YOU COULD LOSE THE TWO SMALLER WINDOWS BUT OTHERWISE ITS A PRETTY SWEET DESIGN

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
Re: Throw the switch!

Happy to see you resub it.

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
Re: Dr. Badger made a Potion.

is this a disney drug deal goin down? this is why you never except strange bottles of potion from adorable pastel colored animals. great job on the color, and you linework is fantastic! =)

megsck

Re: 5 Second Rule

as always you have another awwsome entry and funny concept this week!

i do want to add however that i think i liked your initial sketch much better because you could see your fantastic character designs better. i also think i would have preffered a little simpler detail, the grain on the floor is a little overpowering for me, but i get the point that we are seeing very small and the detail adds to that.

megsck

Re: She Blew Me Up With Science

very cute, there is something about the choice to put human hair on that lab rat that pluses this for me, haha. love the cats pose and i also agree that the placement and the shading are very nice =)

megsck

Re: research methodology

maybe if he created the f himself its now a logo, not text =) or i agree with darquis and say that its an equation. what i would worry about is that outside this derby people would just think i was a fb rep supporting the site =)

djfrozone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djfrozone
ichimunki wrote:Good for them. Woot is a business. Selling more shirts makes them more money, which means they will keep on selling these shirts! If they sell fewer shirts they have to either raise prices, pay artists less, or cut some other corners to keep shirt.woot alive.

My guess is that Woot has done the math on the data they have and concluded that shirts that get a lot of votes tend to sell well. Based on what they sell on non-derby days, I wish they would print only derby designs and only those that get top votes.

As far as this design: it's one of the best in the Derby.

I AGREE with this post and the last part. Who cares who the artist is?? IF he makes a desgin the users of woot want then who cares? i went through the whole derby and this is one of two shirts. I'd want and buy. thats the point. I think the anti-ramy movement is stronger than the lets just have fun movement. the last two weeks have been nothing but ramy bashing. this design is on point and flows with the theme and well executed.

This talk of changing the voting system for what??? so maybe that other shirt you like would get printed?? Is it really ramy's fault his designs sell here? (to the alleged vote gouging...paaahhaha.) If you dont like his shirt. you still have two more choices. So fall back. and enjoy the artists creations.

badgermaniac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages badgermaniac
Re: Order of Operations

Clever. I like it!

+1

megsck

Re: Nothing Beats the Monkey V2

i think my issue with it (and this is just a little things because i love the color, concept, and execution) is that my mind wants the progression to be in the opposite order, like it starts with what came first and then what that evolved into. i understand for this derby it has to be an equation, but i wish this was subbed in a different derby so that you didnt have to bother with the equations and just had the progression of musical apparatus. i think that is also why this isnt getting as much attention as it should, its not as scientific as most of the other shirts and that is what people are looking for this week. great job though and i hope you definitely resub this for another derby.

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
Re: Do plants grow better with music?

Is that supposed to be an olive tee? I feel like your color is way off.

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain
Re: Nature's Menage a Trois ver. 2

Very nicely done, but I'm afraid those H's and O's are gonna get you rejected

megsck

Spiritgreen wrote:
@megsck, it would have been acceptable if he had been landing on Snarf, don'tcha think? -_^

that would totally be acceptable =)

be10der2me

quality posts: 0 Private Messages be10der2me
odysseyroc wrote:You know you have a winning idea when the thumb doesn't work and it's solidly in the fog. Great work!

AMEN!

IgnatiusRiley

quality posts: 1 Private Messages IgnatiusRiley

That's some great stuff. Though the pretzel does remind me of poo.

megsck

Re: Order of Operations

so im gonna be really nit picky on this design only cause i would definitely buy this shirt if this one thing wasnt bothering me (damn my ocd and my father whos a mathmatician) but if you start out with the graham cracker divided by two, why are you adding another graham cracker divided by two at the end? seems like you wouldn't need that last graham cracker equation to get the perfect smore cause then the chocolate to cracker ratio would just be all off! =) also i wish the end result was a completed delicious looking smore instead of the smiley face. i understand this is in the fog and you probably arn't gonna change it now so i totally understand if you ignore me completely ;) but just some suggestions if this doesnt print and you resub it in the future =)

EDIT: so my dad explains to me that graham cracker divided by two means half a graham cracker, so now it makes sense to me to have two, even though to me it means a graham cracker divided in 2. this is also why i hate math, why can't they just be more straight forward! haha =) i still hold firm though on the final result be a tasty delicious smores!

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
Re: Show Off!

You must have been excited reading the first part of the write up and that is why you missed this at the end...

"Of course the Scientific Method is all about rules, like our omnipresent rule about not 'borrowing' copyrighted works or trademarked characters"

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain
Re: Repeatable Results Resubbed

I friggin' love this design. +1

megsck

Johndis5 wrote:You must have been excited reading the first part of the write up and that is why you missed this at the end...

"Of course the Scientific Method is all about rules, like our omnipresent rule about not 'borrowing' copyrighted works or trademarked characters"

this is called parody, this drawing of lion-o is neither copyrighted or trademarked by warner bros.

walmazan

quality posts: 63 Private Messages walmazan
Re: There’s no Chemistry

Despite your best methods. sometimes there’s no Chemistry

I hope you like it and support this version!

anjulka

quality posts: 5 Private Messages anjulka
Re: There’s no Chemistry

As I am about to marry a chemist next month, I don't like the theme of this shirt. That being said, it's well put together. I just hope you don't split votes. Maybe keep this out of the running unless v1 actually get rejected?

Johndis5

megsck wrote:this is called parody, this drawing of lion-o is neither copyrighted or trademarked by warner bros.

This drawing is not copyrighted. The character Lion-o is.

frik

quality posts: 1 Private Messages frik
Re: It's Totally Science

bummer.

No. Yes.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
megsck wrote:this is called parody, this drawing of lion-o is neither copyrighted or trademarked by warner bros.

Could you insert a regular cat and have the whole design be exactly the same?

megsck

solz22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages solz22
SeedUvPain wrote:Very nicely done, but I'm afraid those H's and O's are gonna get you rejected

Well technically it's part of formula h2o.. So hopefully it's allowed.. Plus I tried to make it look like it's part of them

Vote for me! <3 thanks

walmazan

anjulka wrote:As I am about to marry a chemist next month, I don't like the theme of this shirt. That being said, it's well put together. I just hope you don't split votes. Maybe keep this out of the running unless v1 actually get rejected?

Thanks anjulka! you are right, I was thinking take out the other, but your advice make sense to me

hewette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hewette
NameyMcName wrote:I think you would need to change how the strands cross over each other to represent the crystallography Rosalind Franklin did. She got x-rays of A- and B-DNA structures. The main strand here looks left-handed to me, which would make it Z-DNA. I'm not a scientist, though, so I could be wrong.

You are in fact correct, it's a left-handed helix but it's not even Z DNA, though, it's a mirror image of B DNA... not that anybody cares...

"|" psalmtree "|"

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
megsck wrote:i think my issue with it (and this is just a little things because i love the color, concept, and execution) is that my mind wants the progression to be in the opposite order, like it starts with what came first and then what that evolved into. i understand for this derby it has to be an equation, but i wish this was subbed in a different derby so that you didnt have to bother with the equations and just had the progression of musical apparatus. i think that is also why this isnt getting as much attention as it should, its not as scientific as most of the other shirts and that is what people are looking for this week. great job though and i hope you definitely resub this for another derby.

I was trying to go for a "Back in MY day things were better! We din' need no... whatchya call 'em? Ear buddies? Yeah! Real men didn't need ear buddies! In the good old days, we listened to a MONKEY WITH A BOX and we were THANKFUL. Goddamn kids today!" sort of thing.

megsck

Johndis5 wrote:This drawing is not copyrighted. The character Lion-o is.

actually the image of the character lion-o and his name are copyrighted. but as you can see, this can't be lion-o his glove color is off and the logo is totally different not to mention he is much bulkier and that jaw, well its just HUGE...this is obviously a drawing of his cousin folion-o

megsck

AdderXYU wrote:Could you insert a regular cat and have the whole design be exactly the same?

impossible =D

be10der2me

quality posts: 0 Private Messages be10der2me
AdderXYU wrote:It really isn't. It's just a hitchhiker's reference couched in some hideous glow and questionably executed drawing. This would not be in the fog without that. would you really wear this if it was a dolphin and a small cactus?

One more case of wholly unattractive being covered up by geek-ref.

Mr. Negative strikes again!
I love it Diana so keep up the good work for all your fans!

megsck

BootsBoots wrote:I was trying to go for a "Back in MY day things were better! We din' need no... whatchya call 'em? Ear buddies? Yeah! Ear buddies are for grape! In the good old days, we listened to a MONKEY WITH A BOX and we were THANKFUL. Goddamn kids today!" sort of thing.

haha, well when you put it that way, i quite agree!

walmazan

Re: Chemistry

Uff! after a long night, I just finish the new version, I hope you can support this!

and I will wait a little bit until take out this version

WindRunner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages WindRunner
Re: x = pb j

Beautiful! Would compliment the "PB+J music factory" woot shirt I have quite well...

Also, I think this alone is good reason for having an architecture/engineering-styled derby, by the way.

megsck

Re: Free Fall Test

nice job diana, love the reference. keep on truckin!

Johndis5

megsck wrote:actually the image of the character lion-o and his name are copyrighted. but as you can see, this can't be lion-o his glove color is off and the logo is totally different not to mention he is much bulkier and that jaw, well its just HUGE...this is obviously a drawing of his cousin folion-o

megsck wrote:must...have...lion-o...shirt...now...+1...

Obviously folion-o

arpayton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arpayton

BootsBoots

megsck wrote:actually the image of the character lion-o and his name are copyrighted. but as you can see, this can't be lion-o his glove color is off and the logo is totally different not to mention he is much bulkier and that jaw, well its just HUGE...this is obviously a drawing of his cousin folion-o

I think the point is that in the theme write up, it kind of said "please no more using copyrighted characters, we're sick of it." I took it that way, anyway. The point isn't whether this is legally printable as parody or not (it obviously falls under parody). The point is that it's parodying a copyrighted character, which seemed to be kind of a no-no this time around. Although, the write-ups are many times kind of vague, and I'm not sure if it was a rule or just a suggestion.

Not trying to bring any poo-pooing to your design, Lucky. You know I always dig your style. It just seemed like this argument was going around in circles of misunderstanding, and I thought I'd try to help clear it up.

BootsBoots

megsck wrote:haha, well when you put it that way, i quite agree!

!

Cantatus

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Cantatus
Re: Duck Beaver Science = .....oh my god..

Unfortunately, this might fall under similar shirts exist.