odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc

Congrats Robert! This is a really nice piece of graphic design. Classy.

schizoreaper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages schizoreaper

ThinkGeek has 4493 digits in their design, for anyone feeling slightly more nerdy. Pi scorners can also try Tau Day, for great justice!

baku914

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baku914

This is the first shirt I have ever bought on here the day it came out. Thank you, thatrobert! I love this shirt and I am thrilled that it won! It's nice to know that fellow nerds frequent this site too.

nyhcx516x

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nyhcx516x

Trying to think of a mathematically funny comment to mix Pi and my birthday next week... but its too early in the morning. In for 1 though!

malicorneus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages malicorneus

This is not a nu design

eugaet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eugaet

Does it bother anyone else that the 1 is in front of the 3 before it passes through the 4...but behind the 3 on the other side? That's really messing with me...the 1 cutting through the 3 behind the 4.

nyhcx516x

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nyhcx516x
eugaet wrote:Does it bother anyone else that the 1 is in front of the 3 before it passes through the 4...but behind the 3 on the other side? That's really messing with me...the 1 cutting through the 3 behind the 4.

Its an MC Escher Pi!

CapSea

quality posts: 54 Private Messages CapSea

ThatRobert is one of my favorite artists here and I think he absolutely deserves not only the prize money for some of the work he's done, but also a chance to feature a design as simple as this here.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of an all text design winning an art t-shirt derby, but I guess that's okay. I would have been happier if this was a daily.

Mocheez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mocheez

Is the 'Pi' that is being talked about here the same 'Pi' being referred to in the theme song from 'The Jeffersons'?

greenman34

quality posts: 9 Private Messages greenman34

poor "e" always living in Pi's shadows. someday you will get your own shirt. someday.

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8
CapSea wrote:ThatRobert is one of my favorite artists here and I think he absolutely deserves not only the prize money for some of the work he's done, but also a chance to feature a design as simple as this here.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of an all text design winning an art t-shirt derby, but I guess that's okay. I would have been happier if this was a daily.

I respect thatrobert's skills and designs, but someone saying this was the best in the fog is a bit much.

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

rglee129

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rglee129

Wonderful, unique design. Congrats on a well deserved print!

sacrerouge

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sacrerouge

Woot, this pi-day baby is very excited

Double take derby time is the best time at woot

UltramaticOrange

quality posts: 0 Private Messages UltramaticOrange
emailrob wrote:So I always rounded it as 3.1415927 (i.e. the next 5 rounds to a 7 not a 6). Please tell me I'm not wrong all these years....

Glad to see I'm not the only one that caught that. THANK you!

nmumark

quality posts: 9 Private Messages nmumark
chrisprender wrote:It's never too early to start shopping for Pi Day presents. March 14, 2011 is just around the corner!

So in just a little over four years is going to be quite the Pi Day party huh. 3/14/15

bassanimation

quality posts: 97 Private Messages bassanimation

Congrats, Robert!

sittle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sittle
chennai8 wrote:I respect thatrobert's skills and designs, but someone saying this was the best in the fog is a bit much.

Agreed... Thatrobert's done some amazing designs. Imo, this isn't one of them..... I'm getting really tired of "Pi based" designs, even more so when they are simply type based designs.

Frankly, I'm really unimpressed by 75% of the designs in the fog, not because they aren't well done, they just don't appeal to me.

I'm hoping the EC week will hoist some of the overlooked/undervoted designs up out of the dogpile ...

thatrobert

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thatrobert
Andy47240 wrote:Way to go Robert. I always love your simplistic style. You are kind of like the AC/DC of T-Shirt art!

Ha! For those about to Woot, we salute you!

thatrobert

eugaet wrote:Does it bother anyone else that the 1 is in front of the 3 before it passes through the 4...but behind the 3 on the other side? That's really messing with me...the 1 cutting through the 3 behind the 4.

Intentional. I wasn't trying to make it as if all 3 were made of paper and were somehow intertwined, I was more interested in the balance so that no number took over the design. Since people had the same complaint when this was first subbed, I spent some time trying to see if both aims could be accomplished but it wasn't as pleasing and balanced.

thatrobert

sittle wrote:Agreed... Thatrobert's done some amazing designs. Imo, this isn't one of them..... I'm getting really tired of "Pi based" designs, even more so when they are simply type based designs.

Frankly, I'm really unimpressed by 75% of the designs in the fog, not because they aren't well done, they just don't appeal to me.

I'm hoping the EC week will hoist some of the overlooked/undervoted designs up out of the dogpile ...

I can't help being partial to my own of course, but I basically agree with you. My favorites were on the other end of the vote totals. There were some fantastic subtle and artistic designs that received under 50 votes this time. An EC could make that all better.

momo31415

quality posts: 0 Private Messages momo31415

I love this mnemonic to remember the first 30 digits of pi

Now I, even I, would celebrate
In rhymes inapt, the great
Immortal Syracusan, rivaled nevermore,
Who in his wondrous lore,
Passed on before,
Left men his guidance
How to circles mensurate.

The word length does it.

TeepoOBR

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TeepoOBR

I would consider it...

If only the 3 was vertically symmetric...

Delusionalovely

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Delusionalovely

I voted for this both times, and it's now on it's way to my house.
Yay for awesome shirts waiting for me over Christmas break! :D

I like this design because even if it's a "text-only" shirt, it's visually interesting. It's more something I'd like to wear rather than have as my desktop background or on the wall somewhere.

Plus, you don't have to get some obscure reference or explain the shirt at all.
(unless you're talking to a British Lit. major)
((ooohhhh, burn.))

Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15

The pi song

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

thatrobert

Bouncy! Hurry!

richhdelaney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richhdelaney

notices that Pi is rounded incorrectly.

MSUandUGA

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MSUandUGA

Hooray! I got my pi for the holiday season - Merry Christmas to me!

pirsquare

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pirsquare

SO BOUGHT!

Judging from my username, I HAVE TO HAVE THIS!

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple

Congrats, Robert!

jtbradford

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtbradford

Congrats on the print and soon-to-be sellout. Not saying I think this is a bad design (it's pretty striking for a text-only shirt), but I don't think I'll ever understand why some of these shirts win.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Boing! Boing! Boing!

That's the sound of the shirt being $5 more expensive tomorrow if you don't click I Want One right now! ^__^

sittle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sittle
thatrobert wrote:I can't help being partial to my own of course, but I basically agree with you. My favorites were on the other end of the vote totals. There were some fantastic subtle and artistic designs that received under 50 votes this time. An EC could make that all better.

Naturally...

As a designer, I very rarely pick up a or wear a type based design... I always think of better type options and that bothers me... and I dislike math.

Here's to EC's next week!

darrentf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darrentf

Looks like a sellout, ThatRobert! Thanks for the great design...I have two so my buddy and I can be twin geeks at different offices on Pi Day! Great shirt!

1st Burgandy Olfactory Center 12/1/2010! w00t!!11!!
2nd Burgandy Olfactory Center 12/6/2011! w00t!!11!!

mhardman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mhardman
Assassin15 wrote:e^(i*pi)+1=0: The coolest-looking equation ever!

Just to show that Assassin15 is not talking out of his substr(username,1,3):

evashelley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evashelley

I wish I could buy at least two of these! I slacked!

degrawj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages degrawj

Awesome!! This will be my 3rd pi themed shirt! I wonder if there is a way I can have .1415926 of a shirt to make my collection perfect. And I'm still kind of bummed that I missed out on the woot shirt from last year of a cake in the shape of pi. Nice job thatrobert!! Maybe you'll see me wearing my shirt some time since I live in Beaverton!

BaldBob007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007

Congrats on the sellout!

cwelch91388

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwelch91388

So happy I picked this up last night before I went to sleep.

cwelch91388

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwelch91388
mhardman wrote:Just to show that Assassin15 is not talking out of his substr(username,1,3):

I see what you did thare.

thirdlima

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thirdlima

Oh my...i'm out of this one, came to late!