midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
megsck wrote:sounds fun to me, i think you do really well with likeness' and that would be key here, so it should look awesome, cant wait to see some roughs!

i just sketched this out today from a request from my bf to mash up dexter's lab and dexter, here is the sketch:

Ha! love how you did Dexter! This could be a really funny sweet mash up! I wonder if you had him glancing over at the girl if that may make it feel a little more connected. Right now he seems disconnected. But definitely major potential and win!!!

as to a rough I got some line work down still trying to figure out Tim Cantebury (UK version of Jim Talpert or vice versa) and what I want to do with him or have him do. Not as familiar with the UK version so input would be great from those who follow the uk version.

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
midgerock wrote:
as to a rough I got some line work down still trying to figure out Tim Cantebury (UK version of Jim Talpert or vice versa) and what I want to do with him or have him do. Not as familiar with the UK version so input would be great from those who follow the uk version.

this.is.awesome

you do awesome caricatures midge! really great positioning as well. i though of a few things and these are just really nit picky and only have to do with the over all comp, i just though david/gerveis arm was a bit large compared to the rest, and i brough the left girl up a bit to even out the composition a bit, feel free to make the changes or completely ignore me =) again i hope this prints and i want one when it does.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Sweet caricatures midegrock! And the changes Meg is suggesting are definitely good ones.

Megsck, big Dexter fan and I really like your drawing. I don't know if you're drawing for fun or if you're planning to work it into a finished tee, but TeeFury ran a Dexter's Lab/Dexter design last year. (Sorry if that's bad news, it's better to know, isn't it?)

megsck

Spiritgreen wrote:Sweet caricatures midegrock! And the changes Meg is suggesting are definitely good ones.

Megsck, big Dexter fan and I really like your drawing. I don't know if you're drawing for fun or if you're planning to work it into a finished tee, but TeeFury ran a Dexter's Lab/Dexter design last year. (Sorry if that's bad news, it's better to know, isn't it?)

thanks spirit, im actually doing this one as a drawing, at my bf and a few dexter loving friends request. i actually looked for someone who had done it already and found that t-shirt design, but i personally dont like that design so im doin my own version. this will probably just make it onto my friends wallpapers and my blog. i was actually thinking that this would make a fun gallery idea, tv-show cartoon mashups! might suggest that for our next american dad gallery show. it would be cool if woot hosted a gallery, for charity or something. you hear that wootlord? get on that!

megsck

finished my dexter drawing! now i guess ill just sit around and relax for this weekend until i get inspired or something.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
megsck wrote:finished my dexter drawing! now i guess ill just sit around and relax for this weekend until i get inspired or something.

that looks solid! I know spirit point out the similar shirt but still this rocks and still would sell elsewhere. Although the idea has been done the style is completely different. Not too crazy about the color choices, IMO. How do you get your so crisp line work?

megsck

midgerock wrote:that looks solid! I know spirit point out the similar shirt but still this rocks and still would sell elsewhere. Although the idea has been done the style is completely different. Not too crazy about the color choices, IMO. How do you get your so crisp line work?

im not too happy with the colors just yet either, ill probably mess around with them tonight, i think ill use some of the colors straight from dexters lab. the linework was done in illustrator with the pen tool, makes everything nice and clean. maybe ill sub it somewhere, i think its different enough from the previous one. thanks midge!

Spiritgreen

I like your's a lot more too, Meg. Love what you're doing with Deb/DeeDee.

Tartakovsky's color palette will give it an extra boost too. Can't wait to see it finished. ^__^

megsck

here is the updated color version!

this week off has given me a ton of time to catch up on other illustrations, finishing another today ill post pics later. ^_^

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
megsck wrote:here is the updated color version!

this week off has given me a ton of time to catch up on other illustrations, finishing another today ill post pics later. ^_^

You people with your free time, bah! (swims in housework and dust and dirty pets)

This looks great, Meg! You should consider subbing this to a venue :D. I also really need to watch Dexter. >_<;

megsck

here is the other design i've been meaning to finish for awhile now for my blog header, the name of my blog nocturnally geeky me is an anagram of my name =)

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
megsck wrote:here is the other design i've been meaning to finish for awhile now for my blog header, the name of my blog nocturnally geeky me is an anagram of my name =)

This would be a sweet all over print, like have the stars on front, back, everywhar!

Owls ftw!

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants

The character's great Meg and you did a fine job on those colors.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg

I had a thought I was thinking of playing with, but some input would be great.
The idea is two kids playing 'tennis', but their rackets are Wii controllers - you know, with the hole in the middle. First serve,the ball drops through and their faces show their inability to understand.
First, laying it out is a pain. Everything I've done so far is really messy and cluttered, with two figures plus the net. I've been working at a 3/4 angle, but I'm thinking dead-on profile might be better. But - the net?
Second, I hear tell folks aren't huge fans of people on their shirts, so I guess I need to use some kind of critter. I'd use birds, if we were talking badminton. Any suggestions?

paigeg

paigeg wrote:I had a thought I was thinking of playing with, but some input would be great.
The idea is two kids playing 'tennis', but their rackets are Wii controllers - you know, with the hole in the middle. First serve,the ball drops through and their faces show their inability to understand.
First, laying it out is a pain. Everything I've done so far is really messy and cluttered, with two figures plus the net. I've been working at a 3/4 angle, but I'm thinking dead-on profile might be better. But - the net?
Second, I hear tell folks aren't huge fans of people on their shirts, so I guess I need to use some kind of critter. I'd use birds, if we were talking badminton. Any suggestions?

Hmm. maybe a sea change. I've been sketching, and this guy was supposed to be the nonplussed foil to my enthusiastic Wii Tennis pup. Yes, I was thinking dogs. But the way he came out, he deserves better than my Sirius GPP idea. Any thoughts?
He looks like a chef to me. Not least because I'm obsessed with Chopped, Iron Chef, etc. But I'm not putting it together...

paigeg

paigeg wrote:Hmm. maybe a sea change. I've been sketching, and this guy was supposed to be the nonplussed foil to my enthusiastic Wii Tennis pup. Yes, I was thinking dogs. But the way he came out, he deserves better than my Sirius GPP idea. Any thoughts?
He looks like a chef to me. Not least because I'm obsessed with Chopped, Iron Chef, etc. But I'm not putting it together...

Chime in here - change the shirt collar and pin the opening up like chef's coat? Now how do I work him into a design? Unexpected Easter feast result? I like this bruiser. Love to use him. Free thinking now, folks.

paigeg

I got distracted from McDogbreath to work on another project. I've been looking for Asian-themed art for my sexy new contemporary/Asian bath. I found one good poster and it's on the wall. But I have another blank wall. Hub says, you draw - draw it!
So I did.
I'm interested in any commentary/feedback. I know art is subjective, but it's still cool to see what other, more experienced folks think. This is Geisha Bathing at Sunset.

It's not Woot-related, and so doesn't follow any of the rules.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
paigeg wrote:I got distracted from McDogbreath to work on another project. I've been looking for Asian-themed art for my sexy new contemporary/Asian bath. I found one good poster and it's on the wall. But I have another blank wall. Hub says, you draw - draw it!
So I did.
I'm interested in any commentary/feedback. I know art is subjective, but it's still cool to see what other, more experienced folks think. This is Geisha Bathing at Sunset.

It's not Woot-related, and so doesn't follow any of the rules.

kind of a pronounced butt crease there for a 3/4 view, imho.

paigeg

no1 wrote:kind of a pronounced butt crease there for a 3/4 view, imho.

Hmmm. My original sketch, before filling it, was 3/4 view from the rear. I'm not sure that's clear, the way the silhouette turned out. Hmmm.
/edit: Does some additional lighting help?

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
paigeg wrote:Hmmm. My original sketch, before filling it, was 3/4 view from the rear. I'm not sure that's clear, the way the silhouette turned out. Hmmm.
/edit: Does some additional lighting help?

i'm not 100% sure about my original opinion, but i think a smoother outer curve on the butt is more, uh, (ahem) aesthetically pleasing to my eye. look at this pic (not nekkid but hey, it's a pic of a butt, so fair warning): standing butt. the inner cheek has a concave corner but i think the outer butt curve is a little gentler blending into the leg.

ymmv.

paigeg

no1 wrote:i'm not 100% sure about my original opinion, but i think a smoother outer curve on the butt is more, uh, (ahem) aesthetically pleasing to my eye. look at this pic (not nekkid but hey, it's a pic of a butt, so fair warning): standing butt. the inner cheek has a concave corner but i think the outer butt curve is a little gentler blending into the leg.

ymmv.

I see what you mean, but panty girl is leaning forward, literally sticking her butt out. My figure is upright, even leaning back slightly. Fat is fat, and it makes creases. I respect your opinion and thanks, but I think I prefer my girl to have a little more booty.

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
paigeg wrote:I see what you mean, but panty girl is leaning forward, literally sticking her butt out. My figure is upright, even leaning back slightly. Fat is fat, and it makes creases. I respect your opinion and thanks, but I think I prefer my girl to have a little more booty.

I think the amount of crease would be fine if it were lower...right now it's almost directly in from the widest part of the hip, whereas it should be obviously lower. Which means that the smooth curve does need to extend a little farther down before turning into the crease. If that makes any sense.

megsck

Hey paige i hope its not too late for this but i did a quick sketch over of your girl...it wasnt the crease that was bothering me i think the "cheek" just needed a little extra volume ;)

also the main thing they taught me in life drawing was that the base (mainly the feet) should be directly beneath the models nose, yours was looking like she might tip over so i balanced her out a bit, also by moving the right foot out a bit. and then i think the perspective on the plants just needed a bit of tweeking. like the painterlyness of this, really captures the japanese watercolor feel.
-------------------------------

on my front i've been messing with this design i originally planned for the "one of these things is not like the other" derby. its a shout out to the song of ice and fire trilogy by george r. r. martin, i havnt colored it yet but all the wolves on the ground will be shades of brown and black and the one on the throne will be an albino wolf. i think im about done with the initial design, then ill move on to cleaning it up and color, any suggestions would be great! =)

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
paigeg wrote:Chime in here - change the shirt collar and pin the opening up like chef's coat? Now how do I work him into a design? Unexpected Easter feast result? I like this bruiser. Love to use him. Free thinking now, folks.

he should have plated the food. a couple of tiny pieces of bone. you know, one of those iconic bones that they always draw in the cartoons. opr maybe a cross section of a bone, one of those circles. maybe a whole plateful of bone marrow medallions. very little bone on the plate, though, like a fancy schmanzy restaurant.

brockart

quality posts: 7 Private Messages brockart

Here's something I've been working on for a little bit now.

I'm not sure it's done though. It's pretty simple.

Let me know what you think.

kevlar51

quality posts: 45 Private Messages kevlar51
brockart wrote:Here's something I've been working on for a little bit now.

I'm not sure it's done though. It's pretty simple.

Let me know what you think.

Love the style and use of negative space, but I'm not crazy about how the rectangle will look on a shirt. I suggest getting rid of all the white lines above the owl--or at least see how that looks when you do.

brockart

New Something I'm working on called: Yeti Spaghetti

brockart

New Inked Illustration called "Deviled Eggs"

The fire in the background is just for placement. There's still plenty of Gory Egg details to add.

paigeg

brockart wrote:New Inked Illustration called "Deviled Eggs"

The fire in the background is just for placement. There's still plenty of Gory Egg details to add.

Niiice. I will be pitching a hallowoot idea in 3... 2...1...

paigeg

I''m mucking about, sketching various elemants for a Hallowoot idea. Could us input, help if anyone is interested.
"Something's not right, here..." Or somesuch title.
Costumed tykes approaching a house on Halloween note. The house is adorable: cutesy decorations with smiling Jack-.o-lanterns, cute black kittens in witch hats,, etc. But one window has evil, glowy eyes peering out. I almost have the layout set in my head...

Spiritgreen

paigeg wrote:I''m mucking about, sketching various elemants for a Hallowoot idea. Could us input, help if anyone is interested.
"Something's not right, here..." Or somesuch title.
Costumed tykes approaching a house on Halloween note. The house is adorable: cutesy decorations with smiling Jack-.o-lanterns, cute black kittens in witch hats,, etc. But one window has evil, glowy eyes peering out. I almost have the layout set in my head...

I like it Paige! I wonder if the glowy eyes will stand out enough as being wrong when there's other halloweeny decorations everywhere.

If you wanted to make the wrongness more in-your-face, you could make the front of the house a facade, just a thin wooden wall propped up like a cheap movie set. Behind that maybe have a monster sitting expectantly at a dinner table wearing a bib and holding a knife and fork?

Alternatively you could make the house more like a monster, so you'd have a window either side of the door with a biiig bloodshot eyeball in them both, filling the glass. And the door could be drooling.

:^) ?

paigeg

Spiritgreen wrote:I like it Paige! I wonder if the glowy eyes will stand out enough as being wrong when there's other halloweeny decorations everywhere.

If you wanted to make the wrongness more in-your-face, you could make the front of the house a facade, just a thin wooden wall propped up like a cheap movie set. Behind that maybe have a monster sitting expectantly at a dinner table wearing a bib and holding a knife and fork?

Alternatively you could make the house more like a monster, so you'd have a window either side of the door with a biiig bloodshot eyeball in them both, filling the glass. And the door could be drooling.

:^) ?

Lol! I like the way you think. I was being far too subtle. Well, the new derby is meh for me (can't draw a straight line!) and I'm really too busy to participate anyway, so I'll keep sketching on this when I have time until something looks right.

osters5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages osters5
noblehappenstance wrote:I couldn't come up with any ideas I was too excited for in the derby for tomorrow, so I worked up something random instead. It maybe has some message about standing up for what you believe it or yada yada, maybe no message at all. Any thoughts on it in general by chance? I'd say it will live filed away on my computer for a while until theres a good reason to pull it out.

that is awesome i love the facial expressions

osters5

ok it looks like this thread has been long dead, but i like surfing through woot's forums, let's see if i get any comments. i'm not a professional and i've been teaching myself basic graphic design on free programs such as gimp and inkscape, and here's a random design i was playing with today. it's not a shirt design, and i don't know where i'm going to go with it, but here it is:

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

osters5 wrote:ok it looks like this thread has been long dead, but i like surfing through woot's forums, let's see if i get any comments. i'm not a professional and i've been teaching myself basic graphic design on free programs such as gimp and inkscape, and here's a random design i was playing with today. it's not a shirt design, and i don't know where i'm going to go with it, but here it is:

It's certainly cute. What's the concept behind the king puppy? Is it "dogs rule my house"?

I would make its eyes a different color besides yellow because that color seems to recede a bit. The eyes don't match with the rest of it.

Besides that, you could add some weight and sense of space by adding a simple background and giving the doggy and the accessories some shadows and highlights. You could use lighter brown on the dog and make a simple fur texture where the highlights are. That's all I can think of now. Keep working on it

paigeg

osters5 wrote:ok it looks like this thread has been long dead, but i like surfing through woot's forums, let's see if i get any comments. i'm not a professional and i've been teaching myself basic graphic design on free programs such as gimp and inkscape, and here's a random design i was playing with today. it's not a shirt design, and i don't know where i'm going to go with it, but here it is:

Ochopika gave some good advice. For me, I htink removing the black around the eyes, then making the eye-lines themselves black and larger would help, too.

paigeg

Thoughts on a daily. I've been tinkering around sketching, thinking of the upcoming Chinese New Year - Year of the (Water) Dragon. I'm still roughing out sketches, but wondered if anyone had thoughts on this: A baby dragon, Chinese-style but infantile, with just the beginning of a mane, short 'antlers' and such. He's wearing a tube (possibly with rubber ducky head, but probably not). He's smiling at the departing figure of an elderly rabbit, bearded, wearing a cheongsam or kimono and walking with a gnarled stick. The rabbit is holding up two crossed fingers - Hang dai. All is, of course, cartoon-ish, not realistic. If you can visualize, or at least 'get' the concept/references, I'd appreciate feedback. Meanwhile, I'll try to get some sketches smoothed out enough to post.
/edit: I just realized, if I reference the 'water' dragon, I should probably reference the 'metal' rabbit. Hmmmm. But how?

paigeg

Well, my problem with the 'metal' rabbit aside, here is what I have so far - just a really rough sketch. I'd appreciate thoughts, tho, even whether I should pursue it at all.

vuboy123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vuboy123

As a final year student in oriental medicine (acupuncture, herbs, etc..), I'm looking for more ways to advertise the medicine (and myself) to the world. Problem is I have no drawing skills whatsoever. I always get comments on the woot shirts I buy so I'm hoping I can spark some of you to draw some attention grabbing design. Cute looking shirts seems to get noticed the most so the only thing I can think of is 2 pandas and one is putting some needles on the other.

All the acupuncture related shirts I've seen aren't that great but if you have some eye catching designs and put it in your shop or sites like redbubble, I bet I can get some people to buy them. Thanks!

osters5

paigeg wrote:Ochopika gave some good advice. For me, I htink removing the black around the eyes, then making the eye-lines themselves black and larger would help, too.

ok, i did just this. im still trying to put it into a sunset/skyline scence, but won't do it till at least tomorrow night. until then, comments: