+ Add a Comment

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
sogj wrote:If you can't tell, I am not *actually* a designer. I just play one on Woot. ;)

Had me fooled.

sacrerouge

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sacrerouge
Josephus wrote:My brother accidentally stapled his shoe to his foot with a construction staplegun a long time ago. The Drs at the ER used vicegrips to pull it out.

Augh! Reading this makes me foot hurt...

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: The Experiment: Happiness is...
Spiritgreen wrote:This turned out really nice, jas'. All of that fine tuning was worth it. ^__^

Thanks for your help with that Spiritgreen, and glad you like the final!

joshuajmasters wrote:As the Peanuts always said, "happiness is a boy and his dog."

Yes! I love Peanuts, and that quote too.

lucky1988 wrote:very cute design janesko, love the color combo too.

Thanks very much lucky!

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
odysseyroc wrote:It's aji, it's a sauce that you find in Peruvian restaruants. I've recently become obsessed with the Peruvian dish, tallarin saltado, so I decided to make some this weekend and thought I'd make some aji to go along with it.

mmmm... I love Peruvian food and could drink a gallon of aji sauce right now. My favorite Peruvian restaurant in NYC, in case anybody is looking to try the cuisine and lives in the area. http://www.piopionyc.com

Odysseyroc, this shirt is fantastic! I really love how you always make me want to eat tacos for dinner. It's a conspiracy. You must have a vested interest in making me spend my money on tacos.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
fishbiscuit5 wrote:mmmm... I love Peruvian food and could drink a gallon of aji sauce right now. My favorite Peruvian restaurant in NYC, in case anybody is looking to try the cuisine and lives in the area. http://www.piopionyc.com

Odysseyroc, this shirt is fantastic! I really love how you always make me want to eat tacos for dinner. It's a conspiracy. You must have a vested interest in making me spend my money on tacos.

Let's just say that if my plan works, Arizona will be in big trouble.

fishbiscuit5

Re: Donuts are Devils Riding Unicorns

This is pure genius. I want to eat that blue donut and I want to wear this shirt.

joshuajmasters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshuajmasters
Re: Donuts are Devils Riding Unicorns

Tru Dat, my friend. Tru Dat.

sTyLeS

Re: The Experiment: Happiness is...

You have a pretty solid design. It's cute, without being big-watery-eyed cute. Good job.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: PuckerBeakerBubbles!

That's not a beaker, it's an Erlenmeyer flask.

fishbiscuit5

Re: The Impatient Aviator

Awwww, such a fun design! Does the formula mean anything in particular? I sure wish I was science/math literate.

sogj

quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj
sTyLeS wrote:Nothing may beat the monkey, but doesn't mean you can't just for fun.

This quote is funnier with the picture of an awkwardly whistling baseball in your sig.

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
jstjred wrote:Honestly curious what you think about this Adder...

Do you think a weighted vote based on number of actual woots is a valid voting method?

Problems I would see from this are obviously the disenfranchising of newer people (like myself) because our vote is only a fraction of the votes for people actually willing to buy everything that woot prints.

Or weighted averages based on derby wins, vs. what you voted with a nice little "did this person actually buy this shirt" factor in for good measure.

To be clear, I'm not the biggest fan of how hard edged you are on lots of things...but at least I appreciate it a little because I don't always know every copyright violation out there, and I couldn't really tell someone what parody was vs. reference, or plagiarism. Sure you always take it too far, but I'm always guilty of that with things I'm passionate about myself, so I can not like it...but can't fault you on it.

So you are passionate about it, what is the fix? Because your suggestion seems to already be in place with a rejectionator. (You don't agree with the rejectionator about everything obviously...so the inherent flaw is manifested.) Should there be a board of wootstaffers made up of loyal wootees comprising of wootartists and wootbuyers with at least half a dozen whatthepoopisawoots for good measure? Checks 'n balances?

My ideal view still stands at: 1st is 1st, 2nd is a woot select from the fog, 3rd is a woot select that could be from anywhere in the derby, fog or otherwise. To me it is not perfect (first place often sucks out loud), but it is a mix that means votes count for something while also allowing deserving work to have a far higher shot of printing.

Weighted accounts, however, simply wouldn't work. Power would beget more power. If you have lots of money, your vote would count more. If you often vote for winners, your vote would simply get stronger and stronger, and we'd see far less diversity as the status-quo voters gained more and more power and perpetuated it.

Woot choice, of course, isn't ideal. They regularly pick awful HMs during derbies. Other sites where there is editorial content have shown flaws in their choices (threadless, for example, has gotten dangerously close to one-note over the last year). However, they also show the benefits of this perspective. PRIOR to threadless' current falling from grace, they were a model for creative designs winning, and winning big money, because they didn't just print the popular, but they took votes into consideration, took comments into consideration, and took their own personal vision into consideration. Woot's Editor's Choice decisions, while again never perfect, (and even most of their daily choices) show a site whose overall vision is MUCH different than their derbies pan out. Basically, it can only improve.

The rejectionator rejects based off rules. Sometimes. Sometimes it ignores rules. But it can't really justifiably reject based off taste. If something fits all rules, but is still absolutely terrible, it can still print. And can still print over much much better work. That requires editorial content far beyond the rejectionator.

AdderXYU

odysseyroc wrote:Let's just say that if my plan works, Arizona will be in big trouble.

I think Arizona is already in big trouble. Your plan has worked for months :p

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: Lab Rat

I am, once again, shocked at the rapidity with which this shirt fogged...

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

odysseyroc

kylemittskus wrote:I am, once again, shocked at the rapidity with which this shirt fogged...

Just wait till you get to the "acceptance" stage.

fishbiscuit5

Re: Extreme Makeover

Ha! I just fell over laughing. Beer goggle shirt is amazing! Your characters have so much charm, as always.

odysseyroc

AdderXYU wrote:I think Arizona is already in big trouble. Your plan has worked for months :p

Oh Snap!

sacrerouge

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sacrerouge
Re: Taco Math

I'm going out for tacos (good tacos) tonight thanks to all this talk (and the shirt)

sTyLeS

I love it, odysseyrock. You have a really otterific style.
I enjoyed seeing the progression of it throughout the pre-derby thread.

parrotworks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks
Re: transwarp beamin hypothesis

"The notion of transwarp beamin is like tryin to hit a bullet with a smaller bullet while wearing a blindfold riding a horse."

fishbiscuit5

sogj wrote:I seriously don't know how you do it. It would have taken me five hours just to draw that monkey!!!

Come on, baby, FOG!!! :D (i love this shirt)

This! Stupid work always getting in the way when I need time to draw stuff. Seriously enjoying the amount of detail in this design, bootsboots.

jstjred

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jstjred
AdderXYU wrote:My ideal view still stands at: 1st is 1st, 2nd is a woot select from the fog, 3rd is a woot select that could be from anywhere in the derby, fog or otherwise.

This actually sounds pretty good...and we would just trust that the woot choices are based off of comments and what-not.

I could believe this...but it's not like I've been here long enough to be attached to the other way of doing things.

I do agree with the woot choices being dangerous though...because I do see a lot of pretty awful shirts during the week...even though a lot of decent designs on the derbies never get printed. Sad.

I appreciate the response.

sTyLeS

Re: Extreme Makeover

I'm just afraid this one has the potential to be rejected, since I've seen beer references rejected in the past.

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
odysseyroc wrote:I've never been there, but there's a place called Taste of Peru is supposed to be pretty good. It was featured on Drive-ins Diners & Dives.

thanks i'll check it out! i can't do that dish you mentioned though because my body rejects stringy noodles. spaghetti, linguini, angel hair, whatever, get that crap outta here. it's all in my mind i'm sure, but i can't eat it. any other dishes you recommend?

oh and holy frijole!!! aji sounds otterific!

mayo - ok.
green onions - great.
aji amarillos - otterific.
huacataya - awesomer.
cilantro - awesomest.
salt/pepper/garlic to taste.

is that how you make yours?

Happy Beer.

joshuajmasters

Re: research methodology

This is pretty clever. I like it.

fishbiscuit5

Re: Order of Operations

Smores was on my list of ideas. Excellent execution!

joshuajmasters

parrotworks wrote:"The notion of transwarp beamin is like tryin to hit a bullet with a smaller bullet while wearing a blindfold riding a horse."

Yup... it sure is.

soshad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soshad
Re: The Impatient Aviator

I like this and the caterpillar is really cute

odysseyroc

jabberjaws13 wrote:thanks i'll check it out! i can't do that dish you mentioned though because my body rejects stringy noodles. spaghetti, linguini, angel hair, whatever, get that crap outta here. it's all in my mind i'm sure, but i can't eat it. any other dishes you recommend?

oh and holy frijole!!! aji sounds otterific!

mayo - ok.
green onions - great.
aji amarillos - otterific.
huacataya - awesomer.
cilantro - awesomest.
salt/pepper/garlic to taste.

is that how you make yours?

I made a bastardized version, as I couldn't get aji amraillos or huacataya on short notice. Still good though.

Try Lomo Saltado, it's like Tallarin Saltado but with french fries instead of noodles. If you try that place, let me know how it is.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: What Is and What Should Never Be

What Is and What Should Never Be

We have the technology, but does that make it right?

I figured someone must have done this before but I couldn't find it anywhere else, possibly because the search parameters are so vague. If someone does know of a similar shirt please pass it along.

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
Re: Nothing Beats the Monkey V2

Always excited to see a Boots entry. Plus, I'm almost always pleased to see the shirt color you pick. I love red!

AdderXYU

jstjred wrote:This actually sounds pretty good...and we would just trust that the woot choices are based off of comments and what-not.

I could believe this...but it's not like I've been here long enough to be attached to the other way of doing things.

I do agree with the woot choices being dangerous though...because I do see a lot of pretty awful shirts during the week...even though a lot of decent designs on the derbies never get printed. Sad.

I appreciate the response.

The thing of it is that dailies can often be bad, but the important thing is they're also diverse. this week may not be the best example of it, but last week we had something weird, something cute and jokey, and something artistic. None sold amazingly, but they were all different shirts, and that alone is comforting.

Basically there are cons to every idea. I just think there are far less to mine, and far more to woot's, as compared with similar sites.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
odysseyroc wrote:Just wait till you get to the "acceptance" stage.

My "shocked" was sarcastic. I should have put it in italics.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

terrukallan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages terrukallan
Re: What Is and What Should Never Be

Hope it hasn't been done before. GMV

(Suggested names for the offspring, from left to right: frig, pog, frogpig, pigpole)

sTyLeS

Re: Galileo has Cojones

Here are a couple detail pics:

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Nothing Beats the Monkey V2

This is awesum Boots! It's like a shirt with all my favorite things on it :D. (well, except for rats and mac & cheese, but everything else rocks!) +1

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan

Love it so much, yOU are otterific and "El rey del taco"

Always +1

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain
endangeredomega wrote:I think the element that throws me off most here is the people in the cage. They seem to be drawn in a different style than the rest of the design, and feel a bit tacked-on?

It's almost as if two people worked on it...but that's not possible here, is it?

soshad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soshad
Re: Test Tube Baby

This is really cute. I have a friend who's a chemistry teacher and she would love this.

linablade

quality posts: 0 Private Messages linablade
Re: She Blew Me Up With Science

I've had the song "She Blinded me with Science" stuck in my head for days. And since I work at a vet clinic, his was just the natural progression of things.