+ Add a Comment

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
SeedUvPain wrote:It's almost as if two people worked on it...but that's not possible here, is it?

Well, actually, two people work on shirts all the time here. They're called collabs.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
walmazan wrote:Love it so much, yOU are otterific and "El rey del taco"

Always +1

Thanks, now I have a cool name, if I ever decide to quit art and become a luchador.

kc6201

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kc6201
Re: Lab Rat

Why does ramyb always put "saved" in his first comment? What's that supposed to mean?

kc6201

Re: The Impatient Aviator

I'm digging this one. The caterpillar is very cute.

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
kc6201 wrote:Why does ramyb always put "saved" in his first comment? What's that supposed to mean?

Others do it too.
They'll go back later and edit that post with real content but just didn't have the time at the moment, since they want their post to be the first one in their thread.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Re: Double Helix

Decided to rework this entry from the events of 2009 derby. Made some changes to the design to try to make an abstract representation of the progressive development in the understanding of DNA structure. Hope you enjoy

I thought I'd add a bit about the idea for this design as it relates to the topic. Starting at the botom of the horizontal section is a representation of Rosalind Franklin's xray crystallography experiment, which gave the first indication of the double helical structure of DNA. The DNA strands get more detailed moving upwards to show the progression of this understanding, until finally the vertical one shows the base pairing as well. Superimposed on the design as well are the structures of the base pairs. I put a lot of thought into the changes I wanted to make to this design to make the theme come through. The design sort of serves as a "DNA blueprint" so to speak. Hopefully that makes sense.

EDIT:
After trying very hard several times to explain my idea of how this shirt fits the theme, I felt this comment very concisely stated what I was going for:

bmjayne wrote:It feels like I'm moving through an artistic virtual timeline of DNA research as the understanding of it becomes more and more clear (and more and more prominent in the design). I also like how the fragments of molecules and strands correlate to the process of putting the pieces together, as in the process of discovery.

(Thanks)

kc6201

Re: Feline Intelligence

Not only is the one of the right smart, he's got super strength!

Popnfrsh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Popnfrsh

Just look at that DNA, otterific

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
ramyb wrote:Decided to rework this entry from the events of 2009 derby. Made some changes to the design to try to make an abstract representation of the progressive development in the understanding of DNA structure. Hope you enjoy

I didn't realize DNA was discovered in 2009. But this entry does highlight a very important issue: that your work is almost never something relevant to themes. This doesn't evoke any story of 2009. It's just a double helix that you attached to some other story that somehow involved DNA. And right now, it's off theme again because DNA is part of science, but not the scientific method. It is tenuous at best. Which would be an excellent screenname for you if Ramyb ever gets rightfully banned.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Chemistry

I can always count on your art to make me smile, Walmazan! +1 So cuuute.

KaylaJ

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ

is the rat supposed to have facial and chest hair?

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Re: Curiosity Kills

Back already. Woot publicly apologies for "oh shiny," so now I love them again

Also, thanks for all the feedback in the pre-thread. I wanted to upload this one first and see where it goes since it was already done. I do plan to try a different version (unless this one takes off), with the eye and odRocks otterific color-age. That will take some reworking the line work and some color changing to get the highlights.

7459C
101C
729C
475C
7499C
5395C

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
joshuajmasters wrote:This is pretty clever. I like it.

But in violation of the "no text" rule.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
AdderXYU wrote:I didn't realize DNA was discovered in 2009. But this entry does highlight a very important issue: that your work is almost never something relevant to themes. This doesn't evoke any story of 2009. It's just a double helix that you attached to some other story that somehow involved DNA. And right now, it's off theme again because DNA is part of science, but not the scientific method. It is tenuous at best. Which would be an excellent screenname for you if Ramyb ever gets rightfully banned.

I don't normally feel the need to respond to you, but there is a clear methodology represented in the design. I included a representation of Rosalind Franklin's xray crystallography experiment, basic double helix models, and then the up close molecular structure of the individual elements and base pairing. And considering that dancing flasks, arbitrary math equations and birds sitting on people's heads are all considered scientific method in this derby, I'd say I put in a pretty strong effort to make this on topic. And considering woot essentially said that putting a beaker on any shirt would make it on topic, I'd say that any tie to science of any sort should make things on topic this week. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assue you didn't recognize the elements in the design, rather than just choosing to ignore them.

kc6201

Re: That Has to Hurt

Made me laugh.

goldprodigy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goldprodigy

Before I descend into my rant I must qualify my statement. I mean no offense to you as I haven't been on shirtwoot long enough to be familiar with anyone's work. That being said, I am disgusted by the shirtwoot community because by simply illustrating a cat,artists seem to instantaneously place in the top 15 shirts and likely gets his or her shirt printed, regardless of the minimal amount of thought going into the message of the shirt. Further more, all these internet references have been beaten to death and yet the simple minded shirtwoot community consistently vote them into the top 3.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic

I won't lie... I really REALLY like this one. Sadly, I don't see the "method" part of the theme involved. Add like an eyeball looking at it or something.

BaldBob007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007
Re: Probably Not Cute Enough

I think the mouse is plenty cute enough! ;)

But I think taking out the gray and using colored liquids in the beakers would be cool. The image needs to be resized, I think, because it looks too close to the collar and side of the template.

BaldBob007

Re: Galileo has Cojones

Yeah, I agree, the tower really pulls the design together. This is one design where I really like the full shirt print!

joshuajmasters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshuajmasters
Re: Curiosity Kills

This is SO great! I love it!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
ramyb wrote:I don't normally feel the need to respond to you, but there is a clear methodology represented in the design. I included a representation of Rosalind Franklin's xray crystallography experiment, basic double helix models, and then the up close molecular structure of the individual elements and base pairing. And considering that dancing flasks, arbitrary math equations and birds sitting on people's heads are all considered scientific method in this derby, I'd say I put in a pretty strong effort to make this on topic. And considering woot essentially said that putting a beaker on any shirt would make it on topic, I'd say that any tie to science of any sort should make things on topic this week. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assue you didn't recognize the elements in the design, rather than just choosing to ignore them.

Using an old design = a pretty strong effort to make this on topic for Ramy. Duly noted.

I'm not saying other people are on theme. I'm just saying that you're adding one more notch on your reputation for being totally off theme every week.

kc6201

parrotworks wrote:"The notion of transwarp beamin is like tryin to hit a bullet with a smaller bullet while wearing a blindfold riding a horse."

Did you make that up or is this a reference to something I'm not cool enough to know about?

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
odysseyroc wrote:I made a bastardized version, as I couldn't get aji amraillos or huacataya on short notice. Still good though.

Try Lomo Saltado, it's like Tallarin Saltado but with french fries instead of noodles. If you try that place, let me know how it is.

i saw a bunch of recipes with lettuce but i wasn't sure it was necessary.

i am definitely going to try it. my brother and i are splitting lomo saltado and seco de cordero (lamb stewed in red wine, pumpkin, beer, ancho chiles and red peppers). its gonna be otterific. i'll let you know how it is, but i have nothing to compare it to yet. (note to self: find secondary peruvian restaurant for comparison).

Happy Beer.

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
iloveschocobos wrote:Yup, I don't see the thumbnail, but just happen to click on it. I hate math, but this shirt is otterific and yummy. Now I want smores

I actually clicked on it because I was intrigued how a shirt with a broken thumbnail got into the fog. I had to see what was so awesome that the thumbnail was irrelevant.

Love it.

indihar

quality posts: 7 Private Messages indihar

This needs to be posted at wine.woot!

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: She Blew Me Up With Science

WANT!!!

This is so awesum! Not only is the image itself cute, but the detail work with the shading is just super duper. +1!

Zarfus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Zarfus
AdderXYU wrote:Using an old design = a pretty strong effort to make this on topic for Ramy. Duly noted.

I'm not saying other people are on theme. I'm just saying that you're adding one more notch on your reputation for being totally off theme every week.

All the ramy hating is getting really freaking old. His designs are well done, and people like them. If I had half as much talent as he (she?) did, I would also try to cash in on woot shirts and give people what they want and vote for.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

Very close to a shirt woot already printed. It's also off-topic. To be fair, there are other entries that are merely science-related, instead of scientific-method related, that woot has not rejected. But it's still Friday afternoon.

Ramyb, you already have something in this derby that IS on topic and good artwork imo. Why are you throwing in something that is a rework?

iloveschocobos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iloveschocobos
effiew wrote:I'd like it more if the art on the veggies was a little better executed. It's a cute idea.

Thanks!

I agree. I tried to make the broccoli stalk more detailed, but it didn't quite come out like I thought it would. The carrot was from a previous derby entry, my first one actually.

In general I need to work on my detail work for sure. Getting better on the pen tablet as I use it more for practice.

BaldBob007

Re: I'm doing science and I'm still alive

Simple, wearable and charming! And a Portal reference (even if in name only) is rarely a bad thing. ;)

kc6201

Re: research methodology

Hmm, never tried that one before.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus

I could swear that we've seen at least 2 DNA shirts here before? TGentry did one (about 300x better than this) and the 1988: The Human Genome Project...

Oh, originality.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

zekecatz

quality posts: 202 Private Messages zekecatz
Josephus wrote:My brother accidentally stapled his shoe to his foot with a construction staplegun a long time ago. The Drs at the ER used vicegrips to pull it out.

I hope your brother is okay. Just a regular staple in the thumb hurt so much.

jbb04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbb04
Re: transwarp beamin hypothesis

Well, that's brilliant! Do they still have sandwiches there?

mjc613

Re: from the hypothesis to the law

I do not see the theme here. No science, no method.

iloveschocobos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iloveschocobos
Re: She Blew Me Up With Science

I agree! The shading is fantastic and I love:

the look on the cat's face
the picture calculations on the chalkboard

I hope I get to buy this shirt, it's sweet!

saera55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saera55
Re: Order of Operations

My only issue with this shirt is that there are two times when you add [granola bar/2]. Once at the beginning and once at the end. So.. the math doesn't really add up for me.

However, I'm still voting yes and I'm still buying it if it gets picked. :D

mjc613

Re: transwarp beamin hypothesis

It's a Star Trek reference, but I do not see the theme here. Where is the methodology?

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday

What a shckingly massive redesign. I can tell you put a lot of work into this one. It's completely different from the last time.

As for the BS tie in to Rosalind Franklin (by the way why are the telomeres still "disintegrating") I fail to see any reference to her crystallography. It appears you kind of put in a hashed x but I'm not even sure that's it. What I'm looking for is the following and it's not there.

And to use this as a tie in to the scientific method is pretty weak anyway since rarely is the accepted method of science "steal someone else's data and use it to scoop their research."

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
mrwednesday wrote:

Aside from similar shirts exist and thematic connection, the above is grounds for rejection alone.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen