melquam

quality posts: 1 Private Messages melquam
CapSea wrote:It's obscenely offensive to homosexuals and the idea that that would confuse you baffles me. The definition of flaming is "a potentially pejorative adjective for a homosexual man whose behavior is reflected in a stereotypical "flamboyancy"" It's quite literally blatant homophobia on a shirt.

Phew... at least we're on the same side of the fence and I don't have to argue with someone who is homophobic.

That being said, being flaming or flamboyant is not negative, it's just a state of being. Just because the term flaming, and the rainbow are associated with hoopy people doesn't make their usage an insult nor does it make it offensive. If that were the case, there could be no depiction of a flamboyant hoopy person that would be acceptable by your and/or woot's standards. And that, in my opinion, is slightly ridiculous.

The character that I drew was not doing anything offensive, salacious, sexual, or negative. In fact, he was purposely drawn as someone who is happy and proud of who he is. Even his little dog is happy and proud.

I'm not sure if you remember Jewelwing's submission with the baby carots. Woot rejected that shirt too. And those were just flamboyant carrots. People come in all flavors. I think the rejectionator should be a little more mindful of that.

*NOTE* I know their reason for Jewelwing's rejection was "off topic" but the design was a Stephen Colbert reference to a fear of baby carrots turning him hoopy (woot edited). Very much on topic. I personally think they just reject anything with any homosexual references.

melquam

quality posts: 1 Private Messages melquam
renegadetim wrote:Really? Calm down...

How is this offensive to homosexuals? A "POTENTIAL pejorative adjective"? Well, are you saying this is like african americans using the N word? Because, homosexuals and lots of other people use "Flaming" as an adjective that aren't belittling homosexuals. So homosexuals are allowed to say it, but if someone else does, it's "pejorative"?

And homophobia on a shirt? What!?

In my opinion, I'd think ONLY homosexuals would want to wear this shirt.

However, I personally have no homosexual clout, as a straight guy, so my opinion here may not mean much. I personally don't see the big deal here though.

The artist used a visual pun to fit the derby. I doubt he/she is homophobic. Relax

And to say clearly someone found it offensive, because it got rejected, doesn't do much for me because you were probably the person responsible for it.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you for the support.

kevlar51

quality posts: 44 Private Messages kevlar51
Re: Firefly

Holy crap, I thought this was 1st place for sure!

sillykitten

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sillykitten
Skygunner wrote:Larger Image

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/016/f/a/fire_hydra_by_deludedcon-d37ccrx.png

Yeh....first derby, didn't quite do everything right this time round...next time will be different.

smaller image, anyone?
http://www.diablo.hu/images/illustration/knowledge/hydra_pic.gif

...not that I don't like your version...

joemail11

quality posts: 34 Private Messages joemail11
missmissa07 wrote:It's a robot fighting a dragon! Does it get any more awesome than that?!

The problem with this much awesome is that it would make me top-heavy if I wore it.

joemail11

quality posts: 34 Private Messages joemail11

I think your chickens coerced me into voting for this.

sharyna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharyna

If only it had been a fire hydra(nt). Artwork is very nice, though!

CameraGuy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CameraGuy
Re: What Came First?

The thumbnail didn't do this shirt justice. I almost didn't click on it, but I'm very glad I did. If we could rank all the shirts we vote on, this would be my favorite for this derby, HANDS DOWN! Well done and good luck!

nblottie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
CameraGuy wrote:The thumbnail didn't do this shirt justice. I almost didn't click on it, but I'm very glad I did. If we could rank all the shirts we vote on, this would be my favorite for this derby, HANDS DOWN! Well done and good luck!

Wow, thank you so much!

nblottie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
joemail11 wrote:I think your chickens coerced me into voting for this.

I know, they're so brooding and mean.

Nightshooter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Nightshooter
Re: Melting Defenses

is this gunna win?

dooomcat

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dooomcat

Urg... I really liked this one too :P

tenieldjo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tenieldjo

no! NO! Why is this not fogged? why is it not in first?? VOTE, PEOPLE! Pretty please?

psbaucom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psbaucom
Re: We don't need no water...

I definitely put this idea up first. Way to be original.

Phil Baucom

Leudast

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Leudast

I have lost all hope for Woot. If this doesn't print I'll burn all my shirts and never buy from this site again. Its so sad that 'cute' wins over talent every time. Such a waste.

SLCfan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SLCfan
Re: Cure Boredom!

OH COME ON!!! I would have bought this one!!

turtlegir1

quality posts: 33 Private Messages turtlegir1
Re: Foxfire

This just reminded me of how my 65-year-old mother always says she opened websites on "foxfire"

coolayers64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coolayers64
Re: Fieman's Dilemma 2

It's a good concept, but it would need to be done with enough detail so that the 'man' is clearly a Fire Fighter wearing a uniform.

syncsyn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages syncsyn
Re: History of Flame

I would love this shirt but not in pink... Black, grey, white? Any of those colors would be better than pink..

Ps - I own several pink shirts... this one with the yellow/gold and orange all up in it doesn't go with the pink as well as i would like... Preference obviously but you may get more sales with some preferential opinion poling/consideration.

No spell check on this sorry for spelling errors.

towerspace

quality posts: 12 Private Messages towerspace
Re: Concerts will never be the same

Great shirt! I hope it passes muster. Surprised the lighter didn't give an obscene gesture since the smartphone "stole it's fire" LOL!

Now my next goal is to find an app that imitates the SM0KE from these concerts. :D

celia1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages celia1
psbaucom wrote:I definitely put this idea up first. Way to be original.

WHEN WAS THAT? THE OTHER POST WAS UP @ LEAST 3 DAYS BEFORE THIS ONE

renegadetim

quality posts: 12 Private Messages renegadetim
Re: Fireflies

Why is this not getting more votes?

That other firefly one is just on the cusp of the fog, and this one is WAY better than that in my opinion. I love fireflies and this was my favorite firefly shirt in the derby. Oh well, maybe it'll have a chance some other time or place.

I still love it Boots .

foxsable

quality posts: 0 Private Messages foxsable
Re: Fireball

This reminds me of the Sun from the old Dark Sun AD&D setting, I really like it! Sort of reminds me of Brom a little bit too. Nice design.

thelostprophetx0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thelostprophetx0
psbaucom wrote:I definitely put this idea up first. Way to be original.

Never saw it, I looked before I did it.

vvhisper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vvhisper
Re: Tyger Tyger

I registered just to vote for this, only to find out I had to buy a shirt before I could vote. Which is a shame because this would be the shirt I would buy, but can't since it doesn't exist.... yet! :P Hopefully it will!

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan

COME ON EVEL...finish strong...I don't want to see you fluttering into a canyon!

AGehman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AGehman

You have more than the 6 colors on the beast. you have 3 shades of brown on the horns

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan

[quote postid="4314742" user="wootvan"]COME ON EVEL...finish strong...I don't want to see you fluttering into a canyon!

Hahaha!

Thanks so much for all the support and all the comments everyone! you are such a nice people!

I ready for the next!

woot4jam

quality posts: 6 Private Messages woot4jam
Re: The Discovery

It's a monkey with a torch.... blended nicely into the shirt... what's not to like?

was hoping this one would of got more attention.. oh well.. I liked it... better luck next time....

signature available upon request

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

This is one of the most awesome illustrations I have ever seen. I hope it receives an HM, and if not, please consider subbing it elsewhere. It would also be a great shirt to pitch to an Entomology program at a college or Zoo. :D

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Fox Maiden

Thank you so much for your comments and votes, everyone! ^_^ This was a different kind of illustration style for me to try here. Thank you for giving it such a great reception! <3

kbloomq1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kbloomq1
Re: Please, be my friend

I like this! I'm not sure what significance the albatross has in relation to the fire, but the colors are eye-catching, and you did a good job on the shape of the bird.

Misskari

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Misskari

People, you can stretch a shirt over any unwanted painting for an awesome hangable print! If this wins, I'll do an instructable tutorial for you guys.

Shirts can be easily framed, too.

Hope this places, Bass!

tjsynkral

quality posts: 15 Private Messages tjsynkral
Re: Melting Defenses

Good lord... another s'mores shirt?

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Firestarter

Thank you for the generous feedback. I have to admit I'm not sure who the target audience is for this manic design, but I had fun making it. ^_^

@Lagbert, oh boingboing.net! I knew LaughingSquid had mentionned that shirt but didn't see it had gone there too until you mentionned it.

r0ksana

quality posts: 8 Private Messages r0ksana
dalekempress wrote:the story of one little match's quest to make the world a little brighter.

I dig the shirt placement.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Lovely work Bassanimation! Wow:D

DirkDDarring

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DirkDDarring
Re: No one left to play with

I really hope this one wins, I want this shirt!

{{volmod edit: no advertising in comments. Ads for your derby designs or outside design sites belong in your signature and NOT in your comments. To edit your signature, please click on "my account," found under your username at the top of the shirt.woot page. Thank you.}}

Michael Irwin
Graphic artist
www.wix.com/idforu/idforu

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: What Came First?

Great characters and style. Love the little tough chick!

ragemonkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ragemonkey

ha, this made me lol at work. sad it's not up at the top. GMV