vorant1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages vorant1

Appears the radical environmentalist element has a new mascot....

[size=30]Vorant1[/size]

gcadillac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gcadillac

I give a hoot! owls are sweet, but they are still birds

DoublEE

quality posts: 8 Private Messages DoublEE

South Park ripoff? Come on guys...the shirt Woodsy has an orange feather with a round belt buckle

Just kidding. It appears that the shirt appeared before the South Park episode.

DoublEE

chrisprender wrote:You think that's bad, you should see what Smokey the Bear does to kids who don't fully extinguish their campfires.

It's not Bugs the Bunny...it's Bugs Bunny. Likewise; Smokey Bear, not Smokey the Bear.

mooglechocobo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mooglechocobo
DoublEE wrote:It's not Bugs the Bunny...it's Bugs Bunny. Likewise; Smokey Bear, not Smokey the Bear.

No, it really is Smokey the Bear. Officially he's Smokey Bear, but here's the meta description from the HTML on the official sites homepage:

"Smokey the bear wants you to Get Your Smokey On. Sign the get Your Smokey on pledge and help stop wildfires."

meestergud

quality posts: 2 Private Messages meestergud

I still remember the lyrics of the Ballad of Woodsy the Owl.

Give a hoot
Don't pollute
Let your outdoor manners show
Leave a trail
that's nice and clean
wherever you may go.

It's gotta be 20 years since I heard that song. I feel so PSA contitioned.

MeesterGud

kavaea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kavaea
noahj wrote:Ooh. Should I get this for my wife?

See, she was once boss of Smokey bear for the Pacific region of the Forest Service. She was in charge of the Smokey costumes (I wore one once to present an award to Hal Riney!) And she got to write threatening letters to people who abused the Smokey trademark (like the the Humboldt county loggers who printed up tee shirts with Smokey chainsawing dope growers).

Hooty polluty (that was the name used by USFS rangers for Woodsy Owl) was thankfully not her responsibility. But somewhere there is a person whose job it is to make sure that anyone who messes with Hooty winds up in a world of legal hurt.

Absolutely get one for your wife. I guess I better buy this short before the USFS starts cracking down.

NitsuaKun

quality posts: 49 Private Messages NitsuaKun

Give a hoot, don't pollute, or I'll put an arrow in your patoot!

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who can read binary and those who can't.

loaba

quality posts: 31 Private Messages loaba

Woodsy is gonna need to finish off that 3rd Camper LoTR style (let's hope Nightghost, err Aragorn, will be there for the save.)

Spin1701

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Spin1701

I like the dude with an arrow in the back of his head, execution style! Is that wrong?

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 209 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Woodsy always seemed like he was about to snap...

It's sad but now woodland justic will have to be meted out by the clan of cartoon bears; Smokey, Yogi, Gruffi Gummi, Butterbear and Winnie the Pooh (you wouldn't like him when he's angry).

michalc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages michalc

I've been repressing these memories from when I was a kid but Woodso always hit me if I didn't "Give a Hoot." I never though it would escalate to the point where he would kill!

RaveDroid

quality posts: 15 Private Messages RaveDroid

I don't even want to know what he's got in store for the lumberjacks. They're probably not ok for very much longer.

If you can read this, yourᅠbrowser'sᅠCompatibilityᅠsettings
areᅠconfiguredᅠcorrectly.ᅠᅠツ

rayray099

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rayray099
Jestik wrote:those are pretty tiny arrows for such a big bow.

(yes, I know: "thatz whut shee said"...)

Jigga whaaaaatt?? haha.

Awesome design, AndyG, love the vintage mod! Reminds me of School House Rock. No logical reason why. "Lolly lolly lolly get your adverbs here!" Ooops, song of the day...

RalphSpoilsport

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RalphSpoilsport

If he just shot all those arrows, why is he holding the bowstring against the back of his fore-arm?

magnesfox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages magnesfox

Either the owl let the girls get away with their lives, or this was a sausage party.

loaba

quality posts: 31 Private Messages loaba
magnesfox wrote:Either the owl let the girls get away with their lives, or this was a sausage party.

Damn, dude, you're right. This was a freaking sausage party. Woodsey has it in for the deviant lifestyle set.

jejones3141

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jejones3141

This shirt should go over well with the 10:10 folks!

dwayri

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dwayri

I thought Smokey was going to offer to carry Woodso around in his backpack a la Banjo Kazooie.

rcurl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rcurl

The kid in white is a trooper! Two in the back yet still manages to not spill his ambiguous beverage of choice!

DoublEE

mooglechocobo wrote:No, it really is Smokey the Bear. Officially he's Smokey Bear, but here's the meta description from the HTML on the official sites homepage:

"Smokey the bear wants you to Get Your Smokey On. Sign the get Your Smokey on pledge and help stop wildfires."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_Bear

"Smokey's correct name is Smokey Bear. In 1952, the songwriters Steve Nelson and Jack Rollins had a successful song named "Smokey the Bear". The pair said that "the" was added to Smokey's name to keep the song's rhythm. This small change has caused some confusion among the public ever since.[3] Note that, from the beginning, Smokey's name was intentionally spelled differently from the adjective smoky. The Forest Service emphatically denies that the name was ever "Smokey the Bear"; however, during the 1950s, that variant of the name became widespread both in popular speech and in print, including at least one standard encyclopedia.[4] A 1955 book in the Little Golden Books series was called Smokey the Bear and Smokey calls himself by this name in the book. The campaign to remind the public of the correct version of the name is almost as old as the Smokey Bear campaign itself."

mmanwitgun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmanwitgun

Shirt made me LOL, unfortunately I get the fear that while wearing it out people would think I'm an eco terrorist. Rednecks in pickups would throw beer cans at me while dirty hippies would attempt to befriend me.

Damn you Al Gore for creating such a ecologically charged political environment!. If this where ten years ago I could have totally worn that shirt.

the1manofmega

quality posts: 1 Private Messages the1manofmega

I guess Mr. Maky was right about not littering in south park lol

'Time to Spread my Creativity because its allays 420 in Wayne's World. Yay!'

IrishLass622

quality posts: 5 Private Messages IrishLass622
reneemunson wrote:The forest floor is littered with bodies. Does he need to shoot himself now?

No, they'll decompose rather quickly!

IrishLass622

quality posts: 5 Private Messages IrishLass622
Jestik wrote:those are pretty tiny arrows for such a big bow.

(yes, I know: "thatz whut shee said"...)

You know what they say...it's not the size of the arrow, it's how well you aim it! ;)

ronzalone

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ronzalone
Spiritgreen wrote:Woodsy always seemed like he was about to snap...

It's sad but now woodland justic will have to be meted out by the clan of cartoon bears; Smokey, Yogi, Gruffi Gummi, Butterbear and Winnie the Pooh (you wouldn't like him when he's angry).

This reminds me...Cartoon bears are still bears (warning graphic cartoon violence)

RandomLynx

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RandomLynx

Reminds me of that 'No Pressure' ad :P

RandomLynx

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RandomLynx
Spin1701 wrote:I like the dude with an arrow in the back of his head, execution style! Is that wrong?

He learned that technique from the one tear Indian... after the guy went rogue.

Adammadambobadam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Adammadambobadam

... and im sure we will be seeing this one again on random shirt day. i hope they didn't order too many of these!

MisterEric

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MisterEric

Are the styles for these woot shirts the same for both men and woman like the default picture on the sale.woot page. Or are the woman shirts a different style? My girlfriend wants this shirt but does not want the style in the default picture. Anyone bought a woman shirt recently and can tell me? Thanks!

vladistov

quality posts: 50 Private Messages vladistov

If I were a graphics designer, I should have a difficult time being flattered by compliments from my competitors in which their wares are shamelessly embedded . . .

meow57

quality posts: 3 Private Messages meow57

I love this shirt! I just ordered one for my 13 year old grandson. Just his type of humor. Think they'll let him wear it to school? (He lives in Barstow...)

Nicely done Andy!

rosecentaur

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rosecentaur
loaba wrote:Woodsy is gonna need to finish off that 3rd Camper LoTR style (let's hope Nightghost, err Aragorn, will be there for the save.)

LOL!

(System improvement suggestion - we should be able to woot posts in the forum.)

x3xleggedxninja

quality posts: 3 Private Messages x3xleggedxninja
andygonsalves wrote:Sigh. South Park didn't create Woodsy. Neither did I. Both incarnations are parodies of an established character. I first posted this design on the internet on August 2, 2010. South Park's Woodsy episode aired last week, on October 21, 2010.

I parodied Woodsy FIRST, dang it!

- Andy Gonsalves

Don't sigh at me. I NEVER claimed this was ripped off, all I said was "South Park anyone?" That's it. Just because it coincidentally came out about the same time doesn't mean you stole it. Please aim your sighs elsewhere.

MrD3a7h

quality posts: 29 Private Messages MrD3a7h

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but Woodsy Owl was featured in a South Park episode recently (maybe NSFW?).

Me? I'm half man, half owl, and half moose. I am ManOwlMoose. Don't tell Al Gore about me.
-Battalion of Crabs x 4 (incl Adventure Crabs x 1, Happy Hour Crabs x 1)
-Probation posts x 1

mikehsk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mikehsk

Where was this shirt when I needed it to get out of jury duty?

Why yes judge, I do favor vigilante justice and the death penalty! :-)

In for two.

Galaxie64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Galaxie64

Congrats woot, first shirt I've bought in many months.

BradfordPowell

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BradfordPowell

I'm in for one. I'll add a "Leave No Trace" (TM) logo to the shirt and add it to my "Conservation Minded" (albeit with a somewhat radical "edge")collection of t-The Touch of Satan (1971).

"Woodsy Owl" goes postal in the park! I love it! (he's not a Woot Owl or Smoky for those unworldly types who don't know who "Woodsy Owl" is..."Give a hoot, don't pollute", a late '70's early 80's ecology campaign)

LOL, "Boog"

PS: GOTO: www.lnt.org to find more on what YOU can do to reduce your impact on our wilderness and parks systems. No kidding, you do, and can, make a difference.

emeycakes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages emeycakes
MisterEric wrote:Are the styles for these woot shirts the same for both men and woman like the default picture on the sale.woot page. Or are the woman shirts a different style? My girlfriend wants this shirt but does not want the style in the default picture. Anyone bought a woman shirt recently and can tell me? Thanks!

Women's shirts are fitted so that they are actually flattering when worn. But I have to order 2 sizes up from my normal clothing size. Unless your GF is, well, flat, then she should probably go up one size.

emeycakes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages emeycakes
ronzalone wrote:This reminds me...Cartoon bears are still bears (warning graphic cartoon violence)

Hahahaha... thank you for posting that. I laughed, alot.