frik

quality posts: 1 Private Messages frik

What a disappointing derby.

No. Yes.

Spotsmom

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Spotsmom
CrescentDebris wrote:I think this shirt is cool because it doesn't say "Hey, I like this junk". It could be taken as just a statement of how terrifying this **** is. I know I'M terrified by the thought. Nice job.

My thoughts, too. You beat me to it and said it well.

Sadly, I'm clueless about most of those memes, and just found out last week what a 'meme' was! Shirt STILL works!

Best in show, I think.

fenrath

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fenrath
Re: ALL YOUR CUPCAEKS

Somebody Set us up the Stains...

Take Off All Victoria Stillwell!

For Great Cupcakes...

jme410

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jme410
Re: Not Amused

Great line work and simple color scheme. I quite like this one, though I would not typically be drawn to shirts with cats.
I agree that this has appeal for the un-meme'd. personally I am not a fan of LOL cats (really not a fan), but anybody who logs on should know something about them.
well done!

jme410

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jme410
Re: Not Amused

Great line work and simple color scheme. I quite like this one, though I would not typically be drawn to shirts with cats.
I agree that this has appeal for the un-meme'd. personally I am not a fan of LOL cats (really not a fan), but anybody who logs on should know something about them.
well done!

grayehound

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grayehound
frik wrote:Is there anyway you can share how you got that distressed look to the color? Was that a specific brush? I've attempted the same look myself and it has looked too contrived.

Sure, distressing an image should be a basic skill for any designer. I have a mess of scraps of paper I did various scratches and marks on with black ink and anything from a wire brush to a crowquill pen to some random scrap of wood I found in the garage. I've scanned these and brought them into AI and Live Traced them with the Comic Art option. When I need one, I open it up, copy it and put it over the final image, then set the color to the same as the shirt color. I had to clean up this one some so the distressing wasn't obliterating words or important parts of the art. When I was happy with it, I selected everything and hit Merge, then deleted everything that was the shirt color.

There are sites all over that have free texture images you can use, but you need to have one that is both high contrast and 80-90% white so your image doesn't get completely obscured by the distress.

grayehound

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grayehound
frik wrote:What a disappointing derby.

It's a tough and remarkably narrow theme, tho, too.

rivetheart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rivetheart
Re: Taxonomy of LOLcats

this is FANTASTIC!! really well done and absolutely adorable ;)

sogj

quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj
Re: Will They Blend?

If this doesn't win I'm tattooing it on my face.

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

be10der2me

quality posts: 0 Private Messages be10der2me
Re: Super Happy Fun Roll

"Rejected because: With a lot of thought here, I'm not seeing any commentary on Katamari character. There's clearly no issue with the use of the meme characters, but there's not comment on Katamari."

Not only is your judgment bad, your English is worse!
This should be allowed to compete along with all the other entries! You said yourself there is no issue with Katamari..."no comment" I believe you said.

After all what is a meme but copy write infringing of overly posted cutesy themes?
I implore you to put a tad bit more thought into this entry and the artists right to sub it. Either that or reject the other entries that have copy write infringement possibilities. PLAY FAIR!

be10der2me

Re: shirt 101

Definite violation of rule:
No extraneous text. If your chosen meme has an essential text element (like the "Very Erotic Very Violent" meme), you can use it. No dialogue or exposition, though.
REFER TO #2 & #3 in definitions.
ex·po·si·tion
   /ˌɛkspəˈzɪʃən/ Show Spelled[ek-spuh-zish-uhn] Show IPA
–noun
a large-scale public exhibition or show, as of art or manufactured products: an exposition of 19th-century paintings; an automobile exposition.
the act of expounding, setting forth, or explaining: the exposition of a point of view.
writing or speech primarily intended to convey information or to explain; a detailed statement or explanation; explanatory treatise: The students prepared expositions on familiar essay topics.
the act of presenting to view; display: The singer gave a splendid exposition of vocal talent.
exposure ( def. 10 ) .
the state of being exposed; exposure.
Music . the first section of a fugue or a sonata form, in which the principal themes normally are introduced.
(in a play, novel, etc.) dialogue, description, etc., that gives the audience or reader the background of the characters and the present situation.

Darquis

quality posts: 28 Private Messages Darquis
be10der2me wrote:Definite violation of rule:
No extraneous text. If your chosen meme has an essential text element (like the "Very Erotic Very Violent" meme), you can use it. No dialogue or exposition, though.
REFER TO #2 & #3 in definitions.
ex·po·si·tion
   /ˌɛkspəˈzɪʃən/ Show Spelled[ek-spuh-zish-uhn] Show IPA
–noun
a large-scale public exhibition or show, as of art or manufactured products: an exposition of 19th-century paintings; an automobile exposition.
the act of expounding, setting forth, or explaining: the exposition of a point of view.
writing or speech primarily intended to convey information or to explain; a detailed statement or explanation; explanatory treatise: The students prepared expositions on familiar essay topics.
the act of presenting to view; display: The singer gave a splendid exposition of vocal talent.
exposure ( def. 10 ) .
the state of being exposed; exposure.
Music . the first section of a fugue or a sonata form, in which the principal themes normally are introduced.
(in a play, novel, etc.) dialogue, description, etc., that gives the audience or reader the background of the characters and the present situation.

Yeah except that it's integral to their meme. How do you do a flowchart without text?

Darquis

llandar wrote:Domo-kun is a copyrighted property of NHK-Tokyo. Using him in internet memes for fun is generally accepted because you're basically giving their mascot free publicity.

Using him to sell a shirt, however, might raise their ire.

See, and that's what you should have said (you being hypothetical rejectionator) instead of "no commentary" - because woot's let fly parody without commentary quite a few times before.

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT

be10der2me wrote:"Rejected because: With a lot of thought here, I'm not seeing any commentary on Katamari character. There's clearly no issue with the use of the meme characters, but there's not comment on Katamari."

Maybe they mean that there is no parody with that particular character?

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

Darquis

be10der2me wrote:"Rejected because: With a lot of thought here, I'm not seeing any commentary on Katamari character. There's clearly no issue with the use of the meme characters, but there's not comment on Katamari."

Not only is your judgment bad, your English is worse!
This should be allowed to compete along with all the other entries! You said yourself there is no issue with Katamari..."no comment" I believe you said.

After all what is a meme but copy write infringing of overly posted cutesy themes?
I implore you to put a tad bit more thought into this entry and the artists right to sub it. Either that or reject the other entries that have copy write infringement possibilities. PLAY FAIR!

It's funny that you're criticizing the english of woot while constantly spelling words wrong.

Anyway, the standard for copyrighted characters has always been parody or commentary on the character being displayed. This was rejected for not having any commentary (in part) - and you'd be right if this was inconsistently applied across the derby.

But most of the other entries display some form of parody. In the case of this entry, he Prince is rolling up a bunch of memes - which is exactly what he'd do in game (the Katamari games consist of rolling up similarly themed objects. For example, memes/meme characters). Since there's no commentary and no parody, this sort of buttafuocos the copyrighted character test.

Even some of the entries which do have parody have been rejected, so it's not just some attack on Ramy

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
paigeg wrote:C'mon, Chuck, you can do it! Katamari's gone, now let's push that Shirt 101 aside and hit the fog - GO!

(For the record - can't wear a giant flowchart on my chest, just can't)

I just don't think Norris has it in him anymore, he is getting old you know Thanks for the support on this everyone, I know no one really liked this derby but lets hope for the next one

SnowQueenVT

tjost wrote:I just don't think Norris has it in him anymore, he is getting old you know Thanks for the support on this everyone, I know no one really liked this derby but lets hope for the next one

v

Re: All Your Cheezburger

Puleease!!!How can you say that!

All our Cheezburger are belong to Tjost AAAAND Norris!!!

SnowQueenVT

Re: puppet pal keyboard cat loves double rainbows

My daughter says "OH, thats so cute!"

SnowQueenVT

Re: At the end of the Double Rainbow resub

I didn't even know this was yours! I don't know much (anything) about these memes I will have to look for them...

But, know I'll get it eventually, glad I located your entry!

(back now, just located "double rainbow" clip, too funny!

rjohnson313

quality posts: 8 Private Messages rjohnson313
ste7enl wrote:wow, almost to the top 10...though theres a big difference in votes from here to there

I really like this design and would buy it if it prints! I don't know if you meant it as a critique on capitalism, but as someone who is disgusted with the capitalist system I took it that way. Nice work either way.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
SnowQueenVT wrote:Puleease!!!How can you say that!

All our Cheezburger are belong to Tjost AAAAND Norris!!!

Haha thanks for the support, haven't heard from you in a while

walmazan

quality posts: 71 Private Messages walmazan
thatrobert wrote:

• Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Winning a BLA does NOT mean this shirt won't print -- I'm hoping it does.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • It's time to learn; tiger stretch, tiger burn, and the calendar pages blew.

Thanks for the mention! I love it!

SnowQueenVT

v

Re: All Your Cheezburger

tjost wrote:Haha thanks for the support, haven't heard from you in a while

Yes, I was away all summer and I don't know any memes!!!
Soooo , I read a book Thursday night instead! (and it felt great.)Your shirt makes me want to watch a Chuck Norris film!!(With a cheezburger!Such a great job! Rock on Tjost!)

ichimunki

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ichimunki
brownsquirrel wrote:

Similar shirts exit.

And you know they exist since, you know, MJ subbed this here at woot.

Dude. Similar *sushi* exists.

http://noms.icanhascheezburger.com/2010/09/24/funny-food-photos-katamari-da-sushi/

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 16 Private Messages benjaminleebates
fenrath wrote:Somebody Set us up the Stains...

Take Off All Victoria Stillwell!

For Great Cupcakes...

Waaaah?!?

be10der2me

Darquis wrote:Yeah except that it's integral to their meme. How do you do a flowchart without text?

The meme itself is questionable, did you visit know your meme? If you had then you would know this to be true.
It is a clear violation of the rules and yet it hasn't been expunged by Woot. Go figure!

ravenhaired

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ravenhaired
RIAAMostWanted wrote:This is a terrible idea for a t-shirt. I would NEVER want to wear a shirt referencing pedobear, or anonymous. These memes aren't from the same realm of the internet as the rest of the memes that have been referenced in this derby. No offense to 4channers, but these memes are NSFW at all, and don't belong on a woot t-shirt.

Hate to break it to you, but 4chan is responsible for the majority of internet memes, period. They kinda are from the same realm of the internet.

w00kiekrisp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages w00kiekrisp
Re: Double Dramatic Overlook (Re-sub)

I approve of this shirt.

daisyhalfwit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daisyhalfwit
phd2001 wrote:why would you want to stalk someone who is not cute?

Why would you want to stalk anyone PERIOD? I object to this shirt because it endorses sexual harassment of women, cute or not. Your comment just reinforced why I dislike this shirt.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 40 Private Messages BootsBoots
sogj wrote:If this doesn't win I'm tattooing it on my face.

I DARE you. ;)

jandk113

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jandk113
daisyhalfwit wrote:Why would you want to stalk anyone PERIOD? I object to this shirt because it endorses sexual harassment of women, cute or not. Your comment just reinforced why I dislike this shirt.

Sounds like you are a little too up tight.... get over it...Stalking doesn't have to be sexual....doesn't even have to be violent...ANYWAY..you don't have to buy the shirt. Plus one from me!

I ♥ WOOT!!!

blammoed

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blammoed
paigeg wrote:Ooops, but your shirt comp is still showing the other design, sans longcat.

Longcat is actually between the double rainbows. Kinda subtle to see.

and @BootsBoots: Thanks! :3

SnowQueenVT

Re: What does it meme? (Longcat Edition!)

Now I see longcat! This is really sweet and as everyone keeps saying\thinking, the expression on your cat is so wonderful.Really nice job!!!

SnowQueenVT

I wish everyone would post a bunch of comments because I want stuff to read!!!

Ko7a

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ko7a
Re: Anonymous Seal Of Approbal

not a good entry, you would get scorned by real anons for wearing it, because it goes against everything about 4chan.

phantompeanut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phantompeanut
Re: Containment Breach

Best by far

Only one I would wear

kc6201

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kc6201
RIAAMostWanted wrote:This is a terrible idea for a t-shirt. I would NEVER want to wear a shirt referencing pedobear, or anonymous. These memes aren't from the same realm of the internet as the rest of the memes that have been referenced in this derby. No offense to 4channers, but these memes are NSFW at all, and don't belong on a woot t-shirt.

Not from the same realm of the internet? I thought like 95% of internet memes originated at 4chan, or at least they greatly popularize them there.

Oops, looks like Ravenhaired already said as much.

kc6201

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kc6201
Re: ALL YOUR CUPCAEKS

The dog kind of looks like more like a cow or a goat, but otherwise I really like it.

parrotworks

quality posts: 17 Private Messages parrotworks
daisyhalfwit wrote:Why would you want to stalk anyone PERIOD?

For the record, the logic states the only people being stalked are people who have taken your shirt

themadteaparty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages themadteaparty

I'm sad. I really dig this shirt. It would have been a buy.