thatrobert

quality posts: 28 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: Zu Chongzhi's estimate

Junk6245 wrote:Love the concept, love the design.

However, I think the shirt would look better if the imprint were much smaller. For me, as it is, I want to see it even larger and see what happens when it takes over the entire shirt.

I understand what you're saying but I think it's going to be heading toward "takes over the entire shirt" when you see it printed -- the designs look bigger when you're wearing them.

druidbob wrote:Pi day is my birthday,

This must win so I can buy it.

Wow, 3 pi-day birthdays so far!

glm9647 wrote:I don't see "Scientific Method" here... no more than the E=mc^Pi shirt, which was rejected. True, that shirt is wrong, but being a scientist, I can tell you that the scientific method mainly consists of being wrong...

I don't disagree. See the similar posts above.

Revster1 wrote:So simple yet downright artistic! How everything fits together is like an abstract puzzle. I love it!

Thank you!

vinktor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vinktor
Re: Einstein gives up on theory

Ah man! Next time.

jkcom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkcom
Re: Double Helix

I think that the real problem here, and embarrassingly i don't think anyone else noted it, is that the double helix is backward. all relevant helices are right handed. You made a design of Z-DNA, which is not only exceedingly rarely found in the cell, but when it is found, it's significance is unknown.

Just a thought.

jcollin5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcollin5
ramyb wrote:When you look at the design, which of these two configurations do you visualize?

I realized that there is an ambiguity in the design in this regard, so I thought perhaps we were seeing two different things.

I definitely see the one on the right for reasons noted before me but also because the strand on the left (red) is bigger at the very top and appears to come out more so than the strand on the right (green). You can't see this in the pictures you colored but you have to go back to the original to see what I'm talking about. I tried, but I really don't understand how you could see the right strand being on top of the left strand.

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
cardsfan11 wrote:"Rejected because: Nope, can't do it"

Seriously?! I just looked at my account for shirt.woot & I've bought 42 shirts over the last couple years. At a minimum $10 a pop, I think it qualifies me to ask this question... What the hell is wrong with you people?

I don't normally vote on derbies for this exact reason. This is the first T-shirt design I've voted "I'd want one" on in months, and it gets rejected, for "nope can't do it."

I sorry, but the designer at least deserves a valid reason. A real critique, a real explanation. I've noticed the reasons for you guys rejecting any design are always ridiculous at best. And that's being nice.

This was the only design (in this derby) that as soon as I saw it, I thought, not only would I want one, so would half the guys/geeks I work with. It's simple, to the point & well drawn, IMO, but what do I know. I've only bought 42 shirts from you.

Nope, can't do it generally means there's a copyright issue. They said it to the Dr Who/time travel shirt and Ramy last week too.

Plus, even if they could, that isn't scientific method, it's just making an office space reference.

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
odysseyroc wrote:Delicious science.

Hey don't stress about it (I know, you aren't). You're not drawing cutesy stuff or making references to pop culture, which makes it about 100 times harder to sell here.

Siax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Siax
druidbob wrote:Pi day is my birthday,

This must win so I can buy it.

therefore, ha!

ItsBaxter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ItsBaxter
jkcom wrote:I think that the real problem here, and embarrassingly i don't think anyone else noted it, is that the double helix is backward. all relevant helices are right handed. You made a design of Z-DNA, which is not only exceedingly rarely found in the cell, but when it is found, it's significance is unknown.

Just a thought.

I noticed this. Since I am a biologist a DNA shirt would normaly catch my interest but I wouldn't dare wearing a shirt that has the helix direction backwards.

PS. It's not even Z-DNA. Sure Z-DNA has a left hand helix but it's also pretty seriously deformed.

parrotworks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks
BaldBob007 wrote:Although, I still need about 18 votes to beat my all-time high. Think we can do it?! XD

+1 Good luck.

tonymontana444

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tonymontana444

whoops wrong thread. nice designs out there though...

tonymontana444

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tonymontana444

love the colors. i would buy this if it printed. we need more minimalism on shirt.woot...

Siax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Siax
Re: Only Recrossable

doesn't the question mark and exclamation point apply to the no text rule this week?

cool design though, just thought I'd say that to let the artist know

starkravingchristian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages starkravingchristian

Love this shirt!

sharkswithlasers349

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharkswithlasers349
thatrobert wrote:Let me look at the design again and see if I can't make it look like what you expect without changing the overall look. If I get something working, I'll mail it to Woot and let them decide what to print.

Fantastic! I would definitely wear this either way, but if you could get that done, this shirt would be even better. Still 12 more hours to rack up some votes!

jeleavitt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jeleavitt

i am embarassed to ask but
what is "fogged"?

sexylittlerobot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages sexylittlerobot

is that Fahrenheit :o other than that, this is pretty cute. poor incinerated cupcake

tamarwhite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tamarwhite

thanks to everyone for the replies & feedback

Sorry I havent been so good at replying right now, I have a minor but annoying injury (ridiculously stubbed pinky toe) that suddenly consumed my attention. I found out the hard way that *hurts* and bizarrely makes you super tired. go figure : )

But again, thanks to everyone... ok, sleepy time now. :/

phangea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phangea

I reallyyyy like this shirt! I hope you win so I can buy one! (:

chiinkz86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chiinkz86
Spiritgreen wrote:Thank you. *^_^*

I really hope this gets printed!!

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic

I want this shirt to win. Personally, its not for me; however, I like variety. I hope it wins and stays in the reckoning for a bit, so when I tell my friends about woot, they have options when it comes to purchasing. Seeing "cute" stuff over and over in the reckoning has seemed to turn my friends (yes, even my female friends) away from this site in time.

Edit: Not all successful pieces in the reckoning are "cute" design, but most are. I am just saying that this bring variety, filling a design gap that isn't currently present. Variety Rules!

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
jeleavitt wrote:i am embarassed to ask but
what is "fogged"?

It means that your design is one of the top 9 designs, that it has a lot of votes and a good chance to win. They call it fogged because unlike the other entries, you cannot see the number of votes these designs have.

I would have answered you sooner, but I figured someone else would..

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

iamjacksego

quality posts: 2 Private Messages iamjacksego
Re: Made of carbon

radio...this design is tight. don't let the haters get to you, I'll buy one for sure if it makes it to the top 3. :D

kophia

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kophia
Re: The Impatient Aviator

I keep checking to see if this has made it to the fog yet - amongst others I really like this week. But no love

Ftr, I find it a clever design.

cardsfan11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cardsfan11
Darquis wrote:Nope, can't do it generally means there's a copyright issue. They said it to the Dr Who/time travel shirt and Ramy last week too.

Plus, even if they could, that isn't scientific method, it's just making an office space reference.

I can concede, it's really just an Office Space reference, but what copyright issue?

#9 on the Reckoning is still a shirt with a Delorean crashing into the TARDIS. The Binge has Cookie Monster on it. The Original Blue Hedgehog (Sonic)... Faster, Higher, Stronger, Aimier... @–@... and It’s A Trap! (all Star Wars refs)... Teamwork (the Kool-Aid guy)...Poison Apple (beware of Steve Jobs)... McSsection (McDonalds).

Those are just a few that I remember. I'm sure there are dozens more. If Woot designs didn't include references to pop culture they wouldn't sell that many shirts.

deedletree

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deedletree
Re: Hypothisis is false...

Love the design, but as a scientist, hate the title. Hypotheses are "not supported by the data", never false.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 146 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
Re: Free Fall Test

Thanks again everyone, for all the votes and comments!

armygoal1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages armygoal1
SnowQueenVT wrote:
I predict that Your blue flame is very cool!
See...did it again!

False: Blue flames are much hotter than yellow or red flames, thus, this design is not "cool" as you have said, but rather hot.

Pssshhtt, you think people would know this stuff considering the derby is on the scientific method

SnowQueenVT

Re: Bunsen Burnin

armygoal1 wrote:False: Blue flames are much hotter than yellow or red flames, thus, this design is not "cool" as you have said, but rather hot.

Pssshhtt, you think people would know this stuff considering the derby is on the scientific method

I know< I should have said hot. I realize that...just forgive my attempts at humor. I am the type who tries to say something funny and it comes out wrong...bad delivery!!!

Those bunsen burners are vicously hot. Not cooool.

God will this derby please end? I really really really want it to !!

I am ready to try to kick some butt this next time I swear it!!!

(But I still AM psychic...to myself I predicted that someone would catch that I called the thing cool (instead of HOT) and you did.

Also if this thing sounds like I am mad, I am not, I just have terrible delivery when trying to be witty/or funny....just want a topic I can relate to this one was a disaster for me...but it got me revved up again to go for it, I am just praying that this weeks new topic isn't MATH!

hpesoj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hpesoj

Love the design, hate the color ( green = bleech )

frik

quality posts: 1 Private Messages frik
SnowQueenVT wrote:I know< I should have said hot. I realize that...just forgive my attempts at humor. I am the type who tries to say something funny and it comes out wrong...bad delivery!!!

Those bunsen burners are vicously hot. Not cooool.

God will this derby please end? I really really really want it to !!

I am ready to try to kick some butt this next time I swear it!!!

I agree. I'm anxious to move on, as I felt this past week's topic was uninspiring. While there were some neat submissions, I consider this another throw away week. I am surprised at how many votes are getting passed around at the top though.

No. Yes.

indihar

quality posts: 7 Private Messages indihar

I find that I am fast losing my stamina for these derbies. Over the past 2-3 months, there have been only a couple of "eh" derbies...all the rest I have looked forward to, thinking what great, wonderful, shirts will be coming out of them.

Instead, I find, time after time, that the shirts I would buy, miss fogging entirely. (Or fog..then get rejected! ...)

Same holds true for this derby. The closest shirt I would buy without hesitation is:

Re: Curiosity Kills V2

Wouldn't be so bad, if I could look forward to the daily shirts...but of late, they've been as bad (or worse). Yes...I did buy the rooster shirt (yes, that does happen to be my Chinese Zodiac sign!) Maybe woot! should just switch to doing EC's for awhile...then I would still have a reason to keep checking (in the vain hope that one of the EC's would be one that I wanted.) Come to think of it, the last "derby" shirt I bought, was because it was the very last one, of the EC's for that derby.

On the other hand, I just got my replacement shirt yesterday, for "Oh, shiny."
(WoW...it was ssoooooo new, I could still smell the fresh printing on it!)

So, see...woot!'s not bad all of the time...just enough of the time, to really annoy the hell out of me...(and I don't need them for that...that's what I have family for...)

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan
SnowQueenVT wrote:I love this more each day and the coloring is truly amazing, I noticed the reflection on the table and the subtle shading on the glass bottles and my favorite technique that is so yours, where you use dots that fall into the negative space (like on the gleam of the bottle) so effective.

Such talent, so unique, I don't miss version one (chemistry) anymore, this "story" is even more interesting! (The characters have depth.)

Aww, thanks SnowQueenVT, for your words! you are so nice! really tanks!

SnowQueenVT

frik wrote:I agree. I'm anxious to move on, as I felt this past week's topic was uninspiring. While there were some neat submissions, I consider this another throw away week. I am surprised at how many votes are getting passed around at the top though.

Yes, that surprised me too! I wonder what the top vote will be?

SnowQueenVT

Re: There’s no Chemistry

walmazan wrote:Aww, thanks SnowQueenVT, for your words! you are so nice! really tanks!

The words are true and you more than deserve them!!!

We are SO lucky to have you here!

indihar

quality posts: 7 Private Messages indihar
cardsfan11 wrote:I can concede, it's really just an Office Space reference, but what copyright issue?

#9 on the Reckoning is still a shirt with a Delorean crashing into the TARDIS. The Binge has Cookie Monster on it. The Original Blue Hedgehog (Sonic)... Faster, Higher, Stronger, Aimier... @–@... and It’s A Trap! (all Star Wars refs)... Teamwork (the Kool-Aid guy)...Poison Apple (beware of Steve Jobs)... McSsection (McDonalds).

In all fairness, a lot of the shirts mentioned, were daily shirts...rules for daily shirts, and derby shirts, differ.

So maybe woot! should take some of those rejected derby shirts...and make them daily shirts?

Cantatus

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Cantatus
swammi1203 wrote:After the past two derbies where Ramyb was the center of attention, I think I can finally understand why there is such support for Ramyb. There are two reasons:

1. His shirts are generic enough to appeal to a wider range of buyers, while interesting enough to rise, even slightly, above the typical generic design.

2. Many of his detractors, one in particular, are very outspoken in a very impolite and angry manner. This serves to offend many in the woot community and galvanize support for Ramyb. However, when Ramyb chooses to respond, he shows both levelheadedness and restraint- both of which are commendable.

Now, while I have some qualms about the lack of originality in most of his designs, the same could be said about the vast majority of designs submitted to derbies. Fortunately, many quirky shirts to make it to print. Sadly, as both Woot! and shirt.woot! have become more popular, the tyranny of the majority becomes a greater and greater issue. Thankfully Woot! combats this, if only to some degree, with the editor's choice, but most of the shirts submitted in the derbies are still selected via popular vote.

I am neither a Ramyb supporter or detractor, but I do find it difficult to become a detractor as I have no desire to be lumped in with some of his more, to put it lightly, outspoken critics. Therefore, while I hope that Ramyb works towards more and more original designs, I understand that he fills an arguably necessary, however undesirable it may be to some, niche.

Great, great post. I think you've summarized this whole thing very elegantly.

thatrobert

quality posts: 28 Private Messages thatrobert

tonymontana444 wrote:love the colors. i would buy this if it printed. we need more minimalism on shirt.woot...

Yup.

sharkswithlasers349 wrote:Fantastic! I would definitely wear this either way, but if you could get that done, this shirt would be even better. Still 12 more hours to rack up some votes!

I spent a couple hours playing around with it. Whatever I did messed up the balance -- the "3" either became too obvious or too subtle.

phangea wrote:I reallyyyy like this shirt! I hope you win so I can buy one! (:

Me too.

chumpmagic wrote:I want this shirt to win. Personally, its not for me; however, I like variety. I hope it wins and stays in the reckoning for a bit, so when I tell my friends about woot, they have options when it comes to purchasing. Seeing "cute" stuff over and over in the reckoning has seemed to turn my friends (yes, even my female friends) away from this site in time.

Edit: Not all successful pieces in the reckoning are "cute" design, but most are. I am just saying that this bring variety, filling a design gap that isn't currently present. Variety Rules!

I agree with you 100% -- regardless of whether my shirt makes it or not.

kitsunerei

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kitsunerei
Re: Number Nine

I didn't see anything less than innocent until it was pointed out ;_;
This design feels more finished than your last one, I like the chalky style edges of the heart Good work!

MBrulla

quality posts: 12 Private Messages MBrulla

This is by far the best design in the fog.

Maybe not graphically intense, but this is a coherent design that is VERY wearable.

Kudos!

lunachica86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lunachica86
Re: Test Tube Baby

YAY It's back in the fog!! that just made my day hope if wins