clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd
Re: Nothing Beats the Monkey V2

I'm wondering why this isn't in the fog, and my only explanation is that many wooters must have irrational fears of little dancing monkeys. It's either that or the phonograph--those things can make pretty ominous shadows in the dark.

VeanMan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages VeanMan
ramyb wrote:I don't normally feel the need to respond to you, but there is a clear methodology represented in the design. I included a representation of Rosalind Franklin's xray crystallography experiment, basic double helix models, and then the up close molecular structure of the individual elements and base pairing. And considering that dancing flasks, arbitrary math equations and birds sitting on people's heads are all considered scientific method in this derby, I'd say I put in a pretty strong effort to make this on topic. And considering woot essentially said that putting a beaker on any shirt would make it on topic, I'd say that any tie to science of any sort should make things on topic this week. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assue you didn't recognize the elements in the design, rather than just choosing to ignore them.

They all just haters! Keep doing your thing, it's fantastic.

sexylittlerobot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages sexylittlerobot
Darquis wrote:Put your comment back, it was good!

haha; okay. I just hate being really pedantic but I fell in love with genetics in 8th grade so I will ramble..

mrwednesday wrote:
And to use this as a tie in to the scientific method is pretty weak anyway since rarely is the accepted method of science "steal someone else's data and use it to scoop their research."

isn't this how Watson and Crick came up with DNA's structure - stealing her pictures? As well as Chargraff's ideas... I'm glad you also pointed out that you couldn't see her picture in the design (I couldn't either). I think I recall reading that you work with genetics as well so I figured you'd catch that. I honestly would think that was pretty otterific(referencing Franklin, who died young and didn't receive the Nobel..) and could see that working into the scientific method theme if there were other references to the milestones of DNA discovery...like the Hershey/Chase experiments, Griffith and Avery....you could even go as far back as to the time when they separated the study of chromosomes from embryology - and of course, the great Mendel. All of those moments required use of the scientific method. :\ This is a really difficult theme...

edit: after staring at it for a while though; I did see Dr. Franklin's design wayyyy in the background which I found unfortunate as I still wish she had received more recognition during her (short) lifetime so I always think of her photograph as something that should be very prominent.

Siax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Siax
Re: Made of carbon

I dont see how this is related to the theme

Siax

Re: Atoms of Science

I just finished doing my calc HW and saw this
really good job, hope it gets foged

phantompeanut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phantompeanut
Siax wrote:I dont see how this is related to the theme

How is it not related, do you not see the carbon molecular structure there?

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
phantompeanut wrote:How is it not related, do you not see the carbon molecular structure there?

That's science. This is supposed to be scientific method: a theory, an experiment, someone hypothesizing an idea, trying out things. A carbon molecule on a shirt does none of these things.

Siax

Re: E=MC2 The Binary Einstein

if only.......if only

I studied and tried t learn binary code, had it down for a couple of weeks......but if you don't constantly decode these things you lose it.

I really wish more people understood this +1

sexylittlerobot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages sexylittlerobot

I don't know if this is 'on theme' or not but I'd just like to say I'd buy this shirt in an instant if it existed at this moment. Hilarious play on words

kuhan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kuhan
Re: Test Tube Baby

I have a feeling this is going to get rejected with the H, O, X, Y, etc. it may slip by though with how wmall they are.

a1crazykitty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages a1crazykitty
Re: from the hypothesis to the law

I think that it's both abstract and loosely tied to scientific method. A lot moreso than most of the shirt designs I've seen thus far for this derby.

kuhan

sgreenip wrote:Rejected . . . hmmph. Well, in my defense, the girl who asked me to draw something cute and said she liked it will be 4 years old in October.

you could always resubmit for a more appropriate derby.

kuhan

Re: Buck Music

I'd want one when you resubmit in a more appropriate derby :D

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
Re: Show Off!

Lion-o!!! I have a Lion-o action figure about a foot and a half away from me as I type this. Best show ever.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Re: x = pb j

This is a shirt I can stand behind, and a nice departure from your usual style. Good job

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost

Maybe a slight smattering of color either on the jelly or make it look like jelly got on the schematics, I think that would sell it even better, then it would also be applied science.

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck

must...have...lion-o...shirt...now...+1...

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
geekfactor12 wrote:Lion-o!!! I have a Lion-o action figure about a foot and a half away from me as I type this. Best show ever.

Yes geekfactor12, Thundercats brings back fond memories! I agree it was such a great show.

lucky1988

megsck wrote:must...have...lion-o...shirt...now...+1...

Cheers megsck! I loved their armored tank vehicle.

lucky1988

Great illustration and style!

lucky1988

Re: Dr. Badger made a Potion.

One of my favorites of yours. Really great characters and colors!

lucky1988

Re: Made of carbon

Looks terrific on the shirt! +1

radiomode

quality posts: 3 Private Messages radiomode

Love it love it love it love it

lucky1988

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
kuhan wrote:I have a feeling this is going to get rejected with the H, O, X, Y, etc. it may slip by though with how wmall they are.

I think the way the letters are used would fit woot's limited use of text this week - the flipside is, this shirt could easily be rejected for being off theme instead.

lucky1988

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
lucky1988 wrote:Cheers megsck! I loved their armored tank vehicle.

there are so many great things about that show, im just glad you didnt put snarf in there ;)

lucky1988

Re: Extreme Makeover

thanks everyone!

lucky1988

Re: Hypothisis is false...

cool illustration and style, love the cat's expression.

tattooeddecoy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tattooeddecoy

Go Girl!!! you are getting some votes

bassanimation

quality posts: 97 Private Messages bassanimation

Wow, I never thought a PBJ could look better than it already does. Great work!

kdeuce

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdeuce

Thunder, thunder, thunder, Thundercats HOOOOOOOO!
EFF yeah!

Norsemin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Norsemin
Re: Taco Math

Love the shirt, and as many others have said I might need to go get some tacos now. However, the reason I'm writing this is that the blacksmith in me says knives shouldn't have right angles connecting the blade to the tang (metal inside the handle). It hasn't stopped me from voting and won't stop me from buying, just wanted to throw that out there

kc6201

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kc6201

bpr2

quality posts: 175 Private Messages bpr2

*sighs* stop ruining the derbys.

that was fun while it lasted!

kc6201

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kc6201
Re: PreModern Contraption

This is pretty cool, but that guy is really creepy.

CityVelo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CityVelo

One thing to concern yerself about is the size of this.

I just got kdeuce's Akkorokamui-san and I'm seriously contemplating returning the shirt because the size of the design wasn't at all impressive with the resize to fit into the printing area. I remember voting enthusiastically for it because it was placed lower onto the shirt and crawled upward in a lovely way.

I like shirts that utilize the bottom of the shirt, but with Woot's print area, it leaves for a good chunk of negative space before the design sits... and then the design feels compromised.

Sorry this isn't necessarily about your specific design... but I felt as though it were a little necessary to bring up the possibility of resizing disappointment.

dearcricket

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dearcricket
tgentry wrote:What Is and What Should Never Be

We have the technology, but does that make it right?

I figured someone must have done this before but I couldn't find it anywhere else, possibly because the search parameters are so vague. If someone does know of a similar shirt please pass it along.

I enjoy this, but I wish it was in a derby that allowed words, cause I think it'd have more of an impact with this design saying like "Just because we can, Doesn't mean we should". But only cause More people would get it.

lucky1988

Ha, megsck never really cared much for that snarf character.

Cheers radiomode and kdeuce.

Thanks for the info CityVelo, much appreciated.
I hope you find a solution to your dilemma, because that is a very cool design.

lucky1988

Re: 5 Second Rule

Love the perspective of the design and your bacteria characters. The pretzel looks good enough to eat too. +1