sketch.

odysseyroc


quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc

I really like that layout. Are you going to finish it, or is it just a sketch?





Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
odysseyroc wrote:I really like that layout. Are you going to finish it, or is it just a sketch?



I think it's a slow developing idea. I love crows, and have 2 or 3 different sketches kind of floating around my sketchbook right now. This one, with the fat crow, is hard to see as being very successful as a shirt design.

on the other hand, I think this is a good concept for the shirt medium:


I always felt like the raven might be lamenting Lenore as much or more than the poet/alchemist.
I've been toying with this idea for a long time. I think it needs some background, not just ravens. maybe being on top of a brick wall. not sure. Backgrounds are my nemesis (other than you-know-who ;^) ). I always have trouble with that part of finishing off a design.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

Lots of tongue in your sketches. :D

odysseyroc


quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
Josephus wrote:Lots of tongue in your sketches. :D



heh. Here's what I'm working on right now, I've replaced the tongues with arrows.





odysseyroc


quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
Josephus wrote:I think it's a slow developing idea. I love crows, and have 2 or 3 different sketches kind of floating around my sketchbook right now. This one, with the fat crow, is hard to see as being very successful as a shirt design.

on the other hand, I think this is a good concept for the shirt medium:


I always felt like the raven might be lamenting Lenore as much or more than the poet/alchemist.
I've been toying with this idea for a long time. I think it needs some background, not just ravens. maybe being on top of a brick wall. not sure. Backgrounds are my nemesis (other than you-know-who ;^) ). I always have trouble with that part of finishing off a design.




I really like that. I do think it needs something in the BG, but I'm terrible at backgrounds too. Maybe just some abstract shapes behind it, or something would work?





Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
odysseyroc wrote:heh. Here's what I'm working on right now, I've replaced the tongues with arrows.



I like the extruded look. and the crown looks terrific. you named it king of kings, but I read it as king of wings. which is it?

odysseyroc


quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
Josephus wrote:I like the extruded look. and the crown looks terrific. you named it king of kings, but I read it as king of wings. which is it?



King of Kings





Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
odysseyroc wrote:King of Kings



heh. I thought it was a followup to the Taco Logo.

//dodges lightning from above.

odysseyroc


quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
Josephus wrote:heh. I thought it was a followup to the Taco Logo.

//dodges lightning from above.



Graffiti lettering is just like that. Even really basic letters can be hard to recognize sometimes. I couldn't resist throwing a little color on the first "king" between coloring comic book pages.





bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Well, time has escaped me in the worst way this weekend, so my idea for the cryptocritter derby will be too late. But I thought I'd post a progress image of him here for fun. I'll continue working on him and figure out if there's a venue for him later. If not he'll make a nice little postcard or something.

Chupacabris Commutis

I post progress things often via Twitpic for those who mill about on the Twitter. Enjoy!

Also, thanks for starting this thread, Odyssey!

odysseyroc


quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
bassanimation wrote:Well, time has escaped me in the worst way this weekend, so my idea for the cryptocritter derby will be too late. But I thought I'd post a progress image of him here for fun. I'll continue working on him and figure out if there's a venue for him later. If not he'll make a nice little postcard or something.

Chupacabris Commutis

I post progress things often via Twitpic for those who mill about on the Twitter. Enjoy!

Also, thanks for starting this thread, Odyssey!



That's coming along nicely. I really dig your style. Thanks for posting that here, hopefully we can keep this thread alive





Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
bassanimation wrote:Well, time has escaped me in the worst way this weekend, so my idea for the cryptocritter derby will be too late. But I thought I'd post a progress image of him here for fun. I'll continue working on him and figure out if there's a venue for him later. If not he'll make a nice little postcard or something.

Chupacabris Commutis

I post progress things often via Twitpic for those who mill about on the Twitter. Enjoy!

Also, thanks for starting this thread, Odyssey!



I think I'd lose the straw. first, people don't drink coffee with a straw, second, with all those teeth showing, it couldn't suck through a straw anyway, and third, uh, some other reason that I can't remember, from just a few seconds ago!

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Josephus wrote:I think I'd lose the straw. first, people don't drink coffee with a straw, second, with all those teeth showing, it couldn't suck through a straw anyway, and third, uh, some other reason that I can't remember, from just a few seconds ago!



True true. I think I made the straw to get across the whole 'sucking' thing, but when I take it away it looks better. Thanks for the catch! I'll update the image again this evening. I've made a good deal of progress on it.

I'm thinking of changing the background element on it though and making it more of a 'brand' shirt than a critter shirt. ^^

fyrefalkon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fyrefalkon

Here's one of my WIP's that I started months ago.

When I (finally) finish it I plan on taking out the outline so it looks like a painting or something. Tell me what you think

odysseyroc


quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc

I'm thinking of having this printed in silver and white.







Leahbh


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
odysseyroc wrote:I'm thinking of having this printed in silver and white.





I really like it. What is it for?

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Leahbh wrote:I really like it. What is it for?



uh... wearing?

odysseyroc


quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
Leahbh wrote:I really like it. What is it for?



Just something that I wanted to design, so I can make my own shirts. I'll put it on in my storenvy shop once it's printed.





odysseyroc


quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
fyrefalkon wrote:Here's one of my WIP's that I started months ago.

When I (finally) finish it I plan on taking out the outline so it looks like a painting or something. Tell me what you think



You probably should have been working on top of the outline if you wanted it to look like a painting. Still, I'm interested in seeing where you go with it. Post progress pics when you have something to show.





Leahbh


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
no1 wrote:uh... wearing?



don't be a jerk.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
odysseyroc wrote:I'm thinking of having this printed in silver and white.

wall tat



Tell me, this seems to be a religious reference, King of Kings. was that your intent, or is it just the sort of thing intentionally take out of context that the graffiti artists like to use?

odysseyroc


quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
Josephus wrote:Tell me, this seems to be a religious reference, King of Kings. was that your intent, or is it just the sort of thing intentionally take out of context that the graffiti artists like to use?



Oddly, it's a little bit of each (like most things graffiti). I was talking to my wife and somehow we got onto the subject of doing sort of positve/God related messages but in a way that wasn't corny.

In graffiti, being a king always meant that you were the best, or up in the most places or whatever. It also translates into the other elements of Hip-Hop.





no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Leahbh wrote:don't be a jerk.



ouch. jokes apparently are not welcome here!

PixelPants


quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
bassanimation wrote:
I'm thinking of changing the background element on it though and making it more of a 'brand' shirt than a critter shirt. ^^



I'm glad you didn't let this one go bassanimation. For one, it was a neat idea and drawing and secendly I always like seeing progress shots to get an idea of how others work.

PixelPants


quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
odysseyroc wrote:I was talking to my wife and somehow we got onto the subject of doing sort of positve/God related messages but in a way that wasn't corny.



A noble idea odysseyroc. I've seen too many bible based designs that try too hard or simply parody other brands and pop culture references in less than subtle (or original) ways.

fyrefalkon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fyrefalkon

Thanks for the input odysseyroc. I'll be sure to post some more pics when I'm done

odysseyroc


quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc

I woke up with an idea yesterday and blew off my pressing deadlines to get this done.





clarinerd


quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd
odysseyroc wrote:I woke up with an idea yesterday and blew off my pressing deadlines to get this done.



Oh man, I like this. I'm hoping the next derby theme is tacos. What a tasty derby that would be.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
odysseyroc wrote:I woke up with an idea yesterday and blew off my pressing deadlines to get this done.



i'm not sure i want to think about what fiery gases rocketing out the rear implies.

odysseyroc


quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
no1 wrote:i'm not sure i want to think about what fiery gases rocketing out the rear implies.



Oh, you know exactly what it means.





odysseyroc


quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc

Here's some hand lettering for another design that I'm working on.





megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck

two bits of randomness im working on at the moment. i just started inking wonder woman, im hopeing to have it done by this weekend so i can start on the monsters, im pretty excited about getting them done in time for halloween.



odysseyroc


quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
megsck wrote:two bits of randomness im working on at the moment. i just started inking wonder woman, im hopeing to have it done by this weekend so i can start on the monsters, im pretty excited about getting them done in time for halloween.





otterific work. I really love the monsters.





paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
odysseyroc wrote:otterific work. I really love the monsters.



Ditto. The shape of the Lagoon Creature's head is throwing me a bit, but loving the clean look.

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
paigeg wrote:Ditto. The shape of the Lagoon Creature's head is throwing me a bit, but loving the clean look.



thanks odysseyroc & paigeg

the lagoon creature is the one i choose to look the least like the original, only because the original makes me laugh every time i see it =) but maybe ill mess around with his proportions a bit more.

im drawing the wonder woman cause i ran into this site the other day, enjoy. =D

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
megsck wrote:two bits of randomness im working on at the moment. i just started inking wonder woman, im hopeing to have it done by this weekend so i can start on the monsters, im pretty excited about getting them done in time for halloween.





LOL, these are both amazing! Great, GREAT work, Megs! I hope to see these up for purchase/vote/preorder soon!

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck

made some changes to lagoon creature, tried to tie him to the original more, better or worse?

odysseyroc


quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
megsck wrote:made some changes to lagoon creature, tried to tie him to the original more, better or worse?



I like the new one better.