chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic

I call this one Loyal Followers. Any feedback or comments on the design or presentation (2 page flash presentation FYI)?

kevlar51

quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
chumpmagic wrote:I call this one Loyal Followers. Any feedback or comments on the design or presentation (2 page flash presentation FYI)?

I love the design and your style, but the coloring is throwing me off. It's hard to make out what's what at first glance without staring at it for more than a few seconds. I'm not entirely sure how to fix it either besides just trying mixing and matching different options.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
kevlar51 wrote:I love the design and your style, but the coloring is throwing me off. It's hard to make out what's what at first glance without staring at it for more than a few seconds. I'm not entirely sure how to fix it either besides just trying mixing and matching different options.

I don't agree completely. The colors are grand. But the saturation level could come down a notch or two, particularly on the orange shades.
This is uber-cute. I think I love the little kitty-ladies' boobies. Not in a weird way. It's just so, well... precious!
/edit to add - I've been staring for a while. The comp resembling a crown is great. My only one niggling blammoe is that there is no indication of the spire behind the (theoretically transparent) water of the king's bowl. I'm not sure why that pulls my eye, but once seen....

paigeg

paigeg wrote:Hey, gang. I'm hoping folks will take a few minutes to look at an idea I'm working on and give me some feedback. I'm teaching myself to halftone, but I'm also unsure as to when to halftone. When is halftoning preferable over hand-shading, as in this case? Is it a printability issue?
Here you'll find four samples of a design featuring cardinals. They're two different versions (one more detailed), and each version is there in it's original hand-shaded state, and with halftones in place of most of the hand-work. I'd appreciate feeback on what looks better, would print better - whatever.
Oh, and does the thing just plain suck?

Roc weighed in. Anyone else? I agree, my heart says hand-shading. But in retrospect, I have no cohesive shading style here. I also agree the halftoning gives in (to me) a greeting-card look that's kindof attractive.
Any other thoughts? I'm thinking of subbing as a daily soon, to give time for Valentine's Day.

kevlar51

paigeg wrote:Roc weighed in. Anyone else? I agree, my heart says hand-shading. But in retrospect, I have no cohesive shading style here. I also agree the halftoning gives in (to me) a greeting-card look that's kindof attractive.
Any other thoughts? I'm thinking of subbing as a daily soon, to give time for Valentine's Day.

Personally, I think the hand shading is much classier.

chumpmagic

Thanks for the comments you two. When I have time I will pop out some alt versions with your suggestions.

paigeg wrote:Roc weighed in. Anyone else? I agree, my heart says hand-shading. But in retrospect, I have no cohesive shading style here. I also agree the halftoning gives in (to me) a greeting-card look that's kindof attractive.

Personally, I avoid halftones if possible, but sometimes they are needed: transitioning one color to another (avoiding a hard edge), for environments to add atmospheric perspective, to get an "extra" color, et cetera...

I don't think your design needs halftones. That is just my opinion. However, since you want to learn how to use them, I think there are plenty of good areas to use them (aside from what you already have); The belly of the birds (put a little red on the yellow bird, and a little yellow on the red bird for some balance), The bird's tails (same deal as the bellies, or even try a subtle halftone of the blue from the background to show depth), and the edge of the heart to give it more of a soft, fluffy sky feel.

I like the design. My only criticism is the random blackness around the heart. It seems awkward and undesirable. I would delete it and let the shirt color fill in those areas (select that black rim>select the layer the blue color is on> hit delete or clear> erase the black) or replace it with the white, or halftone it and soften the edges as I stated above... hope that made sense.

Also, I would avoid pure black in general. Off black with a little color in it is the way to go imo. I would change it to a really dark, dark brown.

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 11 Private Messages SeedUvPain

Hey all. I just came on here to start a similar thread and saw this one, so I thought I'd jump in. This is a Daily idea I'm working on and just wanted to get feedback before I submit. I'm still trying to decide on the one ink color and which shirt color it should live on, but for now I'm wondering if the idea is apparent or does it need some tweaks? Thanks for looking!

It's called "Evil Bike Is Evil"

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
SeedUvPain wrote:Hey all. I just came on here to start a similar thread and saw this one, so I thought I'd jump in. This is a Daily idea I'm working on and just wanted to get feedback before I submit. I'm still trying to decide on the one ink color and which shirt color it should live on, but for now I'm wondering if the idea is apparent or does it need some tweaks? Thanks for looking!

It's called "Evil Bike Is Evil"

I really like this drawing. It'd like to see this in black ink on a light colored shirt. The inking is really nice and I'd hate to lose that, especially after seeing this on black over white.

SeedUvPain

odysseyroc wrote:I really like this drawing. It'd like to see this in black ink on a light colored shirt. The inking is really nice and I'd hate to lose that, especially after seeing this on black over white.

Thanks! We seem to be thinking along the same lines. Here are a few options, though not all of course

odysseyroc

SeedUvPain wrote:Thanks! We seem to be thinking along the same lines. Here are a few options, though not all of course

I like the creme shirt, but I'd like to see it with a darker brown ink.

SeedUvPain

odysseyroc wrote:I like the creme shirt, but I'd like to see it with a darker brown ink.

Agreed. Submitted with the Dark Brown on Creme. Thanks for the help OdRoc. I really appreciate it

odysseyroc

good luck seed!

paigeg

chumpmagic wrote:Thanks for the comments you two. When I have time I will pop out some alt versions with your suggestions.

Personally, I avoid halftones if possible, but sometimes they are needed: transitioning one color to another (avoiding a hard edge), for environments to add atmospheric perspective, to get an "extra" color, et cetera...

I don't think your design needs halftones. That is just my opinion. However, since you want to learn how to use them, I think there are plenty of good areas to use them (aside from what you already have); The belly of the birds (put a little red on the yellow bird, and a little yellow on the red bird for some balance), The bird's tails (same deal as the bellies, or even try a subtle halftone of the blue from the background to show depth), and the edge of the heart to give it more of a soft, fluffy sky feel.

I like the design. My only criticism is the random blackness around the heart. It seems awkward and undesirable. I would delete it and let the shirt color fill in those areas (select that black rim>select the layer the blue color is on> hit delete or clear> erase the black) or replace it with the white, or halftone it and soften the edges as I stated above... hope that made sense.

Also, I would avoid pure black in general. Off black with a little color in it is the way to go imo. I would change it to a really dark, dark brown.

Thank you all! I think I can tweak this to something I'll be willing to sub, now. Odroc, Chump, all of you - thanks tons!
I think I will lose the black around the heart. It seemed stark to me without a transition, but now that I'm starting to 'get' halftones, maybe I can do something else.
Thanks again all, you ROCK!

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck

thanks for all the advice on my little piece, im really liking it now.

Chump - tried the ol' switcheroo and i love it, thanks. also im planning on doing a radial gradient on just the sky part of the back ground so the edges wont be so harsh. Also i made the owl a tad bigger to help push the dynamics and to sell the size relation better. to me it reads that this is a little person, the girl on the lizard is wearing a mouse hat and snail shoulder pads and her arrows are sewing needles, so i think that helps. here is the updated minus the gradint for now.

also last night i couldnt sleep so i decided to update another old drawing, this one is a personal favorite. im trying to make them look as badass as possible while still being kind of cute and fanciful (the colors will be pastels i think), anything i can add?

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
megsck wrote:
also last night i couldnt sleep so i decided to update another old drawing, this one is a personal favorite. im trying to make them look as badass as possible while still being kind of cute and fanciful (the colors will be pastels i think), anything i can add?

Awesoooome! This has so much character. I really love your line quality too. Did I read at some point that you use a Cintiq? Do you like it more than a regular tablet? I keep hoping someday a random stranger will leave one at my doorstep... I have a feeling I will continue to hope to no avail ^^;.

megsck

bassanimation wrote:Awesoooome! This has so much character. I really love your line quality too. Did I read at some point that you use a Cintiq? Do you like it more than a regular tablet? I keep hoping someday a random stranger will leave one at my doorstep... I have a feeling I will continue to hope to no avail ^^;.

thanks! yes i use a cintiq and i am in love with it and will never go back to a tablet again! i saved up for a year to get it, we use them at work so i was already accustomed to them. they are really nice, and they make my work soooooo much faster because i erase, a lot! i would recommend them highly, my friend found a used one on ebay for 600 so you can find them used online.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
bassanimation wrote:Awesoooome! This has so much character. I really love your line quality too. Did I read at some point that you use a Cintiq? Do you like it more than a regular tablet? I keep hoping someday a random stranger will leave one at my doorstep... I have a feeling I will continue to hope to no avail ^^;.

http://austin.craigslist.org/pho/2171324059.html

bassanimation

no1 wrote:http://austin.craigslist.org/pho/2171324059.html

Oh man, look at that! I always search Clist Austin for Cintiqs but I rarely find them. Thanks for posting this, no1! I will think about it for sure.

Also thanks for the Cintiq advice, Meg. I have a friend who uses a tablet PC, and her friend uses a 12" Cintiq. They both love and adore them. I love my regular tablet, but it's hard to get the 'feel' of drawing just right on it. It's never as drawing directly onto something.

Thanks guys! Keep up the great WIPs!

odysseyroc

I have the 13" modbook, and I think it's just a little bit too small. I'll probably get the cintiq 21ux sometime this year.

modbook

bassanimation

I would love a 21UX, but I've heard it presents a bit of an ergonomics issue. If I were to ever go for the 21, I'd have to buy a new desk and outfit it with an ergo-arm like shown here. I have a pain disorder, so if my setup isn't 100% correct it kills me. ;_;

My friend's friend who uses the 12 loves it, but it presented some issues for him ergonomically too. He had to stop using it for some time. He also said he'd like to upgrade to the 21, but $2k is a heavy pill to swallow ^^;.

odysseyroc

bassanimation wrote:I would love a 21UX, but I've heard it presents a bit of an ergonomics issue. If I were to ever go for the 21, I'd have to buy a new desk and outfit it with an ergo-arm like shown here. I have a pain disorder, so if my setup isn't 100% correct it kills me. ;_;

My friend's friend who uses the 12 loves it, but it presented some issues for him ergonomically too. He had to stop using it for some time. He also said he'd like to upgrade to the 21, but $2k is a heavy pill to swallow ^^;.

I totally intend on getting one of those ergotron arms for my modbook and will pick one up for sure when I get a cintiq. One of the big issues is is that you pretty much have to be leaning forward to use it, if it's just sitting on the desk. That's brutal , even if you're in good health. The other issue for me, is my fat hand takes up a lot of the screen.

bassanimation

odysseyroc wrote:I totally intend on getting one of those ergotron arms for my modbook and will pick one up for sure when I get a cintiq. One of the big issues is is that you pretty much have to be leaning forward to use it, if it's just sitting on the desk. That's brutal , even if you're in good health. The other issue for me, is my fat hand takes up a lot of the screen.

I live in a tiny place right now, so there's no room for a big awesome desk. I'm still using the old teensy desk I got for my first apartment out of school. It's like a chiclet with wheels ^^;. If I were to try the ergo arm on that thing it would be like Fred Flintstone's car with the dinosaur ribs on it. @_@

noblehappenstance

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noblehappenstance

wasn't feeling a design for the India derby, so I decided to work on something else instead, now posting for feedback. Specifically, suggestions perhaps on how to root it into a shirt via background elements, shadows,other depth elements etc. Any help appreciated

Rake This![/url]

megsck

bassanimation wrote:I live in a tiny place right now, so there's no room for a big awesome desk. I'm still using the old teensy desk I got for my first apartment out of school. It's like a chiclet with wheels ^^;. If I were to try the ergo arm on that thing it would be like Fred Flintstone's car with the dinosaur ribs on it. @_@

we use the 21wx at work, i have the 21ux at home, the arm is definately great and im thinking about getting one, most of our directors at work use them. in fact one of my directors uses his arm to draw while he's lying down, haha. but i have both mine sitting straight right at the edge of my desk and they are fine for me. if anything they might help my slouching because it makes me sit straighter. i dont have any wrist issues either which i used to worry about because i tend to use my whole arm when i draw this way. i wish they had a store so that you can go in and try them out, they really are great to work on.

paigeg

noblehappenstance wrote:wasn't feeling a design for the India derby, so I decided to work on something else instead, now posting for feedback. Specifically, suggestions perhaps on how to root it into a shirt via background elements, shadows,other depth elements etc. Any help appreciated

Hmmm. Why are there peanuts on the ground in the first place? That would determine the background elements. For instance, if it were a Circus, you could have the tents (silhouettes?) in the background. Or, you could do a red-white stripe background for a Five Guys...

chumpmagic

I remove the "weird" spire and change the colors/ desaturated the colors. I change the T-color too. What do you all think? I would love to hear your thoughts because when I first submitted to woot, they didn't think people would be interested in this design (worded more respectfully and nicer than that though).

Old

New

odysseyroc

chumpmagic wrote:I remove the "weird" spire and change the colors/ desaturated the colors. I change the T-color too. What do you all think? I would love to hear your thoughts because when I first submitted to woot, they didn't think people would be interested in this design (worded more respectfully and nicer than that though).

Old

New

I like the line art changes. But, I think your colors are working against each other. They are too close in value and saturation.

odysseyroc

Here's a greyscale version, to show you what I mean about the value. Everything just sort of blends together.

odysseyroc

I think I've posted this before, but colorist Dave McCaig has a great breakdown on breaking up planes with color. I think it's worth checking out.

kevlar51

Chump,

I agree with odysseyroc. I had a hard time differentiating the features in the first example, and I'm having a harder time in the second.

He's right; value (not color as I said) is what's causing the loss in focus for me.

I do think dropping the spire was a good idea.

I'd also reconsider where the Jester's knee cap is, or at least the spot you've drawn for the joint. At first glance it looks like a belly-button on a distorted belly.

Does woot send out different form letters for rejections? That's exciting--I've always gotten the same one and I've considered subbing something truly awful to see if they still "like my style"

chumpmagic

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it.

I start of with values when digitally painting, but for this screen printing stuff, I usually just hop right it. I will have to keep that more in mind as I return to this and future stuff.

And for the knee. Hopefully, I can just remove the bone impression and it will seem more suitable.

Thanks again!

kevlar51 wrote:
Does woot send out different form letters for rejections? That's exciting--I've always gotten the same one and I've considered subbing something truly awful to see if they still "like my style"

I get different ones each time I think. But I send mine in the form of a love letter (with cologne sprayed on it and whatnot), so it's more personally, and takes far more words to reject me

megsck

chumpmagic wrote:Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it.

I start of with values when digitally painting, but for this screen printing stuff, I usually just hop right it. I will have to keep that more in mind as I return to this and future stuff.

And for the knee. Hopefully, I can just remove the bone impression and it will seem more suitable.

Thanks again!

I get different ones each time I think. But I send mine in the form of a love letter (with cologne sprayed on it and whatnot), so it's more personally, and takes far more words to reject me

i like the new line work, agree with the color suggestions, and i do like the it on cranberry too. ^_^

how soon do you hear back from woot about a rejection? my first two subs they got back to me rather quickly with a no, but i just sent in two over a month ago and i havnt heard anything back. i have no idea if that is a good sign or they just forgot about me, haha.

kevlar51

chumpmagic wrote:

And here I thought you only gave that special treatment to me.

I remember the first rejection I got, which gave encouraging comments. I thought "wow, that's really nice" and then 20 minutes later I got the same letter for another entry

Then recently I tried my hand at a daily and got the same letter back.

So I figured they were all the same.

kevlar51

megsck wrote:i like the new line work, agree with the color suggestions, and i do like the it on cranberry too. ^_^

how soon do you hear back from woot about a rejection? my first two subs they got back to me rather quickly with a no, but i just sent in two over a month ago and i havnt heard anything back. i have no idea if that is a good sign or they just forgot about me, haha.

It's always been within the week for me. Perhaps that IS a good sign for you

chumpmagic

megsck wrote:i like the new line work, agree with the color suggestions, and i do like the it on cranberry too. ^_^

It depends on when they have their meeting it seems. I have had one that seemed almost instant and one the seem like more than a month.

odysseyroc

I've been rejected in days, weeks and months. I've even had a couple that I never heard back on at all.

paigeg

kevlar51 wrote:Chump,

I agree with odysseyroc. I had a hard time differentiating the features in the first example, and I'm having a harder time in the second.

He's right; value (not color as I said) is what's causing the loss in focus for me.

I do think dropping the spire was a good idea.

I'd also reconsider where the Jester's knee cap is, or at least the spot you've drawn for the joint. At first glance it looks like a belly-button on a distorted belly.

I've gotten the same one, too. Maybe its' luck of the draw - who's manning the 'Dear John' desk that day. My lady is always nice and, yes, 'likes my style'.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

Hey, I just drew a complete blank on the recording media derby, so I worked on something else. I was hoping for anyone to tell me whether this is worth pursuing, or if it's just a bad idea altogether:

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Josephus wrote:Hey, I just drew a complete blank on the recording media derby, so I worked on something else. I was hoping for anyone to tell me whether this is worth pursuing, or if it's just a bad idea altogether:

I think its got some major potential!

I just came up with an idea I'm workin' on.
You hear people argue over the show The Office, which I'm a big fan. There's those who dig the US version and then there's the others who are all about the british version. While pondering this for some strange reason today, the Crisis on Infinite Earths popped into my head. So here's the gist, the design is the classic superhero against villian standoff with one group one side about to plunge into battle with the other side but instead of Superheroes and villians, insert the british version vs the american all in classic comic book poses but all in the office attire. Also I have a title below in similar dc style as Crisis saying "Crisis in Infinite Offices" Still sketchin' everything and hope to post more once the rough is done. Its not a design for here @ woot but I think it has potential elsewhere. Any thoughts?

megsck

midgerock wrote:

So here's the gist, the design is the classic superhero against villian standoff with one group one side about to plunge into battle with the other side but instead of Superheroes and villians, insert the british version vs the american all in classic comic book poses but all in the office attire. Also I have a title below in similar dc style as Crisis saying "Crisis in Infinite Offices"

sounds fun to me, i think you do really well with likeness' and that would be key here, so it should look awesome, cant wait to see some roughs!

i just sketched this out today from a request from my bf to mash up dexter's lab and dexter, here is the sketch: