Thanks everyone!

Cheers SnowQueenVT!

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Extreme Makeover

Cheers paigeg, janesko and walmazan!

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
swammi1203 wrote:After the past two derbies where Ramyb was the center of attention, I think I can finally understand why there is such support for Ramyb. There are two reasons:

1. His shirts are generic enough to appeal to a wider range of buyers, while interesting enough to rise, even slightly, above the typical generic design.

2. Many of his detractors, one in particular, are very outspoken in a very impolite and angry manner. This serves to offend many in the woot community and galvanize support for Ramyb. However, when Ramyb chooses to respond, he shows both levelheadedness and restraint- both of which are commendable.

Now, while I have some qualms about the lack of originality in most of his designs, the same could be said about the vast majority of designs submitted to derbies. Fortunately, many quirky shirts to make it to print. Sadly, as both Woot! and shirt.woot! have become more popular, the tyranny of the majority becomes a greater and greater issue. Thankfully Woot! combats this, if only to some degree, with the editor's choice, but most of the shirts submitted in the derbies are still selected via popular vote.

I am neither a Ramyb supporter or detractor, but I do find it difficult to become a detractor as I have no desire to be lumped in with some of his more, to put it lightly, outspoken critics. Therefore, while I hope that Ramyb works towards more and more original designs, I understand that he fills an arguably necessary, however undesirable it may be to some, niche.

The wise man/woman has spoken. Nothing more to see here people. Move along...

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
jeanerz13 wrote:Wow...if it creeps out chumpmagic...just wow...

Haha! My sadistic tolerance is no match for this dude's creepy mustache/smirk combo. Still an interesting design though.

eswohl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eswohl
Re: Stapler Subtraction Effect

sooo friggin otterific!!!! i <3 O.S. !!!

tickldpink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tickldpink
Re: Darwin's Data

I voted!!! Gorgeous! I'd buy one. I'm on the same thought as everyone else ~ I'd like something away from the silly side.

merzzie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages merzzie
Re: I'm doing science and I'm still alive

You just keep on trying 'til you run out of cake?

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen

::Applause!::

+1

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
Re: Zu Chongzhi's estimate

Nice to see some classy graphic design in the derbies. I'm not crazy about the kerning on the smaller numbers, but over all a great design. You need to give yourself a BLA on this one.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg

"...but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire..."

frik

quality posts: 1 Private Messages frik
Re: x = pb j

I just voted for you. I'm sure I just put you over the top. You are welcome ;)

No. Yes.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
odysseyroc wrote:Nice to see some classy graphic design in the derbies. I'm not crazy about the kerning on the smaller numbers, but over all a great design. You need to give yourself a BLA on this one.

Good point about the kerning -- it was more necessary in an alternate version of this I abandoned but doesn't add anything right now.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
thatrobert wrote:Good point about the kerning -- it was more necessary in an alternate version of this I abandoned but doesn't add anything right now.

To specify, I don't mind the tracking, but the kerning on the first two numbers looks odd compared to the rest. You have all the numbers butting up against each other, but the 1 and 5 seem pretty far apart. Again, a small nitpick for such a great design.

Hammylink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hammylink
Darquis wrote:Haha I just went and commented on his design (and Patrickspens and a couple others) that were glaringly off topic (of the ones that I went to look at - I certainly didn't look at all of them). People said they're frustrated when Ramy (or other artists) get singled out, so I'm trying to be consistent in my "how does this fit the topic"

I would feel bad for tattling on 15 different designs, but it's just the same as freshman biology. People assume that the scientific method is like some sort of pledge of allegiance and not a guide for all types of valid experimentation.

I don't really care that Ramy did a resubmit, but he did say he reworked it... If there is no change, there is no incorporation of anything that isn't already there which is pretty much a collage of DNA representations at various levels of complexity. There's no process or discernable timeline in this. If you want to submit DNA as art, take it to Threadless.

Hammylink

Re: Zu Chongzhi's estimate

Too bad math isn't science. It's the language of science.

Hammylink

Re: Bee Careful

He must be collecting bee pheremones; honey doesn't evaporate.

pheeyona

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pheeyona
Re: There’s no Chemistry

So cute! I want!!! Make it happen!

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
katfin25 wrote:hahaha otterific. I'm in a polymer engineering and science phd program, and at the annual holiday party a few of the professors always play together as the band "Poly and the Mers" I thought it was a joke the first time I saw a flyer, but they are pretty serious about it... lol

Well, if they ever change their name to Albert Funkenstein and The Scientific Method let me know. I can design their shirts!

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
clarinerd wrote:I've never thought of that phrase in a dirty way until you brought it up... and now I'm probably going to read it like that from now on. Thanks a lot. :P

If I can pervert just one mind, I've done my job.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen
80verna wrote:I'm new here, this is my first derby; am I right in thinking it ain't over til it's over?

L'il caterpillar still has chance yes???

Hey. :-) Only the top three shirts get printed.

It's not over until Thursday at noon, so if you have a few (hundred) friends who like flying caterpillars he may still have a chance. ;)

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Hammylink wrote:Too bad math isn't science. It's the language of science.

The way Pi was discovered was precisely the scientific method: mathematicians observed, made a hypothesis, and then either proved or disproved their theory.

If the theme was "science" and not "scientific method", I might agree with you.

Hammylink

SnowQueenVT wrote:(RE Dr. Badger made a potion that turns everyone into fairies.))

Hammylink you've made a good point!
(I can't wait till Thursday!)

That's just my way of saying I could never wear this shirt.

collif

quality posts: 0 Private Messages collif
Hammylink wrote:Carbon rings are toxic to carbon based life forms.

Isn't glucose made of carbon rings? My organic chemistry is rusty though. |

Either way, beautiful design though I'm not overly fond of the circles. The carbon into the the plant/butterfly is good enough for me to wear it though.

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
Hammylink wrote:That's just my way of saying I could never wear this shirt.

I wouldn't expect you to Dave.
(Re Dr.Badger made a potion) I didn't expect any nice comments at all.

I would wear it, but I like pink, purple and fairies. Each their own. It would make a really good sleep shirt for example. At least it's cheerful.

The effort of drawing and submitting this is not wasted though, I learn from every art experience .

(You know the kids who say "I can't draw!" throw a fit and refuse to try again? If I gave up I'd never improve. Maybe the kid who doesn't like to draw is fascinated by science or math, maybe he doesn't give up in that arena?)

That is why I responded that I can't wait until Thursday, I want a new derby because I really do not like math and science, not everyone does. I respect greatly all of the people who work and study and who DO like those fields.

Hey , everyone has their own life to lead and I do what makes me happy, I am a great singer, I love my kids, I am an artist , thats who I am.

NoT a math/science wizard. But I respect those fields immensely.

I hope I do something in the future that you WILL like, but it is difficult to always have to design stuff for men AND women and this derby was not lighting me up. I just wanted to" play with my friends" basically.

And I expected to get ripped to shreds. And I don't care.(Sticks tongue out while no ones looking.)

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
radiomode wrote:You find out about molecule structure by scientific method.

I don't mean to be a hater; I like you style, dude. But couldn't you say "You find out more about _____ by scientific method" to justify basically anything as on topic in this derby? That's the beauty of the scientific method, you can use it to learn more about almost anything.

gla3dr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gla3dr
Re: Curiosity Kills V2

Love it! It's a shame this isn't in the fog yet. It seems to me to way more on topic than a lot of the shirts that made it there so far this derby.

jstjred

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jstjred
doabarrelroll16 wrote:hey you have it add the graham cracker twice... just sayin

When I make s'mores I use half a graham cracker for the top and half a graham cracker for the bottom. Like the order of operations shows.

Just sayin

(Except I put peanut butter on mine.)

olcubmaster

quality posts: 30 Private Messages olcubmaster
Re: Hi 6

Reminiscent of the cover art on Todd Rundgren’s 1989 release “Nearly Human”

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

bpshore

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bpshore
Re: (V2) Do plants grow better with music?

I Like V2 better. The volume icon makes more sense. Good Job!

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
melsmore wrote:I like the shirt, but being an engineering student I can recognize that your drawings are seriously under dimensioned, which would cause quite a problem for anyone actually trying to build these sandwiches.

seriously? that's what hung you up? you need to get out more.

using bread as a standard:
they make pb and j jars that size in relation to the bread.
there are even grapes that size in relation to the bread.
i've even seen knives that size.
the only thing a different size from everything else is the peanut, which can be drawn to a different scale.

and don't even start with a defense of "you can't have multiple scales or dimensions on a blueprint", because maybe you can't in college, but in the real world, people cut corners. trust me.

Happy Beer.

dragonvt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dragonvt
Darquis wrote:I think OdRoc's taco, Chump's Teddy Disection and Tgentry's fropig are all a good start, those three off the top of my head fit the theme really well.

Ok, sure. Actually, I really like the Teddy Disection. Tell me what Order of Operations, Made of Carbon, Double Helix, 5 Second Rule, and X=PB+J have to do with the scientific method. Those are just the examples that are in the fog. Now, I like some of these shirts. I voted for Made of Carbon and 5 second rule. They still don't have much to do with the theme. Double Helix uses an image that most people associate with science, specifically biology and forensics, but the theme wasn't science, it is the scientific method. There are also a huge number of entries that don't seem to understand the difference between the scientific method and a mathematical equation, as exemplified by Order of Operations and X=PB+J. Then there are the shirts that have nothing to do with either one, like 5 Second Rule. To be completely honest, I wouldn't buy this shirt. I'm not a huge Star Trek fan. If you are going to include something as off topic as 5 Second Rule, though, I don't see why this one would get eliminated. I'm not saying that I want to see the above mentioned shirts get eliminated, I really hope some of them print. I just think that the eliminations need to be applied more universally and objectively. Where this derby seems to be letting damn near everything in, we have also seen the opposite happen in the past. A great example is Derby #157 (Reinterpreting Famous Art Titles), which saw many hotly contested rejections. I dunno folks, I'm not a moderator, I'm not a designer, I'm just a guy that likes wearing these shirts. I just think the rules could be applied more evenly.

jabberjaws13

doabarrelroll16 wrote:hey you have it add the graham cracker twice... just sayin

wth is wrong with people? it adds half of a graham cracker on one side, and half of a graham cracker on the other side!

i probably shouldn't be this peeved about math ignorance, but i deal with this daily. half the time i have to draw pictures so people understand. argh it's only tuesday.....

Happy Beer.

jabberjaws13

megsck wrote:so im gonna be really nit picky on this design only cause i would definitely buy this shirt if this one thing wasnt bothering me (damn my ocd and my father whos a mathmatician) but if you start out with the graham cracker divided by two, why are you adding another graham cracker divided by two at the end? seems like you wouldn't need that last graham cracker equation to get the perfect smore cause then the chocolate to cracker ratio would just be all off! =) also i wish the end result was a completed delicious looking smore instead of the smiley face. i understand this is in the fog and you probably arn't gonna change it now so i totally understand if you ignore me completely ;) but just some suggestions if this doesnt print and you resub it in the future =)

EDIT: so my dad explains to me that graham cracker divided by two means half a graham cracker, so now it makes sense to me to have two, even though to me it means a graham cracker divided in 2. this is also why i hate math, why can't they just be more straight forward! haha =) i still hold firm though on the final result be a tasty delicious smores!

you should have deleted the entire first part of your post and written "edit: nevermind the math part, but i'd still like a s'more instead of smiley."

Happy Beer.

Sapherynth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sapherynth
Re: Feline Intelligence

What is not shown is what occurs a few min later... Cat proceeds to yack up the cheezburger on the brand new area rug ;-D. Can I haz papurtowlz?

schyzm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schyzm

I don't often like derby entries, but this one is otterific. good luck!

jabberjaws13

Nessanagirl wrote:It took me a minute to realize that the brown circle on the ground was a tortilla. Somehow I think it needs to be more...taco colored.

maybe it's a tad dark, but remember that not everyone eats bright nuclear dyed yellow taco shells. most handmade corn and some handmade flour are pretty dark.

Happy Beer.

keelhaulkate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keelhaulkate
Re: Observe. Test. Report.

i actually like the comic style of this. good job

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62
Re: Results not Replicable

I love the scratches at the bottom of the shirt.

keelhaulkate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keelhaulkate

sacrerouge

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sacrerouge
SnowQueenVT wrote:Now I don't pretend to understand this shirt (above), but by heck I shall vote upon it immediately!

I'm a pi day baby too. Bring on this shirt!!