icrashedtheinternet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages icrashedtheinternet

This shirt is awesome but I won't buy it because I'm offended by the writeup. I loved Tron: Legacy. A lot.

dougmc2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dougmc2
Assassin15 wrote:I'm guessing that dude must be something like Sam's (that's the chap's name in the movie, right?) great-great-grandfather, since penny-farthing bikes were used in the 1880s.

Not that they were only used in the 1880s. A few people do ride them today -- for example ...

http://sys64738.tumblr.com/post/947637012/hipster-overload-penny-farthing-at-the-apple

They're certainly rare, but not unheard of. And they're not all antiques, either -- there's at least one company still making them, and many people make their own.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
pccbassbone wrote:Wow. You know what? I really enjoyed Tron: Legacy. So I don't think I will be supporting this shirt or woot today, as much as this shirt is made of awesome. The diatribe in the writeup was really uncalled for and also, not very funny.

Maybe Tron told the writer his mom was fat back in 8th grade :\. SHUDDUP TRON! I didn't want those naked pictures of your ugly sister anyways!

I should stop eating candy at night...

VrianSinth

quality posts: 6 Private Messages VrianSinth

I loved Tron! I love the shirt! $246 million worldwide ain't half bad for a few weeks.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=tron2.htm

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost

Velocipede!

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost
VrianSinth wrote:I loved Tron! I love the shirt! $246 million worldwide ain't half bad for a few weeks.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=tron2.htm

And he does look a lot like Rich Uncle Pennybags.

OverlordSpork

quality posts: 0 Private Messages OverlordSpork
pccbassbone wrote:Wow. You know what? I really enjoyed Tron: Legacy. So I don't think I will be supporting this shirt or woot today, as much as this shirt is made of awesome. The diatribe in the writeup was really uncalled for and also, not very funny.

Amen.

edgarjauregui

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edgarjauregui

bluejester

quality posts: 558 Private Messages bluejester

Totally second this. I've introduced a number of friends to this site over the past few years because the prices are great and the write ups for both t-shirt and woot product alike are usually pretty funny.

I feel bad for the artist because this is a really funny and cool shirt, but he may miss out on sales because of people being turned off by the write up.

milk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages milk

i would love to buy this... IF IT WAS ON A BLACK SHIRT!!!!!!

damn navy blue straight to hell!

snarkygal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
bluejester wrote:Woot, you disappoint me. I bought this shirt in a second and I do have nostalgic feelings for the movie that no amount of marketing can buy.

Don't go all "Adder" on me in the write up section. We get enough of his nonsense without having to see the words "Tron Sucked" in the write up that some of us like almost as much as the shirts themselves.

What amounts to a mini-diatribe in the write up saddens me to see. You guys are usually way more creative than that.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...I loved the write up. I have no intention of seeing the new Tron, but the old Tron DID suck.

cernenus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cernenus
OverlordSpork wrote:Amen.

Third

bluejester

quality posts: 558 Private Messages bluejester
milk wrote:i would love to buy this... IF IT WAS ON A BLACK SHIRT!!!!!!

damn navy blue straight to hell!

Don't go all "Planet of the Apes" on us. It's still a cool shirt!

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987

I agree with whomever wrote the write-up. Tron: Legacy was pretty godawful. A glorified light show is entertainment nowadays, I suppose.

Regardless, if you like the movie, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. No need to get thin skinned about the write up.

Edit: Huh. I guess the write-up was referring to the original Tron as sucky. My mistake. Tron: Legacy was still bad though.

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
snarkygal wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...I loved the write up.

Amen. And 2nd. And Third.

Tralornik

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Tralornik
bluejester wrote:In honor of this shirt, let me share with you all a term that I started using well before the sequel came out.

It's sort of a sniglet for those of you who remember that term.

"Tronned": When you drive in the center lane of the highway and cars on either side of you attempt to merge in front of you at the same time.

Good one... I like that... mostly because I have seen it happen...lol!

bibojim

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bibojim

I really liked the movie too. I'm old enough to have seen the original when it came out. I think most of the negative reviews I've seen have been from kids that are too young to even know about the original. Loved all the nods to the original in the new movie! Bought a shirt.
end of line

bluejester wrote:Woot, you disappoint me. I bought this shirt in a second and I do have nostalgic feelings for the movie that no amount of marketing can buy.

Don't go all "Adder" on me in the write up section. We get enough of his nonsense without having to see the words "Tron Sucked" in the write up that some of us like almost as much as the shirts themselves.

What amounts to a mini-diatribe in the write up saddens me to see. You guys are usually way more creative than that.

Ryfiel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ryfiel
snarkygal wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...I loved the write up. I have no intention of seeing the new Tron, but the old Tron DID suck.

See, that's the thing. If you didn't like the first one, then not liking the new one is perfectly valid.

My problem is that there are plenty of people who liked the first one but didn't like the new one. The thing is I watched the first one (for the first time AFAIK) the day before I went to the theater and saw the new one. They did an excellent job tying the two together, and made a good sequel.

cernenus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cernenus
snarkygal wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...I loved the write up. I have no intention of seeing the new Tron, but the old Tron DID suck.

plot wise, yeah the old tron was lacking,

OTOH effects wise it was groundbreaking, I think it was the first movie to do sets the way it did with back-lit animation (and the sound work was pretty astounding also). All the stuff 'inside' the computer (most of the movie) was done on a green-screen (ok well it wasn't 'green' because they used B&W, but the process is basically the same) and the backgrounds animated in.

I'm not sure but I think the 'bit' character may have been some of the first CGI ever in a movie. (most of the rest was hand animated)

I think it's telling that several years later it got an academy award for technical achievement. That award had to come later because it was not nominated for effects when released because several folks at the academy thought the use of computers to generate many of the effects was "cheating".. (HAR!)

joeahoman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeahoman

Awesome write-up. Loved the effects of the movie, but it's true that it has such a weak plot, as it did in the original. You know no bounds, woot. And that's what makes you awesome.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic

And to think, there was a time were you weren't going to sub this Same story as my "Tag Alone." Maybe we should start showing more awesome designs in the pre-thread then say we aren't going to enter them more often

Anyhoo, congrats on another print!!!

graygorey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages graygorey
wooton wrote:that's not really the proper seat position for a penny farthing

The seat position won't matter considering the pedal position. The speed of this bike's dependent on the top speed attainable by the back wheel (the "farthing"). In a light cycle bout, this guy's stuck in first gear.

Hibame

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hibame

I was hoping this would win. In for one!

yokazenoneko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yokazenoneko
graygorey wrote:The seat position won't matter considering the pedal position. The speed of this bike's dependent on the top speed attainable by the back wheel (the "farthing"). In a light cycle bout, this guy's stuck in first gear.

Lmao XD It seem he is indeed stuck in first gear XD haha

And I liked the original movie o.o I mean, haven't watched it in quite sometime cause we can't find the dvd we have, but still. And the new one is quite good as well. However, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Some are certainly more forceful than others, but ah well..that's life for you. If you want the shirt then get it, even if you don't agree with the write up who cares. You are getting the shirt, not buying their words. Usually I like the write up, in this case..it really wasn't that witty in my opinion, but I still like the shirt. It's quite cleaver and I shall still buy one regardless.

fraxcat

quality posts: 8 Private Messages fraxcat

OHHHH MY GOOOOOOOD!!! SINGLE LIGHT-TRIKE ALLLLL THE WAAAAAAY!!!!

I just found a use for my 10$ off coupon from Deals.Woot. Good god man. I'm so Tron engaged right now. We went and saw Tron opening night in our area. My wife bought me the Tron: Legacy artbook and the 6 die-cast mini toys for christmas...and now *this*. I may actually only wear this shirt once, and then hermetically seal it in glass plates using the vaccum sealer from yesterday, and then frame it and place it on the wall.

Bloody AWESOME. And this is why I don't pay attention to derbies *at all*...surprises are fantastic.

runnernick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages runnernick

Hipster as warp. I like it.

trixydan

quality posts: 8 Private Messages trixydan

"TRON sucked.

There, we said it. And you know what? It felt good. That movie was terrible; the acting was stilted, the dialogue was ridiculous, and they expected you to swallow the whole premise on little more than a fancy light show."

boo woot writter. No, you su ck. I do not have fond memories of liking tron, I actually LIKE tron. Pfft. That's like saying that WarGames, or Cloak and Dagger su cked. Of course it was bad! It was the early eighties, everything was bad!!!

EdgeOne

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EdgeOne

Woot! do you remember what you used to be? A fun place to come buy stuff with witty commentary. This shirt made me laugh, the description, however, did not. No shirt sale for you. Hint: next time tell us over the top how much you liked Tron and thought it was awesome so we can all chuckle knowing you really think it stinks. I probably could have written a better script for Tron: Legacy, but I certainly could have written a better description for this T.

salogel42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages salogel42
BensonM wrote:Ah, TRON Ancestry (formerly known as tr0n), the prequel where Charles Babbage gets sucked into his analytical engine and fights Ada Lovelace's evil program.

Actually, now I want to watch it....

I have to reply to this just to say that my cats are named Ada and Babbage and this makes me smile

pbailey1980

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pbailey1980

Yay bandwagon appeal! ... =( Yeah, I didn't really have the money to increase the profits of Woot anyway... Buying a derby winner these days is like buying a CD from an American Idol winner...

pbailey1980

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pbailey1980

Wait, where's my PI shirt so I can brag about how big a nerd I am because nerds are in.

signe

quality posts: 2 Private Messages signe

Wow. The rant in the description is just over the top. Way to be boghogs.

Makes me respect woot a lot less just based on that behavior.

eggwolio

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eggwolio

The writeup on this shirt was hilarious, whether you like the movie or not. The people refusing a purchase are the same ones(or similar to) the people who refuse to buy on randoms day because they're the dreaded price of $6.66.

I'm no huge Tron fan, though I do recall liking it and would like to see the new one, but I think this is a really well-executed(no pun intended) pop culture based shirt, which seem harder and harder to come by on the various tee sites these days. That's the beauty of a pop culture tee, though. They don't have to be well done artistically to sell. They sell because people who love certain aspects of pop culture love those things so much that they overlook the little things.

The write-up is over-the-top and in-your-face. That sentence was overly-hyphenated. But who cares? Snarky write-ups aren't uncommon here. The writer doesn't like the movie. So what? He's entitled to that opinion. If you like the film(s), and you like the artwork, buy the darned shirt. And if you *really* wanna stick it to them, buy it today instead of tomorrow, so they only get ten dollars from you instead of fifteen. You can use the five you save to catch the new Tron again in a matinee showing or at the second run theater!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

whoa, woot. harsh. some people like TRON, y'all.

not me, particularly, but some people. People who buy woot shirts.

BensonM

quality posts: 18 Private Messages BensonM
everyone wrote:Wahhh! Woot hated on my TRON!!!

Chill, guys; woot makes fun of everything. I think you're taking the "rant" far more seriously than it was intended.

And yeah, I rather like Tron, too. (I don't like Tron Legacy/TR2N near as much, but then it seems sequels always suck.) I just don't think woot's writeup here is the serious criticism you're taking it as.

wooters.us FTW!

Big Ogre Cudgels!
2009 Nov 19
2009 May 15

megabee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megabee

I enjoy the writeups much more when the writer at least tries to be funny.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Tron fans unite! Wow. Thanks for the votes and support on this Victorian fuelled design. (My great-great grandfather was the official hot air ballonist for Queen Victoria, so I'm allowed to do this kinda thing.)

I suspect the write-up is reverse psychology. And even if it's really, really not, I hope you feel better for that, Mr Writer. -_^

@chumpmagic, yes! Maybe we've accidentally hit on something there. :^)

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
BensonM wrote:Chill, guys; woot makes fun of everything. I think you're taking the "rant" far more seriously than it was intended.

And yeah, I rather like Tron, too. (I don't like Tron Legacy/TR2N near as much, but then it seems sequels always suck.) I just don't think woot's writeup here is the serious criticism you're taking it as.

maybe it isn't. but I'm not seeing the kind of hints they usually include. If it's sarcasm, it's harsh sarcasm, indeed.

It'd be easy to fix the issue they've chosen to criticize the artists for, just include a line on future derbies "No Pop culture references".

please please please please do that, woot.

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan

Yay! Congrats! Nice print

chrisprender

quality posts: 312 Private Messages chrisprender

I love when the future and past combine in a cool way, like that movie. Y'know, "The Jetsons Meet The Flintstones".