StealthyCow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StealthyCow

I like how so many of the quality posts are about the write-up

darkinc

quality posts: 29 Private Messages darkinc

All I gotta say is quit your paranoid androidin... You don't see all those who like this type of shirt paranoid androiding every day they don't show up.

Majority rules, now go back to being a sheep till the next derby voting time!

sexylittlerobot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages sexylittlerobot

Uh oh guys, we'd better tread carefully. The Woot staff sounds frustrated...we might find ourselves contending with a Woot staff Electoral College soon!

I love this write up and I love the dedication to democracy, even when it keeps resulting in redundant shirts. I dislike Ramy shirts but such is democracy. :\ Start voting for all the non-Ramy entries and maybe we can get the other fogged designs printed!

amh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages amh

If you have a Walkman, wear this shirt with it. It will make your Walkman look soo-much cooler!

skippykj

quality posts: 16 Private Messages skippykj

I wish the write ups had the contributing writers listed so I could stop guessing who my favorite is.

bluejester

quality posts: 549 Private Messages bluejester

rom

quality posts: 54 Private Messages rom

reminds me of The Imposter design. might get one to complement it

viper9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages viper9

Love the write-up. Well done, Woot. Well done.

g35girl

quality posts: 4 Private Messages g35girl
JadenKale wrote:I thought this printed once or twice already...

*facepalm*

Imposter, yes. Music Is Life, no, unless you think that every shirt with headphones on it is a ripoff of MIL.

viper9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages viper9
bluejester wrote:This shirt reminds me of this video.

LOL

leftielespaul

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leftielespaul

My, you guys ARE a bunch of haters aren't you. Let me be a rare voice here and say CONGRATULATIONS, ramyb.

It's amusing to me that you guys are so stuck on the fact it shares some similarities with previous shirts created by the artist. The ideas came from the same mind...what do you expect? Complete dissimilarity in each and every piece an artist makes? Artists will often make variations of a similar theme that can be seen spanning multiple works. And I honestly thought it was clever that ramyb even thought to combine their previous themes in such a way to create a shirt fitting for this derby.

Whether its concept is brand new or not, it is obviously one that is well-liked. I see nothing wrong with having shirts that share certain elements.

bluejester

g35girl wrote:Imposter, yes. Music Is Life, no, unless you think that every shirt with headphones on it is a ripoff of MIL.

It's the style of headphones that are the issue here. They look the same, only smaller.

JadenKale

quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale
bluejester wrote:It's the style of headphones that are the issue here. They look the same, only smaller.

I'm glad you see why I referenced it.

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost
bluejester wrote:It's the style of headphones that are the issue here. They look the same, only smaller.

I bought a set of noise canceling headphones. But I couldn't hear anything...

Marcuslweger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Marcuslweger

Sweet! In for three- Advil.

• ASCII Nightx2 / Acquired Taste/Audio Mythos/Willing to endure scientific research/Nevermore/Just The Two Of Us (one of each)/Night Owl/Cthulhu BBQ/DON’T stop to smell the roses!/Poe-etic
• Random x3 (9 shirts)
• +12 WooTs

amh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages amh

I wonder if "quality posts" status is completely arbitrary...

darkinc

quality posts: 29 Private Messages darkinc
NightGhost wrote:I bought a set of noise canceling headphones. But I couldn't hear anything...

They only work if your a penguin!

vivbot

quality posts: 28 Private Messages vivbot

honestly, I'm impressed that the Woot writers are able to come up with such entertaining write-ups for ramyb shirts now without just copying and pasting their older ones and slapping a shiny sticker on them. if I could give you cookies, I would.

bluejester

leftielespaul wrote:My, you guys ARE a bunch of haters aren't you. Let me be a rare voice here and say CONGRATULATIONS, ramyb.

It's amusing to me that you guys are so stuck on the fact it shares some similarities with previous shirts created by the artist. The ideas came from the same mind...what do you expect? Complete dissimilarity in each and every piece an artist makes? Artists will often make variations of a similar theme that can be seen spanning multiple works. And I honestly thought it was clever that ramyb even thought to combine their previous themes in such a way to create a shirt fitting for this derby.

Whether its concept is brand new or not, it is obviously one that is well-liked. I see nothing wrong with having shirts that share certain elements.

Speaking as a former fan of Ramyb's I'll try to make part of the argument as to why this win is frustrating in kinder terms. First, woot has rejected designs, even Ramyb's designs before, when they were similar to shirts already in the reckoning. As far as artists making variations on a theme, I'd point to Walmazan as an excellent example of making variations on a theme. Most of his shirts are antropormorphised food or other everyday objects. Typically he does food, but not always. When he does do "living" food designs, they aren't always variations of one food item giving another food item an ironic boquet (Such as in True Love).

Last point, you are right, there is nothing wrong with having shirts share similar elements. The problem that a good chunk of us here have with this shirt though is that it is so similar to the "Imposter" shirt that it seems like even Ramyb is out of ways to exploit cutesy animals for profit and has hit the proverbial bottom of the barrel and then said, "Hey I've got a great idea! How about this penguin jumps that barrel!"

bluejester

Marcuslweger wrote:Sweet! In for three- Advil.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA! This post is the epitome of what it means to LOL at something.

Supersugar

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Supersugar

Fine, Woot. If we buy this one, will you promise to bounce the Monday morning Weeble-wooble "Imposter" at long last?

Jasujo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jasujo

XD I love the writeup. As someone else mentioned, it would be nice if authors' names were listed.

kimvy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimvy
easysailor wrote:there are 5 penguins

Very nicely played, sir.

azdarkknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages azdarkknight

Woot wont reject a ramyb shirt even if it runs foul of the rules just because they know parents will buy the cute shirts for their kids = $ for woot.

Nothing for me this weekend I think..have a good one everybody

nowikissyou

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nowikissyou

I do not get this hate, I really don't. If woot! is a business and makes more money when they cater to the most customers, having the popular vote to pick the winner makes perfect sense.

While I do enjoy the write up and the juicy Internet drama that keeps unfolding, it saddens me that so many of you are swift to dismiss the current democratic process and put up your little mustaches while hailing Sieg Woot! because you are elitist pricks incapable of accepting other people's taste in tshirt art.

If wooters want dozens of quasi-equal motifs, let them have them. Everyone else can eat sour grapes (or ask their favorite design's author to print somewhere else).

Woot!, I love you. Thank you for being the way you are.

Ramyb, I don't love you and I don't like 95% of your contributions (today's included), but I hope that you are allowed and encouraged to submit on further derbies, along with everyone else.

benjythebold

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benjythebold
Darquis wrote:I'm pretty sure this artist ripped off that guy who did Impostor.

Not sure if someone already replied to this yet cuz it's late and I've got a mid-term paper to finish for later this morning (and some sleep to get somewhere in between now and then) but, sir, please note the other posts intimating that Impostor was a collaborative effort between the artist it is credited to and ramby. It's not a rip off, it's reminiscent of his own work.

Gratz, ramby on another win. "Cute" is OK by me. We can get artsy shirts from a lot of places, and we can get Jatravartid "cute" shirts from lots of places, but w00t is one of the few places where we can get "cute" shirts that are actually intelligent with themes that are personally applicable to many of our lives.

eco2geek

quality posts: 51 Private Messages eco2geek
ambergreen wrote:I wonder how Ramyb feels when he reads the writeups. Smug?

He's crying all the way to the bank.

We have met the enemy and he is us. -- Pogo

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris

This actually gave me an idea. I'm just sad it's too late to enter Gummi Retro Park.

You guys are silly :P

nmdjones

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nmdjones

Can I get the write-up printed on a shirt instead? I already bought my girlfriend "Impostor," and I don't wanna clash.

derkis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages derkis
leftielespaul wrote:My, you guys ARE a bunch of haters aren't you. Let me be a rare voice here and say CONGRATULATIONS, ramyb.

"It's amusing to me" that you speak authoritatively about artistic integrity and creativity while simultaneously endorsing ramyb as a collective ("their") whose work is validated by its mass appeal.

For starters, artists typically choose a theme to develop a portfolio of work around because said theme has enough depth to warrant extended exploration, because it is of significant personal interest/significance, and/or because it is a convenient subject for experimenting with personally untested techniques.

Ramyb rehashing his designs for the purposes of commerce demonstrates none of these qualities. His work rarely (if ever) demonstrates any attempt at stylistic derivation, he alone has beaten the "cute animals"/"odd man out" horse to death so many times that I'm afraid the entire species teeters towards extinction, and personally I don't find his affinity for penguins to be a compelling theme. Though I wouldn't blame him for it, I'm pretty sure he doesn't actually care about cute animals and just likes money.

Is ramyb a talented artist? No (sorry, his abilities as a draftsman are lackluster, but that's another post entirely).

Does ramyb produce creative designs, or demonstrate any qualities of a captial-A Artist? No.

Are ramyb's designs both successful and profitable? Undeniably so.

He can keep doing what he's doing, but ramyb is to shirt.woot what Thomas Kinkade is to fine art.

CapSea

quality posts: 54 Private Messages CapSea
benjythebold wrote:Not sure if someone already replied to this yet cuz it's late and I've got a mid-term paper to finish for later this morning (and some sleep to get somewhere in between now and then) but, sir, please note the other posts intimating that Impostor was a collaborative effort between the artist it is credited to and ramby. It's not a rip off, it's reminiscent of his own work.

That was the joke.

CapSea

nowikissyou wrote:I do not get this hate, I really don't. If woot! is a business and makes more money when they cater to the most customers, having the popular vote to pick the winner makes perfect sense.

While I do enjoy the write up and the juicy Internet drama that keeps unfolding, it saddens me that so many of you are swift to dismiss the current democratic process and put up your little mustaches while hailing Sieg Woot! because you are elitist pricks incapable of accepting other people's taste in tshirt art.

If wooters want dozens of quasi-equal motifs, let them have them. Everyone else can eat sour grapes (or ask their favorite design's author to print somewhere else).

Woot!, I love you. Thank you for being the way you are.

Ramyb, I don't love you and I don't like 95% of your contributions (today's included), but I hope that you are allowed and encouraged to submit on further derbies, along with everyone else.

This assumes, erroneously, that they wouldn't make as much money printing another shirt.

goneferal

quality posts: 18 Private Messages goneferal

+1

And ramy built it and they came by the carloads with their 20 dollar bills, memories so thick they had to wipe them from their faces.

And I'm not even from Nebraska. Or Iowa.

CapSea

CapSea wrote:This assumes, erroneously, that they wouldn't make as much money printing another shirt.

I'm going to expand on this.

On the Internet, you can create your own market. There are billions of people in the world. All you need is 3000 for a sellout. Woot itself gets hundreds of thousands of visitors a day, and that excludes shirt.woot.

Right now, the people that shop on this site regularly are the ones that like these types of shirts. Those that don't have gone to other websites.

Now, if Woot decided to no longer print a shirt like this, they would initially experience a drop in sales since those that buy this type of shirt won't be buying, and they don't currently have as big a market to sell the more artsy stuff.

But over time, they'd rebuild that artsy market, until eventually it would be large enough that the more artsy shirts sell as much (or at the very least, close enough that it is negligible) as these types of shirts. Other shirt sites that focus on art and get way fewer visitors than woot does sell nearly as many of their good shirts, and that's at a higher price. There are more than enough people that want artsy shirts. They just don't come to woot anymore.

I think there is a place for these types of shirts on woot on rare occasion. Every week is not that occasion.

juhkystar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juhkystar

As much as I love giant headphones and walkmans, for some reason, the right side of the headset just looks like it's misplaced on the penguin's head to me. It's a well made design for sure and I really want to love it for having both PENGUINS and GIANT HEADPHONES but sadly I can't quite ignore that one nitpicky thing that's bugging me. =(

~Sketchbook Romantic~

tonymontana444

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tonymontana444

Dear Woot writers,

*Standing ovation*

Sincerely,
Tonymontana444

staffell

quality posts: 4 Private Messages staffell
nowikissyou wrote:I do not get this hate, I really don't. If woot! is a business and makes more money when they cater to the most customers, having the popular vote to pick the winner makes perfect sense.

I don't hate ramyb, and equally I don't hate woot for realising what makes money. I hate all the people who keep buying this trash. :p

No advertising, pls.

wolfchik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wolfchik

i love the write-up. would have loved the design -if- it had only been the one penguin, the others are unnecessary and just kill it for me.
the penguin in the middle?... i can relate, 'cause i OWN the mohawk and the big headphones. what better way to get people to leave me alone ;)

lostnightsoul

quality posts: 10 Private Messages lostnightsoul

Most times remixes turn trash into treasure. Sadly this is not the case. Sadder still is that this got the most points, and more than likely sellout and being in the top 20 for who knows how many weeks.

thewronggrape

quality posts: 44 Private Messages thewronggrape
nowikissyou wrote:I do not get this hate, I really don't. If woot! is a business and makes more money when they cater to the most customers, having the popular vote to pick the winner makes perfect sense...[snip]
I hope that you are allowed and encouraged to submit on further derbies, along with everyone else.

Agreed. This shirt isn't my style but obviously enough people like it for it to have taken first place. It's not ramyb's fault that a lot of people like and vote for his designs.