tedschopf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tedschopf
jel2301 wrote:So the only criterion that should be used to decide if a design should be printed is if it's cool?

Sounds good to me.

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62
Re: Cellular Technology

Unfortunately, all those little symbols on those buttons are text that's not a formula.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Re: There’s no Chemistry

Great job as always. I truly do like it, but I can't help but wonder... why did you remove the previous one? That one seemed solid too, and I am somewhat boggled behind the actions that took place.

Again, great job and hopefully this one will works it way up quickly.

tedschopf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tedschopf
colinm09 wrote:This is a horrendous view. And this is as generic a shirt as there can be. I'm not sure why this is the scientific method. For all of you people who say "It has carbon on it and the only way you know what carbon looks like is the scientific method"...seriously? How far are you willing to stretch the rules? (Seeing how popular Ramy's stuff is, I guess pretty far)

It's Woot's call, and they have't removed it yet. It's a sweet shirt that I'd wear, so it got my vote.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 209 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Dr. Badger made a Potion.

D'awww! So sweet. I think you've been taking the sugar tablets this week, SQ. ^______^

Got my vote.

dad1758

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dad1758
Re: Scientifically Wrong

detail is waht this picture is all about and why color is not an option. can you find the hidden shots?

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
radiomode wrote:You find out about molecule structure by scientific method. It does not have to be so in-your-face.

Personally I think that's too lose an interpretation, so I won't vote for the shirt. But I do like the design, so good luck

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 209 Private Messages Spiritgreen
graffd02 wrote:The world's geekiest thing... are we talking about DnD or Science/Math?... :D thanks

I've heard it both ways. :D

badgermaniac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages badgermaniac
Re: Reproducing Results

My bad. That's supposed to be SIX colors on Royal Blue. (Black, Yellow, White, Red, Green, Dark Green)

Darquis

ichimunki wrote:Good for them. Woot is a business. Selling more shirts makes them more money, which means they will keep on selling these shirts! If they sell fewer shirts they have to either raise prices, pay artists less, or cut some other corners to keep shirt.woot alive.

My guess is that Woot has done the math on the data they have and concluded that shirts that get a lot of votes tend to sell well. Based on what they sell on non-derby days, I wish they would print only derby designs and only those that get top votes.

As far as this design: it's one of the best in the Derby.

A few various things.

Votes don't equal sales. CMDixon's Nightlife outsold the shirt which placed above it in their Derby by more than 3 times (and 1700 sales is not shabby). Adder has done the math on how other double take derby prints sell in comparison to things (do you still have that thread somewhere, Adder?)

Woot is in no danger, unless something has drastically changed, of not selling enough shirts if they don't just print kawaii or whatever the "in thing" is. Over time they've increased, not decreased, artist payout (to the point where 3rd and 1st get the same money..time for a pay increase?) and pricing has remained static. That means that they're in no danger, and they certainly didn't have to go all kawaii to get to the last time they increased artist money. So no, just being greedy (not that they are, but that's the easiest description) is not necessary for woot to flourish.

Plus, if they do become the kawaii/reference shirt seller, there will be customers who leave or become infrequent, at best, purchasers. Without variety woot loses both customers and interest - if I am a person who doesn't want a shirt with animals with big eyes doing inappropriate things or another HHG/Dr. Who/Monty Python shirt, I might stay over at Tilteed or GoodJoe or somewhere else. Woot doesn't want that, woot wants me here.

Also, there is absolutely no guarantee that a derby winner/placer will do well (Bad Directions undersold it's vote) or that a daily will do badly (It Came Out of Nowhere, This is How I Roll).

Darquis

Spiritgreen wrote:I've heard it both ways. :D

No you haven't, Shawn. ;)

Darquis

clarinerd wrote:This could be a stupid idea but what about having one of those old fashioned scales with the monkey (larger) on one side being heavier than all of the other devices stacked up on the other side, showing that the monkey is better than every other music player put together.

I know it'd be a lot of work...but this is dead on, and it would look more like experimentation than just the formula laid out. I like this idea a lot!

Darquis

tedschopf wrote:Woot rarely rejects shirts that are in the fog. And you have to look at this economically. If people vote for it, then they want the shirt. Is it in Woot's best interest to reject a shirt that a lot of people want? No, since if this wins they will sell a lot more of it since people want it. The shirts with the most votes are the best sellers since people want them.

That's a bit of specious logic...but it is true that shirts that fog are more LIKELY to sell a decent amount of shirts. Unfortunately, the "few fog rejections" stands true - I don't know what motivates that, but it is rather annoying at times.

Darquis

Spiritgreen wrote:Brilliant. You flipped this on its head, and now it's not close at all to existing shirts.

Very clever and it looks great. ^_^ Gmv.

I agree, you definitely made this design a ton better. I'm still dubious about the theme, but I suppose a "well, they tried, and these chemicals just don't mix" might fly. Good luck!

Darquis

Re: Number Nine

I'm not sure what your scientific method is here but um...I have a feeling that theme isn't going to be an issue. I'm pretty sure woot will reject this because of what it resembles...

Darquis

midgerock wrote:After years of scientific pursuit the boys, sick of the smell of rubber and rats, got together to form the band. Secretly longing for some action. Chuck could play a mean bass. And surprisingly Sig had rhythm. Tom is electrifying on the lead guitar. While Ivan is there to play the ever loving cow bell. And of course headlining is the man with the golden voice Albert Funky Funky Funkenstein! Put your hands together and make some noise! I can't hear you!!!

Pairing Pavlov/bell and Edison/Electric guitar was inspired. And Freud really reminds me of another famous drummer for some reason: Animal. Nicely done. I hope it passes the theme muster!

Darquis

tedschopf wrote:It's Woot's call, and they have't removed it yet. It's a sweet shirt that I'd wear, so it got my vote.

Last week they removed an entry 20 minutes before votes closed. If you're trying to say it still being unrejected means it's ok, that's erroneous.

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
Re: Curiosity Kills V2

yep love it now. she doesn't look like she'll go to jail now. but I bet he gets a black eye or two. )

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Re: Albert Funkenstein and The Scientific Method!

Your stuff always cracks me up!

luptor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luptor
chumpmagic wrote:Thanks, I appreciate the positive feedback, and I am glad you like it.

Also, did you happen to get my private message... there is some good news in there. And I greatly appreciate your message and all the support you have provided!

Yes got the msg (although took me a while to locate the illusive inbox). That is wonderful news, reorder placed!

Darquis

mikenytola wrote:Adder, you bring beating a dead horse to a whole new level. Open a window, walk outside, get laid, whatever. You can make your point in one or two posts, the extent that you go shows how weak your arguing is.

And attacking the poster rather than his points clearly make yours very strong.

Darquis

mikenytola wrote:To be fair, the same thing could be said of all the designs with test tubes in them this week. We just don't see people carrying on and on and on about it to them.

Ok, so Ramy gets more attention than most, and some people are calling out other shirts. It doesn't mean the critiques are more or less valid

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: Curiosity Kills V2

Your entry each week is a treat to see. The emotion in the little girl really comes through. Excellent design!

Wizzr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wizzr

And you thought his decision to ask for a cheeseburger came lightly.

Re: SciCatist

indihar

quality posts: 7 Private Messages indihar
Re: Show Off!

megsck

actually the image of the character lion-o and his name are copyrighted. but as you can see, this can't be lion-o his glove color is off and the logo is totally different not to mention he is much bulkier and that jaw, well its just HUGE...this is obviously a drawing of his cousin folion-o

Sorry...just not seeing this cousin "Folion-o..."

Am, however, definitely seeing cousin "Jaylion-o..."

Must be the chin...

:D

Wizzr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wizzr
Re: Lab Rat

I think whats missing, and would make this a lot stronger, is the mouse interacting with the people. It feels like "here's mouse doing chemistry, oh by the way here are some people in a cage." It needs the connection for the juxtaposition to be more clear.

bmelnyk0

quality posts: 41 Private Messages bmelnyk0
sasham62 wrote:I love this, and I think the countdown is absolutely necessary for the shirt to really make sense, but at the same time, by all rights, it should get rejected for text.
:-(

Read the rules, NUMBERS, and equations are allowed, if it gets rejected for text it be for the ... not the numbers

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
Re: Feline Intelligence

I was assuming this shirt was a reference to the experiment on simian intelligence, in which they basically gave the monkeys a variety of things they could climb if assembled, and hung bananas from a string in the ceiling. Sure enough, the monkeys figured it out.

If I'm correct in thinking that's the reference, at least as far as theme goes this is more on-topic than pretty much everything in the fog at the moment, some of which seem to have mistaken this for a mathematical formula derby and the rest for a derby about showing the end result of the scientific method.

How come nobody's done a shirt on drylabbing? Now THAT would be funny...

snarkygal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
ramyb wrote:saved

You always do this "saved"..why don't you write something? Explain your design or thought process...or just don't even bother..just my .02

itschool

quality posts: 0 Private Messages itschool
macedu wrote:And it's actually one of the very few that are on topic so far. Most are just Science based shirts, but the topic is the Scientific Method which is infinitely harder to base a shirt on.

Just looking at the current Fog there are 2 equation shirts, 2 of beakers/flasks, 1 picture of Darwin, and one of a donut...lol I actually like the shirts but it's obviously hard to stay strictly on topic this time.

As a high school biology teacher I completely agree. Since we recently covered the scientific method I was so excited with this weeks theme that I told my students about shirt.woot and suggested they check it out. On Monday we will talk about the theme and this entry would be my first choice.
Hopefully shirt.woot will have some new fans/
customers. Good luck ramyb

itschool

quality posts: 0 Private Messages itschool
itschool wrote:As a high school biology teacher I completely agree. Since we recently covered the scientific method I was so excited with this weeks theme that I told my students about shirt.woot and suggested they check it out. On Monday we will talk about the theme and this entry would be my first choice.
Hopefully shirt.woot will have some new fans/
customers. Good luck ramyb

I forgot the most important thing. HE SHOULD BE WEARING SAFETY GOGGLES !!! I still love the design.

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
Darquis wrote:And attacking the poster rather than his points clearly make yours very strong.

I actually made some points on how I did not think much changed in this design and didn't necessarily disagree with his points, but the woot mod was being l@me and delete happy. I even mentioned MrWed and how he brought up a good point. He's somebody I have had words with many times and I was agreeing with what he said. I even said that this should probably be rejected.

So I'm not quite sure where you are going with this one, other than jumping to conclusions. Adder made his points, I'm just saying, move on already. His bloated posts and constant repetition is getting very old and has for a very long time now. Thus he's beating a dead horse above and beyond. This makes his "arguing" weak. I did not say his "argument" was weak. There is a difference.

NameyMcName

quality posts: 10 Private Messages NameyMcName
ramyb wrote:When you look at the design, which of these two configurations do you visualize?

I realized that there is an ambiguity in the design in this regard, so I thought perhaps we were seeing two different things.

I also mentioned earlier that it looked like the left-handed form you show there on the right. If you look at the first place the two strands cross over on the bottom, you can see shading under the one that goes from bottom right to upper left, making it look like it goes over the top.

absoloote0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages absoloote0
Re: Eureka!!!!

My third entry YAY!!! Any suggestions for improvement and comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking/voting

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
SeedUvPain wrote:Think unsexy thoughts...think unsexy thoughts...

Is it working? Because it's not working for me.

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
absoloote0 wrote:My third entry YAY!!! Any suggestions for improvement and comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking/voting

The no text rule generally includes punctuation or anything that's found on a keyboard.

The design doesn't need it anyway, so you might want to resub without it.

jamison25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamison25

The Energizer bunny has nothing on this spud. This classic science show experiment is a reminder that you can learn more than just the time using potato power.

sstrunks5555

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sstrunks5555
mjc613 wrote:Very close to a shirt woot already printed. It's also off-topic. To be fair, there are other entries that are merely science-related, instead of scientific-method related, that woot has not rejected. But it's still Friday afternoon.

Ramyb, you already have something in this derby that IS on topic and good artwork imo. Why are you throwing in something that is a rework?

Yeah, that's the shirt I thought of immediately.

mogli75

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mogli75
Re: There’s no Chemistry

Amazing! This I love this version.

sogj

quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj
Re: A Generation of Learning

I am so confused...... :/

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.