superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

snarkygal wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...I loved the write up. I have no intention of seeing the new Tron, but the old Tron DID suck.

I have to say, I second this. :o)

And I saw the old Tron recently so I definitely remember. Effects cannot make a movie good if there isn't a plot.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Ryfiel wrote:See, that's the thing. If you didn't like the first one, then not liking the new one is perfectly valid.

My problem is that there are plenty of people who liked the first one but didn't like the new one. The thing is I watched the first one (for the first time AFAIK) the day before I went to the theater and saw the new one. They did an excellent job tying the two together, and made a good sequel.

Pretty sure they meant the original was bad.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17
pccbassbone wrote:Wow. You know what? I really enjoyed Tron: Legacy. So I don't think I will be supporting this shirt or woot today, as much as this shirt is made of awesome. The diatribe in the writeup was really uncalled for and also, not very funny.

Hmmm,I never waste my time on the writeups.Guess I'll have to go back and read this one.Not that it makes any difference,wouldn't wear this shirt if you paid me.

[Edit]
Now that I've read it I love it(not the shirt).Agree 100%.The first one is nothing more than a flimsy excuse to use the effects,something that has become much more common over the years(hello Mr.Cameron). But then I hated "Short Circuit"too.
But I'll be renting it on DVD when it comes out.

jazman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jazman

Opinions, opinions... lol.

I liked it and if I suck too then fantastic!

Hey no Roombas on Woot today? >; )~

In IMAX this film was great 3D not nearly as much. Honestly, I like the fusion of Monopoly and Tron. Visually cool, reasonably action packed and just plain fun... What would you say to your father over dinner 20 something years later after just disappearing?

Say what you want: at least it didn't come with Jar Jark Binks after a 20 year wait!

slughead42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slughead42

From the "Mumbo Jumbo" section at the bottom of the page...

Product narratives are for entertainment purposes and frequently employ literary point of view; the narratives do not express Woot's editorial opinion.

This does not stop being true just because they're writing about something you like...do you really think Woot hates Firefly so much that they STILL make jokes about it being cancelled, or do you think that they are just in pursuit of the lulz?

geedeck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geedeck

I usually I enjoy the woot copy text, but this is just mean and spiteful. It succcccccccks.

archerman2000

quality posts: 8 Private Messages archerman2000
dave17 wrote:Hmmm,I never waste my time on the writeups...

Agreed, at one point I did cause they are usually pretty good... but I'd rather spend my time looking at the product and browsing the forums for a quick minute. Woot is great but not if I have to spend more then 5 minutes here.

Shirt I thought is good (not my style though), write up was an opinion which doesn't seem supported by the community after all this shirt clearly loves Tron and the shirt woot community loves this shirt (most votes}.. Final verdict write-up was in poor taste for the community that is showing Tron love and wasn't creative or funny in anyway. BTW I didn't see the movie and don't care to... five minutes is up - I'm out.

notsomuch

quality posts: 7 Private Messages notsomuch
Spiritgreen wrote:Tron fans unite! Wow. Thanks for the votes and support on this Victorian fuelled design. (My great-great grandfather was the official hot air ballonist for Queen Victoria, so I'm allowed to do this kinda thing.)

And if he was the guy sitting in the basket, he was pretty hot, too.

I did see Tron but I was quite young and remember being bored most of the way through it, because I really didn't get the whole premise of the movie, therefore really don't get the shirt.

That being said, I think the write up was funny and cynical, and were I a Tron fan, I would buy the shirt anyway. I am disappointed that I'm not, because in my circle, I fancy myself the nerd.

Once you go Mac, you never go back.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

I bought 2.

That said, Tron did suckdiddlyuck.
It was groundbreaking and got me into computers, but as a story it was poo. I still love it, though. (I liked Tron before it was popular, bow before my alpha geekster status)

Feed your nostalgia, support your artist.

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

sheepdemon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sheepdemon

I liked Legacy

Mischief101

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Mischief101

AWWWWW Woot your're better than this. Just becsaue you may not like something doesn't mean all the people who like you and buy from you don't like it.

The write up was a sad thing now I wish I hadn't read it.

Hopeing whoever wrote this gets his/her next turn taken away.

Do better Woot.

PS: I'm 30 and loved the old one and the new Tron.

PAPOY!

BootsBoots

quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots

Psst! Hey... Woot Writer! I'm printing out your write-up and hanging it on my wall. It's going to be my new manifesto. I've never seen Tron or anything, so I don't know if it actually sucked or not, but if I just substitute "Tron" with other things I don't understand like "Led Zeppelin" or the book "The Road" or just "cats," I completely relate. Never mind all these people that hated it, you totally won my heart today. And in the future you're free to make fun of dumb things I like. Like Wilford Brimley. He and his Quaker Oat induced Diabetes are awesome, but if you ever need to take him down a peg, I'll understand.

urbsnspices

quality posts: 7 Private Messages urbsnspices

"Now that is a Big Door..."

Tron sucked so awesomely. I mean Flynn became the dude. I mean, thats just like your opinion, man.

Im torn on the shirt, love it, but not sure if I want to give any credence to the steampunk crowd.

logicbocks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages logicbocks

what is it going to take to get some shirts printed on black.

Misskari

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Misskari
milk wrote:i would love to buy this... IF IT WAS ON A BLACK SHIRT!!!!!!

damn navy blue straight to hell!

When folding laundry, I usually can't tell between black and navy shirts. They're that close.

Also, congrats, SG!

bjave

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bjave

I think the people that didn't like Tron or Tron Legacy can go get de-rezed, it was a great movie and I recommend seeing it on the big screen. Not really in love with the shirt though, I thought it was the Lucky Charm guy at first and then realized that I've been over-Tron'd too once figuring it out.

arrrrgh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages arrrrgh

Wasn't there a rule stating "No video games"?

I never saw the TRON movie, but I know for sure that I played the video game. (Yes, I'm that old!)

nungesser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nungesser

TRON (as in, the sequel) was terrific fun. A truly great movie made for the fans. Sorry, Woot, you're wrong.

paternoster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paternoster

Jeez guys. Not exactly a writeup that helps sell this person's design.

In any case I enjoyed the movie for what it was: a special effects onslaught that left be virtually breathless.

loaba

quality posts: 31 Private Messages loaba

This shirt is very SteamTron. And I mean that in a bad way.

shizknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shizknight

I wish you could get these shirts printed on less crappy shirt blanks. Despite it being American and all, I hate American Apparel. Woot should offer alternatives for another fiver or something. Like in addition to the overnight shipping you can also drop another five to get it on a hanes beefy t or something.

paternoster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paternoster
nungesser wrote:TRON (as in, the sequel) was terrific fun. A truly great movie made for the fans. Sorry, Woot, you're wrong.

I'm with you on this.

Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster

I am pro-tron and tron legacy AND I like the shirt AND I like the write up. is anyone else in this boat? (admittedly, I'm also very biased)

I saw the first tron as a kid and brought my boys to the second. a little commercialized nostalgia is not going to kill you, and yet I like people who have enough idealism to be pissed. they generally make art better for me.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
BootsBoots wrote:Psst! Hey... Woot Writer! I'm printing out your write-up and hanging it on my wall. It's going to be my new manifesto. I've never seen Tron or anything, so I don't know if it actually sucked or not, but if I just substitute "Tron" with other things I don't understand like "Led Zeppelin" or the book "The Road" or just "cats," I completely relate. Never mind all these people that hated it, you totally won my heart today. And in the future you're free to make fun of dumb things I like. Like Wilford Brimley. He and his Quaker Oat induced Diabetes are awesome, but if you ever need to take him down a peg, I'll understand.

Hear hear!

I've always been ok with people slamming stuff I like. Cause I like dumb crap...really dumb crap. :D

BEETUS! (W. Brimley was awesome in The Thing, by the way)

2dskillz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2dskillz

I do have to agree that the write up for this is disappointing. Having a negative opinion of the movie is fine. I think when the write up goes as far as insulting the people that like the movie (the people that are interested in the product you are trying to sell), that is where people take notice.

"This shirt tells the world: “I have a fond memory for anything marketers tell me to.”"

Yeah, I do not think people enjoy being called sheep.

DJ9975

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJ9975

Whether people like the current movie/fad or not, this shirt is excellent. Very clever and well done. Congrats!!
Currently on shirt.woot ban (do you hear that crack of the whip?), so I hope this sticks around long enough that I can get it without conversations about wasted money and silly looking shirts :-)

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5

The only thing good about today's shirt is the spot on write-up.

nungesser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nungesser
paternoster wrote:Jeez guys. Not exactly a writeup that helps sell this person's design.

Is it typical for Woot to fart all over the subject of someone's design to promote it? I mean, there's the usual Playful Woot Snark™, but then there's being genuinely jerkish. Especially since the folks buying this shirt are likely to be TRON fans... who you just pissed off with your "sales copy". Not funny. Not smart.

urbsnspices

quality posts: 7 Private Messages urbsnspices
Snapster wrote:I am pro-tron and tron legacy AND I like the shirt AND I like the write up. is anyone else in this boat? (admittedly, I'm also very biased)

Im with you. Entirely. Tron is whell done whackey sci-fi at its finest. It isnt supposed to be Epic sci-fi. I think marketing people only know how to present sci-fi when it is supposed to be "epic". I mean where are the trailers showing the silliness of Flynn 'the dude' Bridges. A great cult classic evening of movies would be Tron, The Biglebowski, then Tron2. I have to credit dysney, they made they millions yet still held true to the silliness of the original cult classic. (which I believe was somewhat of a flop)

As for the woot review. Woot put on their mustache wax and monical and tried to seriously convince me that just because a movie sucks means it is bad. Quite so and very very passable...

rue842

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rue842

really? people are going to refuse to buy a shirt they like because the write-up made fun of a movie they like?

that's just ridiculous.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
rue842 wrote:really? people are going to refuse to buy a shirt they like because the write-up made fun of a movie they like?

that's just ridiculous.

well, this part may have been a bit mean spirited:

This shirt tells the world: “I have a fond memory for anything marketers tell me to.”

Because of course the original became a cult classic due to sneaky marketing propaganda. We are such sheep to the wolves of Madison Ave..... :D

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

snesk0008

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snesk0008

To woot:
You know how girls always say I laughed so hard I peed? I went out and got a sex change just so I could say that to the write up.
That movie sucked, we all knew it would suck, we saw it anyway, and it sucked.
But hey when have rehashed movies ever been good. I mean they've made what like 12 hulk movies now and they still all suck.
Got to admit Olivia Wilde is pretty hot.
I've got you bookmarked just to read the write ups (sometimes I buy a shirt).

P.S. I don't know how one becomes a writer for woot, but I'd love to do it.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 619 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

If you can locate the original TRON on DVD along with the bonus DVD, watch the part about how they made it. It will be give you a whole new level of respect for the original TRON when you see what they did back then to achieve that look.

This might be the beginning of it. I hope that's the one that goes through how they went from filmed live-action to an animation (painted cells) film.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

bassanimation

All problems with Legacy aside:

...when the kid turned on the music in Flynn's arcade, and it blasted Journey's "Separate Ways", I totally wanted to freakin scream and air guitar.

The rest was icing. (80's style headbang)

bassanimation

ThunderThighs wrote:If you can locate the original TRON on DVD along with the bonus DVD, watch the part about how they made it. It will be give you a whole new level of respect for the original TRON when you see what they did back then to achieve that look.

This might be the beginning of it. I hope that's the one that goes through how they went from filmed live-action to an animation (painted cells) film.

Something else interesting to note about the original: It was excluded from being nominated for an Academy Award for special effects because, back then, they thought using computers to create effects was 'cheating'.

Oh how far we've come.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

I definitely got my money's worth with the new Tron movie if based solely on the fact that it was a great experience seeing (and hearing) it at the IMAX with my son. Could it have been a better story? Sure. But as the write-up so delicately put, the original story wasn't THAT great to begin with. Tron's all about the experience.

thumperchick

quality posts: 253 Private Messages thumperchick

The write-up was hysterically funny. W00t! Feel free to mock a few of my favorite things if they make it to T-Shirtdom

*Twilight - yes I'm an adult, yes Edward is a Vogonity, yes I still enjoy the series.
*Super Mario Bros/TMNT
*Cruel Dark Humor
*The Count of Monte Cristo
*My love of overly cutesy, redone, RamyB shirts - yes I am one of "those people"
*Harry Potter

PS - To everyone mad about the write-up, you have been to W00t.com before, yes?

Morimoto

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Morimoto

woot! actually did an intelligent Tron writeup right after the new movie was released. So both parties can be happy to know that woot! hates and loves Tron. Enjoy:

Her First Day

“Oh, Alexandria, you’re SUCH a card! Ah, well, guess we should get back to work before the new CEO fires us too. What a morning, right? Some shakeup!”

Hello. Alexandria said I should speak with you.

“Hi, sit down, great to meet you! I’m Jack, the head of HR, and I’m glad you’ve chosen to apply at our company! Now, I’m not sure how to pronounce your name so I’m just going to call you Q. That okay, Q?”

Today I saw the sunrise. It was so beautiful.

“Early riser, huh? That’s a plus for us, I guess. But you’ll be setting your own hours here, we try to cater to the creative and the unusual here. Hey, if you get cold during the meeting, I’ve got a pair of Sleeved Blankets right here, so just feel free to put one on whenever, all right? Sometimes they crank the AC sooo high, I think it’s gonna snow.”

I have never seen snow. But I read about it! Field of Ice by Jules Verne? Not his best, but such imagery!

“Oh, I know, I know. I grew up in L.A. so I was exactly the same my first real winter. Darling, pray they never send you to the Minneapolis office, you’ll be begging them to let you have this two pack of Sleeved Blankets the entire year! Ha ha ha ha! But we have to get technical now, okay? I mean, it seems like you and I could probably just talk all day. Too bad we’re just slaves to the system!”

But… are you not a user like Sam?

“Hmm. Well, I know he’s got a bit of a reputation as a maverick, but he’s always been very straightforward with me. But personal feelings aside, let me make it clear: if you ever feel anyone has treated you inappropriately in any way, you can come right to me. Company policy forbids any sort of harassment, even from the top executives and shareholders, okay? Once you work for us, you’re not just some two pack of snuggly polyester fleece Sleeved Blankets that can be passed around or shared with a friend. You’re a real team player! If someone’s a ‘user’ or makes you feel uncomfortable, we want to know right away. At this company, we don’t have time for games.”

Yes, the Games were harsh and barbaric. Too many were destroyed pointlessly.

“Sounds like you went to my high school. It was full of these awful girls who thought they owned the place and- oh, but here we go again! We’re just so awful, aren’t we? We’ve got to do drinks after work sometimes, really. Now, let’s talk about your resume, we seem to have misplaced it somehow. So did you bring a copy with you today?”

I… I gave my identity disc away when we were… back… um, where I came from.

“Oh, you left it at home? Well, no big deal, with your in-house references I’m sure we’re covered there. So let’s just talk out the high points. Tell me about your last job. What did you do?”

I… worked with… troubleshooting… issues with… user issues. Involving CLU.

“Oh, you’ve dealt with CLU? Well, that’s outstanding! It’s a vital part of our day-to-day operations here, really ever since the late 80s. We kinda just added code over code, you know how it goes, and it’s so hard to find competent designers nowadays! I hear it’s down this morning for some reason, so they’ll probably get you started right away. Hey, for that matter, how are you with our security protocols? I only work in HR, obviously, but I think they call it ‘Random Netwall Zero Lag Response’ or something crazy like that. I’m not a programmer so maybe I’m-”

RNZLR! Yes, I made it past him during my attack on CLU. He was quite formidable.

“Well, well, well! No wonder Mr. Bradley wants to hire you! Look, I know that hacking stuff is a gray area in your field so I won’t ask any more so you don’t get in any trouble. All that matters to me is that you know the programs and Mr. Bradley wants you working here. And I know you want to get started on that so- Alexandra? Can you show Miss Q here to her cubicle? She’s going to be our newest programmer, specializing in security, and we want to get her started right away! Okay, Q, just follow Alex and- Hey, welcome aboard! I’ll send your packet over around lunchtime and we’ll get you a badge and- oh! Is there anything else you need to know from me?”

Yes. Where do I find the light cycles?

“Ha ha ha ha! Oh, we’ll have to watch you! Of course, keep in mind that there’s a strict no-gaming policy during work hours, and all your machines prevent you from installing software. But we do have an old Space Paranoids machine in the break room if you want to play on your lunch hour. It’s set to free play. Just one of the little perks you get from being an employee!

arcade-art

quality posts: 1 Private Messages arcade-art
tgentry wrote:I definitely got my money's worth with the new Tron movie if based solely on the fact that it was a great experience seeing (and hearing) it at the IMAX with my son. Could it have been a better story? Sure. But as the write-up so delicately put, the original story wasn't THAT great to begin with. Tron's all about the experience.

that's a nice balanced view

............ Video Game Art and Custom Sprites ............

unclemike1@yahoo.com

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unclemike1@yahoo.com

For "navy" shirt, it looks awfully black.

No, I am not racist.