kingwoot2008

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kingwoot2008
Re: x = pb j

PB & J's... The greatest thing ever invented?

I think so.

Earlysong

quality posts: 21 Private Messages Earlysong
frik wrote:seeing this shirt -
I'm now I guess in the anti-ramyb camp. it just follows the pattern he has set if you read through his history here at woot.

Ehhhh. I don't think this is a knock-off of someone else's work, but I don't agree that it's on topic. I read his explanation, but I still don't think it has anything to do with the scientific method. Scientific discovery? Yes. The method itself? Not so much.

Then again not many people are really on topic.

I love this website! ^^

Siax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Siax
Re: Zu Chongzhi's estimate

going for the win!!!!

I am sooo buying this shirt!!!

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT

kingwoot2008 wrote:PB & J's... The greatest thing ever invented?

I think so.

Pb and honey is amazing too.(You have got to try it!)

But yes, pb and j is absolutely essential to the survival of the human race!

(If woot had a purple shirt (HInt HInt) it would solve the issue of the grape jelly...) If this were to win perhaps there might be cause to introduce a purple shirt option? I would predict a huge sell out....)

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

kbloomq1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kbloomq1
Re: Conclusion: An Edgy 'Do Scores Chicks

I love the look of birdy adoration on the female's face. That's what gets my vote! Nice job.

sharkswithlasers349

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharkswithlasers349

Yes! This fogged while I was in school! I also noticed the "1" covering up the "3," and while it does seem a bit off, your reasoning for wanting all of the numbers to be easily recognizable makes a lot of sense. If someone does get reeeally picky about it, just tell them that there's a slit in the "3" in which the "1" goes. Fingers crossed for a print.

marchchcic7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages marchchcic7
Re: Test Tube Baby

Darn. Really upset to see this out of the fog. I hope it prints somewhere if it doesn't win!

deltax20a

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deltax20a
ramyb wrote:When I came up with the idea, I did a very extensive search to see if there were any similar shirts out there and found none. Finding shirts that were submitted but never printed, and three years ago no less, at another site is unfortunately very difficult to track down. That design came long before my time either on woot or threadless, so it's just an unfortunate case of two designers coming up with similar ideas. I work in a lab and use a setup extremely similar to this one, and mice are the animal I study, so this was a very natural design for me to come up with. In general though, woot's stance has been that they reject if similar shirts exist, not similar ideas. If this is going to get into an argument about how any idea that has been thought of by anyone else before should be off limits, I hope that people are planning to research every archive on every site to ensure that all the shirts they are voting for are entirely one of a kind. I hate to be so cynical about the topic, but after weeks of having my face bashed in for doing designs that other people have come up with in some form in the past, I've done quite a bit of searching and can assure you that I can find about 90% of the derby winners on woot in some form done by some other artist. I remember when the ceiling chthulu was in the derby, a extremely similar image was found somewhere else, but the arguments went entirely the other way, with people freaking out that since it wasn't printed on a shirt, it shouldn't matter. It isn't a matter of coincidence, it's a matter of the sheer volume of artwork that has been done and posted in the 10+ years that people have been keeping online portfolios. Woot is looking for designs that haven't been printed somewhere else first, and I'd like to think I provided that with this entry, whether someone came up with the idea at some other point or not. In other cases, where a design has been printed elsewhere and I hadn't seen it before, I will gladly concede that woot should go for a rejection, but that isn't the case here.

I'm impressed you actually replied.

That said, I actually think this shirt has potential merit and really begs the question, why are you so inconsistent week-to-week? Art style is one thing but it's like you've adopted the philosophy of "eh, if it sucks, someone might buy it anyway" when it truly sucks.

moosesniffles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moosesniffles
Re: 5 Second Rule

I've seen something like this somewhere before. I don't know if it would disqualify you but I think it deserves stating that this exists.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Five_second_rule_WikiWorld.png

beje88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beje88

great idea, horrible art work

owlishness

quality posts: 0 Private Messages owlishness
AdderXYU wrote:It really isn't. It's just a hitchhiker's reference couched in some hideous glow and questionably executed drawing. This would not be in the fog without that. would you really wear this if it was a dolphin and a small cactus?

One more case of wholly unattractive being covered up by geek-ref.

If you don't like the art, then point out what is wrong with the art. The fact that it makes a pop culture reference should not exclude it from winning the derby. Since when did we deduct points for art making references to other things? If you don't like geek references, then maybe shirt.woot is not the best place for you.

ItsDavidU

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ItsDavidU
Re: Extreme Makeover

WINE AND BEER!! is this a RENT reference?

moosesniffles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moosesniffles
moosesniffles wrote:I've seen something like this somewhere before. I don't know if it would disqualify you but I think it deserves stating that this exists.

edit:

BaldBob007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007
DianaSprinkle wrote:
@BaldBob007 - That's actually hard to know for sure... as the design itself would be quite different to support a different theme or point. I mean if you just jack hammered out the reference and crow bared in something else yeah, I don't think it'd do this well but I don't create designs that way.

To be fair, I wasn't saying that I don't like this shirt; however, I'm not a fan of pop culture shirts in general. I love Hitchhiker's Guide as much as the next guy and the design is well-executed. I was mainly responding to the poor logic used in the post I replied to.

I don't think I'm following you on the whole jack hammer/crow bar thing or how you create designs. I was merely saying that if your concept was just the acceleration of objects in a vacuum and the HHGTTG reference had not even entered your mind (say the shirt just had a hammer, feather and bowling ball), the design would not be bouncing in and out of the fog.

Sure, who can say for certain... But, come on, you know it wouldn't. ;)

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
deltax20a wrote:I'm impressed you actually replied.

That said, I actually think this shirt has potential merit and really begs the question, why are you so inconsistent week-to-week? Art style is one thing but it's like you've adopted the philosophy of "eh, if it sucks, someone might buy it anyway" when it truly sucks.

I think some weeks I'm just more on the ball in terms of illustration quality. There's never a situation in which I intentionally spend less time on an entry than I feel it deserves, but sometimes things just work out. In this case, I'm particularly familiar with the equipment I illustrated, so it was very easy for me to put the design together at a quality level that I thought to be satisfactory. Other weeks I choose to go for a simple idea with a simple execution, but I don't think they are necessarily worse in terms of quality, just a lower level of detail. There are also times in which I think a design looks good, but after a few days and reading through the comments, I start to see that it just wasn't done quite right. I think everyone has these types of experiences, and while I wish every design I did could be to every person's liking, I know that isn't the case so I just design until I'm satisfied. I'm not sure what particular problems you have with my entries from week to week that you don't see here, but you can feel free to leave critique if something looks off and I can at least take it into consideration in future entries.

amw23583

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amw23583

Sweet shirt!

electricgoldfish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages electricgoldfish
thegeekywife wrote:Wow, I really like the *concept*, but the end result is blush-worthy. Maybe you could make the gas further removed from the test tube and off to the side? Great idea, though.

I agree. I ended up rushing the design out and in retrospect I'd probably make a flask instead of a beaker and waft the smoke in a more distant, asymmetric way. This design will have some reworking after it's time in the contest has passed.

I do appreciate the input though (honestly, I really didn't mean to make the end result so "adult")

doabarrelroll16

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doabarrelroll16
jabberjaws13 wrote:wth is wrong with people? it adds half of a graham cracker on one side, and half of a graham cracker on the other side!

i probably shouldn't be this peeved about math ignorance, but i deal with this daily. half the time i have to draw pictures so people understand. argh it's only tuesday.....

oh wow im stupid
i had it in my mind that the cracker diveded by two was just breaking it in half

roughnecknine0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roughnecknine0

Super sick shirt, +1 and a buy guaranteed from me. Don't change anything, just resub in an appropriate derby. Or a daily. Keep up the good work!

soreo6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soreo6
Re: Albert Funkenstein and The Scientific Method!

this is perfect.. i would want ^, not just one !! love it

solz22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages solz22
Re: Stapler Subtraction Effect

i was gonna say the same thing.. i love the movie. i love the idea. but the execution was bad... perhaps if it was all in 1 line it'd make more sense, but no need to make it so large and having the = be on the bottom

Vote for me! <3 thanks

soreo6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soreo6
soreo6 wrote:this is perfect.. i would want ^, not just one !! love it

thats 6, not ^ ! lol!!

SnowQueenVT

moosesniffles wrote:I've seen something like this somewhere before. I don't know if it would disqualify you but I think it deserves stating that this exists.

Re: 5 Second Rule

If someone is going to illustrate the concept of the five second rule, the idea of germs attacking a piece of food on the floor seems like an idea that more than one person would come up with right out of their own head.

The amazing and unique way this is illustrated should be enough to keep it out of harms way, the germs as I said earlier are stars.( And so is that amazing pretzel!)

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Ryuzaki wrote:I'd just like to point out that if I buy a derby shirt, in a week when I finally get to wear it, no one is going to know what derby it was from, what the rules were, and if it was "on topic" or not. If they do, then they hang out at this site more than most parents on Facebook.

Aside from who created the shirt or if it is on topic (because that is shirt.woot!'s problem), I have to ask myself this question: "Do I like it?".

And the answer here is yes.

Doesn't matter.

That is fine and good for BUYING a shirt, though it doesn't make the design very good. But this is a contest for making a shirt based on a theme. It does not matter what the shirt is if it does not follow those rules. That is all that matters in the derby... not if it's still good... if it is on topic, and follows rules. I'd argue it should be good AS WELL AS on theme and following rules, but woot has proven not to care about quality, so they need to at least care about the rules. If woot wanted any old shirt, they would not have derbies. They want people to show off their ability. Both in art and creative interpretation of a theme. This arguably doesn't do either, but most certainly doesn't do the latter.

cliff001002

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cliff001002
beaterbar wrote:I think this shirt is amazing. I would have bought 20.

Finally!!! Someone recognizes my genius. Just kidding, this sucked

BaldBob007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007
AdderXYU wrote:Doesn't matter.

That is fine and good for BUYING a shirt, though it doesn't make the design very good. But this is a contest for making a shirt based on a theme. It does not matter what the shirt is if it does not follow those rules. That is all that matters in the derby... not if it's still good... if it is on topic, and follows rules. I'd argue it should be good AS WELL AS on theme and following rules, but woot has proven not to care about quality, so they need to at least care about the rules. If woot wanted any old shirt, they would not have derbies. They want people to show off their ability. Both in art and creative interpretation of a theme. This arguably doesn't do either, but most certainly doesn't do the latter.

^Agreed. Besides the above points, I've never really understood why this type of design concept does so well here. I mean, I thought shirt.woot was supposed to be about a "unique" design, one that can only be found here. If you really want something like this (simple design element placed on side with other simple filler design elements), why wait until the end of the derby, then order and wait for the shipping? You could just go to {insert name of favorite hometown department store} and get it now!!!

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
Darquis wrote:It's so he has first comment reserved. I couldn't speak to why the comment still would say saved now.

Laziness.

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62

The Five Second Rule concept is probably old enough to be public domain. The execution on this T-shirt design is, so far as I know, completely original and brilliant. I hope it prints.

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62
Hammylink wrote:If this needs text to be understood, then I don't think I can help you. What I don't understand is how a 5 minute "drawing" of a DNA strand can be fogging and a gawddam shirt with 3.14 on it can have 400+ votes while this is at about 100 right now.

I think the fear is that people might think you're advocating this if you wear the shirt.
I do like the subliminal Kermit/MissPiggy reference.

tamarwhite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tamarwhite
solz22 wrote:i was gonna say the same thing.. i love the movie. i love the idea. but the execution was bad... perhaps if it was all in 1 line it'd make more sense, but no need to make it so large and having the = be on the bottom

...well this stunk to find out.

I thought putting it all on line might look too squished, math teachers did this all the time in HS , but I'm thinking I'll resubmit it all on one line.

I was just wondering - do you think there were other problems besides the on-2-lines-issue that caused it to get rejected? I would love to avoid rejection a second time.

Is my drawing simply too crappy? (as seems to have been asserted..?)

Is there some type of copyright issue? I blurred the Swingline logo because of that, and also the no text rule.

elliekay90

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elliekay90
walmazan wrote:Despite your best methods. sometimes there’s no Chemistry

I hope you like it and support this version!

I really liked v1 better! but this is cute too :P

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
SnowQueenVT wrote:Pb and honey is amazing too.(You have got to try it!)

But yes, pb and j is absolutely essential to the survival of the human race!

(If woot had a purple shirt (HInt HInt) it would solve the issue of the grape jelly...) If this were to win perhaps there might be cause to introduce a purple shirt option? I would predict a huge sell out....)

but then it wouldn't look like drafting paper?

a heather blue might work too for blueprints.

but i am all for introducing a frosty grape color into the options.

Happy Beer.

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
doabarrelroll16 wrote:oh wow im stupid
i had it in my mind that the cracker diveded by two was just breaking it in half

you're not stupid, i'm having a rough day and work with id10ts. it had just been said multiple times in the thread.

Happy Beer.

tamarwhite

beje88 wrote:great idea, horrible art work

Realizing there's no pleasing everyone, if someone calls my work "horrible" I'll ask for some elaboration.

...so beje88 - do you think the composition is bad, my drawing skills stink, both...?

Drawn badly? Bad line quality...?
Color problems?
Sketchy style not working..?

As specific as you care to be.
This being my 2nd entry ever, I really would like to know.

ozgrl12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ozgrl12
rjohnson313 wrote:And the gelatin is made from pork. So definitely not halal or kosher in addition to not being veggie/vegan friendly.

Well kosher marshmallows do exist, having eaten them. I believe they use either gelatin made from fish or plants (depending on who the rabbi giving the certification is)

What I have found out is that they really are very different than "traditional marshmallows" which contain gelatin. Once one of my friends was doing a smores event on campus and since it was his event and he wanted to eat them too he used kosher marshmallows- and everyone was like Oragutan Mating Guide... what's wrong with the marshmallows and why are they lighting on fire and not actually melting the chocolate...

Apparently not everything has a substitute.

SnowQueenVT

tamarwhite wrote:Realizing there's no pleasing everyone, if someone calls my work "horrible" I'll ask for some elaboration.

...so beje88 - do you think the composition is bad, my drawing skills stink, both...?

Drawn badly? Bad line quality...?
Color problems?
Sketchy style not working..?

As specific as you care to be.
This being my 2nd entry ever, I really would like to know.

Re: Stapler Subtraction Effect

I thought the drawing of the man was really cool!

tamarwhite

SnowQueenVT wrote:I thought the drawing of the man was really cool!

Thank you I appreciate it

Also thanks to everyone who showed it some <3 earlier.

SnowQueenVT

(RE some of us wish woot had purple shirts and this design would look great on purple IF there were purple shirts.)

jabberjaws13 wrote:but then it wouldn't look like drafting paper?

a heather blue might work too for blueprints.

but i am all for introducing a frosty grape color into the options.

I think the need for purple shirts around here is pretty dire.

Desperate times call for desperate measures!

Sacrifice the drafting paper look and give purple to the people!

Pur-ple!

Pur-ple!...

(of course since theres no purple, we'll just have to go with option one and slop grape jelly on ourselves)

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
soreo6 wrote:this is perfect.. i would want 6, not just one !! love it

If it wins buy as many as you want! ;)

wmerwi

quality posts: 11 Private Messages wmerwi

Behold, a pale unicorn!

Seriously people. You need to vote for this because there is no excuse for it to have fallen out of the fog.