ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
tedschopf wrote:Woot won't reject the shirt. Woot rarely rejects shirts that are in the fog. And you have to look at this economically. If people vote for it, then they want the shirt. Is it in Woot's best interest to reject a shirt that a lot of people want? No, since if this wins they will sell a lot more of it since people want it because they voted for it.

you musta missed last week.

BaldBob007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007
SnowQueenVT wrote:Thats funny!

mrscat206 wrote:Ohmydeargoodness this was my high school chem class to a T - my lab partners spent the whole lab melting pens in the bunsen burner then wondered why our results came out wrong *sigh*

otterific shirt.

lucky1988 wrote:Hilarious! Love his terrified expression.

Thanks again! And, mrscat, I apologize for resembling your lab partners. Although, I don't believe I would have wondered about the results... ;)

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
mikenytola wrote:To be fair, the same thing could be said of all the designs with test tubes in them this week. We just don't see people carrying on and on and on about it to them.

it's quite different when your in the fog, as said many times by other people. but you don't care about that do you. because you've beeen here long enough to know that.you just want to have something to say.you don't look smarter to others for saying it,in fact the exact opposite.

beaterbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beaterbar
BootsBoots wrote:I think the point is that in the theme write up, it kind of said "please no more using copyrighted characters, we're sick of it." I took it that way, anyway. The point isn't whether this is legally printable as parody or not (it obviously falls under parody). The point is that it's parodying a copyrighted character, which seemed to be kind of a no-no this time around. Although, the write-ups are many times kind of vague, and I'm not sure if it was a rule or just a suggestion.

Not trying to bring any poo-pooing to your design, Lucky. You know I always dig your style. It just seemed like this argument was going around in circles of misunderstanding, and I thought I'd try to help clear it up.

I think this is the point with last derby's mega rejection of anything remotely copyrighted. Hopefully it is a trend. I might end up buying more woot shirts. The sad thing about this one is I'd be 1000 times more likely to buy it (though similar shirts exist) if it was a regular cat. I think we should call a pander a pander and acknowledge that liono was slapped on to get nostalgia votes.

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
ichimunki wrote:Good for them. Woot is a business. Selling more shirts makes them more money, which means they will keep on selling these shirts!

Shirt.Woot is a shirt site. If they wanted to, they could sell "Team Edward" and "Team Jacob" shirts all day, and they'd make a killing. I doubt you'd like that. It's not just about sales. Quality should factor as well. McDonald's and Burger King are not the two best restaurants in the US.

As far as this design: it's one of the best in the Derby.

Eh... well, to each their own. The best I can say is that it's not Ramyb's worst.

DrWurm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DrWurm
forstycup wrote:I'm not sure I understand what is going on in the design. You have the molecule structure, which seems to be turning into a sky blue plant. There is what looks to be a butterfly to the right of it.

His point is that all life is carbon based. So you have carbon blending into plants blending into an animal. I like it a lot. Frankly, I couldn't care less if it doesn't fit the theme perfectly. It's a cool shirt and I will buy it if it is printed.

indihar

quality posts: 7 Private Messages indihar
Re: x = pb j

tjost

Re: x = pb j

Maybe a slight smattering of color either on the jelly or make it look like jelly got on the schematics, I think that would sell it even better, then it would also be applied science.

I agree. Can you add a "splash" (or, maybe, a "splat!") of color to this? Like purple over the grapes/jelly, and brown over the peanuts/pb? Seems like it would make the shirt "pop!" a bit more.

kimipel89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimipel89
Re: That Has to Hurt

that was so funny, my roommate herd me laughing so hard she ran in like what is all the "loling" about! hahahahahaha!

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain
Re: Number Nine

Think unsexy thoughts...think unsexy thoughts...

forstycup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages forstycup
DrWurm wrote:His point is that all life is carbon based. So you have carbon blending into plants blending into an animal. I like it a lot. Frankly, I couldn't care less if it doesn't fit the theme perfectly. It's a cool shirt and I will buy it if it is printed.

Did you miss the second half of that post? I was saying it was a cool idea, I just don't understand the execution.

Siax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Siax
Re: There’s no Chemistry

being that I would wear this.....I would like to ask how you made the reflection lines? it just looks sooo cool

joshuajmasters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshuajmasters
Siax wrote:if only.......if only

I studied and tried t learn binary code, had it down for a couple of weeks......but if you don't constantly decode these things you lose it.

I really wish more people understood this +1

Thanks so much... I really appreciate your support

vorteks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vorteks
Re: Double Helix

Very cool. It seems to me that it *may* be off theme (yes, it's science-y, but is it about the scientific process?). But I've voted for it anyway, because I would definitely wear it. I'd like to have some more non-cartoonie Woot! shirts.

spilzer

quality posts: 119 Private Messages spilzer
clarinerd wrote:Hmmm, suddenly Ramy's DNA shirt seems a lot more on theme.

My thought exactly.

bumblebebe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bumblebebe
Re: Albert Funkenstein and The Scientific Method!

Pavlov on the cow bell- I totally get it! But for the record, I hate Sigmund Freud. Though, no one ever likes bass players...

Would be really funny with Steven Hawking on the 'talk box.' But this is positively algebraic. I love it.

kadou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kadou
Re: Test Tube Baby

This is a good concept on a nice looking design. I would have gone for a green baby with blue and yellow parents or some other combination where the mix of the parents' colors makes the color of the baby.

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan

Beautiful work...

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain
Re: Taco Math

I will do whatever i can to help in your quest of getting a taco on a derby shirt. I shall not rest!!! unless it's nighttime...or if i'm sleepy

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
Re: Hi 6

Will this cost $10 in base 12 dollars?

jel2301

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jel2301
acidtwix wrote:adder get a life man, i don't ever really post on here, but after seeing all of your flaming i wanted to say something. this shirt is pretty cool, and i'm pretty sure i'm not going to care if it's on-topic or off-topic when i wear it. the design is cool period.

So the only criterion that should be used to decide if a design should be printed is if it's cool?

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
bumblebebe wrote:Pavlov on the cow bell- I totally get it! But for the record, I hate Sigmund Freud. Though, no one ever likes bass players...

Would be really funny with Steven Hawking on the 'talk box.' But this is positively algebraic. I love it.

Actually Darwin's on Bass and Freud's on drums. I'm not a fan of Freud myself but his look is funny to draw. Try googling pics of him and you will see what I mean. And those are his real glasses. In pics I saw they look like gag ones.

I thought of Steven Hawkings but he seemed more new school. Maybe he can be in a "boy band" version with Carl Saegan and other comtempories.

anjulka

quality posts: 5 Private Messages anjulka

I am disappointed that you removed v1. If you ever print it elsewhere, please let me know. It had been my derby favorite.

bmelnyk0

quality posts: 41 Private Messages bmelnyk0
Re: 5 Second Rule

Man I really hope this wins, great design and hilarious, great job!!!!

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
mgarns wrote:Cool t shirt but you need do more research into DNA. The standard Beta form of DNA has a right hand twist yours is a left hand twist. If you are trying to represent zDNA the standard model would not fit as the major and minor grooves look completely different due to changes in Hydrogen bonding

When you look at the design, which of these two configurations do you visualize?

I realized that there is an ambiguity in the design in this regard, so I thought perhaps we were seeing two different things.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

That pretzel is crazy good and those are the cutest germs I've ever seen. Waffles in NYC? Where and when!

fishbiscuit5

Re: Albert Funkenstein and The Scientific Method!

otterific illo! Love the color combo.

midgerock

wonderful design and rendering. well done!

fishbiscuit5

Re: The Experiment: Happiness is...

Cute one, Jas! I would pick ice cream.

midgerock

Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice

I love this so much! Thank you for creating this! yes, I am a geek.

phantompeanut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phantompeanut
Re: Made of carbon

I couldn't care less if the shirt fits the theme, I want to wear it. The themed shirts are usually pretty stupid anyway.

fishbiscuit5

Re: Dr. Badger made a Potion.

Adorable characters, SnowQueen!

solarhands

quality posts: 2 Private Messages solarhands
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice

Doesn't seem on topic IMO. No science, only probability. Even if there were science, certainly no scientific method.

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
ChefRAZ wrote:it's quite different when your in the fog, as said many times by other people. but you don't care about that do you. because you've beeen here long enough to know that.you just want to have something to say.you don't look smarter to others for saying it,in fact the exact opposite.

That's funny, "Test Tube Baby" is in the fog, is it not? Do you see people carrying on and on over there? Who's the one here trying to look smarter than they are and just wants something to say? Nice try though. k thx boi

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62

I finally came up with an idea actually worth submitting.

Re: Experimentation and Observation

Inspired by those classic science fiction tales where the hapless traveler(s) crash in a land of creatures of enormous size, this poor soul was caught and is now being experimented on by giant amoebas.

Six colors on navy: black, white, cream, aqua, seafoam and gray.

I hope people like it.
PLEASE leave feedback.

sasham62

Re: M F=MJ

Yeah, I'd have to give this one a big no. The guy's dead. Give him a break.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Re: The Impatient Aviator

It just had to be a caterpillar, huh?. That just make this piece so funny. I dig it.

Also, the leaf is really cool. I love its design. Well done!

kc6201

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kc6201

I think I like this one better!

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Re: Test Tube Baby

I love this one, but there is something that constantly bothers me. Someone may have already address this, but doesn't red and blue make green? The dude should be blue and the baby should be green in my opinion,adding that little artist joke in there.

Still a superb job as always!

Edit: I am dumb- blue and yellow make green... Whatever, I just mean use the color wheel to create the baby.

sasham62

I love this, and I think the countdown is absolutely necessary for the shirt to really make sense, but at the same time, by all rights, it should get rejected for text.
:-(

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
vorteks wrote:Very cool. It seems to me that it *may* be off theme (yes, it's science-y, but is it about the scientific process?). But I've voted for it anyway, because I would definitely wear it. I'd like to have some more non-cartoonie Woot! shirts.

Thanks for the vote, and I'm glad you like the design. I wanted to try one more time though to explain why I think this design is on topic, as well as offer some thoughts about the theme in general. I know this won't stop any arguing (in fact, I am sure it will only serve to fuel the fire), but I will try my best to stay out of it as much as possible after this. I think people are getting stuck on the fact that this isn't much changed from the original, but please keep in mind that the original design was about scientific discovery in the first place. The changes that I made were to broaden the scope of the shirt to be about the study of DNA in general, which is why I added the specific molecular structures, as well as the representation of xray crystallography, which was a specific experiment in the study of DNA.

That said, the theme this week is "The Scientific Method." It is difficult for people to differentiate between this and "experimenting." Although experiments fall under the greater category of scientific method, that's not what the topic is. Designs shouldn't need to show the experimental process to be on topic. The scientific method encompasses all parts of the process: question, hypothesis, testing, results, conclusion, etc. Designs can include any one or all of these aspects. For example, tgentry's donut design is showing results of some sort. There is no question or hypothesis or experiment or anything involved, just a zoom in on a donut. Spiritgreen's design is showing the testing portion, without anything else. Very few designs show all of the parts of the scientific method, most simply choose one and run with it. And while I still believe that there are many off topic entries (simple math and test tubes=/scientific method), woot even expressed that they intend to be lenient with this theme in the writeup, since they essentially said they will take anything with a beaker on it.

The analogy was made to woot doing a derby about cooking. In that case, designs could include people washing vegetables, cutting meats, throwing things over a fire, heating something in the microwave, etc., but eating is not part of the process of cooking. With themes like this, the entire scope has to be considered when viewing entries. In this case, the theme extends beyond what most people are thinking about. It's possible that the way I interpreted the theme was not woot's intention, but I'd argue that they chose the wrong name and description for the theme if they weren't looking to allow such a broad range of designs.

I don't think that saying this design is on topic is even a stretch in any way. There's a lot going on in the design, and I encourage anyone who doubts that it is on topic to take a closer look and pick out the individual elements of the design. The design shows a progression of thought, and results of on experiment leading to another. I never said that I made changes so drastic that nobody would recognize the original, only that the design is on topic. I think it's more wearable, more generally relevant, and easier to understand thematically than the original with the changes that I made, but comparing small thumbnails of this to the original won't yield you anything in terms of understanding where I tried to go with the design. Subtle changes can be effective in changing the idea behind a design, but not if they are dismissed.

I'm sorry to respond specifically to your post, but I wanted to make this statement in general. A lot of people say that they don't care if this is on topic, but I do and I believe that it is.