jstjred

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jstjred
endangeredomega wrote:I think that's because the vast majority of the voters here are somehow allergic to most art that has any thought and quality put into it. Sheeple like simple, unfortunately.

But take heart! You printed recently elsewhere, and I'm sure it will be the first of many to come. I have great confidence there is an audience for your talent - but as you've said, that audience probably isn't here at Woot.

Art - the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.

The element of aesthetic principles really does have to come into play here. Sheeple is honestly an insanely old hat concept that is pure irony in that when it is said, it exposes one for being just as much a follower as everyone else out there. There is no unique, there is no dramatic superiority, there is no higher understanding - just different.

It is ridiculous to get pious and express the idea that if something is successful it must be bad, because shame on it for appealing to the masses. This is a site...where an artist gets paid...to do his/her work. Of course it is about appealing to the most people possible.

Congratulations to those who acknowledge that their specific appeal may not be directed towards the audience that they are submitting to. I applaud those who keep on submitting to improve their own skills, and are doing it for fun! They managed to keep their inspiration. But if your art is literally just for you - keep it in your painted black room for your mascara coated eyes only, and don't show it to the world.

Complexity does not equal genius.

Cjdad2012

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cjdad2012
Re: double helix rainbow

I would want to give this as a present to my joyous friend for her birthday or Christmas.

thatrobert

quality posts: 28 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: Darwin's Data

• Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Winning a BLA does NOT mean this shirt won't print -- I'm hoping it does.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • So I'm taking a rainbow up to the 5th floor.

thatrobert

Re: Making a Friend

• This is not SPAM.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.

thatrobert

Re: Taco Math

• This is not SPAM.

thatrobert

Re: x = pb j

• This is not SPAM.

thatrobert

Re: The Price of Progress

• This is not SPAM.

luzithra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luzithra
sacrerouge wrote:This is the same reason I can't vote for it. You don't hold it by the very top piece.

It's not like mice/rats have opposable thumbs how do you want him to be holding it?

CorRoyal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CorRoyal
Re: Order of Operations

I love it. But you forgot to subtract fire... IT BURNS IT BURNS!!!!

luzithra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luzithra
littleclyde wrote:Oh, I'm the first to admit that the concept could be entirely coincidental since, yeah, role reversal is nothing new. But I'm a little disturbed by the similarity in the composition, the horizontal table line, the exact same perspective and elements, the cage position, the mouse outfit, etc. I usually don't like saying a design reminds me of another one, but in this case was like "huh, I've voted on something exactly like this before", and when I found KDLIG's design in my voting history I was kind of taken aback by just how similar they were. Make of it what you will, just thought I'd point it out.

um, tables ARE horizontal, it's the logical perspective to allow for everything to be in view, the set-up makes the most sense given right-handedness, and the outfit!! a lab coat, which looks exactly like a lab coat! Oragutan Mating Guide! you even pointed out that the styles are completely different, the 'science' is very different (fitness v chem). For someone who is posting in a thread judging a shirt in a derby about scientific method you used very little reasoning in comparing these shirts.

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/09/11/the-texas-sharpshooter-fallacy/ <-- article about applying importance to perceived similarities

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
eburgeson wrote:Disturbing. Totally disturbing. And yet, I must have one. :-)

I didn't think it was too disturbing but I guess for each us things made be seen differently but glad you are into disturbing things and this one is for you!

druidbob wrote:This is great! hope it wins.

I wish it would too. But something tells me that it just may not be in the cards. People don't know me and my work. That's cool though. I wish I had over 600 voters driving here to vote. I wish. Thanks though for the support. Its really encouraging in the face of seeing possible hack designs of others doing much better than those which deserve more appreciation.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
jstjred wrote:...Congratulations to those who acknowledge that their specific appeal may not be directed towards the audience that they are submitting to. I applaud those who keep on submitting to improve their own skills, and are doing it for fun! They managed to keep their inspiration. But if your art is literally just for you - keep it in your painted black room for your mascara coated eyes only, and don't show it to the world.

I don't agree with this. I think your art should always be for yourself first. Sure you should want to win the contest, but draw stuff you don't like for a fast buck. If you really love drawing cute animals or pop culture references, then go for it. If you like to draw things that are off the beaten path, you might not rack up the votes and get lots of wins, but surely you'll be able to attract a following and find success later.

I'm a Hip-Hop head since I was a kid. One of my all time favorites is KRS ONE, he's never had an album go gold, never tried to make a record for the pop charts, but has been successful in the 24 years since his first album dropped.The whole indy-rap scene is following the same model. They will likely never make the fast money, but they can make a nice living without the pressure of always trying to find the next hit, caving in to record company pressure, etc. They are doing what they love and making more money than they would with a record company, because they attract an audience that appreciates the quality.

sogj

quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj
Re: Repeatable Results Resubbed

Thanks everybody :D

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

jstjred

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jstjred
odysseyroc wrote:I don't agree with this. I think your art should always be for yourself first. Sure you should want to win the contest, but draw stuff you don't like for a fast buck. If you really love drawing cute animals or pop culture references, then go for it. If you like to draw things that are off the beaten path, you might not rack up the votes and get lots of wins, but surely you'll be able to attract a following and find success later.

I'm a Hip-Hop head since I was a kid. One of my all time favorites is KRS ONE, he's never had an album go gold, never tried to make a record for the pop charts, but has been successful in the 24 years since his first album dropped.The whole indy-rap scene is following the same model. They will likely never make the fast money, but they can make a nice living without the pressure of always trying to find the next hit, caving in to record company pressure, etc. They are doing what they love and making more money than they would with a record company, because they attract an audience that appreciates the quality.

Well said. I was merely stating that if it is only for you, and if you get upset that others are not interested in your work...you shouldn't be trying to merchandise it in the first place. This is obviously not you.

I actually admire your interest in your art, your ability, and your desire to forge ahead doing your thing - hoping that some might climb aboard along the way. As I mentioned in my previous post...people like you have not lost their inspiration.

There again, neither have those who are motivated by different factors - money being one of them. Appealing to the tastes of the masses is a simple economical move. Doesn't mean there is less "art" involved, just differently motivated art. It may not move me, because I am not fond of everything that everyone else is fond of, however, I am fond of some things that the majority like.

I was expressing that people who let the majority decide for them (whether for or against something so that they can be in or out of the mainstream) is kind of silly.

ullreym

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ullreym
Josephus wrote:the birds are Darwin's finches. His data is the beaks of the finches, which he measured to help explain how evolution worked so dramatically on the Galapagos. One of the fundamental rules in science is that you keep your raw data, so this old Darwin kept his finches, see? so he was keeping the raw data unil he died, in case anyone asked for it, he could prove- oh, never mind!

By "raw data" you mean live, raw, uncooked, chirping data? That's kind of neat.

wootorious

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootorious
Re: 2 2 = 4 ?

LOL! Loved it! It would be my first Woot!

wootorious

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootorious
Re: 2 2 = 4 ?

LOL...loved it! This would be my 1st Woot!

sacrerouge

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sacrerouge
luzithra wrote:It's not like mice/rats have opposable thumbs how do you want him to be holding it?

They also don't wear glasses and lab coats.
I want him to be holding it in a way that wouldn't damage it.

It's a neat idea, I've just had to work with one of those things so much, as have many friends, that it would bother me to have it wrong on my shirt

Hammylink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hammylink
tgentry wrote:People might think you're advocating for pig/frog hybrids. That's the fear. Based off this shirt.

Speechless.

Hmm, I guess it's too late now to make a manbearpig variation.

BaldBob007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007
Re: High School Scientific Method

Thanks again for all the support, everyone! Still in the top 30 on the last day. WOO! This is my best placement yet. Although, I still need about 18 votes to beat my all-time high. Think we can do it?! XD

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62
Cmarlowe wrote:I don't expect you to talk, I expect you to die!

It's one of them! RUN! Run for your lives!!!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: The Price of Progress

Congrats on the BLA! Sadly, it looks like that's the best you're going to get, this Derby. Here's hoping for an HM!
And the moon just jarred my eye, because it's so photo-like, while the rest of the comp is much more graphic.

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
odysseyroc wrote:I'm a Hip-Hop head since I was a kid. One of my all time favorites is KRS ONE.

So along the same lines, I've loved De La Soul for a long, long time but had never seen them live until North Coast Music Festival a few weeks back. Well not only did I get to see De La Soul rock the joint, but Dres from Black Sheep came out and did a few Native Tongues songs with them! Unreal.

Happy Beer.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
jabberjaws13 wrote:So along the same lines, I've loved De La Soul for a long, long time but had never seen them live until North Coast Music Festival a few weeks back. Well not only did I get to see De La Soul rock the joint, but Dres from Black Sheep came out and did a few Native Tongues songs with them! Unreal.

I'm jealous! I've always thought that Pos and Dres were two of the most under rated rappers ever

Hammylink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hammylink
kbloomq1 wrote:I love the look of birdy adoration on the female's face. That's what gets my vote! Nice job.

I've seen that look somewhere before:

SunnyLea0

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SunnyLea0
Re: Rube Gravity Machine

I like it! Wish it weren't such a late entry, but hey, if Woot *did* do a Goldberg derby, you'd be ready!

hjewell29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hjewell29
Re: Test Tube Baby

Have I mentioned you are my favorite woot artist? Well YOU ARE :D

Ryuzaki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ryuzaki
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice

I so hope this prints. I will be wearing it to my next Geekend (Geek Weekend) when we play D&D. I just hope wearing it improves my rolls.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
paigeg wrote:OK, I really hate to be the one to pee on someone's cornflakes, but... I knew I'd seen this concept before. And while I love the style and execution of this much more, the proportions in the Sudyka painting are more correct (finches are itty-bitty birds). The size of the birds has bugged me from the start.
All that said, it does make for an interesting and attention-getting design. Good luck!

you really can be a PIA, can't you? ;^)

So, the finches I drew are Galapagos finches of a variety of species, not all the same species of finch as in that drawing. I wanted them to be way big, so that's how I drew them. I don't really care whether they are relatively right-sized, dig?

god forbid that anyone who tries to draw things in a relatively realistic manner should take a tiny bit of artistic license and draw them an unrealistic size.

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
Ryuzaki wrote:I can see your point. When it comes to a contest, an entry should play by the rules or be removed. However, you must keep in mind that underneath it all, the whole goal of even having a derby is to sell shirts. If a design isn't aesthetically pleasing, it isn't going to sell. And while I agree with you that for fairness purposes this shirt does not meet the proper criteria and according to the rules, should be removed, I refuse to vote for a shirt design that meets the criteria that I wouldn't buy over a design that I will, even if it is not on topic.

You do have the option of voting for neither, which is really the correct thing to do in that situation.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
thatrobert wrote:

Hurray!!!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
thatrobert wrote:

thanks! very cool!

cardsfan11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cardsfan11
Re: Stapler Subtraction Effect

"Rejected because: Nope, can't do it"

Seriously?! I just looked at my account for shirt.woot & I've bought 42 shirts over the last couple years. At a minimum $10 a pop, I think it qualifies me to ask this question... What the hell is wrong with you people?

I don't normally vote on derbies for this exact reason. This is the first T-shirt design I've voted "I'd want one" on in months, and it gets rejected, for "nope can't do it."

I sorry, but the designer at least deserves a valid reason. A real critique, a real explanation. I've noticed the reasons for you guys rejecting any design are always ridiculous at best. And that's being nice.

This was the only design (in this derby) that as soon as I saw it, I thought, not only would I want one, so would half the guys/geeks I work with. It's simple, to the point & well drawn, IMO, but what do I know. I've only bought 42 shirts from you.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 223 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: The Impatient Aviator

Thank you. *^_^*

Revster1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Revster1
Re: Zu Chongzhi's estimate

So simple yet downright artistic! How everything fits together is like an abstract puzzle. I love it!

spacemonkeydr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spacemonkeydr
paigeg wrote:Congrats on the BLA! Sadly, it looks like that's the best you're going to get, this Derby. Here's hoping for an HM!
And the moon just jarred my eye, because it's so photo-like, while the rest of the comp is much more graphic.

Thanx, at least I got the best in something haha...Back to the drawin board

swirlkat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swirlkat

It's adorable! +1 (:

Re: Test Tube Baby

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
sacrerouge wrote:They also don't wear glasses and lab coats.
I want him to be holding it in a way that wouldn't damage it.

It's a neat idea, I've just had to work with one of those things so much, as have many friends, that it would bother me to have it wrong on my shirt

pmed you

urbanbagowya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages urbanbagowya
Ryuzaki wrote:I so hope this prints. I will be wearing it to my next Geekend (Geek Weekend) when we play D&D. I just hope wearing it improves my rolls.

We're geekending this weekend, not quite in your honor, but I bet it will help.

elessia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elessia
Re: Hi 6

maybe the woot staff was like me and couldnt find any link between the six fingers and the dna behind it.