AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

I guess daj has gone whole woot.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

AZGman

pooflady wrote:Guess you don't sell Tupperware, huh?

No, but I've melted my share!!

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
pooflady wrote:Does anyone sell Tupperware? There's a size container I want that I can't find in anything else, but the Tupperware one comes in a set and I can't find it by itself online.

I have a friend who sells it...

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
kdccrosby wrote:I have a friend who sells it...

What I want is a Prep Essentials Cold Cut Keeper. Can you find out if it can be purchased separately?

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

KtCallista wrote:Here

The city.
Expensive.
Rent
Long commute to where you can afford the rent.
A normal commute in nyc is over an hour. It is 75 minutes door to door from here. It was the same when I lived in Queens.
We are suppose to be 40 minutes on the train. But there isn't any parking near the train and the train isn't where you work, so you end up taking the subway.

It is usually less than the 75 minutes, but if you need to be on time, that is what you need to give yourself.

So, I would say, unless there is a ton more money for nyc, go for austin, if you take that job.

Oh, there are the best and the worst public schools here.
Any place with excellent schools, is even more money than a place with normal schools. Even if it is the same house and only a few blocks away (but zoned for the other school)

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

That is it? For the whole day?
Man, you people are slackers.
Big time slackers.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
pooflady wrote:What I want is a Prep Essentials Cold Cut Keeper. Can you find out if it can be purchased separately?

I sent her a msg on FB. I'll let you know what she says.

AZGman

dontwantaname wrote:That is it? For the whole day?
Man, you people are slackers.
Big time slackers.

This from queen post and ghost.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

hey all. Got up and took Ver1 to school and then came home and went to bed. Kids were up off and on all night until almost 4am. (not ver1, though she slept well).

So I wake up and Orc hit me with a huge decision. I hate decisions.

Super-cool-company (whom has been emailing daily) says there is a possibility that location #1 may open up again in a month. She (being the emailing representative) is willing to hold Orc's applications for that job, and pull him from considerations of the other locations.

He is thinking of dropping NY, just because of the financial concerns (that and we'd only really know dname ) The big question is if he wants to stay in the consideration for Austin and Santa Monica??? He's not being offered any of the jobs, just the chance to advance to the next rounds. All of the locations (even location #1) would mean moving. All the locations are a city.

I like the Austin wiki page. However, Texas schools have a really really bad reputation. I'd love to hear from GEG on the subject.

Beware the V'owls screech!

pooflady

KtCallista wrote:hey all. Got up and took Ver1 to school and then came home and went to bed. Kids were up off and on all night until almost 4am. (not ver1, though she slept well).

Super-cool-company (whom has been emailing daily) says there is a possibility that location #1 may open up again in a month. She (being the emailing representative) is willing to hold Orc's applications for that job, and pull him from considerations of the other locations.

He is thinking of dropping NY, just because of the financial concerns (that and we'd only really know dname ) The big question is if he wants to stay in the consideration for Austin and Santa Monica??? He's not being offered any of the jobs, just the chance to advance to the next rounds. All of the locations (even location #1) would mean moving. All the locations are a city.

I like the Austin wiki page. However, Texas schools have a really really bad reputation. I'd love to hear from GEG on the subject.

I'd really, really hate to have to make that decision. I know, no help; just sympathy.

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback
KtCallista wrote:hey all. Got up and took Ver1 to school and then came home and went to bed. Kids were up off and on all night until almost 4am. (not ver1, though she slept well).

I don't know where you got the information regarding Texas schools, I know our district is considered "exemplary".Mrs. Ice has been in Texas education for 25 years,has helped a couple of districts obtain national "Blue Ribbon" acreditation and interacts with districts all over the U.S. .She claims ours are as good or better than most.I know that our district is "cutting edge" when it comes to technology as many software companies launch their educational stuff here. I supose depending which school you go to some are better than others but it should be easy to find a good school in Austin or in most places I imagine.

In the end only kindness matters

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

No help here either.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken
KtCallista wrote:I like the Austin wiki page. However, Texas schools have a really really bad reputation. I'd love to hear from GEG on the subject.

Texas Schools have a bad reputation? Not that I've heard. Usually, the only complaints I hear about Texas schools are coming from small ultra-liberal (but highly vocal) groups decrying the fact that due to it's large market share Texas (and its relatively conservative board of education) essentially sets the textbook curriculum for the entire country.

My only personal experience with Texas schools is from interacting with people at music camps and college that went to school there. So as far as I can tell, Texas is no different than any other state - they have their good and their bad, and how good the system is depends more on the support of the parents and surrounding community (through time and taxes) than it does the state of residence.

And since Orc is looking at a technical job with uber-cool-company and the cost of living is generally lower in the Midwest than either coast, I think that if he got the job you guys would be more than able to afford a place in one of the better school districts. Which makes me wonder, is the pay pretty much the same between position locations, or does the company raise/lower the offer based on cost of living in the locations?

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken

woo-hoo! time to head home! lots to do around the house this weekend. might drop in sometime later, otherwise, catch y'all around next week.

cruzer - is the pick'em contest coming back this year?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 543 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Howdy all. It's been a hell of a few weeks at both works and home. No time to even lurk here. Ugh. Washing down a margarita now with a pizza on the way.

Ktc, TX schools vary like any other state. To generalize tham all as bad is pretty short-sited. Most large cities have multiple districts for the smaller surrounding communities. School districts do not follow city limits. Larger school districts suffer due to their size just as smaller ones do. Find a moderate size community in the Austin area. Look at any map of Austin and you'll see what I mean.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

KtCallista

It's just what I'd heard a few years ago. If ya'all say I'm wrong, well I can be very happy being wrong! My school district was supposed to be the best in the state and it sucked, growing up, so....

Thanks for the commiserations. I was kinda raised to never turn down a opportunity today for the possibility of having one tomorrow. We know the #1 city on our choice list. We don't know the other cities. I've never been to Austin, and I haven't been to Santa Monica in years!!!!

Dname - commutes are almost always an hour, if it's not an hour or more it's not a commute. CA commutes would probably be at least that if not more. That's life, especially with suburbs.

ThunderThighs

Staff

AZGman wrote:I guess daj has gone whole woot.

Another WOOT zinger? Ive been freakishly busy, worn out, and fighting depression.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

KtCallista

ThunderThighs wrote:Another WOOT zinger? Ive been freakishly busy, worn out, and fighting depression.

Missing son?

Sick of dealing with family issues?

remedy - get PWA talking. It helps, it really does. At least for me, at least people are around, and at least when I can reach my keyboard.

I'm really sorry you're going through this. Depression sucks! We all miss you. Cruzer even tried smacking you to get you to come back (was that yesterday or the day before?)

ThunderThighs

Staff

KtCallista wrote:Missing son?

Sick of dealing with family issues?

remedy - get PWA talking. It helps, it really does. At least for me, at least people are around, and at least when I can reach my keyboard.

I'm really sorry you're going through this. Depression sucks! We all miss you. Cruzer even tried smacking you to get you to come back (was that yesterday or the day before?)

Lots of stuff going on. But yeah, bro is back in the hospital with a major infection. To keep him afloat, I've taken over his phone & health insurance. That's just the small thing. Tons of other stuff going on.

pooflady

KtCallista wrote:It's just what I'd heard a few years ago. If ya'all say I'm wrong, well I can be very happy being wrong! My school district was supposed to be the best in the state and it sucked, growing up, so....

Thanks for the commiserations. I was kinda raised to never turn down a opportunity today for the possibility of having one tomorrow. We know the #1 city on our choice list. We don't know the other cities. I've never been to Austin, and I haven't been to Santa Monica in years!!!!

Dname - commutes are almost always an hour, if it's not an hour or more it's not a commute. CA commutes would probably be at least that if not more. That's life, especially with suburbs.

Commutes here aren't usually an hour. Hardly ever.

pooflady

ThunderThighs wrote:Lots of stuff going on. But yeah, bro is back in the hospital with a major infection. To keep him afloat, I've taken over his phone & health insurance. That's just the small thing. Tons of other stuff going on.

I don't know if talking to us will help, but you know we'll be glad to listen. Promise, I won't even offer advice. I figure you're intelligent enough to know your options.

KtCallista

pooflady wrote:Commutes here aren't usually an hour. Hardly ever.

Wow, I didn't know there were still places like that. My dad commutes an hour when he starts his new job. My sister is slightly longer than that. Some people my dad used to work with had 2+ hour commutes. Yay for urban sprawl!

Even for the local jobs, Orc's looking at a 45 min commute or more if he doesn't go back to his old job, which he could walk to...

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:I don't know if talking to us will help, but you know we'll be glad to listen. Promise, I won't even offer advice. I figure you're intelligent enough to know your options.

I was telling the truth when I said I haven't had time to even lurk. I don't think I've read here for more than 15 total in the last 2-3 weeks.

Got the meeds upped so at least that is settling down. Pizza here. Laterz.

pooflady

KtCallista wrote:Wow, I didn't know there were still places like that. My dad commutes an hour when he starts his new job. My sister is slightly longer than that. Some people my dad used to work with had 2+ hour commutes. Yay for urban sprawl!

Even for the local jobs, Orc's looking at a 45 min commute or more if he doesn't go back to his old job, which he could walk to...

I wonder if Cruzer and GEG take an hour.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:I wonder if Cruzer and GEG take an hour.

Nope. I'd say 20 minutes.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
KtCallista wrote:Wow, I didn't know there were still places like that. My dad commutes an hour when he starts his new job. My sister is slightly longer than that. Some people my dad used to work with had 2+ hour commutes. Yay for urban sprawl!

i think in many mid-sized urban areas, it would depend on where the job is. if it's located in the heart of the city, then rush hour traffic could be a bear, but if the company is smart and picks a suburban location, it shouldn't be too difficult to live within a half hour of your job.

KtCallista

My sister's job she has to get on the interstate (which all the roads near are a bear, because they weren't designed to be covered in subdivisions which they are now) and then drive past downtown to the far side of the city, that's why her's is so long. My dad lives in what used to be the middle of no where and is now where all the new subdivisions are going.

ThunderThighs

Staff

There are 1139 school districts in Texas with 11 of them in the in the Austin area.

My school district services parts of 3 cities and it's a small school district on 13K students.

EDIT: Nap Time.

KtCallista

ThunderThighs wrote:There are 1139 school districts in Texas with 11 of them in the in the Austin area.

My school district services parts of 3 cities and it's a small school district on 13K students.

EDIT: Nap Time.

Thanks for the lists. We aren't moving yet, but we didn't pull our ap, so....

Great, if he gets a job there we're going to have to do the school choosing thing all over again!!!! I don't want to go through that stress again.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

KtCallista wrote:It's just what I'd heard a few years ago. If ya'all say I'm wrong, well I can be very happy being wrong! My school district was supposed to be the best in the state and it sucked, growing up, so....

True, the difference is, you aren't in the suburbs yet and can still go an hour!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

ThunderThighs wrote:Lots of stuff going on. But yeah, bro is back in the hospital with a major infection. To keep him afloat, I've taken over his phone & health insurance. That's just the small thing. Tons of other stuff going on.

Health stuff sucks because you can't control it.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:Health stuff sucks because you can't control it.

Have you had any wind or rain?

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:Have you had any wind or rain?

Clouds and bands of drizzle.
Hopefully it will miss daughter.

But the news guys are on all the time. They planned on the coverage, and damn it, they are going to do it! Even without the storm.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Hubby went to work and just came home, so if I'm gone, I went to eat.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:Clouds and bands of drizzle.
Hopefully it will miss daughter.

But the news guys are on all the time. They planned on the coverage, and damn it, they are going to do it! Even without the storm.

Yeah, they do the same thing here for severe thunderstorms. Hours on the air. Then they tell us we're "bad" if we object.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:Yeah, they do the same thing here for severe thunderstorms. Hours on the air. Then they tell us we're "bad" if we object.

But it missed us! Totally. It didn't even rain!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:But it missed us! Totally. It didn't even rain!

Doesn't matter. They have to tell us what might have happened and how lucky we are that it didn't and how lucky we are that they're there to tell us if it did.

pooflady

My perfect weather report (for normal days) would be to tell me what the temp and rainfall was today and what it's going to be for the next four or five days. That's it.

Iceback

I feel kinda bad with my 3 minute commute

Iceback

pooflady wrote:My perfect weather report (for normal days) would be to tell me what the temp and rainfall was today and what it's going to be for the next four or five days. That's it.

I agree with the addition of they should stick their freakin head out the window once and a while. I hate it when they say a 20% chace of showers when it is pouring @ 2"/hr.