+ Add a Comment

WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Music is life, man. It's there for every moment of your existence: the sad song after a break-up, the driving rhythm while you're at the gym, and the jaunty show tune that won't stop playing in your head every waking minute of every single day. But music doesn't just spontaneously erupt, y'know. Someone's got to make it, and then you've got to store it somehow.That physical media had beauty, though. That's why in this derby we want to see your tribute to retro audio storage media. Maybe it's a lovingly-rendered vinyl collection, an epic mix tape, or your favorite reel to reel. Utilize the simplicity of the form and honor thy vinyl or tape or Walkman.

  • No text.
  • No Mario, Star Wars, or any other pop culture reference.
  • No bunnies, kittens, or turtles.
  • No USB sticks. Yes, they hold music; but they got no SOUL, man.





Quality Posts



ApeLad


quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

I assume musical notes and symbols = text?

lumpyspaceprincess


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lumpyspaceprincess

so sad

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg

No fair! You got the idea from a couple of recent derby entries.
Really interesting - and tough - idea, though. And couldn't you have added pandas to the no-no list?

wootvan


quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan

how about 8-track?

kevlar51


quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51

Looking forward to some stunningly beautiful victrolas.

I'll probably take a crack at one too.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

Yes! Turtles made the banned list!

kevlar51


quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
paigeg wrote:No fair! You got the idea from a couple of recent derby entries.



Honestly, I think they do that a lot.

DianaSprinkle


quality posts: 128 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

Hmmm I'm sensing swirly patterns of tape pulled out of cassettes.

clarinerd


quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd

Here's an idea: What about a walkman with some large headphones next to it with greenish swirly music coming out of them?

In all seriousness though, this could be a good derby. I like the no text or pop culture rules.

bluejester


quality posts: 567 Private Messages bluejester
wootvan wrote:how about 8-track?



Nice one!

If I had to guess, there will be at least one person who does a records as skeet-shoot discs.

Anyone out there planning on a "recycle" type theme where tapes, discs, records, and so on are used as something else? Like pants made out of cassete tapes, a jacket from CDs, and a hat out a record? (or some such things, the possibilities of "other uses" seems limitless)

uniique


quality posts: 2 Private Messages uniique

a tilteed shirt:

Assassin15


quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15
clarinerd wrote:Here's an idea: What about a walkman with some large headphones next to it with greenish swirly music coming out of them?



Hey! That shirt was the first thing I ever bought from woot!

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

bluejester


quality posts: 567 Private Messages bluejester
bluejester wrote:Nice one!

If I had to guess, there will be at least one person who does a records as skeet-shoot discs.

Anyone out there planning on a "recycle" type theme where tapes, discs, records, and so on are used as something else? Like pants made out of cassete tapes, a jacket from CDs, and a hat out a record? (or some such things, the possibilities of "other uses" seems limitless)



Oh, and before Odysseyroc starts going on about tacos, let me just say this:

thurdl01


quality posts: 11 Private Messages thurdl01
bluejester wrote:Oh, and before Odysseyroc starts going on about tacos, let me just say this:



I just finished a nice big lunch, and that still made my stomach rumble.

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Musical notes are fine, but stay away from sharps, flats, or anything that resembles something you'd see on a keyboard.

Also we're bringing the pop culture hammer down on this derby. There was a mention of that a couple of weeks ago when it was more of a suggestion. This week it's a definite rule. Don't fret pop culture aficionados, it'll be back.

wootvan


quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Im don't typically like drawing inorganic things, but geeesh, I wants to derrrbyyy! Maybe my feeble mind can figure something out...

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

paigeg wrote:No fair! You got the idea from a couple of recent derby entries.



Which ones? You might be surprised at how far in advance some of these derbies are planned.

Lish64


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lish64

Why must every derby have such delicious looking food items. I'm so hungry now!

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
paigeg wrote:No fair! You got the idea from a couple of recent derby entries.
Really interesting - and tough - idea, though. And couldn't you have added pandas to the no-no list?



odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
bluejester wrote:Oh, and before Odysseyroc starts going on about tacos, let me just say this:



I'm pretty sure that isn't a taco.





kevlar51


quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
tgentry wrote:
Also we're bringing the pop culture hammer down on this derby. There was a mention of that a couple of weeks ago when it was more of a suggestion. This week it's a definite rule. Don't fret pop culture aficionados, it'll be back.



I'm quoting just so it appears in more than one place.



kevlar51


quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
no1 wrote:



I agree with paigeg, but I'd give you a free pass.

midgerock


quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock

okay... got my idea!
Title: The Kids Don't Visit Anymore.

Scene: Old Folks Home with varied out dated data storage hanging out. One looking out the window... Some others playing checkers... one fighting an orderly... one in the corner...

how about it?
meh or yeah?

expo01


quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01

Wicked love this theme!

... No USB sticks. Yes, they hold music; but they got no SOUL, man ..... lol!!

all the best to all!!

cheers! (o;

shaggster


quality posts: 0 Private Messages shaggster

what about a real to real tape player? that would be cool

nevetnod


quality posts: 2 Private Messages nevetnod

No incidental text? Harsh.

I like celery.

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Got an idea...let's see if I can put on my 'artsy' hat this week without spilling beer all over my shirt and making a fool of myself. ^^;

Lagbert


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
midgerock wrote:okay... got my idea!
Title: The Kids Don't Visit Anymore.

Scene: Old Folks Home with varied out dated data storage hanging out. One looking out the window... Some others playing checkers... one fighting an orderly... one in the corner...

how about it?
meh or yeah?



Sounds like a good concept - I think the execution is going to be critical. Too much stuff and the design is going to feel cluttered and lose focus.

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 217 Private Messages Spiritgreen

I'm going with a simple idea that I can hopefully pour some love into.

An unspooled tape mummy.




Looking forward to some sweet designs from this one. :^)

mindputtee


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mindputtee
bluejester wrote:Oh, and before Odysseyroc starts going on about tacos, let me just say this:



Oh em gee. Looks like pure deliciousness.

Bio tests are conspiring against me to prevent me from drawing though =(

Current thought though, a phonograph that blows musical note bubbles.

Lagbert


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
wootvan wrote:how about 8-track?



Yay Mobius Loop based media!

Lagbert


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
Spiritgreen wrote:I'm going with a simple idea that I can hopefully pour some love into.

An unspooled tape mummy.




Looking forward to some sweet designs from this one. :^)



Nice! Suggestion: The sarcophagus he's coming out of could be a tape case with a sarcophagus as the cover art

SeedUvPain


quality posts: 11 Private Messages SeedUvPain
midgerock wrote:okay... got my idea!
Title: The Kids Don't Visit Anymore.

Scene: Old Folks Home with varied out dated data storage hanging out. One looking out the window... Some others playing checkers... one fighting an orderly... one in the corner...

how about it?
meh or yeah?



I seriously came on here to post the same idea

bluejester


quality posts: 567 Private Messages bluejester
odysseyroc wrote:I'm pretty sure that isn't a taco.



Nope, it's better. A slice of heaven we here in my state call Beau Jo's Pizza pies. They sell their awesomeness in poundage, not diameter.

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
tgentry wrote:Musical notes are fine, but stay away from sharps, flats, or anything that resembles something you'd see on a keyboard.

Also we're bringing the pop culture hammer down on this derby. There was a mention of that a couple of weeks ago when it was more of a suggestion. This week it's a definite rule. Don't fret pop culture aficionados, it'll be back.



are boomboxes allowed? they are older than walkmans and more awesome.

chumpmagic


quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic

Here is my first idea. I think I am going to run with it.

Party Mix!


midgerock


quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Lagbert wrote:Sounds like a good concept - I think the execution is going to be critical. Too much stuff and the design is going to feel cluttered and lose focus.


yeah, I hear ya. May need to bring it down a bit so its not too cluttered. I appreciate the feedback.

SeedUvPain wrote:I seriously came on here to post the same idea


ah man. hope no bad blood.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

The Mighty Boosh - Ep 10 - The Priest and The Beast

bahahaha!

(it's on youtube, if anyone is interested)

Not sure if that means various 'tape man' monsters will be considered pop culture or not...

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.