u4edot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages u4edot

My chemistry isn't that grate, but don't carbon molecules always have four bonds?

parrotworks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks
Re: x = pb j

I'm curious. Was this hand drawn and scanned?

mindputtee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mindputtee
aroughnah wrote:Argh! Electrons are not little particles whizzing around on lines... Besides that, great shirt

Haha I know, I'm actually a chem major, but the lines are representative of the energy levels the electrons can exist at, it might be hard to see, but there is a small s orbital w/ 2 electrons, then a larger px orbital with two as well and then a py and pz orbital with 1 electron each, as in the ground state configuration of carbon. This modeling of an atom is used because while it might not be as technically accurate it is easier to describe bonding from this point of view.

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
rjohnson313 wrote:Wow... Guess this shouldn't be a shocker. But it's still so disheartening, and given the history I'd be naive to give ramy the benefit of the doubt here. Thanks for finding this...

I'm a late Baby Boomer, so I've been around for a while - this isn't a new idea - it wasn't a new idea when the artists did it over at Threadless - if you think RamyB directly copied this design, say so! I have made this point before: very little of what is done in the fine arts is totally original. Plagarism depends on deliberately or inadvertently copying anothers work. The Threadless artists thought they were being original - if what they wrote is sincere - but it's not original, but I doubt they copied their design. I don't know if RamyB plagarized this - if he did, someone needs to take real action instead of whining about it. I'm not an artist - just a crazy science teacher that likes cool t-shirts to wear at school. I get tired of the ad hominem attacks - if you've got evidence of malfeasance, PLEASE do something about it! Get the WOOT gods to do something about it! This derby is about the scientific method - that method demands that you back up what you say with evidence. I wish I could find all the times I've seen this done with rats running humans through a maze or rats doing things to humans in the lab - most of it probably isn't recorded for easy access on the internet.

mindputtee

Re: double helix rainbow

How many colors is this? It looks like more than 6 and you are limited to 6 plus the shirt color.

cammycam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cammycam
SeedUvPain wrote:I googled "Science Myths" and everywhere i turned the 5-second rule popped up...or 10-seconds depending on how hungry you are and the deliciousness of the dropped food item. This is an observation of the secret lives of bacteria as they exist on our floors. As it turns out, they abide by the same arbitrary scientific rules that we do.

Thanks to everyone in the forum for the pre-derby response (especially OdysseyRoc and Wootvan). Cheers

Hey, what editing software do you use to turn your initial sketch into a digital graphic. I want to submit a design, but I don't know how to move it past just a drawing.

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: There’s no Chemistry

I love both versions! +1

lucky1988

Re: Free Fall Test

Cool design. I didn't even know it was a "Hicthhiker's" reference. I've heard about it, but never seen the movie.

lucky1988

Re: Bee Careful

very cute!

lucky1988

Re: Zu Chongzhi's estimate

great graphic and color combo!

parrotworks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks
mindputtee wrote:How many colors is this? It looks like more than 6 and you are limited to 6 plus the shirt color.

It's only six. I reused a lot purple in the backdrop grunge.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: Albert Funkenstein and The Scientific Method!

need more love here guys!
hook a brutha up!

mindputtee

parrotworks wrote:It's only six. I reused a lot purple in the backdrop grunge.

In that case, I commend you! It's impressive to make the illusion of more colors out of very few.

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 11 Private Messages SeedUvPain
cammycam wrote:Hey, what editing software do you use to turn your initial sketch into a digital graphic. I want to submit a design, but I don't know how to move it past just a drawing.

Sent you a message. Check your inbox

sharkswithlasers349

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharkswithlasers349

The colors are great, the design is great, and I'm a nerd, so I would wear this shirt all the time.

bmjayne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmjayne

This is pretty neat! I really like all the layers in this design. It feels like I'm moving through an artistic virtual timeline of DNA research as the understanding of it becomes more and more clear (and more and more prominent in the design). I also like how the fragments of molecules and strands correlate to the process of putting the pieces together, as in the process of discovery.

Great job! If it makes it through rejection and voting (and these relentless comments! Sheesh!) I'm in for one!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 222 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Bee Careful

This is very fun & cute. Sweet design, Limonmix!

posture

quality posts: 0 Private Messages posture
Re: Atoms of Science

I love this, the color I would not wear though. I'd have to break though walls every time I wore it.

Spiritgreen

Nice work! Really clever arrangement, it's fashionable and readable and all packed into the same tight space.

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62
paigeg wrote:I think the perspective is off a bit, but I love the idea. Of course, with amoebeas (amoebii?), maybe perspective doesn't matter.

Hi, paigeg. If you're talking about the eyes on the amoeba, they're not what I'd originally intended, but I only had so much space and wanted a clearly identified eye at the top of the microscope, so I decided, "with amoebae, maybe eye size doesn't matter." ;-)
Thanks for the comment.

SnowQueenVT wrote:The drawing here is very cool Shasham! I especially like the guy, nice!

He should summon up some strength and make a break for it !!!

Thanks, SnowQueen. Just remember, breaking loose from giant cellophane tape isn't as easy as it looks.

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Extreme Makeover

hahahahahahahahahhahahha! love it! +1

sasham62

Re: Triple Point

clarinerd wrote:Some people like their muffins under-done.
Some people like their muffins golden brown.
Some people like their muffins burnt.

I like my muffins chocolate chip.

sasham62

bmelnyk0 wrote:Read the rules, NUMBERS, and equations are allowed, if it gets rejected for text it be for the ... not the numbers

You're right. I just rechecked that. Sorry.

rjohnson313

quality posts: 8 Private Messages rjohnson313
grahamcrackercoyote wrote:I'm a late Baby Boomer, so I've been around for a while - this isn't a new idea - it wasn't a new idea when the artists did it over at Threadless - if you think RamyB directly copied this design, say so! I don't know if RamyB plagarized this - if he did, someone needs to take real action instead of whining about it. I'm not an artist - just a crazy science teacher that likes cool t-shirts to wear at school. I get tired of the ad hominem attacks - if you've got evidence of malfeasance, PLEASE do something about it! Get the WOOT gods to do something about it!

If this were any other artist, I would totally see where you're coming from. It's just with this particular artist, this happens just about every single derby he enters. So it's much harder to brush it off as coincidence... And I agree, something needs to be done about it. I've been lurking here for quite a while, but finally felt compelled to say something, to "whine," because I see so many others pointing this out time and again with no results... Adding my voice to the chorus is my attempt to make the "woot gods," as you say, pay attention. What "real action" do you suggest I take, beyond using my voice and using the tattle button?

Spiritgreen

Darquis wrote:A bit exaggerated, I think. We can have shirts without pop culture references. This Spiritgreen guy did one, for example

Ha. It's funny, I showed my design to a couple of friends and they were all "Hey, the hungry caterpillar."

People -expect- a reference. They see them even when they aren't there. :p

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 11 Private Messages SeedUvPain
midgerock wrote:need more love here guys!
hook a brutha up!

I keep coming back to this one, wanting to comment but not really knowing how to say it. Your style is so intriguing. It looks well-worn, as if you lifted the images from an old magazine or something. I think it's the quality of the lines and the colors you use, but there's something about it that makes it look classic. it's like a really good album: the first spin will make you feel like you've been listening to it your whole life.

What i'm trying to say is that I like it

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
littleclyde wrote:Though the style is totally different, the composition is eerily similar to this

When I came up with the idea, I did a very extensive search to see if there were any similar shirts out there and found none. Finding shirts that were submitted but never printed, and three years ago no less, at another site is unfortunately very difficult to track down. That design came long before my time either on woot or threadless, so it's just an unfortunate case of two designers coming up with similar ideas. I work in a lab and use a setup extremely similar to this one, and mice are the animal I study, so this was a very natural design for me to come up with. In general though, woot's stance has been that they reject if similar shirts exist, not similar ideas. If this is going to get into an argument about how any idea that has been thought of by anyone else before should be off limits, I hope that people are planning to research every archive on every site to ensure that all the shirts they are voting for are entirely one of a kind. I hate to be so cynical about the topic, but after weeks of having my face bashed in for doing designs that other people have come up with in some form in the past, I've done quite a bit of searching and can assure you that I can find about 90% of the derby winners on woot in some form done by some other artist. I remember when the ceiling chthulu was in the derby, a extremely similar image was found somewhere else, but the arguments went entirely the other way, with people freaking out that since it wasn't printed on a shirt, it shouldn't matter. It isn't a matter of coincidence, it's a matter of the sheer volume of artwork that has been done and posted in the 10+ years that people have been keeping online portfolios. Woot is looking for designs that haven't been printed somewhere else first, and I'd like to think I provided that with this entry, whether someone came up with the idea at some other point or not. In other cases, where a design has been printed elsewhere and I hadn't seen it before, I will gladly concede that woot should go for a rejection, but that isn't the case here.

rjohnson313

quality posts: 8 Private Messages rjohnson313
graffd02 wrote:
In everyday speech what I'm trying to say is is...

This shirt is about Forming a Hypothesis: "I can totally kill a dragon in ONE hit Booya!" gathering data through rolling dice and collecting that data. Then testing that hypothesis - "One hit kill - Snoochie Bootchies!"

That good enough of a case?

Lol! Okay, you're convincing :-) Honestly, I'd rather this this shirt win than most that are fogging right now...

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

ramyb wrote:Woot is looking for designs that haven't been printed somewhere else first

Agreed, the reason they reject is that similar shirts exist so it's a non-issue.

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02
rjohnson313 wrote:Lol! Okay, you're convincing :-) Honestly, I'd rather this this shirt win than most that are fogging right now...

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
sasham62 wrote:Thanks, SnowQueen. Just remember, breaking loose from giant cellophane tape isn't as easy as it looks.

So true,so true.

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: The Impatient Aviator

Dam. Out of the fog. I will now take off my happy panda face and put on a sad panda face. Im not a science-y person, so this derby isn't for me overall, but I did love this one.

Muuuuuuuuu pouty face. }:x

Siax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Siax

worth the buy!!!

Siax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Siax
Re: OOPS i did it again!

should I delete this one? I don't want the split-votes

Waycool4690

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Waycool4690
snarkygal wrote:You obviously don't understand it.

You obviously don't understand it either. That guy quoted the video. Hahaha

donsolo5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donsolo5

It appears that you have 8 different base choices. There are only 4. Are you trying to represent

A=T one way and T=A the other?

I love the design, but I that would bother me.

youngfire635

quality posts: 0 Private Messages youngfire635
Re: Double Helix

Don't listen to any of the haters, Ramy. The topic could be fecal matter and they'd still say you laid a turd.

No matter what you do there are always going to be those jerks who can't apprieciate it and they all just need to shut up. If you don't like the art, don't vote as always. You don't have to bash it or pick it apart just to hate on it.

Spiritgreen

Re: The Impatient Aviator

Thanks, bass'. Tough competition this week!

This simple design has done well to get as far as it has. I'm too fond of the character & the concept to give up on it though, I'll try to figure something out in the future. ^_^

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Spiritgreen wrote:Thanks, bass'. Tough competition this week!

This simple design has done well to get as far as it has. I'm too fond of the character & the concept to give up on it though, I'll try to figure something out in the future. ^_^

Bummed to see this one fall out of the fog. That's a great looking caterpillar.

solz22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages solz22
Re: 2 2 = 4 ?

just submitting this for fun cuz i was bored and came up with the idea..

i thought it was mildly amusing, enough for a 2 second laugh

Vote for me! <3 thanks