walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan
chumpmagic wrote:Here is my first idea. I think I am going to run with it.

Party Mix!

Winner! love it so much!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Johndis5 wrote:No MP3 players depicted at all? What if one was juxtaposed with a cassette and/or vinyl?

Hmmm, good question... let me discuss that with the team after lunch and get back to you. And by team I mean one other person and by lunch I mean a bottle of whiskey.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Mavyn wrote:Can't do the last one, no ipod/mp3 players.

Travis? Just one more leetle clarification? A number of folks seem to be headed for comparisons of media which, by nature involves depicting the more modern alongside the obsolete. So, once and for all -
Modern media like MP3 devices are truly verboten?

paigeg

tgentry wrote:Hmmm, good question... let me discuss that with the team after lunch and get back to you. And by team I mean one other person and by lunch I mean a bottle of whiskey.

^In vino veritas. NOW we'll get the right answer.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
tgentry wrote:Which ones? You might be surprised at how far in advance some of these derbies are planned.

11:45 A.M.?

paigeg

Josephus wrote:11:45 A.M.?

Yeah, Pacific time.

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan

Top image...would making the wheels 45rpm records be too much?

walmazan wrote:My first ideas, do you have any preference?

Would making the wheels 45rpm records be too much?

tgentry

Staff

tgentry wrote:Hmmm, good question... let me discuss that with the team after lunch and get back to you. And by team I mean one other person and by lunch I mean a bottle of whiskey.

OK so here's the official stance on MP3 players: on it's own an MP3 player is not on topic as it's not retro. However, if you have the retro part covered with a tape or record or something, then what you include after or in addition to that (i.e. an MP3 player) is up to you, as long as it's not on the official ban list.

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

Thanks guys!

Definitely the top one for me! Love it as is, or with more, looking forward to it!

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan
wootvan wrote:Top image...would making the wheels 45rpm records be too much?

Would making the wheels 45rpm records be too much?

mmm! I like the idea. I will try!

Thanks wootvan!

kinzoku

quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku

Man, I want to work at Woot...

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
bluejester wrote:Yup, I live in Colorado, home of Beau Jo's and the infamous demon DIA horse "Blucifer." Typically if the wife and I want good pizza we head up to Idaho Springs.

Groovy. I too live in Colorado... Castle Rock, to be exact.
After climbing 14ers, Idaho Springs is the place to hit, either for a pie at BeauJo's or pub food and beer at Tommyknocker's.

imsochady

quality posts: 28 Private Messages imsochady

I went to The Decemberists concert this Sunday, and it was AWESEOM!!!!!! haha, sorry, I thought I'd share something music related!

kevlar51

quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
tgentry wrote:OK so here's the official stance on MP3 players: on it's own an MP3 player is not on topic as it's not retro. However, if you have the retro part covered with a tape or record or something, then what you include after or in addition to that (i.e. an MP3 player) is up to you, as long as it's not on the official ban list.

Can products resembling Apple products be considered pop culture?

I'd prefer not to see 40 entries featuring an ipod/pad/phone and then something retro in the background y'know?

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02

Here we go... I think I actually have a solid entry this week...

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck

im going away for the weekend so i dont really have time, but i thought of this simple idea, that i could probably get done before i head out. im gonna draw each tape differently with different things on them, and then do simple spot colors behind them. i call it mixedtapes

JoysAreJummy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JoysAreJummy

I was thinking since 8 tracks and cassettes are rectangular while CDs and Vinyls are circular I could do some sort of love story/rivalry between the two groups

Eh?

JoysAreJummy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JoysAreJummy

Also I have another idea, its a party scene where 4 people are dressed as an 8 track, cassette, CD, and vinyl and look who just arrived

Some guy looking smug dressed as a pirate.

Sort of like a commentary on piracy.

eh?

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02

and by "discuss" you mean sing loudly until you get kicked out of the bar...

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 217 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Lagbert wrote:Nice! Suggestion: The sarcophagus he's coming out of could be a tape case with a sarcophagus as the cover art

Hah! Brilliant idea. I'll have to see if I can pilfer that. -_^

PowerPosture

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PowerPosture
SeedUvPain wrote:I seriously came on here to post the same idea

ha, Ditto

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots

I've got two I'm working on. The first one's almost finished, the second one notsomuch. I like cassette tapes (a lot), even though they were such a pain.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots

Thanks guys!

The top one and the second one are great!

DJTweekNYC

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJTweekNYC

Here is my concept:

Let me know what you folks think. It's been several weeks since I derbied and I LOVE this theme.

tgentry

Staff

kevlar51 wrote:Can products resembling Apple products be considered pop culture?

I'd prefer not to see 40 entries featuring an ipod/pad/phone and then something retro in the background y'know?

Normal copyright rules will apply, but in general MP3 players won't be considered pop culture in and of themselves.

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan

Title: "Genius Bar c.1986"

DJTweekNYC

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJTweekNYC
wootvan wrote:Title: "Genius Bar c.1986"

I think they're fairly different... in the tape being a person. I am also looking at a totally different design style and asthetic with a bit more detail. Do you guys think these are too close to submit?

ekio

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ekio
DJTweekNYC wrote:I think they're fairly different... in the tape being a person. I am also looking at a totally different design style and asthetic with a bit more detail. Do you guys think these are too close to submit?

I agree, I think they are different enough. One is an anthropomorphic cassette and the other is more of an instructional graphic.

Both= love to me ^_^

juliaL719

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juliaL719
graffd02 wrote:Here we go... I think I actually have a solid entry this week...

A thousand times yes, please.

Design = solid, and there aren't any unexplainable arms, legs, or eyes in this one.

dwayri

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dwayri
graffd02 wrote:Here we go... I think I actually have a solid entry this week...

I like it. Not crazy about baby blue (but you will get complaints no matter what shirt color you choose). How about switching the colors for a navy blue shirt with light blue & white print?

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 11 Private Messages SeedUvPain

I was walking around my neighborhood today looking for inspiration when it hit me. Comments and suggestions welcome. Thanks!

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman
SeedUvPain wrote:I was walking around my neighborhood today looking for inspiration when it hit me. Comments and suggestions welcome. Thanks!

I smell win with this concept. If you nail your execution, which you normally do, than it should be a shoe in.

Spiritgreen

So yeah, working on the old fashionned version of the iPod Zombie. This used to be me. :^)

My color rough:

Any suggestions about the design (or a name!) please post 'em. I'm going to start drawing properly now.

MJDeViant

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MJDeViant

If I used a design A LONG time ago for a derby, it wasn't selected, but I want to re-use it here after I touch it up more is that allowed?

Let the boring call you crazy.
Let the crazy call you boring.

therabbit86ed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages therabbit86ed
Spiritgreen wrote:So yeah, working on the old fashionned version of the iPod Zombie. This used to be me. :^)

My color rough:

Any suggestions about the design (or a name!) please post 'em. I'm going to start drawing properly now.

I love it... but I'm afraid that mummies could be considered Pop Culture?

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

I <3 the look of records... trying to just make a wearable record shirt. Thoughts? Any shirt color preferences (kelly green, kelly green with record player arm, navy blue - can be with or without arm).

kevlar51

quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
MJDeViant wrote:If I used a design A LONG time ago for a derby, it wasn't selected, but I want to re-use it here after I touch it up more is that allowed?

Resubs are allowed if you've made substantial changes.

I'm not entirely sure how much of a change constitutes "substantial" though.

dalekempress

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dalekempress
jasneko wrote:I <3 the look of records... trying to just make a wearable record shirt. Thoughts? Any shirt color preferences (kelly green, kelly green with record player arm, navy blue - can be with or without arm).

I like the first one. Especially like the green w the purple label. Too much emphasis on the spinning on the blue shirt.

Spiritgreen

therabbit86ed wrote:I love it... but I'm afraid that mummies could be considered Pop Culture?

Thanks! And I think it's okay. Mummies are real Egyptian things.

paigeg

graffd02 wrote:and by "discuss" you mean sing loudly until you get kicked out of the bar...

Guide Entry!