kevlar51

quality posts: 45 Private Messages kevlar51

Anyone up for a collab? My availability is going to be limited for the next few hours, but if you're interested, feel free to send me a PM.

omnitarian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages omnitarian

I have a great idea for this, but it involves text

C'mon, how is everyone wanting to create a vinyl cover or CD case gonna do represent that without any text?

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj

In my head I can see a stylized phonograph, with the speaker in the shape of a dragon (cause dragons are always cool) and flaming musical notes coming out.

Maybe this will be the week I finally get off my butt and submit.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

megsck wrote:are boomboxes allowed? they are older than walkmans and more awesome.

We're looking for some kind of nod to devices that the music is stored on, so for instance an old radio would not fit that. However boomboxes and Walkman's both had cassette players, so you could potentially make the design on topic using one of these devices. Just make sure it's clear that there's some kind of out of date music storage device involved.

kevlar51

quality posts: 45 Private Messages kevlar51
novastarj wrote:No USB sticks, but it doesn't say no Sansa. Sansa's got soul!

I'm interpreting the theme "retro audio" as precluding MP3/downloadable audio players

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

kevlar51 wrote:I'm interpreting the theme "retro audio" as precluding MP3/downloadable audio players

This is correct, no MP3 players.

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj
kevlar51 wrote:I'm interpreting the theme "retro audio" as precluding MP3/downloadable audio players

D'oh!

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

The ads are making me giggle. :D "convert tapes and records to mp3!" Go, google ads, go!

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
bluejester wrote:Nope, it's better. A slice of heaven we here in my state call Beau Jo's Pizza pies. They sell their awesomeness in poundage, not diameter.

Looks good, but I'm going to take you claim of "better" with a grain of salt. It would take a lot to beat a taco de suadero from Tacos El Gordo in San Diego.

Fumi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fumi
Spiritgreen wrote:I'm going with a simple idea that I can hopefully pour some love into.

An unspooled tape mummy.

Looking forward to some sweet designs from this one. :^)

I'd buy it. ^-^

rue842

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rue842

CD's are retro?! How freakin old am I...

EBOLAinfectedMonkey

quality posts: 3 Private Messages EBOLAinfectedMonkey
chumpmagic wrote:Here is my first idea. I think I am going to run with it.

Party Mix!

hahaha, nice! May I ask what medium you used for that sketch?

1. Design shirts
2. ????????
3. PROFIT

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
EBOLAinfectedMonkey wrote:hahaha, nice! May I ask what medium you used for that sketch?

I have a program called sketchbook that I use (also use a wacom tablet). Its a very limited program, but it great for roughing concepts out quickly and successfully.

logomachinist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages logomachinist
odysseyroc wrote:Looks good, but I'm going to take you claim of "better" with a grain of salt. It would take a lot to beat a taco de suadero from Tacos El Gordo in San Diego.

Haha, you guys have finally pushed me into the habit of only ever checking the new derby thread with lunch already on my plate. It's just too hard any other way.

Anyhoo, I have a few ideas kicking around, but my plagiameter keeps making that beeping noise that can only mean I am right about to start sketching a design that has been printed in five places already.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
no1 wrote:

Now, now - you and tjost have the panda lock this oddball derby. We can be panda-free for a week.

profbrendan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
bluejester wrote:Nope, it's better. A slice of heaven we here in my state call Beau Jo's Pizza pies. They sell their awesomeness in poundage, not diameter.

You in Colorado? I frequented a few Beau Jo'seses there growing up.

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain
midgerock wrote:ah man. hope no bad blood.

No way not at all...just funny how the group mind works sometimes

paigeg

Too much bread, man! You're paying for bread! I love a good pizza, but that much crust is just criminal. I'm sure it's tasty, but come up here to Upstate NY some time for proportional awesomeness from Ruggierio's.

sillykris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sillykris
tgentry wrote:We're looking for some kind of nod to devices that the music is stored on, so for instance an old radio would not fit that. However boomboxes and Walkman's both had cassette players, so you could potentially make the design on topic using one of these devices. Just make sure it's clear that there's some kind of out of date music storage device involved.

Are phonographs and such *too* retro?

paigeg

odysseyroc wrote:Looks good, but I'm going to take you claim of "better" with a grain of salt. It would take a lot to beat a taco de suadero from Tacos El Gordo in San Diego.

>facepalm< Here we go again! I SO wish the hub wasn't making pasta tonite. I'll be full. But I won't be satisfied.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
paigeg wrote:Now, now - you and tjost have the panda lock this oddball derby. We can be panda-free for a week.

? i don't have a panda in the oddball derby!

bluejester

quality posts: 560 Private Messages bluejester
profbrendan wrote:You in Colorado? I frequented a few Beau Jo'seses there growing up.

Yup, I live in Colorado, home of Beau Jo's and the infamous demon DIA horse "Blucifer." Typically if the wife and I want good pizza we head up to Idaho Springs.

paigeg

I'm mulling over two concepts, input appreciated.
The first is a Victorian dude bobpping to a small Victrola, held on shoulder as if it were a boom-box.
The second is a Victorian lady boogying out to her Victrola.

paigeg

no1 wrote:? i don't have a panda in the oddball derby!

Sorry, there were a couple in the fog - I thought one was yours. My bad!

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis

I think Invasion qualifies under these rules..resubmit plz?

profbrendan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
bluejester wrote:Yup, I live in Colorado, home of Beau Jo's and the infamous demon DIA horse "Blucifer." Typically if the wife and I want good pizza we head up to Idaho Springs.

Ah yes, that terrifying horse.

I used to go to Idaho Springs pretty frequently as a kid and we'd pin up our napkin drawings every time, then when the location on Colorado Boulevard opened up we started going to that one too.

Damn, now I miss Beau-Jo's since I don't live there anymore. Mehhhh-moreeees.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
paigeg wrote:Sorry, there were a couple in the fog - I thought one was yours. My bad!

heh. i am prolly never ever ever again going to be in the fog on a thursday.

dalekempress

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dalekempress
omnitarian wrote:I have a great idea for this, but it involves text

C'mon, how is everyone wanting to create a vinyl cover or CD case gonna do represent that without any text?

I'd like to second that. How ya supposed to do a mix tape w/out the mix?

zekecatz

quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz
Josephus wrote:Yes! Turtles made the banned list!

That means we'll see penguins.

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

I have two half concepts -
A - Spool of music thread...
B - Delicious music duet sandwich.

Not sure which one I'll pursue...

Title suggestions and or other thoughts welcome!

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
tgentry wrote:This is correct, no MP3 players.

No MP3 players depicted at all? What if one was juxtaposed with a cassette and/or vinyl?

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
bluejester wrote:Oh, and before Odysseyroc starts going on about tacos, let me just say this:

I did not realize how much I missed BeauJo's until just now. I want honey on my crust. =(

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

Mavyn

Gatzby wrote:I did not realize how much I missed BeauJo's until just now. I want honey on my crust. =(

I was thinking the same thing!

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

Sound bite - Work in progress...

paigeg

nathanwpyle wrote:Sound bite - Work in progress...

Lol! Yes, definitely better with a bite out of it.
For the thread - maybe have it weaving itself into some kind of apparel? I'd say a Bolero jacket, if it was OK to title the music. But with no text...

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS

Colorado Pies at their finest.

paigeg

novastarj wrote:In my head I can see a stylized phonograph, with the speaker in the shape of a dragon (cause dragons are always cool) and flaming musical notes coming out.

Maybe this will be the week I finally get off my butt and submit.

Go for it!

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan

My first ideas, do you have any preference?

Thanks guys!

Mavyn

Can't do the last one, no ipod/mp3 players.

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan
nathanwpyle wrote:I have two half concepts -
A - Spool of music thread...
B - Delicious music duet sandwich.

Not sure which one I'll pursue...

Title suggestions and or other thoughts welcome!

B please!