rtalwar88

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rtalwar88

my birthday is on Pi Day

zachj589

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zachj589

Why? I mean, I'm fairly nerdy (though you wouldn't know by looking at me, unless I was wearing my "I (Orange NES gun) Ducks" shirt), but I just don't get the appeal of having the first several digits of pi on a shirt.

Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15
acdawg wrote:You get slapped in the face by your calculator.

Oh! Well, you must have one of those really expensive calculators, cuz mine just goes, "ERR:DOMAIN", doesn't do anything special, like yours.

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15

What's the radius of this shirt? I need to find its area, to see if it will fit or not.

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
sparrowhawk69 wrote:I think they should print the whole thing. Is that too much to ask?

You mean print an infinite string of numbers on a shirt. Sure, Woot will get right on that

rasputin2012

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rasputin2012

Hey guys whatever you do, don't wear this shirt to school or you will be kicked out for cheating on your tests.

I warned you!

moronbrigade

quality posts: 23 Private Messages moronbrigade

Damnit, I wanted cake.

Seize the Opportunity.

sparrowhawk69

quality posts: 64 Private Messages sparrowhawk69
tjost wrote:You mean print an infinite string of numbers on a shirt. Sure, Woot will get right on that

"To infinity & beyond!" That's a quote by a famous astronaut. I think it applies here.

Sparrowhawk69 is in therapy for seeing bunnies everywhere & is currently a member of R.A.B.B.I.T. : "RamyB All Bunnies Because I'm Trippin" anonymous.

kevlar51

quality posts: 43 Private Messages kevlar51

Nice! Congrats thatrobert!

masterzora

quality posts: 2 Private Messages masterzora
Assassin15 wrote:Darn. I was hoping you'd tell us what happens when you take the factorial of an irrational number.

You get a gamma function: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_function

Not *exactly* taking a factorial of an irrational number, but it's the natural extension. But, wait, there's more!

Technically, the gamma function is defined such that \gamma(n) = (n-1)! (for ns that make sense, of course). If you want to not have the -1, then you're looking for.... that's right, a pi function!

Why, yes, I am a mathematician, why do you ask?

tomcall

quality posts: 102 Private Messages tomcall

Mathematician: "Pi R squared."
Baker: "No, pies are round. Cakes are squared."

rotflol

nowikissyou

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nowikissyou

This is the only pi shirt that is not repulsively geeky! Thank you for the clean design, thatrobert.

Plus I voted for it :D

emailrob

quality posts: 5 Private Messages emailrob

So I always rounded it as 3.1415927 (i.e. the next 5 rounds to a 7 not a 6). Please tell me I'm not wrong all these years....

sexylittlerobot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages sexylittlerobot

6.0221415 × 10^23

oh, my mistake...wrong thread.

MathUhhhSaurus

quality posts: 58 Private Messages MathUhhhSaurus

I have The Pi Song on my mp3 player! :D that's how big of a math nerd I am!

Examine Bindle of Carrots.
What Bindle of Carrots?

MathUhhhSaurus

tomcall wrote:Mathematician: "Pi R squared."
Baker: "No, pies are round. Cakes are squared."

rotflol

Cornbread r squared...sometimes :]

What Bindle of Carrots?

acdawg

quality posts: 28 Private Messages acdawg
sexylittlerobot wrote:6.0221415 × 10^23

Please give this person a favorite present. If there are no more available to give, take mine away and give it to him/her.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
emailrob wrote:So I always rounded it as 3.1415927 (i.e. the next 5 rounds to a 7 not a 6). Please tell me I'm not wrong all these years....

Zu Chongzhi's estimate determined that pi was between the 6 and 7. I chose to display the 6 since that would be the next correct digit in the historical development of pi.

MathUhhhSaurus

parsh33 wrote:Psh. Some of you need to get a Life (of Pi).

this made me facepalm

What Bindle of Carrots?

sparrowhawk69

quality posts: 64 Private Messages sparrowhawk69

007, I think we may have a mole.

Sparrowhawk69 is in therapy for seeing bunnies everywhere & is currently a member of R.A.B.B.I.T. : "RamyB All Bunnies Because I'm Trippin" anonymous.

tonymontana444

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tonymontana444

I remember the first time this was in the Derby and didn't make it... I am very happy to finally be able to purchase it. Congrats to thatrobert!

acdawg

quality posts: 28 Private Messages acdawg

The Pi-Search Page lets you search for strings of numbers in pi and will let you see a certain number of digits from the starting point of your choice.

Have fun!

MathUhhhSaurus

ugh...I hate that number! Curse you, Avagadro!

What Bindle of Carrots?

MathUhhhSaurus

rtalwar88 wrote:my birthday is on Pi Day

lucky...if you add a day to mine and then switch the 2 and 7, you get e day :D...it's a stretch...

What Bindle of Carrots?

therationalpi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages therationalpi
acdawg wrote:The Pi-Search Page lets you search for strings of numbers in pi and will let you see a certain number of digits from the starting point of your choice.

I used this as a way to trade numbers with a girl. My long time nickname is Pi (even my mother calls me that), and this pleasantly geeky girl knew a lot of digits. She had me at "1415926535..."

Naturally, I told her where in pi my phone number started.

Imagine my delight when I got her call!

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172

So glad to see this print! Bought one! I wish there were more derbies where text could be used.

renegadetim

quality posts: 12 Private Messages renegadetim
zachj589 wrote:Why? I mean, I'm fairly nerdy (though you wouldn't know by looking at me, unless I was wearing my "I (Orange NES gun) Ducks" shirt), but I just don't get the appeal of having the first several digits of pi on a shirt.

I'm thinking the exact same thing... Really Woot voters? In a double take, you choose a shirt with pi on it? Essentially numbers printed on a shirt...

I don't know, of all the epic shirts in this double take, I personally don't see the appeal in a shirt with numbers on it, which happens to be pi.
I really don't care that much about pi, at all.

Oh well, saves me $10.

dlcarrier

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dlcarrier

Does anyone else notice the rounding error? Zu Chongzhi's estimate was 355/113, which is only accurate to 3.141592. The shirt shows 3.1415926, but the next two digits are 53, so the number on the shirt should be rounded to 3.1415927. (I'm still buying one anyway.)

reggaemyelitis

quality posts: 32 Private Messages reggaemyelitis

Who really cares? I am soooooo bore-assed with the recent designs....

Can we not implore more mammalian-hateful designs as well as some love for the Boletus and Cantherellus species of the World of Fungi?...

“Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die.” -- Peter Tosh

Siax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Siax

I want PIE!!!

turtlesallthewaydown

quality posts: 1 Private Messages turtlesallthewaydown

I was all for this until I saw that the colour had changed from red to orange:-/ Red red orange to red orange, whatever.

She Walks Into Walls
Ouch.

lostnightsoul

quality posts: 10 Private Messages lostnightsoul

I can't find Mario in the numbers.

AaronFerg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AaronFerg

I love this shirt. I was afraid you'd never offer it when you skipped on it awhile back. Ordered.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen

It seems appropriate that this was voted Best of the Best of the Losers. ^__^

Congrats Robert! It's about darn time this printed.

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

Way to go Robert. I always love your simplistic style. You are kind of like the AC/DC of T-Shirt art!

heidipr0n

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heidipr0n

hmmmm.... Interesting he chose to truncate, rather than round....

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan

Congrats thatrobert, looks terrific! and well deserved!

ichimunki

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ichimunki
zachj589 wrote:Why? I mean, I'm fairly nerdy (though you wouldn't know by looking at me, unless I was wearing my "I (Orange NES gun) Ducks" shirt), but I just don't get the appeal of having the first several digits of pi on a shirt.

I'm with you. I don't understand this shirt. AT ALL. It doesn't seem to explain what pi is. Visually I just find it a jumble. If there's any humor in it, I'm missing it.

Please to explaining!

all0this0space

quality posts: 2 Private Messages all0this0space

Thanks, Woot staff, for showing Szymborska a little love!

(Go read 'A Large Number'. Or 'An Effort'. Or 'Buffo'. Or 'Commemoration'. ...Seriously, she's wonderful.)

MLH860

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MLH860
Assassin15 wrote:What's the radius of this shirt? I need to find its area, to see if it will fit or not.

Just go to the sizing chart for that info. Looks like the radius runs from 31" to 56".