trekmiss

quality posts: 8 Private Messages trekmiss

My very first woot was bought following a similar glitch. It was not exactly the same, but what I remember is that woot made the item available for purchase again allowing those who got excluded by the glitch an opportunity to buy the item. See this post to see how woot responded. The item was made available the next day just like the post says.

Here we are 4 years later, with a glitch keeping people from buying a shirt, thinking they had more time. Wouldn't it be great if woot responded this time like they did that time 4 years ago and made that shirt available for those who still want to purchase it?

watchtherain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages watchtherain

I'm pissed. Really, really pissed.

So.. with this reckoning, the shirts were greyed out, and the [You have until MIDNIGHT to buy these shirts, or they'll be gone] displayed. I signed on, noticed the 'Exercise' shirt was listed in spot #21 (a HUGE surprise), and I bought it. 'Weight Ratios' was listed at 20... aka SAFE.

WHEN 21-27 ARE GREYED OUT for reckoning, IT SHOULD BE FINAL. Changes and purchases in those final hours should NOT affect Reckoning standings. AND any shirts pulled out of 1-20 and into the reckoning category after the greying out happens should be given a reprieve of some kind.. a final notice if you will.

Allowing sales in the final hours for shirts that have been announced as to be reckoned, and allowing that to affect standings not only bastardizes the normal ratings system (letting shirts that should have lost hang on), but it allows an opportunity for shirts that SHOULD have been safe to be lost.

I'm extremely, extremely disappointed that they let this happen. It's weak, and broken, and should be fixed. Also, any shirts lost this way (including Weight Ratios) should be allowed reprieve.

joelterrific

quality posts: 21 Private Messages joelterrific

Staff

I'm not going to claim to watch the Reckoning from 11:50am until 12am on Tuesday so someone feel free to correct my understanding of events. As I understand from DEV, Weight Ratios, at noon appeared in 20th place. The rogue sale of Black Hole, started before noon, completed after noon. At that point, Weight Ratios moved out of safety. This all would have been settled by 12:15 -12:30pm with Weight Ratios showing in the Reckoned zone for nearly the entire last-chance window for purchase. I don't know that sales would have been as negatively affected as some might think.

A correction in logic is needed to keep shirts from jumping around after noon, but the calculation was sound. I'm still happy to keep looking at this so any additional info is appreciated.

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
joelterrific wrote:I'm not going to claim to watch the Reckoning from 11:50am until 12am on Tuesday so someone feel free to correct my understanding of events. As I understand from DEV, Weight Ratios, at noon appeared in 20th place. The rogue sale of Black Hole, started before noon, completed after noon. At that point, Weight Ratios moved out of safety. This all would have been settled by 12:15 -12:30pm with Weight Ratios showing in the Reckoned zone for nearly the entire last-chance window for purchase. I don't know that sales would have been as negatively affected as some might think.

A correction in logic is needed to keep shirts from jumping around after noon, but the calculation was sound. I'm still happy to keep looking at this so any additional info is appreciated.

by the way, what's going on with the Classics program?

reneemunson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages reneemunson
joelterrific wrote:Weight Ratios, at noon appeared in 20th place.

Yes.

joelterrific wrote:The rogue sale of Black Hole, started before noon, completed after noon. At that point, Weight Ratios moved out of safety. This all would have been settled by 12:15 -12:30pm with Weight Ratios showing in the Reckoned zone for nearly the entire last-chance window for purchase.

No.

Weight Ratios appeared to be in 20th place almost the entire 12 hours, not changing to grey until very near midnight.

I did not see the 'greying' happen, but when checking at around 9pm Pacific time, Weight Ratios was still in 20th place.

reneemunson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages reneemunson
reneemunson wrote:No.

Weight Ratios appeared to be in 20th place almost the entire 12 hours, not changing to grey until very near midnight.

I did not see the 'greying' happen, but when checking at around 9pm Pacific time, Weight Ratios was still in 20th place.

Note these two posts from just after midnight:

bluejester wrote:Wait what?!?!?!

Am I the only one who is noticing this? The stuff on the charts totally went out of whack. Black Hole was supposed to be reckoned, but it jumped to number 10. Wha happen...?

and

viper9 wrote:What in the world happened to "Simple Question of Weight Ratios"!? It was #20! Then I notice a few minutes before midnight, it became grayed out! I clicked on it, and it said RECKONED!!! I was going to buy that before it died, but did not act today because it was safe!!! And now, "The Black Hole," which was RECKONED at #23, is now #10???

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
joelterrific wrote:I'm not going to claim to watch the Reckoning from 11:50am until 12am on Tuesday so someone feel free to correct my understanding of events. As I understand from DEV, Weight Ratios, at noon appeared in 20th place. The rogue sale of Black Hole, started before noon, completed after noon. At that point, Weight Ratios moved out of safety. This all would have been settled by 12:15 -12:30pm with Weight Ratios showing in the Reckoned zone for nearly the entire last-chance window for purchase. I don't know that sales would have been as negatively affected as some might think.

I suppose anything I put down here is going to sound like sour grapes since it's my design that was reckoned, but here goes.

I'm not upset about my shirt being reckoned. If the numbers show it in 21st, so be it, I had a good run and did way better than expected. The reckoning is based on sales and that's life in the big city.

However.

What you wrote is mostly correct, Joel, with the exception of 'Weight Ratios' was erroneously appearing in 20th place and *not* being grayed out from noon until just before midnight. If it had switched to grayed out at 12:30 or whenever that rogue purchase was finished there wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Meanwhile, 'Black Hole' *was* erroneously shown in 23rd place and grayed out the entire time, from noon until midnight.

Everyone who has been here a decent amount of time knows that people watch the reckoning to see if there's a shirt sitting in the danger zone that they are waiting to pick up.

Especially on Monday afternoons.

About sales: Many people specifically wait to make up their minds until a shirt is grayed out before buying. Once a shirt is "permanently" grayed out in 21st thru 27th place, many times that shirt will get a boost in sales because it will be gone forever (unless you bring back Classics, *wink* *wink*).

This week, 'Black Hole' was erroneously shown to be in 23rd at the bell. Everyone saw it this way all afternoon. It got enough sales in those 12 hours to drive it up to 10th place.

To summarize, I think people are upset because they weren't given proper notice that 'Weight Ratios' was going to be reckoned. It only seems fair to allow them the chance to purchase for that last 12 hours.

(still sounds like sour grapes)

So that's the story, and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks.

-art

LarryLars

quality posts: 67 Private Messages LarryLars
artulo wrote:
... It only seems fair to allow them the chance to purchase for that last 12 hours. ...

Agreed, and it's NOT sour grapes!

!
Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

LarryLars

LarryLars wrote:
Agreed, and it's NOT sour grapes!

but it is sour grapes when your post gets the ax for suggesting that a certain woot employee remarks were out of hand (regardless of the word filter on their post).

!

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 162 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
artulo wrote:'Weight Ratios' was erroneously appearing in 20th place and *not* being grayed out from noon until just before midnight. If it had switched to grayed out at 12:30 or whenever that rogue purchase was finished there wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Meanwhile, 'Black Hole' *was* erroneously shown in 23rd place and grayed out the entire time, from noon until midnight.

To summarize, I think people are upset because they weren't given proper notice that 'Weight Ratios' was going to be reckoned. It only seems fair to allow them the chance to purchase for that last 12 hours.

This is correct for me as well. "Weight Ratios" appeared to be safe almost the whole day. The people who wanted to buy the shirt DID NOT know it was in the danger zone. That's why people freaked out when it was Reckoned.

If anything a special 12 hour sale period for it this Monday would be very nice.

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
DianaSprinkle wrote:This is correct for me as well. "Weight Ratios" appeared to be safe almost the whole day. The people who wanted to buy the shirt DID NOT know it was in the danger zone. That's why people freaked out when it was Reckoned.

If anything a special 12 hour sale period for it this Monday would be very nice.

Joel, this is what I saw, too. Weigh Ratios was safe basically the entire day. And then all of a sudden *boom* it got the axe at midnight, and that's when everyone on the forums started losing their minds.

I like DS's idea of weight ratios having a 12 hour period of sales for the shirt this coming Monday. It only seems fair. And you're a fair guy, Joel, I know ya are

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat

My understanding of the reckoning was that once it was announced, those shirts were set in stone as the ones that were going, and you had the rest of the day to buy them. Not that shirts could suddenly leap out and be safe again. If that's not the case, then what's the point?

Seems to me that the weight ratios shirt should just go back on the chart. Not 12 hours. It was safe at #20, so at least slide it into #21 right now and see how it all shakes out.

bluejester

quality posts: 569 Private Messages bluejester

Same here, I too saw the "Weight Ratios" as safe all day and "Black Hole" in the Reckoning spot.
Hence, I bought a medium women's tee of "Black Hole" for my little sister figuring it was getting sucked away by the more powerful force of the Reckoning.

Also I was figuring that "Weight Ratios" would be safe for a while longer and I could wait another week on deciding whether or not to get it.

A "Cameo Appearance" of "Weight Ratios" on Monday sounds like a good idea to me as well.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
llandar wrote:He tries to put a fresh coat of paint on it every now and then, but Adder's basic argument (every. single. time.) boils down to "I don't like how things are run, and I think they should run MY way because I think my way's better and I'll call everyone who disagrees 'SPOOKTACULAR!' until I win."

If you read anything I ever wrote, you'd know that wasn't true. My argument is "things are broken. fix them."

"My Way" is "choose designs that have creative merit." That's not some obtuse personal statement. It's pretty easy to discern creativity. It is "hold designers accountable for their actions." That means having a finite amount of times someone can make egregious derby errors before they're put in a designer doghouse. If you're rejected every other week because "similar shirts exist," and the other weeks are questionable too, someone needs to be on watch. This is not some difficult, exclusionary mindset, unless you also feel that the pizza place down the road that serves pies that tastes like cardboard is excluded if it is not allowed into the citywide "best pizza" contest.

You read what you want to read. You are not remotely reading what's being said, and you are definitely not realizing how many people, at the root, agree with me. If it was just about personal taste, why would anyone, let alone longstanding wooters (and I'd say the majority of the artists here) take even the slightest stock in what I'm saying? There are huge issues at play here which need fixing. I don't mind that people aren't in love with how I say it, because I know there is no small number of people who nevertheless understand what is being said. Writing off my voice is writing off this "weight ratios" issue, which totally screwed artulo over (someone who already languishes most weeks no matter what he submits, ironically enough). It's writing off the fact that multiple accounts exist, and writing off how different a derby could be some weeks if 10, or even 1, vote had been cast differently. It's writing off the simple question of what deserves promotion: the guy who can bring in the most quick money, or the guy who will do the best job? Sure, I want it "my way." Because I think my way is better-reasoned and fairer. To the same token, one could say you want things "your way." So lay out your reasons. It is simply not good enough to say "that's the way it is". I know the way it is. The debate is, what is the way it should be and why?

trekmiss

quality posts: 8 Private Messages trekmiss
joelterrific wrote:This all would have been settled by 12:15 -12:30pm with Weight Ratios showing in the Reckoned zone for nearly the entire last-chance window for purchase. I don't know that sales would have been as negatively affected as some might think.

But that is not what happened. Weight Ratios showed up in the #20 spot appearing to be safe, and Black Hole appeared in the Reckoning at #23. If they had been the other way around, I imagine you would have seen a lot more Weight Ratios sold on Monday and a lot less Black Holes.

Plactus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Plactus
reneemunson wrote:No.

After midnight. After seeing in this thread that something weird had happened with last week's reckoning, I checked last week's standings.

Weight Ratios was still listed at #20, but grayed out like since-reckoned shirts on older reckonings are. Black Hole was still #23, with the "buy" button still there.

There was no indication Weight Ratios would be reckoned until it was, and it was still listed as if it were safe until some time after it was gone.

DStarW

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DStarW

NOOOOOOOOO.... I can't believe I missed out on weight ratio's.... there goes one christmas present for my fiance... dang he's gonna be so sad I missed that... :-( pouty face

dabearon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dabearon

Rats! I wanted to get Weight Ratios for my wife for Christmas, but wasn't in any hurry since it seemed solidly in the top twenty.

jr637

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jr637

Everyone was trashing the meme derby, and yet the Poker Game shirt is still in the top 2. YOU CAN MAKE A GOOD SHIRT FOR ABOUT ANYTHING

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
jr637 wrote:Everyone was trashing the meme derby, and yet the Poker Game shirt is still in the top 2. YOU CAN MAKE A GOOD SHIRT FOR ABOUT ANYTHING

You can make a *popular* shirt for about anything.

Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15

What a dull reckoning... The only thing that has moved all week is Fear of the Dark, and that doesn't count as interesting.

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

bluejester

quality posts: 569 Private Messages bluejester

Perhaps the simple solution to this hubub is the "Shoot us both, Spock" manuevar?

i.e. Reckon both of them?

kira89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kira89
kathwren wrote:Bummed about the exercise shirt going away. I bought one but my hubby snagged it before I could wear it. Now I can't replace it!!! boohoo!!

Have 2 weights and measures shirts already, so safe there.

Silly Halloween shirts messing up our list!! grumble!

Ughh I know! I am so upset that I missed buying it.

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
bluejester wrote:Perhaps the simple solution to this hubub is the "Shoot us both, Spock" manuevar?

i.e. Reckon both of them?

While that would be a fair solution, it wouldn't fix what happened to Weight Ratios

joelterrific

Staff

artulo wrote:I suppose anything I put down here is going to sound like sour grapes since it's my design that was reckoned, but here goes.

I'm not upset about my shirt being reckoned. If the numbers show it in 21st, so be it, I had a good run and did way better than expected. The reckoning is based on sales and that's life in the big city.

However.

What you wrote is mostly correct, Joel, with the exception of 'Weight Ratios' was erroneously appearing in 20th place and *not* being grayed out from noon until just before midnight. If it had switched to grayed out at 12:30 or whenever that rogue purchase was finished there wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Everyone who has been here a decent amount of time knows that people watch the reckoning to see if there's a shirt sitting in the danger zone that they are waiting to pick up.

Especially on Monday afternoons.

About sales: Many people specifically wait to make up their minds until a shirt is grayed out before buying. Once a shirt is "permanently" grayed out in 21st thru 27th place, many times that shirt will get a boost in sales because it will be gone forever (unless you bring back Classics, *wink* *wink*).

This week, 'Black Hole' was erroneously shown to be in 23rd at the bell. Everyone saw it this way all afternoon. It got enough sales in those 12 hours to drive it up to 10th place.

(still sounds like sour grapes)

So that's the story, and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks.

-art

Thanks for the clarification (and others too). This give me a better understanding of the issue and could indicate other issues we're unaware of. Let me get with the Devs and see what to make of that.

dianaemmert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dianaemmert

I wanted more of " Don't call me Robin" shirts! I waited too long BooHoo

WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

While you're out scaring the neighbors this weekend with your Halloween shenanigans, take a minute to think of our shirts sitting alone in the Reckoning, all by themselves. They've got no one to help boost them up into the Top 20 so they can avoid being cast off forever come Monday at noon. No one, that is, except you. See, when you buy a shirt not only does a bat get its wings, but that shirt moves up a little in the standings. Buy a few, and it moves a little more. Spread the word and tell your friends to buy some and it moves even MORE. Stop by the Reckoning page and see what you can do today. Then go make yourself sick on candy.

scfrome

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scfrome

Put me down in the missed Christmas gift category with the erroniously reckoned Weight Ratios.

A spot in this Monday's reckoning would be appreciated! Please?!?! Christmas presents are hard enough to find!

kathryngeiger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kathryngeiger

Oh please, oh please, oh PLEASE bring back the exercise shirt!!!!!(Some Motivation Required). I was putting off buying it, although I definitely planned to, and now I'm SO sorry I put it off. Isn't there some sort of leftover pile that might have some? Or some petition process for bringing a design back? I'm so bummed!

LarryLars

dianaemmert wrote:
I wanted more of " Don't call me Robin" shirts! I waited too long BooHoo

kathryngeiger wrote:Oh please, oh please, oh PLEASE bring back the exercise shirt!!!!!(Some Motivation Required)....

Have you searched for the shirt at teetrade.org?

!

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
kathryngeiger wrote:Oh please, oh please, oh PLEASE bring back the exercise shirt!!!!!(Some Motivation Required). I was putting off buying it, although I definitely planned to, and now I'm SO sorry I put it off. Isn't there some sort of leftover pile that might have some? Or some petition process for bringing a design back? I'm so bummed!

To be fair, you had 80+ weeks to buy it. I guess you just weren't motivated enough.

jr637

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jr637

People act like Woot is the ONLY place in the world you can find that one shirt! Search for it on eBay or something!

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
llandar wrote:He tries to put a fresh coat of paint on it every now and then, but Adder's basic argument (every. single. time.) boils down to "I don't like how things are run, and I think they should run MY way because I think my way's better and I'll call everyone who disagrees 'SPOOKTACULAR!' until I win."

Actually, Adder's argument boils down to "Woot would be much better if it made an effort to fix some of the fixed voting and if it would weed out some really poor artwork."

You don't have to like his long posts and you don't have to agree with him, but basically calling him a whiner is really uncalled for.

He is saying what others are thinking. And if you look back at some other comments (Darquis's comes to mind), others have said similar things as well, and woot just hopes we will all go away. But do you really want someone who shops as much as I do to go away? Isn't that absurd?

So now it's time for my ethical reminder: it's time to get rid of the shirt by the person you know copied ideas from at least one other artist. Imposter is under a cloud of suspicion. because of who submitted it, and rightfully so.

I am not the only one who thinks so. I saw at least 2 comments where people want to see it reckoned. Only I would put it in 27th place and not 26th.

Spotsmom

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Spotsmom
artulo wrote:Looks like they're working on the reckoning code.

I just had to post this.

Wish that were the case. But I am very sick of School, so I'd put that one right up with these.

truedivaredhead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages truedivaredhead

I wish "Order of Operations" would be offered in black. That is the ONLY thing that has kept me from ordering it. It is a very cool design but, white?!. White doesn't stand up very well to s'mores eating, camping, or anything else...

joelterrific

Staff

I'm working with Dev to bring it back for a 12 hour mea culpa.

***UPDATE***

Looks like we've got it figured out and Weight Ratios will be available until midnight tonight. Then it will be officially retired. My apologies to Artulo and thanks to you all for helping us understand the issues.

sunnydiscontent

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sunnydiscontent

Yay! Looks like a lot of you can now get Weight Ratios! :D

SunnyDiscontent

kc6201

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kc6201
joelterrific wrote:Sit tight on Weight Ratios for a minute. I'm working with Dev to bring it back for a 12 hour mea culpa.

Let me be the first to say "thank you"!

WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

It's that time again, when we say goodbye to our seven reckoned shirts which I will not name by name for fear that the standings may change afterward and I'll have a bunch of yahoos howling at me for being so dumb. That being said, if you were on the fence about shirts like The Shortcut, Gopher Guts, and In the world of black and white today's probably the day you should get 'em. Swing by the Reckoning page today and buy your favorite Danger Zone Design before it's gone forever at midnight, and stop by the Derby page to cast your vote for the next shirts we'll print and Reckon.

UPDATE: And in a special mea culpa Day of Atonement for last week's mishap, we're bringing a simple question of weight ratios back for one day only! If you missed out last week, now's your chance!

rufus2341

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rufus2341

Thanks for bringing weight ratios back for a day.