Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster
unclemike1@yahoo.com wrote:For "navy" shirt, it looks awfully black.

No, I am not racist.

potentially your monitor is.

actually, most monitors have less contrast than they need to show the difference well - higher end led backlit may do better. I think we had to go this direction to correctly show contrast (or lack there-of) if navy is used in the design itself. I believe this is a case where looks right for most people is less correct absolute.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
tgentry wrote:I definitely got my money's worth with the new Tron movie if based solely on the fact that it was a great experience seeing (and hearing) it at the IMAX with my son. Could it have been a better story? Sure. But as the write-up so delicately put, the original story wasn't THAT great to begin with. Tron's all about the experience.

I'm hoping they'll release some extended scenes or something with the DVD. I felt like perhaps they cut things or edited oddly in a couple spots. I really wanted to know more about the computer world and stuff, not watch them eat a digital pig. :\

By the way, they should have explained the pig.

"You see, this pig is a digital representation of the RAM we're consuming."

"Really? Wow. We're memory 'hogs' aren't we? Haw haw haw!"

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

bassanimation wrote:"You see, this pig is a digital representation of the RAM we're consuming."

"Really? Wow. We're memory 'hogs' aren't we? Haw haw haw!"

you just blew my mind

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

"Don’t blame Spiritgreen. Sometimes you agree to a big-time studio project you know will bomb just to pay the bills and finance your next indie smash."

...And sometimes you agree to be acquired by the Web's largest ecommerce monster just to pay the bills and....ooo! dessert!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Snapster wrote:I am pro-tron and tron legacy AND I like the shirt AND I like the write up. is anyone else in this boat? (admittedly, I'm also very biased)

I saw the first tron as a kid and brought my boys to the second. a little commercialized nostalgia is not going to kill you, and yet I like people who have enough idealism to be pissed. they generally make art better for me.

What you're not considering is that the writeup might as well be dissing the sheep who buy the shirt. this probably hurts sales, no? While woot probably won't even notice that, I bet Spiritgreen will. and that sucks.

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost
BensonM wrote:Chill, guys; woot makes fun of everything. I think you're taking the "rant" far more seriously than it was intended.

And yeah, I rather like Tron, too. (I don't like Tron Legacy/TR2N near as much, but then it seems sequels always suck.) I just don't think woot's writeup here is the serious criticism you're taking it as.

Wasn't there a rocker who said he knew he had arrived when Weird Al made fun of one of his tunes?

I agree - lighten up - it's all in fun!

Does anybody remember fun?

bradtab

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bradtab

Ahhh, so Sherlock Holmes was ahead of his time.

sexylittlerobot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages sexylittlerobot

I read the write up and initially interpreted it as a vituperative diatribe but I think the woot writers are more clever than that. I imagine it's a product of 1) the overwhelming amount of reviews that ridiculed the story of Tron Legacy (so this is sort of a satire of those) and 2) the fact that the woot staff often seems annoyed when pop culture references or @w@ shiny desu shirts win over the more creative entries. Of course, they've rectified that problem before by implementing a no pop culture restriction *hint hint*.

I was born two years after the first Tron was released but my cousin had a VHS that he'd let me borrow all the time. I was positively dazzled by the effects and after my fifth birthday (when my parents gave me an NES) I began to appreciate the story too. Needless to say, I highly anticipated Tron Legacy when the teaser was released and Tron appeared in KH2.

I was not disappointed by Tron Legacy. Most reboots/sequels/etc. seem to exist only as some kind of hedonic treadmill machine of marketing. Much like the original, this one was made for geeks but also fascinating enough for the less digitally inclined. Sure there were banal plot points but any movie that utilizes the classic Hero Quest archetype is going to have them. From the nerdy jokes/visual puns (End of Line, gratuitous references to other sci fi realms, original Mario Brothers cab in the arcade etc.) to the thoughtful soundtrack (it isn't Homework, but it sure is invigorating especially if you see it in IMAX 3D) it's a film that almost reaches synaesthetic levels of immersion.

I would like to delineate two ideas from the film that I found intriguing: 'digital' DNA and Qui Gon Flynn. My expertise is limited to plant genetics and a bit of bacterial genomes but when I saw Quorra's DNA it did kind of make me recall the DX form used to assemble DNA nanotubes. If manipulated properly, DNA nanotechnology could provide possibilities such as drug delivery or pathogen attack mechanisms. I'm not as well versed in physics/computer engineering but apparently there is a discipline out there called DNA computing that can involve algorithmic self assembly or utilizing DNAzymes that can make logic gates (apparently no DNA computer could approach the potential of quantum computing, but eh). In other words, I think Quorra is a really exciting character/idea in context of modern science - certainly more than I'd expect out of most films. Forgive me if anything I said there is erroneous - I mostly spend time hijacking crop plants' genes.

I liked Qui Gonn Flynn and his esoteric reflection upon telling a program to turn the Grid into the perfect system. He realizes his command was erroneous since no person is perfect and now he regrets his hubris. His new, enlightened persona is now able to give his son guidance and wisdom (even when Sam 'messes with his Zen thing, man'). Everyone has his or her idea of perfection but it will always contain some kind of fallibility because we're only human after all (<3 Daft Punk).

Anyway, it's not District 9 but it's a film that delivers on multiple levels. You may not leave completely edified or anything but it's certainly not the waste of celluloid that many seem to claim it is.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Spiritgreen wrote:Tron fans unite! Wow. Thanks for the votes and support on this Victorian fuelled design. (My great-great grandfather was the official hot air ballonist for Queen Victoria, so I'm allowed to do this kinda thing.)

I suspect the write-up is reverse psychology. And even if it's really, really not, I hope you feel better for that, Mr Writer. -_^

@chumpmagic, yes! Maybe we've accidentally hit on something there. :^)

I'm glad you ended up submitting this. Was a really awesome take.

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988

I haven't seen the latest Tron movie yet, but I love the original. Congrats on a great design Spiritgreen!

khood3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages khood3
pccbassbone wrote:Wow. You know what? I really enjoyed Tron: Legacy. So I don't think I will be supporting this shirt or woot today, as much as this shirt is made of awesome. The diatribe in the writeup was really uncalled for and also, not very funny.

Seriously, that write up really is quite harsh & completely aimed at the wrong audience seeing as how the majority of their clientele obviously appreciated the movie... & thus voted voted for this shirt. Seems like someone's still a little bitter about not getting a call-back to be an extra, eh?

DanAmrich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DanAmrich

I'm really surprised at the bitterness of the writeup. It's a clever shirt, and I can understand that people feel Tron is overhyped and overcelebrated, but...man, check your cornflakes for urine.

http://bunnyears.net

oddlyjen

quality posts: 25 Private Messages oddlyjen

My husband really, really likes Tron. He /loves/ the old movie, and the new one and all the commercialization? That's what he got for christmas. Things labeled Tron, the coolest (IMO) of which was a thirty dollar book I found on Amazon with a lot of the source art from the new movie and even some from the original. (Yes, we watched the new one in 3D on opening night. Yes, I liked it.)

You should have heard him this morning when he saw this shirt and went looking for his two shirt.woot coupons he's been holding onto. Maybe if I videotaped him more often (instead of those kids, the cuteness just isn't getting me anywhere) and stuck it on YouTube, I could be making money from the ads and we would be able to buy more woot stuff.

There's always hoping, right?

arcade-art

quality posts: 1 Private Messages arcade-art

bouncing button alert :D

............ Video Game Art and Custom Sprites ............

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
arcade-art wrote:bouncing button alert :D

Wooo, it's about to eat the digital pig!

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple

I'm fairly certain I can say 'I told you so' here, Spirit.

I told you so!

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

"Sold Out"

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Andy47240 wrote:"Sold Out"

wellnow
Congrats Spirit.

move along

RandomLynx

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RandomLynx

Wow, that is one intensely bitter person right there. And here I thought the little write-ups were meant to help SELL the shirt, not be soap boxes on which to rant about a movie that has been out for weeks - that's what your personal blog is for in case you forgot. Please next time remember that because it's so much easier to ignore those, crazy me would have actually liked to hear something witty in reference to the actual product this site was selling.

enianen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enianen

that shirt is awesome. but the write up on it just reminds me of my conservative cousin going on a drunken rant about politics.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Huzzah! Enjoy your shirts everyone, thank you for the sell out!

If you're still after one it'll be back on the site from midnight tonight on the reckoning page. ^__^

paternoster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paternoster
Spiritgreen wrote:Huzzah! Enjoy your shirts everyone, thank you for the sell out!

If you're still after one it'll be back on the site from midnight tonight on the reckoning page. ^__^

I picked one up, and I can't wait for it to show up. Great design, Spiritgreen.

Supersox

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Supersox

DANG IT!!!

I REALLY wanted this one!!!

...not that I don't enjoy the other fine shirts on shirt.woot.com...

end_of_line

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost

HEY WOOT!

How can you write a description that's so critical of the movie, when you know you're shooting yourselves in the foot by hurting sales of this shirt, which surely

Oh, it sold out.

Never mind.

Hee hee.

Accalon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Accalon

People can have their opinions about the movie, but if you feel the need to vomit all over something in a pissy self-centered immature way, get yourself a live journal. You'd fit right in.

This bit of degradation in quality and class is a trend I've noticed in shirt.woot over the last couple years. The designs are becoming bland and increasingly hipster, blurring into a smear of the same fingerpainted designs. The wit is gone and instead replaced with cliches and poor puns. This infantile rambling was the last straw to break my camel of customer loyalty's back.

I won't be shopping shirt.woot any longer.

diphallus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diphallus
Accalon wrote:People can have their opinions about the movie, but if you feel the need to vomit all over something in a pissy self-centered immature way, get yourself a live journal. You'd fit right in.

This bit of degradation in quality and class is a trend I've noticed in shirt.woot over the last couple years. The designs are becoming bland and increasingly hipster, blurring into a smear of the same fingerpainted designs. The wit is gone and instead replaced with cliches and poor puns. This infantile rambling was the last straw to break my camel of customer loyalty's back.

I won't be shopping shirt.woot any longer.

Wow it's funny reading all these comments. Woot has always had it's own personality, and sometimes they express their own opinions in these write-ups. Everyone gonna cry over them like a bunch of 12 year olds?

And Tron: Legacy was horrible. I can't even imagine how anyone could try to defend it. The plot was horrible, the acting was horrible, the dialog was horrible. It had a decent foundation with characters and storyline potential but the writers did nothing with them.

tl;dr: I'm glad I saw it for free. It's not even worth a rental.

allynyork

quality posts: 0 Private Messages allynyork

want! unfortunately i'm getting a message that says "sold out".
i guess i'll just have to try back tomorrow

dlrium

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlrium

sold out?!?!?

POUTS!!!!!

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

Personally, the write up would have no influence on whether or not I purchase a shirt. If I like it, I buy it. If I don't like it, I don't buy it. Very deep philosophizing, I know. :D

Anyway, awesome design, Spiritgreen, and BIG congrats on winning first place!! woohoo!! You're on fire! Go on with your bad self!

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

OK, I'm here!

what'd I miss?

eco2geek

quality posts: 51 Private Messages eco2geek

Wow, people are seriously angry about a shirt.woot writeup dissing the Tron franchise? That's hilarious. Guess we all have something that pushes our buttons.

By the way, Ebert said of Tron: Legacy that it wouldn't particularly hurt your understanding of the plot if you went and got stoned before you watched it. Take that!

We have met the enemy and he is us. -- Pogo

Livinonedge

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Livinonedge
eco2geek wrote:Wow, people are seriously angry about a shirt.woot writeup dissing the Tron franchise? That's hilarious. Guess we all have something that pushes our buttons.

By the way, Ebert said of Tron: Legacy that it wouldn't particularly hurt your understanding of the plot if you went and got stoned before you watched it. Take that!

Kudos!

8 Screaming Monkey
2 Bags of Crap
2 Woot-off lights
7 Woot Shirt

wilbrijo06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wilbrijo06
pbailey1980 wrote: Buying a derby winner these days is like buying a CD from an American Idol winner...

ouch...

why can't I come up with such great similes?

itsalan19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages itsalan19

Cant wait to get it.
How long does it take in the mail if I ordered it last night?

lovepuff

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lovepuff

Wow, this actually took the #1 spot in the reckoning! Impressive.

SpANG

quality posts: 6 Private Messages SpANG

I love the concept and hate the design. It's poorly executed.

Everyone knows that penny-farthing bike pedals and seats are over the BIG WHEEL, not on the little one.

In an effort to make it look "more aerodynamic", the artist lost the entire spirit of ridiculousness that is the PF bike to begin with. It could have been much funnier.

BTW, If you though the original TRON was just a bunch of lights and effects, you never really saw or got it. For it's time the story was rich and heavily symbolic. For a Disney movie, it was uncharted territory. The only reason it didn't do better in the box office at the time was because of Paramounts release of a st00pid alien with a light up finger that everyone became obsessed with. ;)

"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable; only unexplained."

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
SpANG wrote:I love the concept and hate the design. It's poorly executed.

Everyone knows that penny-farthing bike pedals and seats are over the BIG WHEEL, not on the little one.

In an effort to make it look "more aerodynamic", the artist lost the entire spirit of ridiculousness that is the PF bike to begin with. It could have been much funnier.

Artistic license for the sake of design beats historical accuracy.

I like it better than this one:

or this one:

or this one:

move along

flickdude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flickdude

Are you kidding me Woot!?

The shirt is wonderful and hilarious, and would have most definitely gotten my $20.

Then I read the self-important, self-righteous, utterly unecessary missive about the film below it.

Your writer cost you my purchase, and I'm certain a number of others.

Here's a marketing hint. When you take up the space and bandwidth to sell a product, it often helps to not insult the people who are fans and probably buyers by essentially inferring that they are fools for enjoying a piece of subjective entertainment/art.

Ricky Gervais, he is not. Therefore, your shirt can go choke on a disc.

flickdude

flickdude wrote:Are you kidding me Woot!?

The shirt is wonderful and hilarious, and would have most definitely gotten my $20.

Then I read the self-important, self-righteous, utterly unecessary missive about the film below it.

Your writer cost you my purchase, and I'm certain a number of others.

Here's a marketing hint. When you take up the space and bandwidth to sell a product, it often helps to not insult the people who are fans and probably buyers by essentially inferring that they are fools for enjoying a piece of subjective entertainment/art.

Ricky Gervais, he is not. Therefore, your shirt can go choke on a disc.

Annnnd it sold out. Great job fans...you guys are worse than Browncoats in the Getting Slapped in the Face and Paying Hard-Earned Cash for the Honor Department.

flickdude

diphallus wrote:Wow it's funny reading all these comments. Woot has always had it's own personality, and sometimes they express their own opinions in these write-ups. Everyone gonna cry over them like a bunch of 12 year olds?

And Tron: Legacy was horrible. I can't even imagine how anyone could try to defend it. The plot was horrible, the acting was horrible, the dialog was horrible. It had a decent foundation with characters and storyline potential but the writers did nothing with them.

tl;dr: I'm glad I saw it for free. It's not even worth a rental.

I can easily defend the film. For one thing, don't mistake "simple" for "horrible".

Here's some perspective...this movie is a PG-rated, Disney, sci-fi film about a dude getting sucked into a computer. The target demo is not a single person typing in this thread...me included. However...every last young boy amongst my friends and family has touted it as pretty much, "their most favorite thing, like, ever!"

They are the target, with a film just right for them (just like the first was just right for us at that age), and they include just enough nostalgia and modern cool for the dads bringing them.

They did a fine job. The crying 12 year olds, I believe, are the geekmudgeons pissing and moaning, frankly.