sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS

Megsck, are you thinking of doing all of the monsters as a halloween shirt? It would be wicked cool to have all 4 monsters in a 2x2 taking up the whole front of a dark shirt.
Even better if it could be glow in the dark.

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck

imsochady - i like the design! its very cute and overall flows well, the only two things that bother me are the beak (exactly what paigeg said) maybe just bring it to a slight proint on the bottom so it reads more beak than O. the second is that the little penguin on the bottom left painting the D throws off the balance for me, i would say either take him out or add another penguin under the U somewhere to balance it out again. right now my eye gets pulled to that penguin right away but if you balanced it out my eyes would flow easier over the whole design. hope that helps! =)

paigeg - i was thinking it would be cool if i could do the yellow in glow in the dark, that would be fantastic!

odysseyroc - that looks great! i will mess with it tonight when i get home and try and knock it out before i go to bed. thanks again! you are awwsome!

EDIT: So now that they are having the Halloween Derby NOW, im not gonna have time to change the lighting on them for the derby, but i will definately change them after and maybe if they dont win i can sub again for another day =)

sTyLeS - i was thinking of doing them all separate and huge on the shirt, but I can also do one of them all together in 2x2, that would be really cool. although i would definitely have to adjust colors, but that shouldn't be too hard, so far i've only been using four colors on each. I will definitely suggest the glow in the dark when i submit, it would be awwsome to get a glow in the dark print! although i guess im getting ahead of myself, it would just be awwsome to get a print at all, haha.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

Drakxx stepped in to help with my Chainsaw BBQ design. Here's a sneak peak, character by Drak, lettering by me.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
odysseyroc wrote:Drakxx stepped in to help with my Chainsaw BBQ design. Here's a sneak peak, character by Drak, lettering by me.

This is hysterical. And wow - you two should collab for a Derby - you complement each other.

odysseyroc

paigeg wrote:This is hysterical. And wow - you two should collab for a Derby - you complement each other.

Thanks Paige. Here's the colored version.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

odysseyroc wrote:Thanks Paige. Here's the colored version.

Dear gods of everything everywhere: I WANT THIS SHIRT.

megsck

odysseyroc wrote:Thanks Paige. Here's the colored version.

bad.ass.

odysseyroc

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I've been wanting to color Drakxxx for a while, so this was pretty great for me. I'd wear this shirt every day, if we can find a home for him.

I know we're both fans of 70's exploitation/grindhouse cinema, so hopefully I can get him to work on some other cool designs with me.

paigeg

odysseyroc wrote:Thanks for the nice comments guys. I've been wanting to color Drakxxx for a while, so this was pretty great for me. I'd wear this shirt every day, if we can find a home for him.

I know we're both fans of 70's exploitation/grindhouse cinema, so hopefully I can get him to work on some other cool designs with me.

Hear, hear. I was really hoping for some grindhouse action for Hallowoot.
This rocks, right down to the bloodspatter on his ear. And that inane look on his face that makes me think he's the grownup, twisted version of that ANNOYING little pig that goes 'Wee! Wee' all the way home in those bleedin' GEICO commercials.

paigeg

OK, not a sketch or WIP yet, though I do have some really rough concept and position sketches done.
Now that we've done the fall derby (again), we're going to inevitably get winter - whether it's a winter derby or just the SPOOKTACULAR! snow. So I was thinking of a transition to winter theme and got all classical on my own ass. I came up with Persephone returning to Hades for the winter. Almost every image of Persephone I've seen has her trying to get away from Hades, often yearning toward her mother, Demeter. I wanted to change it up a bit, but it's proving a challenge.
So far, I have a rough concept of a cliff, Persephone having gone over the edge. She's held up by a (root? vine?) wrapped around her wrist. Whatever it is comes from a tree atop the clif - Demeter in disguise.
Meanwhile, Persephone's position and body language make it clear she's trying to get down, not up. At the bottom, coming out of the ground is an arm that begins as male/human but, touched by the light transitions to skeletal. Persephone is reaching for it.
It all seemed like a great idea in my head, but as I'm sketching, I'm thinking I'll need to lose the cliff. I love the thought of how it would position everything on the shirt, but it's posing huge challenges to making everything proportional and of a size decent enough to be visible.
When I get a chance, and maybe a few more roughs done, I'll post a link. Meanwhile, any thoughts, comments?

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
paigeg wrote:Hear, hear. I was really hoping for some grindhouse action for Hallowoot.
This rocks, right down to the bloodspatter on his ear. And that inane look on his face that makes me think he's the grownup, twisted version of that ANNOYING little pig that goes 'Wee! Wee' all the way home in those bleedin' GEICO commercials.

That commercial cracks me up. I pretty much don't watch any live tv, so I only watch commercials during sports, but I do like that commercial.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
paigeg wrote:It all seemed like a great idea in my head, but as I'm sketching, I'm thinking I'll need to lose the cliff. I love the thought of how it would position everything on the shirt, but it's posing huge challenges to making everything proportional and of a size decent enough to be visible.
When I get a chance, and maybe a few more roughs done, I'll post a link. Meanwhile, any thoughts, comments?

uh, it's a little hard to comment on something i can't see except what's in my head, but i'll offer a suggestion: mabe shifting the perspective will help you to position all the elements at a reasonable size within the confines of a shirt. i am guessing you are visualizing this as a side view, with demeter at the top, persephone in the middle and an arm at the bottom. shift perspective to a ground (or underground) level view, looking up along the skeleton arm at persephone, demeter behind her at the top of the cliff. then you can overlap the elements and they have more room to be bigger.

paigeg

no1 wrote:uh, it's a little hard to comment on something i can't see except what's in my head, but i'll offer a suggestion: mabe shifting the perspective will help you to position all the elements at a reasonable size within the confines of a shirt. i am guessing you are visualizing this as a side view, with demeter at the top, persephone in the middle and an arm at the bottom. shift perspective to a ground (or underground) level view, looking up along the skeleton arm at persephone, demeter behind her at the top of the cliff. then you can overlap the elements and they have more room to be bigger.

Oh my, that's intriguing, though then we'd be looking up Persephone's skirt. It's a thought, tho. I'm sure I could overcome that obstacle, or even make it work for me. And yes, you're right that I was looking at the idea front-on. I finally have my ideas uploaded to photobucket here for the original idea, here for the Persephone figure/posture and here for the arm. I haven't decided whether Demeter should really be a tree (too obscure?) or a figure.
Again, ANY input is welcome.

no1

paigeg wrote:Oh my, that's intriguing, though then we'd be looking up Persephone's skirt.

HECK YEEAAAAHHH!

or if you prefer, you could be in a helicopter looking from behind demeter down the cliff.

no1

paigeg wrote:Again, ANY input is welcome.

oh, you're going to regret saying that, yes you will.

another suggestion for the pit-level view: demeter is holding onto persephone's ankle, as she is upside down.

paigeg

no1 wrote:oh, you're going to regret saying that, yes you will.

another suggestion for the pit-level view: demeter is holding onto persephone's ankle, as she is upside down.

Ooooooooo, and the ante gets UPped! ;)

paigeg

OK, more. A balletic pose? Or a more dynamic pose I can give rent clothing and drama?
Classic, or edgy?

paigeg

And, the BIG question as I go through this. Would anyone give a rat's ass? I mean, in the Woot Shirt world? Not that woot-acceptance is a must (WHY would any of us be here!). But it'd be nice to know it would transfer to the shirt medium. Honestly.

noblehappenstance

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noblehappenstance

I couldn't come up with any ideas I was too excited for in the derby for tomorrow, so I worked up something random instead. It maybe has some message about standing up for what you believe it or yada yada, maybe no message at all. Any thoughts on it in general by chance? I'd say it will live filed away on my computer for a while until theres a good reason to pull it out.

Rake This![/url]

odysseyroc

noblehappenstance wrote:I couldn't come up with any ideas I was too excited for in the derby for tomorrow, so I worked up something random instead. It maybe has some message about standing up for what you believe it or yada yada, maybe no message at all. Any thoughts on it in general by chance? I'd say it will live filed away on my computer for a while until theres a good reason to pull it out.

I like the way you drew the domino characters, but as it is now, the overall shape of the design is kind of wonky.

kevlar51

quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51
noblehappenstance wrote:I couldn't come up with any ideas I was too excited for in the derby for tomorrow, so I worked up something random instead. It maybe has some message about standing up for what you believe it or yada yada, maybe no message at all. Any thoughts on it in general by chance? I'd say it will live filed away on my computer for a while until theres a good reason to pull it out.

Fun design. I'd get rid of the black lines and rely on the dominoes' color. As is, the perspective looks off on the one in the back, but in reality, it's line is just too thick.

noblehappenstance

Thanks for your suggestions, I agree I shouldn't rely on outlines as a crutch as often as I do, so maybe I'll see what I can do without them. I'll revamp the design when I get some free time, and Oddyseyroc, do you have any specific reasons why the design looks weird or how I could make it smoother?

Rake This![/url]

kevlar51

quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51
noblehappenstance wrote:Thanks for your suggestions, I agree I shouldn't rely on outlines as a crutch as often as I do, so maybe I'll see what I can do without them. I'll revamp the design when I get some free time, and Oddyseyroc, do you have any specific reasons why the design looks weird or how I could make it smoother?

It's fine to keep outlines, it's just unnecessary here since the dominoes are so close in color.

odysseyroc

Something I'm working on (while I'm working through soul crushing "holiday" deadlines)

paigeg

noblehappenstance wrote:Thanks for your suggestions, I agree I shouldn't rely on outlines as a crutch as often as I do, so maybe I'll see what I can do without them. I'll revamp the design when I get some free time, and Oddyseyroc, do you have any specific reasons why the design looks weird or how I could make it smoother?

While Odroc noodles, I can say the outlines are actully OK with me, but the weight/perspective is off. The fat lines toward the back kill the perspective and bring the back of the design forward, elminating the depth.
Placement on the shirt is a different story. You may find as you refine the illo, that it looks better higher, smaller, whatever. I think it's a bit low, as-is.

megsck

odysseyroc wrote:Something I'm working on (while I'm working through soul crushing "holiday" deadlines)

i love this.

odysseyroc

megsck wrote:i love this.

Thanks, I'm pretty stoked with how it came out.

odysseyroc

I think the overall shape of it doesn't work because of the lack of negative space. It's all just an oddly shaped clump.

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS

I think a little foreshortening on the dots is in order as well. The ones in the back are viewed at an angle but their dots are still perfect circles.

noblehappenstance

sTyLeS wrote:I think a little foreshortening on the dots is in order as well. The ones in the back are viewed at an angle but their dots are still perfect circles.

Thanks for the continued dialogue everyone, these are all fine suggestions and I can hopefully take some more time on this one over the holiday!

Rake This![/url]

paigeg

Hey, gang. I'm hoping folks will take a few minutes to look at an idea I'm working on and give me some feedback. I'm teaching myself to halftone, but I'm also unsure as to when to halftone. When is halftoning preferable over hand-shading, as in this case? Is it a printability issue?
Here you'll find four samples of a design featuring cardinals. They're two different versions (one more detailed), and each version is there in it's original hand-shaded state, and with halftones in place of most of the hand-work. I'd appreciate feeback on what looks better, would print better - whatever.
Oh, and does the thing just plain suck?

spilzer

quality posts: 121 Private Messages spilzer
odysseyroc wrote:Something I'm working on (while I'm working through soul crushing "holiday" deadlines)

What, no cheese?

odysseyroc

spilzer wrote:What, no cheese?

This is what a proper taco should look like

odysseyroc

paigeg wrote:Hey, gang. I'm hoping folks will take a few minutes to look at an idea I'm working on and give me some feedback. I'm teaching myself to halftone, but I'm also unsure as to when to halftone. When is halftoning preferable over hand-shading, as in this case? Is it a printability issue?
Here you'll find four samples of a design featuring cardinals. They're two different versions (one more detailed), and each version is there in it's original hand-shaded state, and with halftones in place of most of the hand-work. I'd appreciate feeback on what looks better, would print better - whatever.
Oh, and does the thing just plain suck?

Hand shading when you can get away with it. Save the halftones for when you really want to do something that you can't achieve with the pencil tool. I do like the halftones in that design, they are pretty big, but It gives it a sort of zip-a-tone feel, imo.

megsck

been working on and off this one for awhile, it was inspired by the cartoon the littles. i was actually waiting for a derby to sub it to but nothing has come up yet, i dont know how i want to color it, any ideas? also i feel like it needs something in the bg but i have no idea what, maybe a moon behind the owl, some clouds? im hitting a wall with this one.

here are some details.

PixelPants

quality posts: 70 Private Messages PixelPants
megsck wrote:i dont know how i want to color it, any ideas? also i feel like it needs something in the bg but i have no idea what, maybe a moon behind the owl, some clouds? im hitting a wall with this one.

Nice linework megsck. Agreed, an atmospheric night sky with banks of clouds and moon is a good option for context. The only other thought I had was silhouettes of trees to give size comparison for the animals and help lead your eye between the two centres of interest.

paigeg

megsck wrote:been working on and off this one for awhile, it was inspired by the cartoon the littles. i was actually waiting for a derby to sub it to but nothing has come up yet, i dont know how i want to color it, any ideas? also i feel like it needs something in the bg but i have no idea what, maybe a moon behind the owl, some clouds? im hitting a wall with this one.

here are some details.

Yeah, a moon behind the owl, and or stars, some clouds. But there needs to be a better size representation, too. Right now, this could be a normal-sized person and giant critters. But grass (silhouette?) would indicate a teeny person an normal sized critters. I think it needs grass.

megsck

thanks for the great suggestions, heres a quick mock up i did using them! dont know if im in love with the colors yet, just kinda threw them together.

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
megsck wrote:thanks for the great suggestions, heres a quick mock up i did using them! dont know if im in love with the colors yet, just kinda threw them together.

Hmm, I actually think you should go without the tree silhouettes and make the grass look more grass-like. It still looks more like normal sized person and giant animals, with the grass right next to them more like a large plant (if that makes sense).

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
megsck wrote:thanks for the great suggestions, heres a quick mock up i did using them! dont know if im in love with the colors yet, just kinda threw them together.

I am curious to see what it looks like with a navy shirt and a light blue back ground. The ol' switcheroo... Also, the straight edges on the side seem a little unsettling. You may already have this planned, but for the final, I would have it fade or have a cloud-like curved edge.