piwerx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages piwerx

Hope the posting works, I love the derby theme this week, #227: sci-fi kawaii.

I have a concept, but I'm very new to (stares at feet) Inkscape, lets forget that I don't have a tablet, my pointer is a mouse. I keep trying to stretch things like I did in AutoCad...

Anyway, I see this thread is active, I like it. I like the community here at woot, been following for a few months... (had this concept 2 years ago, but didn't realize it existed even prior to that--contest based traffic)

So I am not ashamed of this little mock-up, I want people to see my progress, I just want to know if the concept is "cute" enough...

(what is kawaii? do I have to google everything?)

If the image is too ugly/abrupt of a draft, I will spell out the main idea: cute little guys, like baby vikings, baby thor, et al..
4 Norsemen of the Apocalypse, on cartoon horses of Black, White, Red, and "Pale"... destruction background... for style, heart shaped composition, may possibly be noticable in 'sketch'..

It will take me all week to make it, but will anybody have time to vote on it if it was cute? IDK, new here, thanks for comments

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
osters5 wrote:ok, i did just this. im still trying to put it into a sunset/skyline scence, but won't do it till at least tomorrow night. until then, comments:

Better on the eyes, definitely. Question - are we just looking at the front feet? It kinda looks like a two-legged pup, this way. Maybe add some lines indicating the front legs coming down to those feet...?

osters5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages osters5
paigeg wrote:Better on the eyes, definitely. Question - are we just looking at the front feet? It kinda looks like a two-legged pup, this way. Maybe add some lines indicating the front legs coming down to those feet...?

yes, they are the front feet.

here is a new version, i have put the pup into a city scene:

the only problem, i'mnot sure where i'm going with this, any ideas? also need ideas for the placement of the dog.

thanks!

piwerx

I think the posting worked, I can see it..
Even if the subject is too trite, I'm still posting progress...

Damn this is hard, you guys are really good.

My baby Thor (far right) has some line weight, I was worried I wouldn't be able to achieve this.

Anyway, maybe this fleshes out the idea?

I don't think I will finish by Thursday

piwerx

maybe I was wrong about this place:
the thread title was Ideas, etc..
not technical skill,

I'm not asking for tutorial advice, maybe its Inkscape.... lol

Maybe you don't like noobs...

Its going to be hard to be encouraged to learn if I don't exist...lol,

maybe I'll enter if we get an existential derby..

I hate chibi/manga/cute anyway and Starwars and Mario...

I like Vernor Vinge, Asimov, Brin, Bear, Stross, Reynolds, the Hard stuff...

I've been following some older threads, and it really does seem like the better designs don't even go to print...

tessderpervilles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tessderpervilles

Outside of paigeg, I don't see too many folks collaborating on here.

ochopika

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

piwerx wrote:maybe I was wrong about this place:
the thread title was Ideas, etc..
not technical skill..

People sometimes forget about this thread since it's not on the World of Woot forums. It's not because everyone hates you, don't worry!

Your concept is just fine. It is a simple joke that people would understand instantly, which is perfect for shirt design.

The idea has been done before with cute things, like ponies. If you want to remake the same concept in your own style, I don't see anything wrong with that. Going with something familiar to everyone is effective.

I'm a little confused about whether or not you are looking for constructive criticism with your artwork, or you just wanted to know if the idea was good. I will say that technique is just as important as concept, so it's good to keep practicing and learning. If you are interested in getting into digital art, you will definitely need a scanner or a tablet of some kind.

I hope that is helpful

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
ochopika wrote:People sometimes forget about this thread since it's not on the World of Woot forums.

imo, this is it exactly.

no1

piwerx wrote:I have a concept, but I'm very new to (stares at feet) Inkscape, lets forget that I don't have a tablet, my pointer is a mouse. I keep trying to stretch things like I did in AutoCad...

do you draw at all with pencil/pen and paper? if so, you might find it easier to just draw on paper and scan it into your computer for cleanup and submittal.

just a suggestion.

piwerx

[quote="ochopika"]I'm a little confused about whether or not you are looking for constructive criticism with your artwork, or you just wanted to know if the idea was good.[/quote]

hope the quote worked, so new..
well, first it was very helpful, and 2nd: Damn, I was afraid it was too common, so I don't want to be 'that' artist...(if I'm even an artist at all) I don't see it as a winner, anyway... I want a new concept, and funny.

but the confusion, yeah, you called me on it, I was looking for a little help, but mainly the IDEA, so: Thanks!! for both...

as to the tablet, not gonna happen, I need memory for the pc first(read: personal financial crisis), so maybe one day, until then I have to make do with what I've got...

Thanks again. Nice to not be hated, or ignored..
(I love the idea of babies celebrating the end of the world, that's just funny to me--and FWIW: I never recall seeing a similar design but it may be that I have and that it influenced me, idk. There's enough 'copying' going on...without me contributing)

piwerx

no1 said "...pen/paper..."

Well, I do. (no scanner) However, my art looks like Ralph Steadman had a stroke, if you can imagine. and... I don't use ink, so although I have a style: no1 likes it. lol. (pun)

But I considered it. I think I just need more time on vector progs.. (I also got the gimp--for the file conv.)

Umpteen years ago I had a full blown copy of PaintShop Pro with killer tools (Kai Power tools??) But that was many many pc's ago...

Thanks for tip

no1

piwerx wrote:no1 said "...pen/paper..."

Well, I do. (no scanner) However, my art looks like Ralph Steadman had a stroke, if you can imagine. and... I don't use ink, so although I have a style: no1 likes it. lol. (pun)

But I considered it. I think I just need more time on vector progs.. (I also got the gimp--for the file conv.)

Umpteen years ago I had a full blown copy of PaintShop Pro with killer tools (Kai Power tools??) But that was many many pc's ago...

Thanks for tip

i think while you're in learning mode on inkscape, you may find it hard to finish a design as you've described between the theme announcement and the end of submissions. i count at least four distinct/separate characters and probably a lot of background work to be drawn. if you're learning a new software program on top of that... well, let's just say i think you would have an easier time with fewer main figures and simpler background idear. either that or just draw something that suits you, take your time with it (i.e., more than a week) and wait for a suitable derby or submit as a daily.

piwerx

@ no1: (can somebody help me with the quote block?)

Thank you, that is very honest. I was thinking the very same. I was surfing old derbies, and I found a funny one to me: Derby #193: Catchy Slogans for Everyday Products.

Since I'm 4 years late to this party, I thought it might be good practice to try an old one, especially if the "joke" was original.

So in keeping with your advice this is what I came up with in fairly short order. Once (future ideas, not this one particularly) the joke/concept is solid, then I'd love input on the "design" (I understand often they are inseparable).

This is probably where my simple designs are headed, cheap, easy, quick, like a bad first date.

these are 640x480 jpgs, which don't seem to fit the forum well ??

no1

piwerx wrote:@ no1: (can somebody help me with the quote block?)

did you use the "reply" button?

piwerx wrote:
these are 640x480 jpgs, which don't seem to fit the forum well ??

my browser says you posted a 724 × 1,024 pic.

i think it's a funny idear!

piwerx

no1 wrote:my browser says you posted a 724 × 1,024 pic.

i think it's a funny idear!

no @ reply, previously.
this time I see the code I had wrong, ty.

@ funny, ty...

if its funny/cute they will vote right?

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

I reloaded at photobucket, idk? another technical issue for me... oh well,

one more question: Illustrator:Inkscape:: 1/2 tone: gradient?? correct?

no1

piwerx wrote:one more question: Illustrator:Inkscape:: 1/2 tone: gradient?? correct?

halftones are not the same as gradients. gradients are smoothly varying transitions between two colours. halftones are when you break up a solid block of colour into dots to simulate transparency or colour mixing (for example, if you're familiar with old 50s-60s-70s comic books, pinkish flesh colour was simulated by printing tiny red dots on white paper - from a distance it looks like pink). woot usually cannot print gradients but can print halftones. people get around the restriction on gradients by using halftones to simulate gradients.

whereas inkscape is mostly similar to illustrator (albeit with somewhat less capability).

StrafePK

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StrafePK

Hi There, im new to shirt.woot. I just got a crazy idea in my head and wanted to get it out. This is the result, let me know what you guys think (Both in concept and execution)

piwerx

I wanna use this little guy to win a derby ;) I think I can!!

I give you, Spudz-Chibi!! (or Spudz-Manga, idk?)

no1

StrafePK wrote:Hi There, im new to shirt.woot. I just got a crazy idea in my head and wanted to get it out. This is the result, let me know what you guys think (Both in concept and execution)

the idea seems funny enough, although a similar idea has been drawn before:

as for the execution, the "police box" seems to be rendered more realistically than the rest of the image elements (that is, the tardis is stylistically different than the rest of the scene).

otherwise, it's not bad.

no1

piwerx wrote:I wanna use this little guy to win a derby ;) I think I can!!

I give you, Spudz-Chibi!! (or Spudz-Manga, idk?)

what are those colour patterns in the background?

StrafePK

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StrafePK
no1 wrote:the idea seems funny enough, although a similar idea has been drawn before:

as for the execution, the "police box" seems to be rendered more realistically than the rest of the image elements (that is, the tardis is stylistically different than the rest of the scene).

otherwise, it's not bad.

I should have known i wasn't the first to think of that. Ha.

Thanks for the feedback, i'll probably tweak it a little so that the elements are more stylistically compatible.

piwerx

no1 wrote:what are those colour patterns in the background?

uh, I'd like them to be my avatar, just a logo I made, its transparent here.. mostly.
Imagine all the background is white, I suppose..
Is it too distracting to see if the pup is cute?

My first sub was rejected, I used too many colors.. I've reworked it, but I'm not going to re-sub... I just don't love the idea anymore..

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1

I've started working on this. It's inspired by Parks & Rec. Any notes or thoughts?

no1

axphw1 wrote:I've started working on this. It's inspired by Parks & Rec. Any notes or thoughts?

lotta text.

piwerx

maybe I should start my own thread, ?

here's a sketch, I had to snap a pic with my phone, and email it to myself, lol.

then a detail of what I've done with it.

I will never have time to finish.. for this derby, anyway.

I guess I'm wondering if there is an easier way to do all this? It seems to take (too many) hours to get anywhere.

I don't even care for the results, I can't seem to make purty pitchers.

Does it take everybody this long?

jake526

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jake526

What do you guys think of this? Would you wear it? Anything I could do to improve it?

Sorry the right side of the image got clipped off a bit. But you get the idea.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/ghostglide

osters5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages osters5
piwerx wrote:maybe I should start my own thread, ?

here's a sketch, I had to snap a pic with my phone, and email it to myself, lol.

then a detail of what I've done with it.

I will never have time to finish.. for this derby, anyway.

I guess I'm wondering if there is an easier way to do all this? It seems to take (too many) hours to get anywhere.

I don't even care for the results, I can't seem to make purty pitchers.

Does it take everybody this long?

um, if youre a beginner on inkscape (i also use inkscape), try to shoot for much less complex designs.

piwerx

osters5 wrote:um, if youre a beginner on inkscape (i also use inkscape), try to shoot for much less complex designs.

I agree, I never finished that one, but hey, maybe next year.

The line art is a real challenge, in Inkscape.

Hydro033

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hydro033

I have some shirt designs and I am wondering if any artists want to collaborate. They are pretty original ideas combining evolutionary biology and with some jokes. PM me or something.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

OK, I'm reviving another old thread. This seems like a great idea. It's always nice to get input on your work.

Here's something I've been working on.

The basic joke is that R2 & 3PO are like Laurel & Hardy. I was watching Episode IV with my son, and the parallel struck me during the scene when the gang is blasting TIEs on the Millenium Falcon. 3PO gets tangled up in wires during the fray and blames R2, hence the setting. Is this reference/concept too obscure? Any other general feedback on the design? The text is hand lettered - is it working? I feel like the poses are a bit stiff, but they are droids after all.

Anyway, I hope we can bring this thread back to life. I always enjoy participating in critiques.

genghisjon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages genghisjon
orabbit wrote:OK, I'm reviving another old thread. This seems like a great idea. It's always nice to get input on your work.

Here's something I've been working on.

The basic joke is that R2 & 3PO are like Laurel & Hardy. I was watching Episode IV with my son, and the parallel struck me during the scene when the gang is blasting TIEs on the Millenium Falcon. 3PO gets tangled up in wires during the fray and blames R2, hence the setting. Is this reference/concept too obscure? Any other general feedback on the design? The text is hand lettered - is it working? I feel like the poses are a bit stiff, but they are droids after all.

Anyway, I hope we can bring this thread back to life. I always enjoy participating in critiques.

orabbit, I am a big Laurel & Hardy fan. For the fans that will get it, I think Oliver Hardy was always the one who said 'Well here's another fine mess...', it was never Stan Laurel to my knowledge. In this case you have R2 as Hardy but C3PO as Laurel stating the line; it should be the inverse. As far as the concept it is a decent one in my opinion, but I probably wouldn't buy a shirt with the design. May the farce be with you.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
genghisjon wrote:orabbit, I am a big Laurel & Hardy fan. For the fans that will get it, I think Oliver Hardy was always the one who said 'Well here's another fine mess...', it was never Stan Laurel to my knowledge. In this case you have R2 as Hardy but C3PO as Laurel stating the line; it should be the inverse. As far as the concept it is a decent one in my opinion, but I probably wouldn't buy a shirt with the design. May the farce be with you.

I know, and Hardy also said "Another nice mess". Unfortunately, R2 doesn't talk. And it's the type of thing C3PO would say, so I hoped it would work. Thanks for the feedback!

genghisjon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages genghisjon
orabbit wrote:I know, and Hardy also said "Another nice mess". Unfortunately, R2 doesn't talk. And it's the type of thing C3PO would say, so I hoped it would work. Thanks for the feedback!

No problem orabbit - maybe you could expand the idea and think of other ways to parody Laurel & Hardy with today's pop culture or parody other classic comedians in creative ways (Chaplin, Abbott & Costello, Marx bros., Three Stooges, Lucille Balle, etc.). Would have to be comedians classic enough that people would get the references, but I think one could have some fun with that.

p34vl3r5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages p34vl3r5

Here is something that I've done.

elizaleo06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elizaleo06

Hey, I don't know if this counts as a suggestion/idea but I was looking at the Derby 287: The 90s and it reminded me of this Facebook group that has been titled "When I was your age, I couldn't walk in tall grass without backup"...I don't have the design software but it does seem possible for someone to draw up a design with this slogan and include a mock-up of the pixelated tall grass we are all so familiar with from Pokemon Red & Blue?

pineclone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pineclone

I am not an artist, but have a silly play on words idea for any of you Breaking Bad fanatic artists out there...

"Last flight of the Heisenberg"...Imagine a Winnebago Zeppelin, spewing smoke/flames, spilling blue crystal...

That's about as far as i got with it. Anyway, i said it was an idea, not a great idea.

theterbeh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theterbeh

I am very new to woot, and have some designs pending, and i wasn't exactly sure how to post pictures in this thread. any feed back would be nice! thanks.

no1

theterbeh wrote:I am very new to woot, and have some designs pending, and i wasn't exactly sure how to post pictures in this thread. any feed back would be nice! thanks.

1. upload your pic to a hosting site (for example, photobucket.com)
2. after the upload, the site should tell you a direct url to the picture
3. copy the url and paste it into a post, surrounding the url text with bbcode image tags (like so: [img] url [/img]). you can hit "reply" to any post with an unquoted picture to see the format.

theterbeh

no1 wrote:1. upload your pic to a hosting site (for example, photobucket.com)
2. after the upload, the site should tell you a direct url to the picture
3. copy the url and paste it into a post, surrounding the url text with bbcode image tags (like so: [img] url [/img]). you can hit "reply" to any post with an unquoted picture to see the format.

thanks

theterbeh

This is something i am currently working on. how is the idea? and would you buy it?