arilvdc

quality posts: 11 Private Messages arilvdc
Assassin15 wrote:Maybe I'm stupid and I'm not getting something important, but why is it Manio?

Because the original is titled 'son of man'

travisl

quality posts: 4 Private Messages travisl

Now if they would only remake the final chase scene from Thomas Crown with Pierce Brosnan wearing overalls and a red cap.

JadenKale

quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale
llamabox wrote:Explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Son_of_Man_%28Magritte%29

Maybe if people repost this image over and over every few comments, people will catch the reference.

You're assuming people READ the posts.

funkdragon23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages funkdragon23

I know this one! James Bond was trying to steal this painting from that girl from Major League. But he got away with it cuz he wore a hat.

The gilded frame initially threw me off, but works great here.

azdarkknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages azdarkknight

hmm I think if I were Nintendo Id have issues with allowing this to print.. maybe I dont know Mario too well though..

tazfreeatlast

quality posts: 20 Private Messages tazfreeatlast

"Hello Americans, You know what the news is, in a minute, you're going to hear ... the rest of the story."

Woot Employee X: "We have too many extra shirts in brown. How will we ever sell them all?"
Woot Employee Y: "Just slap some popular video game reference on it & you'll probably sell out before noon."

"And now you know… the rest of the story." - Paul Harvey (1918-2009)

wolfblade

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wolfblade

I wonder if the mushroom on his face is scratch and sniff. I know the apple in the non-parody version is.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
wolfblade wrote:I wonder if the mushroom on his face is scratch and sniff. I know the apple in the non-parody version is.

What they don't tell you is, when you scratch the original version (which is what they call the non-parody origin of a parody... tell your friends), it doesn't smell like apple. It smells of paint with a vague after-whiff of the-cell-you're-tossed-in-for-vandalizing-art

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
llamabox wrote:Explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Son_of_Man_%28Magritte%29

Maybe if people repost this image over and over every few comments, people will catch the reference.

Given the people who couldn't figure out the BLT shirt yesterday, and the mentions to the pillow prior being a bivalve mollusk of some sort, you're either talking to a group of people who know better and think they're hilarious, or a group of people who are obstinately devoted to simply not knowing what images signify.

which is to say, education will not work, and childs will be left-behind-ed

SaintWacko

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SaintWacko

This makes me think of the portraits in the castle in Super Mario 64.

Knowledge is power,
Power corrupts,
Study hard, be evil.

Woots:
2X Sandisk Sansa Clip 2gb, April Fool's Boggy Old Creature, Anniversary edition Boggy Old Creature

mistical

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mistical

I was going to purchase this until I saw it was a brown t-shirt. buttafuoco. :|

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
AdderXYU wrote:Given the people who couldn't figure out the BLT shirt yesterday,

Hey, I resemble that remark! I still say that lettuce wasn't very lettuce-looking at first glance. Although at least I didn't post, "I don't understand what this image is," since the shirt title clarified the situation.

I'm too much of a modern art Philistine to have recognized the reference on today's shirt, so thanks to everybody who posted the answer.

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
aar0n5150 wrote:I like this parody better:

now if i were the original artist i'd definitely sue for being put on a mac ;)

mysticeden

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mysticeden

I Can't believe how many people don't get the reference... WTH?!

Randyotter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Randyotter

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 206 Private Messages Spiritgreen

It's like the pop culture, witness relocation program here sometimes. All backs of heads and obscured faces. ^_^

Nice parody. Congrats on printing, Jonah!

jeremytheindian

quality posts: 17 Private Messages jeremytheindian
aoviss wrote:Anything with console games on it screams "I AM IMMATURE" anyways.

Fo real... PC games all the way!

Wootx16-Winex1-Kidsx13-Shirtx20-Selloutx8-Homex1-BOCx2

kalty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kalty

Why are all the good shirts in brown???

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg

A Mario shirt? Really?

norin731

quality posts: 0 Private Messages norin731

Who knew Mario got down with the shrooms?

dahulk678

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dahulk678
fyredriftwood wrote:Here is some background information on the original painting - The Son of Man:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Son_of_Man_%28Magritte%29

Well, this shirt makes a LOT more sense now! Thanks!!

frik

quality posts: 1 Private Messages frik

As soon as I saw this the Mario theme music started playing in my head. I'm now on level 2. Hope the music goes away soon and gets replaced by the usual voices.

No. Yes.

Mocheez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mocheez

And here I thought the shirt was a nice throw back reference to the game Mario Paint - Super Nintendo!

watsons0625

quality posts: 2 Private Messages watsons0625

I get the reference but still think it's silly.

ichimunki

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ichimunki

Wow. If Adder is not going to complain about the use of trademarked characters and graphics, then I will. Dear Woot: is this thing licensed by Nintendo? Using someone else's trademarked characters in a parody of a completely different artwork goes beyond even my idea of fair use. The only reason this shirt has any selling power is that it trades on the long term success of the Donkey Kong character. Perhaps as a unique painting I could get behind this as a statement on the importance of video game characters. But as a t-shirt for sale, I feel the use of Mario is more like... bait to attract suckers.

spanchenblow

quality posts: 10 Private Messages spanchenblow

I'd appreciate this more if it were a green 1-up mushroom. Color palette limitation?

RaveDroid

quality posts: 15 Private Messages RaveDroid

I think the magic mushroom mask is slightly too large. I'd sort of like to see more sky AND ocean behind him, that seemed to be a rather prominent aspect of the original work.. Also his left elbow doesn't appear to be bending backward...

If you can read this, yourᅠbrowser'sᅠCompatibilityᅠsettings
areᅠconfiguredᅠcorrectly.ᅠᅠツ

Jesterstone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jesterstone

In For Two !WOOT!

groosalugg

quality posts: 4 Private Messages groosalugg

DO!NOT!WANT!!!

Why are all the shirts this week stupid-as-heck? Can't we please have some well rendered artistic designs?

jjness

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jjness

I know he doesn't provide clever nomenclature, but wouldn't Luigi have been a better candidate? Tall, slender, more closely matching the original Son of Man. Besides, he still doesn't get as many chances to shine over his brother...

Man I should buy a Wii and get that ghostbusting Luigi game again...

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS

Will this shirt work with my Wii?

wolfwoodxlv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wolfwoodxlv

http://www.threadless.com/submission/274066/the_Son_of_Manio/showmore,designs

?????

SegaAges

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SegaAges

This is why you don't pass out early at college parties. You wake up with a huge "mushroom" bruise on your face. Maybe this "mushroom" was drawn on his face with colored sharpies.

frantix

quality posts: 2 Private Messages frantix
Assassin15 wrote:Maybe I'm stupid and I'm not getting something important, but why is it Manio?

Because using an "R" would make it an easier lawsuit?

regentswift

quality posts: 3 Private Messages regentswift

Shouldn't one of his arms be on backwards?

juszen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juszen
aoviss wrote:Doesnt remind me of the original at all.

Anything with console games on it screams "I AM IMMATURE" anyways.

Putting people down also screams "I AM IMMATURE". Especially on an internet forum for a shopping website.

ChefJoAnnaM

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ChefJoAnnaM

who came up with "Ceci n’est pas une Pipeworld"???

you are a genius and i want to have your babies.

¡ʎɹƃunɥ ʎɹǝʌ 'ʎɹǝʌ ǝɹɐ noʎ :ǝƃɐssǝɯ lɐuıɯılqns

volto

quality posts: 4 Private Messages volto

He looks like he ate a weber grill.

ct5150

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ct5150

funny concept, bad picture

biotwist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages biotwist

I wanted to print this on cream but i was told wooters don't like cream